Key Bags Left Unattended!

vision14k

After having The Key in our last cruise, we determined it to be a waste of money. We are on the Symphony now and don’t miss having it so far. For those thinking about getting it, in part for dropping their bags off for early delivery to their stateroom, you may be interested to hear that they were left unattended. While waiting for our cabin to open, I noticed a cart in the lobby unattended with several bags on it. I recognized the tags on the bags as being Key tags. Just FYI, if you were hoping to drop your bags with any valuables off early, they could grow legs fairly easily!

EAC61007-261B-46C1-A1C4-CCEBE335D552.jpeg

0210DEC5-D4AB-4C3B-9407-B688F9FE1F6F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Have you cruised very much?

There are frequently piles of unattended  luggage left at various point on the ship that are waiting to be taken to delivered to the cabin.

That is why all valuables should be carried onto the ship by the passenger.

Yes, I have. The expectation, at least mine, is that for The Key, they would be delivering your carry-on bags to your cabin personally.  I would not expect them to just put them in a pile in a main lobby and leave them unattended. 

Again, these ARE things carried onto the ship. Have you read about The Key much?

Edited by vision14k
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I’m thinking there may be some unrealistic expectations here.

Im under the assumption that anytime my bags are out of my personal control, my bags may be and probably will be unattended at some point in time.

Clearly I personally would expect more for The Key, which is the purpose of my post.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, vision14k said:

Yes, I have. The expectation, at least mine, is that for The Key, they would be delivering your carry-on bags to your cabin personally.  I would not expect them to just put them in a pile unattended in a main lobby and leave them unattended. 

I agree. If I were paying extra to leave my carryons (which typically contain valuables and medicine), I would certainly expect them to be watched until they can be delivered to my cabin. Otherwise, I would have just packed this stuff in my regular luggage. I find this inexcusable. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I would never just drop a bag with valuables or medicine.  

Now that most ships have you getting your key in your cabin, many times we find the cabin door open, until we get our card and lock it.  

Too much risk in it going missing 

• Like 5

Never leave medications/valuables in someone else's care, period.

I have read about The Key program quite a bit, and never did I assume that the person who receives your bag at boarding time then personally walks it immediately to your room.  

• Like 10

6 hours ago, vision14k said:

Clearly I personally would expect more for The Key, which is the purpose of my post.

"Carry-on bag drop off in the Main Dining Room with stateroom delivery**" doesn't mean  someone is personally going to watch your luggage every second. Unbelievable that you would let your carry on out of your site.

Edited by cruisinfanatic

10 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

"Carry-on bag drop off in the Main Dining Room with stateroom delivery**" doesn't mean  someone is personally going to watch your luggage every second. Unbelievable that you would let your carry on out of your site.

Well, as indicated in my original post, I do not have The Key, so my carry on luggage was never out of my sight.  Unbelievable that you wouldn’t read my post prior to commenting.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, vision14k said:

Well, as indicated in my original post, I do not have The Key, so my carry on luggage was never out of my sight.  Unbelievable that you wouldn’t read my post prior to commenting.

Should have written Unbelievable that anyone would let their carry ons out of site.

So, the unwritten rule is that you always carry your medicine and products that you don't want to be handled by baggage handlers.  Although I think the Key is a waste of money, it is designed for those that like to cram all their clothes into a carry on bag (to save money at the airlines) and than pay money at RCCL to handle their bags direct instead of giving it to the porters outside. 

You still must as a recommendation, carry your "valuables" yourself.  They are not responsible for it, only responsible for delivering it the cabin.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, Homosassa said:

Have you cruised very much?

There are frequently piles of unattended  luggage left at various point on the ship that are waiting to be taken to delivered to the cabin.

That is why all valuables should be carried onto the ship by the passenger.

I actually like the stairwell dump.  99% of the time, that's the way I we get our bags.  I see mine and grab.  

Edited by LESLIEKURZ

6 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

So, the unwritten rule is that you always carry your medicine and products that you don't want to be handled by baggage handlers.  Although I think the Key is a waste of money, it is designed for those that like to cram all their clothes into a carry on bag (to save money at the airlines) and than pay money at RCCL to handle their bags direct instead of giving it to the porters outside. 

You still must as a recommendation, carry your "valuables" yourself.  They are not responsible for it, only responsible for delivering it the cabin.

Huh?  I don't think you know what The Key is...  It's a heck of a lot more than handling a carryon bag...

At least it’s inside the ship I don’t understand how people give their luggage’s to the porter and leave. I always chase someone that is pushing the cart inside the terminal and just drop it in there, now port of Miami has a better system you can drop it yourself and it goes straight to the terminal. 

We learned the hard way never to trust valuables like medications and jewelry to anyone else anyway. Back in the early aughts when I was but a wee traveler my mom put jewelry and my father's very expensive, very heavily controlled medications in a bag she intended to carry off the ship herself. Dad persuaded her to leave the bag, not knowing what was in it, for assisted disembarking because they were already managing two other carry-ons (well, I suppose, carry-offs) and two young children, and he knew he was going to have to shoulder Mom's bag when she got stuck with the backpacks us kids were sick of carrying. 

Guess which bag RCCL lost. It took almost a month for Mom to get the doctors to rewrite prescriptions for Dad's pills and get the insurance and pharmacy to refill them. The bag *did* come back, eight weeks later, by magic, right after she finally got the travel insurance to pay out on the missing jewelry. (She mailed them back the check, which leads into another funny story of her going back and forth with not wanting to claim a check on items that weren't actually missing, because that's the kind of person Mom is.)

Even when I was considering the Key (which I ultimately decided against) I didn't like the idea of leaving my carry-on with someone and out of my sight. I'd go nuts not knowing where my boarding documents and jewelry were. My big hardbody suitcase full of clothes can go unattended and be fine; some of my stuff going in my carry-on, no way in hell. It's not really that surprising to me to find out the Key drop-off goes unattended at various points, particularly on larger ships. There's bound to be a lot of it and probably one poor shmuck who has to watch and deliver it all.

Edited by booplesnoople
  • Like 1