Random Notes, Navigator, Montreal-NY, 10/3-10/15/19, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Bonsoir from the Sofitel Montreal!  It is just shy of six years ago that I wrote the first post of my Montreal-Miami blog from this hotel.  

We loved that cruise and have had a Montreal-New York itinerary on our let’s-do-with-Shauna list for the last several years.  This will be our daughter’s seventh Regent sailing with Ginny and me, and it promises to be as extra-special as she is.  She’ll turn Gold (tier) the moment she walks on the ship—I can’t wait to see her expression when she is presented with her shiny new SSS Gold pin—AND she’ll be celebrating her 38th birthday the day we call on Sydney.  (I know, she doesn’t look a day over 37.)

As you can tell by her official foot-out-the-door-I’m-going-cruising! portrait, Shauna is one excited young lady:

91780EC2-55D4-45A0-86F4-A1D250D406F2.thumb.jpeg.88117ea99ff3de37613c6447a8625bb7.jpeg

This will be our fifth cruise aboard the Navigator, but our first since 2014, which is a couple of refurbishments ago.  We took a break from Regent’s smallest ship, in part, because of one too many “pitching” episodes for motion-sensitive Ginny, who is convinced the motion on Navigator in rough seas is different from the motion on other Regent ships.  (As many of you know, the Navigator’s hull was originally attached to a Russian research vessel and was designed for ice-breaking.)

But Ginny, armed with “the patch,” plus Stugeron for backup, is game to give the Navigator another go, which makes motion-oblivious me happy.  (Shauna, thankfully, doesn’t get seasick either.)  I like much about the Navigator. . . the scale of the ship, the design of the theater, the forward viewing area on Deck 12, and other features I’ll probably be reminded of when I take my first stroll onboard.  Oh, and I remembered, for Ginny’s sake, not to book an aft cabin (viiiiibraaaatiooon)!

A word about our itinerary:  It’s not the original one.  We had been scheduled to dock at Havre-Saint-Pierre, Quebec Province, a port we’ve not been to, on Day Four.  Instead we’ll have our Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence sea day that day, and Sydney, which was on our Montreal-Miami itinerary, will replace HSP on Day Six, our original sea day.

The reason for this change, to quote the Regent e-mail, is “due to additional speed restrictions implemented by the Canadian government in the Gulf of St. Lawrence to protect right whales.”  That intrigued me so I did a little bit of online research.  As it turns out, the worldwide population of the right whale has dwindled to just over 400, and the threat of extinction is real.  Reportedly, 4% of the population died between April of 2017 and January of 2018, with 12 of those deaths documented in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.  Certainly reason enough for Canada to impose new speed restrictions in the Gulf.  

As always, I’m glad to have you along!  But please bear with me in case I don’t post as often as I do when I don’t have Shauna to dote on.  LB (Little Boss) comes first!

Rich

6CA79C92-C384-4B6D-81A6-7B2C874D14B9.jpeg.80335ec1f1e3755a68878aa8d4e04e27.jpeg

• Like 6

Wow-- Shauna seems to be a wonderful traveller, and we are looking forward very much to you and her observations about this ship and the itinerary. We do the similar in the opposite direct late next Sept 2020. I won't ask any question of you guys at this time in hopes you will cover all our areas of interest during your planned reporting. Good start on coverage of the Navigator's "sea-worthiness" and vibration issues.. Have a fantastic voyage!!

Well I can say I'm looking forward to your post, I've enjoyed every cruise you write about.  I have a special interest because we'll be on the Navigator - so I'd like to see what you're think about her and how she handles the water.  I don't get sea sick myself, but you never know.  Of course family comes first and you shouldn't have it any other way.  I truly wish you all a wonderful cruise and time together making it a very special cruise and time for you all.

@Mr Rumor   Rich, I’m not sure whether they offer excursions to Salem when you reach Boston, but Shauna might really enjoy all the Halloween hoopla that occurs in October.  There is a high speed ferry right next to the aquarium that drops you right in the oldest section of Salem.  It is all very walkable.  In addition, the Peabody-Essex museum is world class with interesting exhibitions and artifacts from he 18th C Far East trade.  

• Like 2

Thanks, Fairfield Nana, califsealion, Ron, Gerry, Jennifer and Gilly, and good morning, Canada!  By the way, the flag of Quebec (the Fleurdelise, or Lily-Flowered) was the first provincial flag to be officially adopted by Canada, in 1950. 

4482115D-99CD-4D26-969F-D6E781727F85.thumb.jpeg.3d05aed2a9a2442438f33d0c9389aca4.jpeg

Good Morning to Rich, Ginny and Shauna from John and Linda in the Hudson Valley!

So very glad to have stumbled upon your blog which we'll be reading avidly!

We're on the Oct. 15th departure of the Navigator, rt NYC. Very simple for us as it involves

no air (Hooray!!). Looking forward to your reports on what's extra special or not to be missed.

The last time we were aboard the Navigator was before Regent went all inclusive, so it's been a LONG time!

Fairwinds and following seas to you all.....have a wonderful cruise!

L&J

Hi Jim—as you know, Shauna’s thing is Regent bling (especially artfully designed, handmade bling)!

Hi Linda and John, and I thought we had stayed away from the Navigator too long!  Let me be the first to wish you a great cruise—hope my posts will further whet your excitement.  

We had a nice casual dinner last night at Universel, just around the corner from the Sofitel.  For dessert, we took our server Olivia’s advice and tried a favorite Quebecois dessert, Pouding Chomeur, or “Poor Man’s Pudding.”  I had never heard of it.

A little research revealed the dish was created by female factory workers in Quebec in the depth of the Great Drepression, when most people only had access to the basic ingredients:  butter, flour, milk, sugar.  Ironically, according to Maclean’s, Pouding Chomeur now is considered the “caviar of puddings” and graces the menu of top Quebecois restaurants.

I like Maclean’s description of it:  a “dollop of biscuit dough baked in a bath of cream and maple syrup.”  Needless to say it’s rich and very maple-ly sweet.  Good thing we shared a single serving three ways!

BC8E793B-B375-412F-9F65-B6FFCBFD18BB.thumb.jpeg.c757f1f72b1b8831286a1f9343b31aa1.jpeg

• Like 2

Really looking forward to your review.  We are leaving from NY to Quebec City (RT) on a different cruise line and will be stopping by some of the same ports as you.  We are leaving on the 8th so hoping to get a glimpse of a few of our ports before we leave.  Have a great time!

Edited by jimbri
  • Like 1

I'm also looking forward to your reports.  Thanks for sharing your trip with us all!

We just disembarked Navigator in NY about a month ago, and I have to say that the experience was wonderful.

A word of warning...  start your "end of cruise" survey in plenty of time to get it done before you disembark.  It can only be done online while onboard.

Edited by RJ2002
  • Like 1

Hello to Shauna, Ginny, and Rich from Tennessee! What a treat it will be to follow along with you on this cruise. We did the same cruise on the Navigator a few years ago, so this will bring back fond memories! Sharing a trip with Shauna is always special! Have a great trip!! Hugs, Susan and Mark

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Rumor said:

Hi Jim—as you know, Shauna’s thing is Regent bling (especially artfully designed, handmade bling)!

Hi Linda and John, and I thought we had stayed away from the Navigator too long!  Let me be the first to wish you a great cruise—hope my posts will further whet your excitement.  

We had a nice casual dinner last night at Universel, just around the corner from the Sofitel.  For dessert, we took our server Olivia’s advice and tried a favorite Quebecois dessert, Pouding Chomeur, or “Poor Man’s Pudding.”  I had never heard of it.

A little research revealed the dish was created by female factory workers in Quebec in the depth of the Great Drepression, when most people only had access to the basic ingredients:  butter, flour, milk, sugar.  Ironically, according to Maclean’s, Pouding Chomeur now is considered the “caviar of puddings” and graces the menu of top Quebecois restaurants.

I like Maclean’s description of it:  a “dollop of biscuit dough baked in a bath of cream and maple syrup.”  Needless to say it’s rich and very maple-ly sweet.  Good thing we shared a single serving three ways!

BC8E793B-B375-412F-9F65-B6FFCBFD18BB.thumb.jpeg.c757f1f72b1b8831286a1f9343b31aa1.jpeg

"Chômeur" in French means "unemployed.  être au chômage - on unemployment benefits.   This pudding looks wonderful for the unemployed !!

• Like 1

Wishing you, Ginny and Shauna a wonderful, rolling-free/pitch-free voyage. What a wonderful treat for the three of you and a terrific way to celebrate your daughter's birthday. The Regent crew will make it special, no doubt.  We board the Navigator in January Down Under. Looking forward to your reports and treat her well!

Edited by Jlhalldc
misspelling
  • Like 1

Thanks, jimbri, RJ2002, Peggy, Sheila, Susan and Mark, Bob and Jlhalldc—great to have you along.

The big news of Day One:  CD Jamie confirmed to me at the sail away that we are going to have a Beatles night!  I was keeping my fingers crossed for Shauna, as we didn’t have one on our Mariner Shanghai-Tokyo cruise this past spring.  Yeah!  Yeah! Yeah!  

After you’ve done a number of Regent cruises (this is No. 20 for us) the odds are whichever Regent ship you embark on you’re going to see some friendly, familiar crew/staff faces.  Today was no different, as we got to say hi to, among others, GM Davor, who boarded with us, and our wonderful Shanghai-Tokyo CR server Romeo, who has been assigned to Prime 7/La Veranda for his current contract.  

Today was mostly about settling in, but I did get to look around the Navigator a little, including during our march to our muster station.  My initial thought: Despite all of the refurb “refreshments” and “reimaginings,” it still feels like the old Navigator to me.  And that’s good, because I grew to really like this little ship during the four cruises we did on it in 2013-4.

Our CR dinner was in Compass Rose, Station 8, with Mario, who had been recommended to me earlier in the afternoon.  I hadn’t met Mario before, so was surprised to hear from him that he had done too many contracts with Regent to count, dating back to Song of Flower days. That’s almost 20 years!  We liked him immediately and plan to return to his section. 

Dinner was fine, by the way.  Our only complaint:  The steamed vegetables and Ginny’s asparagus-themed vegetarian entree were too salty for our tastes.  We can fix that with a simple request.  

Well, both of the ladies are in bed, and I should turn in, too.  In about 10 hours we’ll be embarking on our most ambitious tour of the cruise, the 7.5 hour “Grand Exploration of Quebec.”  I sure know how to pick ‘em!

Shauna and Stowie (for stowaway) bid you good night from the Navigator.  

56BA891C-723B-4BCC-BE91-4466D3711A91.thumb.jpeg.d8e8dcb283b0dd7194b7700df41539fa.jpeg

• Like 11

Keep calm and carry on—I like that, Linda and John, and will use that in the future.  So far so great!

Bonjour from Quebec.  Our first view of fall, from our balcony.  (The Canadian flag is everywhere!)

DC79D47F-CB46-44EE-80B6-192BAE496536.thumb.jpeg.73047bf8f4eaf45d0743df6116face55.jpeg

Edited by Mr Rumor
  • Like 3