Random Notes, Navigator, Montreal-NY, 10/3-10/15/19, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

I have one more dish for you to make note of, cruiseluv, the Fresh Cod Fish and Chips with Tartar Sauce, which I savored the night before last. It was very lightly coated and salted and just yummy. 

Thanks, Karen, and hi to John!

Good morning, Corner Brook.  Shauna would love for us to be assigned to one of the school buses.  Not us!4211EA14-D89E-402C-83A1-25150233C2F1.thumb.jpeg.cd5387a7ee21711a01bea94cfd9c736c.jpeg

Good Morning from Newport, RI, 

Hi Rich and crew. Looks and sounds like you're having a great time! Love being able to cruise along with you!

Before I forget, I think you call in Sydney. Maybe you've been there before and know this, but there's a huge local craft market

in the terminal building right next to the "big fiddle". There's loads of quality woolens, wood worked creations and FABULOUS SOCKS! They're made from llama wool and I swear by them. Light, very soft and cozy and wear like iron...also machine washable without a hitch.....Mine have a little llama design on them.....ok, done with commercial! haha!

Looking forward to more of your adventures!

L&J

On 10/5/2019 at 3:26 PM, Mr Rumor said:

488DCC40-9A3D-4C36-8959-2EFFC1930DC4.thumb.jpeg.98fe892aa0077a18950912382db520c4.jpeg

Oh, and curious about all the white dots in the photo?  They’re Canada geese and they were honking away!

Are you sure they're not Snow Geese?  Canada Geese aren't really white.  Lovely photo, in any case!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Shauna’s birthday celebration started a day early today—in of all places our tour bus!  Guides Charles and Roxanne and driver Ray got wind of our daughter’s approaching big day, and on the drive back to Corner Brook Roxanne surprised Shauna with a gift bag on behalf of the team.  She then led our fellow tour takers in a rendition of “Happy Birthday”!

Shauna admires her haul.

1B6271F0-5B8F-41A5-997C-7123E7800D33.thumb.jpeg.4772c91b25164064c0fd253a46ee55d0.jpeg

That’s lead guide Charles (the former mayor of Corner Brook) in the center, flanked by Ray and Roxanne.  According to Charles, Newfoundland residents are renowned for their friendliness and generosity.  They proved it with our daughter!

06423621-87F6-419D-AF37-84D10164CFED.thumb.jpeg.6e0070dfc42471d2e1bbb557412e0be7.jpeg

• Like 8

This is the sweetest post ever!    Our world can seem overwhelmingly harsh at times.  We need to see kind hearted and generous people more often.  If each of us extended a kindness daily to a stranger, humanity would be substantially improved. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Are you sure they're not Snow Geese?  Canada Geese aren't really white.  Lovely photo, in any case!

They are, indeed, Snow Geese, Wendy.  I thought I heard “Canada Geese,” but then I did a little online research.  Thanks for pointing out!

5 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Good Morning from Newport, RI, 

Hi Rich and crew. Looks and sounds like you're having a great time! Love being able to cruise along with you!

Before I forget, I think you call in Sydney. Maybe you've been there before and know this, but there's a huge local craft market

in the terminal building right next to the "big fiddle". There's loads of quality woolens, wood worked creations and FABULOUS SOCKS! They're made from llama wool and I swear by them. Light, very soft and cozy and wear like iron...also machine washable without a hitch.....Mine have a little llama design on them.....ok, done with commercial! haha!

Looking forward to more of your adventures!

L&J

Linda, the timing of your post is perfect.  We will indeed be docking in Sydney.  Tomorrow, in fact—Shauna’s birthday!  We were planning to take her shopping and now we know where, and one of the things we’ll be looking for, namely fabulous socks!  Thank you!  Hope you and John are having a great time in Newport.  We call there on the 14th. 

Happy birthday wishes to Shauna. What a kind and lovely surprise from the staff today on your excursion, Shauna looks delighted with her gifts.

Have a lovely birthday meal tonight on the beautiful Navigator.

Continuing to enjoy your daily posts, best wishes to you all,   Jean.

• Like 2

So delighted that you had a warm and friendly experience in Corner Brook.  Yes Newfoundlanders are indeed kind and giving by nature.  If you don’t know the story of Gander on 9/11, made into a musical called Come from Away, I encourage everyone to look it up.  It highlights and celebrates the true nature of these folks. 

• Like 5

We met up with lobsterman Glenn at Fisherman’s Cove, the first stop on our Captain Cook’s Trail tour today (Cook, then Lt. Cook, surveyed Newfoundland’s Bay of Islands between 1763-7).  Glenn demonstrated how the old-fashioned wooden lobster traps work (they have been replaced my metal versions).  Then he showed us how big a Newfoundland lobster can get.  A bit of an exaggeration, I was wondering?  Then I learned that the largest lobster on record was caught in Nova Scotia in 1977 and was three and a half feet long, and weighed 44.5 pounds!

448D7D79-9A22-4CC4-9DEF-431D90DB3B15.thumb.jpeg.a768ddb153461def03ff75a481dc8fdf.jpeg

Oh my goodness!!! Another Mr. Rumor production!  Thanks to Karen and John who texted me about your “Live From” blog. Happy birthday wishes to the Little Boss and glad that she will get her special Beatles night as well as her Regent gold pin. She looks as if she’s having a blast. 

Your posts remind us of our Montreal to Miami cruise last October which was inspired by the same cruise you guys had done previously. However, ours was a wet cruise with rain in most ports. 

Glad you had the panko shrimp and recommend you special order them before the end of the cruise. 

Please tell Mario and Maggie that Pam and Roberto say hello and hope we see them onboard the Explorer next March. 

Enjoy the rest of the cruise and keep up the posts and pics!

Z and TB

• Like 2

On 10/4/2019 at 5:36 AM, liptastic said:

We have taken this cruise twice and it always remains our favourite, and even better on the Navigator.

Could you please explain why you say it is better on the Navigator?  Because you like the smaller ship vibe?  Because it can dock in places the other Regent ships can't?  Or ???

4 hours ago, Mr Rumor said:

Shauna’s birthday celebration started a day early today—in of all places our tour bus!  Guides Charles and Roxanne and driver Ray got wind of our daughter’s approaching big day, and on the drive back to Corner Brook Roxanne surprised Shauna with a gift bag on behalf of the team.  She then led our fellow tour takers in a rendition of “Happy Birthday”!

Shauna admires her haul.

1B6271F0-5B8F-41A5-997C-7123E7800D33.thumb.jpeg.4772c91b25164064c0fd253a46ee55d0.jpeg

That’s lead guide Charles (the former mayor of Corner Brook) in the center, flanked by Ray and Roxanne.  According to Charles, Newfoundland residents are renowned for their friendliness and generosity.  They proved it with our daughter!

06423621-87F6-419D-AF37-84D10164CFED.thumb.jpeg.6e0070dfc42471d2e1bbb557412e0be7.jpeg

This is great.  In a world where you can be anything--BE KIND!  And this is what life is all about-would it be nice if everyone just took a minute and did something to make someone special, without expecting something in return.  Today is the best part of your trip.  Happy Birthday Shauna!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

Could you please explain why you say it is better on the Navigator?  Because you like the smaller ship vibe?  Because it can dock in places the other Regent ships can't?  Or ???

I don’t want to change the topic for Mr Rumours great thread, but for me I just feel the Navigator has such a relaxed atmosphere, you get to know the staff very easily and also the passengers too. It has a comfortable lived in kind of feeling that seems to make it special. Obviously this is just my opinion,  Hope this helps.

Sorry Mr Rumour for going off topic here.  Jean.

Edited by liptastic
To ass text
  • Like 2

Jennifer and Rick, in regards to your posts #55 and #67:  Hear, hear!

Jean, Roberto and Pam, Peggy, Boats07, Sheila, JAG2003, and Ron, I shared your birthday greetings with Shauna.  Thank you!

Roberto, great to have you along as always.   I so enjoyed your Montréal-Miami blog from last year that I located and reread it days before we flew out.  I’ll be sure to relay your greetings to Mario and Maggie.  And I just may do that Panko Coated Shrimp special order.  Do you think that  Mario would blink if I ordered 22 of them with a straight face?

Jean, excellent answer to SusieQft’s question regarding the special appeal of the Navigator.  I would add that the ship’s more intimate size means that you’re almost always nearer to where you want to go, a real convenience (especially when you have a special little lady traveling with you).

Before turning in I’d like to leave you with a quote from former Corner Brook mayor and current Corner Brook tour guide Charles Pender that is a testament to the spirit of the Newfoundland people:

”We live outdoors. We hike, we fish, we ski, we chop wood. The weather is not a reason for us to stay home. We dress for it and just go out.”

Impressive considering that the Corner Brook area receives as much as 15 feet of snow each winter!

• Like 1

Thanks for the Shauna birthday wishes, cruiseluv, Jennifer, Gerry and Ken and Linda and John!

Shauna got quite the surprise when we returned from our morning tour!  Our stewardess, Suzanne, and her assistant, June, hand cut Shauna’s name, letter by letter.  That’s what I call exceeding expectations!

EBA9A6A9-FBCB-436A-AD0D-B2C53F79EFE5.thumb.jpeg.4a2bac896081ffbb5e192a98ed2437c3.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1