Can anyone help solve a situation

rjrice1

I always try to go back to the same exact seat. Some people leave their personal belongings on their seat. I’m sure they’d hate to return to someone sitting where their belongings are.

• Like 4

If there are empty seats I will sit wherever I want.  I won't sit where others have left their stuff, but will purposely sit somewhere other than were I previously sat.  Same at an assigned table in the MDR, I will mix it up, sit in a different seat every night.

I see it as an interesting psychological experiment.  People sit in one place, once, in a public conveyance or area and then assume that is now "Their" seat.  

If a particular seat is not assigned, mix it up for the fun of seeing people react based on their internal assumptions!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

If there are empty seats I will sit wherever I want.  I won't sit where others have left their stuff, but will purposely sit somewhere other than were I previously sat.  Same at an assigned table in the MDR, I will mix it up, sit in a different seat every night.

I see it as an interesting psychological experiment.  People sit in one place, once, in a public conveyance or area and then assume that is now "Their" seat.  

If a particular seat is not assigned, mix it up for the fun of seeing people react based on their internal assumptions!

What would you say if a person asked if you would mind moving so that they could sit in the seat they had occupied previously? Your method and reasons sounds passive-aggressive to me 😉 

• Like 12

Just now, AHS123 said:

What would you say if a person asked if you would mind moving so that they could sit in the seat they had occupied previously? Your method and reasons sounds passive-aggressive to me 😉 

If it meant that much to them I would move.

I understand how you may see it that way, I see it as a simple challenge to conventional though processes.

• Like 2

We typically keep the same seats as it seems like the predictable and polite thing to do.  However the larger the tour bus the greater the chance of "your seat" being taken unless you do leave something in it.  I would be mentally prepared to mix it up and you won't be disappointed because seats are not "officially assigned" by anyone on the many tours we have been on.  Keep a good vacation state of mind and it will likely serve you well.

• Like 3

Sometimes  people can be like the child who always wants to sit in the front passenger seat in the car when it's vacant. Regardless of other siblings who may also want this seat. 

Its good to mix it up a little and sit in other places so everyone can enjoy different views and opportunities.

• Like 2

I’ve always had the same seat. Once we had a different bus pick us up than the one that dropped us off. But other than that it’s been the same seat for me. I do remember the people in front of me changing on the return trip from one excursion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kaylacool said:

Sometimes  people can be like the child who always wants to sit in the front passenger seat in the car when it's vacant. Regardless of other siblings who may also want this seat. 

Its good to mix it up a little and sit in other places so everyone can enjoy different views and opportunities.

Exactly. I never heard of anything so silly as expecting to sit in the same seat when reboarding a public conveyance. Maybe if it is just a quick potty break but not when a stop on a tour. If someone asked me to move from “their” seat, I would probably ask to see their ticket 😉

I of course will not sit in the front seats if there are people with mobility issues. And typically would not take a seat with personal items in it but I think it is rude to leave something just to save your seat. If you have to have a particular seat, get back to the bus on time.

• Like 5

If I get back to the bus and nobody is sitting in the seat I previously had, then I’d sit in that seat again.

If upon return, someone else has occupied that seat, I’d find another.

I’m on vacation and life is too short.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If I get back to the bus and nobody is sitting in the seat I previously had, then I’d sit in that seat again.

If upon return, someone else has occupied that seat, I’d find another.

I’m on vacation and life is too short.

Bingo!

• Like 4

Well what if the drive is scenic and one side of the bus has the view on the first half of the trip and the other side of the bus has the view going back?  It would be totally unfair to start changing seats in a situation like that.  What's the big deal about returning to the same seat?

Edited by mek
  • Like 8

We were on a tour and when we returned to the bus, someone had taken "our" seats. I told them we were sitting there and they said someone had taken their seats. I even told them we were with the couple across the aisle, but they stayed right there. Pretty rude I thought. If we hadn't been traveling with the other couple, I wouldn't have said anything and just found other seats. 

• Like 1

If it’s a situation where the bus driver told everyone to take their things off of the bus, then when you get back on, I feel that seats are open and it’s fair game if you want to choose different seats. And I have done so in the past. If it’s a situation where the bus driver has told people they could leave their things on the bus, then I think everyone should take the same seats when getting back on. 

• Like 5

Ok. Thanks for the responses

My husband and I just finished an excursion of Bermuda 

Did not know we were put in a group of 28 

2 coaches

Hubby has medical issuers,   recent cancer survivor., open heart surgery and just recover from broken neck.  Also 71 yr young 

The other in a group knew that he needed that seat.  Driver assigned it to him

We got off potty break and kindly ask if we can have the seat back 

Told us we are switching it up. Move to the back.    

So we sat in the front seats 

Told us to move.  Its for their group 

We didnt.   3 of the men started to attack my  husband'  yelling in his ear.   Dont ever disrespect our group.  

One had his hand up to my face 

The driver did tell them to back off

However continue with comments

Very sad that bullies continues 

Same group continues this on the ship until an employee stopped it

This group was young folks either 

17 minutes ago, rjrice1 said:

2 coaches

Hubby has medical issuers,   recent cancer survivor., open heart surgery and just recover from broken neck.  Also 71 yr young 

We didnt.   3 of the men started to attack my  husband'  yelling in his ear.   Dont ever disrespect our group.  

Was this a Carnival excursion? 

LOL, no not at all. (unless their are belongings in the seat or special circumstances ie yours, then yes). Unfortunately sometimes when you get stuck with a group (even large families) they feel entitled to move you aside for their remaining members. We've had this happen on the elevators and food lines and stuff. But we also got invited to a family reunion (we were sitting playing cards in the area they had reserved for later in the evening). They said we could stay and hang out! So it goes both ways. 

Sorry to hear of the incident you described above.  Some people are just stupid.  We usually take the same seats, but have no problem switching if someone is sitting in "ours."  However, that does cause a domino effect sometimes, as the people who were sitting in our "new" seats want them back!  I have seen small laminated signs placed on the front seats that say "reserved."  Either the tour guide, elderly passengers or those with medical needs are then seated in them.  Perhaps next time you can call up the excursions dept. and notify them of your needs, and they will let the tour guide know if it is a CCL excursion.  If private, I would still call and let them know.  A sign on the seat might just help eliminate the problem you encountered.

1 hour ago, rjrice1 said:

2 coaches

This goes beyond just sitting in the same seat throughout the excursion- this is a person that needs a specific seat for a specific reason. The group was in the wrong and were also rude, which is very prevalent these days.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rjrice1 said:

When one does a shore excursions on tour bus.   When you get off. And back to bus do you keep the same seats 

I know we dont have assigned seats.  Its a courtesy 

Will explain later 

Thank you for your explanation.  I don't have anything to say about it, other than I'm sorry it happened to you and you husband.

I've taken a fair amount of excursions using tour buses.  My experience has been that almost everyone wants to keep their same seats (including me) whether there's an announcement by the tour guide or not.  I often have stuff in the seat, under the seat, and/or in the seat pocket in front of my seat, so I'd really like to sit there again.  The only time I'll move seats is:

1) There are others who have gotten off at intermediate stops and WILL NOT be returning to the bus,

2) There's a strategic advantage to moving (e.g., better photo ops or easier listening), and

3) It's obvious that there are either enough seats for everyone else who wants to move, or no one else cares to move.

• Like 1