Drink straws

ZiggaZagga17

I find that the bamboo straws do impart some taste into, say, an alcoholic beverage.  I have also found that silicone straws tend to collapse in particularly viscous liquids (ie a mudslide) as do plastic ones, to be honest.  I have several metal ones now that do me quite nicely.  I also don't drink and walk as a general rule.

3 hours ago, awestover89 said:

To each their own. I've had very mixed experiences with ali express (slow shipping, poor return policy, items received that aren't the same as what I ordered), and nothing but good experiences with Amazon. AE may have gotten better since the last time I ordered from them, I haven't tried in quite a while

Yes the shipping is slow, I have to agree with you there, but a lot of the products are the same as what amazon sells but at a much lower price. I have not had any bad experiences (yet) but I have had 4 so far with Amazon. I now check AE first before I buy from Amazon. My comment was meant to be useful to people, nothing else. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Or give up cold beverages that are served in a glass.

What???

Glasses are multiple use.  Used many, many times and washed between use.  Remember when you had to pay a deposit for a soda in a glass bottle and if you return them for the deposit refund. 

Straws are single use and can not be easily recycled.  Plastic bottles can be recycled, but some places including cruise lines, are phasing them out.

6 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

I like my metal straws. The tiny brush cleans the inside well so I'm not concerned about food borne illnesses. They don't add a taste to my drink. I don't walk around with a drink in hand (except coffee) so falling and stabbing myself isn't an issue. Carnival has begun looking at getting rid of single use plastic water bottles so getting rid of the straws is only the beginning.

Norwegian is replacing bottled water with cartons of water. I hope RCI doesn’t go that route. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gatour said:

What???

Glasses are multiple use.  Used many, many times and washed between use.  Remember when you had to pay a deposit for a soda in a glass bottle and if you return them for the deposit refund. 

Straws are single use and can not be easily recycled.  Plastic bottles can be recycled, but some places including cruise lines, are phasing them out.

I never drink soda or juice ,neither is a life necessity.

I am not an eco-warrior or hippie by any measure but if people cannot make the tiny change to their lifestyle to avoid the use of plastic straws, then we really are in trouble. Yes, plastic bottles are a bigger problem but the change has to start somewhere (and it sounds like other cruise-lines are taking that step). 
I do live by the sea, overlooking the Atlantic on the West coast of Ireland. I like to walk with my kids on the beach and even they can’t believe the types of plastic rubbish washed up by the tide.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, QueenofKrakatoa said:

Do people just forget that disabled or elderly people exist? Straws make it easier for them. Or maybe some people just like using straws. 

There are bendable biodegradable straws, has anyone used them?  I have seen them in Walmart, just wondering.

Also, there are bendable metal straws that the disabled can use also.

Edited by Plum Happy
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, rt1092 said:

We always bring our own plastic straws. Metal ones can be dangerous, if you lose your balance and fall.

Royal just gave in to the mob mentality. Without researching much. They use single use plastic cups, single use plastic flatware wrapped in plastic, Single use lids. Single use water bottles, Etc. (I could go on and on).

They recycle all plastics. If someone is caught throwing anything overboard. They risk being put off at the next port. Royal wouldn't go against the PC culture. I'm sure this will not stop at straws. 

It's not mob mentality. There is a real problem with plastics and they have to start somewhere. Just like with anything you start with a first step. Straws are the first step. Even if they recycle the plastic ends up somewhere and most plastics are not biodegradable or recyclable.

They should be able to provide a better quality paper straw though and then hopefully people will stop bringing on their own plastic ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

They should be able to provide a better quality paper straw though and then hopefully people will stop bringing on their own plastic ones.

My friends favorite resort in Mexico switched to straws made from avocado pits.  She said they are awesome, have no weird taste, and don’t fall apart 🙂. But, I bet they are more expensive than the paper ones...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Try to wean yourself off straw use.

Wean, as in an infant being weaned off mommy's breast, is exactly the right word.  Straws are for children.  Drink from the glass. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

Humanity has somehow survived for thousands of years without plastic straws and yet from some of the posts here people seem to think the world is going to end if plastic straws disappear😱. A recent air qaulity survey done in Europe found micro plastic in the dust we breathe. It is not just in the sea the plastic is also in the very air that enters our lungs. At some point enough has to be enough and we need to start weaning ourselves of non essential single use plastic. Yes it is a small effort but cruise ships are at least starting somewhere.

• Like 8

On 10/4/2019 at 9:13 PM, lmp29 said:

If you prefer to go without straws, good for you; if you want to help save the environment, even better, for you and for all of us; but it's hard to "buy into" that mentality when, as mentioned by a couple people, everyone looks the other way with regard to the hundreds of plastic bottles and other single-use plastic or Styrofoam items.  I will continue to take my individually-wrapped, plastic straws with me on every cruise.  (And I have made several friends at the bars because i have shared with others!)

I must admit to hoarding bottles of water throughout the cruise - i do so wish they'd give people on drinks packages the huge big bottles they use when getting water packages (we drink sparkling water mostly) as opposed to the tiny 500ml ones currently! I use a metal insulated drinks bottle for most other things, especially on port days and around the pool

On 10/5/2019 at 2:39 PM, K32682 said:

Wean, as in an infant being weaned off mommy's breast, is exactly the right word.  Straws are for children.  Drink from the glass. 

I defy anyone to attempt to consume a frozen drink (mudslide for instance) without using a straw and not looking like a dribbling child in the process! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

I defy anyone to attempt to consume a frozen drink (mudslide for instance) without using a straw and not looking like a dribbling child in the process! 

There's an invention that can solve that problem.  Perhaps you've heard of it.  It's called a spoon. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, K32682 said:

There's an invention that can solve that problem.  Perhaps you've heard of it.  It's called a spoon. 

Yup .. definitely heard of a spoon! Apparently they go nicely with a knife and fork at the dinner table! and I don't know anyone who consumes a drink with any of them either!

• Like 2

After my cruise last month, I had the paper straws and for me they changed the taste of the drink.  My solution is simple, if given a paper straw, I just won't use it and drink whatever I have without a straw.

This whole thing reminds of when the government outlawed incandescent lamps and presented us with those squiggly things or the much more expensive LED.  Then our EPA had to put out a three page directive on how to dispose of the squiggly ones if you happen to drop it and break.   Now they are back. 

On 10/4/2019 at 8:25 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Or give up cold beverages that are served in a glass.

On 10/4/2019 at 9:10 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I never drink soda or juice ,neither is a life necessity.

So can we safely assume that you occasionally drink water? Do you drink it straight out of the tap? And just because you don't enjoy drinking something means none of us should? I think not.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:45 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Cruising is a necessity for me because it is my only way of traveling and being able to relax .

Sorry, bud. Travel for relaxation is a desire or a preference.  Cruising is not a life necessity. You cant have it both ways. And since when must anyone be only constrained by what is a life necessity  (as determined by you)?

If that was the case we'd  all be living in a one room apartment, eating plain food with no seasoning, drinking only water,  having no home entertainment of any kind., and never taking a vacation away from home. Who wants to exist like that?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mom says said:

So can we safely assume that you occasionally drink water? Do you drink it straight out of the tap? And just because you don't enjoy drinking something means none of us should? I think not.

Sorry, bud. Travel for relaxation is a desire or a preference.  Cruising is not a life necessity. You cant have it both ways. And since when must anyone be only constrained by what is a life necessity  (as determined by you)?

If that was the case we'd  all be living in a one room apartment, eating plain food with no seasoning, drinking only water,  having no home entertainment of any kind., and never taking a vacation away from home. Who wants to exist like that?

25 minutes ago, mom says said:

I am so glad you are not my mom.I am not dictating what anyone else should do,just stating what I do.I drink water at home out of the tap.Cruising is a necessity for me.It is my life necessity.I live in a one room apartment.I eat plain food.I have no form of entertainment and other than cruising I do not take vacations.I do not want to exist like that but I have no choice.