What Do You Do For Sail Away BESIDES The Main Party

parsec0298

27 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I tried the high-sign for the Brotherhood of the Loyal Raccoons, but never got any responses.  

(How many know where this comes from without looking on Google.  Hint -- best sit-com ever.)  

It would be the Honeymooners, starring Jackie Gleason, Art Carney, Audrey Meadows and Joyce Randolph.  And although I am bound by secrecy under threat of torture, I can say that the high sign for the International Brotherhood of the Loyal Raccoons is very close to the secret handshake. (perhaps you are using the wrong hand).  And away we go....

And no, I did not google it - know it from first hand viewing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Best sitcom ever????

Wouldnt that be the office?

Or it's always sunny in Philadelphia?

Or maybe silicon valley?

Monty python's flying circus? Ok maybe not a sitcom.

Nope. None of those.  Leaveitallbehind had it right -- Honeymooners.   

I think The Office is terrific.  Even the American version.  Funny though I didn't like Ricky Gervais much on other stuff.  Except Idiot Abroad.  I love that show.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think The Office is terrific.  Even the American version.  Funny though I didn't like Ricky Gervais much on other stuff.  Except Idiot Abroad.  I love that show.   

I would also chime in for Monty Python's Flying Circus - may not be a sitcom but one of the all time greats of comedy.  (Have every episode "taped" - yes on VCR.  (Now that I'm thinking of it I need to convert that to digital).  What's that on the telly???

Wow - has this thread digressed......Sorry OP.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

Ricky Gervais's greatest feat, in my humble opinion, is Extras, which I find hilarious.

I have to say though that I think Silicon Valley is genius. Though I suspect those that work there hate it, as it paints all of them in a seriously bad way.

5 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Ricky Gervais's greatest feat, in my humble opinion, is Extras, which I find hilarious.

I have to say though that I think Silicon Valley is genius. Though I suspect those that work there hate it, as it paints all of them in a seriously bad way.

My son-in-law runs his own tech company.  He isn't in Silicon Valley but does think the show is a hoot.   

Ya gotta love Gilfoyle.  

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

My son-in-law runs his own tech company.  He isn't in Silicon Valley but does think the show is a hoot.   

Ya gotta love Gilfoyle.  

Hahaha. Gilfoyle is an amazingly funny character 

First cruise--DCL--Went to the sailaway party and left after a bit, it was pretty boring unless you've got little kids.  Stupidly crowded as well.

Royal Caribbean I think we were sipping glasses of wine on our balcony.

DCL #2--Definitely drinking Champagne on our balcony

Windstar #1 We were in the bar with new friends and didn't realize we were sailing away

Windstar #2 on the deck leaving Venice with a glass of wine in my hand

Paul Gauguin--We didn't leave until after 11:00 pm, and we were in bed sound asleep.  

I'm definitely going to stay awake for sail away on our next cruise, because it's probably a once in a lifetime chance to sail down the Thames. 🙂 

33 minutes ago, Jimnbigd said:

I should add after I unpack, my wife and I usually go to the RCI Diamond Lounge since by then the free drinks have started.

Nice benefit with RCI, which when we cruise with RCI is our MO as well. (We will take our drinks to our balcony or elsewhere - as mentioned in my first response - for sailaway if we don't stay in the lounge).  Celebrity, which has a similar reciprocal program, does not have their lounge open on Day 1, however.

We just kind of go with the flow and do what we feel like.

I remember years ago dragging my family up to the top deck to watch us pass under the bridge in Tampa. What a looooooonnng wait and the rest of the family didn't think it was worth it.

25 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I remember years ago dragging my family up to the top deck to watch us pass under the bridge in Tampa. What a looooooonnng wait and the rest of the family didn't think it was worth it.

Verrazano Narrows Bridge sailing out of NY, Chesapeake Bay Bridge sailing out of Baltimore, and Lions Gate Bridge sailing out of Vancouver are good ones as well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

When you passed under Sunshine, did you duck? 😵

We've sailed out of Tampa a few times and ALWAYS duck.  Last time, we caught the pilot jumping shortly thereafter.  That was pretty cool too!

9 minutes ago, marci4tony said:

When you passed under Sunshine, did you duck? 😵

We've sailed out of Tampa a few times and ALWAYS duck.  Last time, we caught the pilot jumping shortly thereafter.  That was pretty cool too!

That is funny, I honestly don't remember if we ducked.

Whereas I think the couple of times we sailed under Sydney Harbour bridge have been our most memorable sailaways, and even on small ship like Pacific Princess I saw people duck, the clearance really is tight.

For me the most spectacular sail-away was my Baltic sea cruise starting in Stockholm Sweden.  Sailing thru the endless islands archipelagos for hours before reaching the Baltic sea was just amazing.

My favorite "sailing under a bridge" was leaving Fredericton (Prince Edward Island) at sunset time on a Boston to Montreal cruise.  We sailed under Confederation bridge as the sun was setting.  It was beautiful!

2014-05-28%2019-54-02-XL.jpg 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pat.D said:

For me the most spectacular sail-away was my Baltic sea cruise starting in Stockholm Sweden.  Sailing thru the endless islands archipelagos for hours before reaching the Baltic sea was just amazing.

We're doing one of those next year.  Thanks for the stunning photo.

• Like 1