New ship

The Bullingdon Club

eroller- yes indeed- a walkway- thats exactly what it is on KD and NST-  no chairs - no view- very unappealing- as the whole NST was for us! Dark inside- very little connection with the sea! The Queens Room looks more like a dungeon!

As for the name- I suppose since it is listed as Queen Anne it probably will be named Queen Anne! I would have prefered Queen Alexandra- but still- whats in a name?

Edited by Germancruiser

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

eroller- yes indeed- a walkway- thats exactly what it is on KD and NST-  no chairs - no view- very unappealing- as the whole NST was for us! Dark inside- very little connection with the sea! The Queens Room looks more like a dungeon!

As for the name- I suppose since it is listed as Queen Anne it probably will be named Queen Anne! I would have prefered Queen Alexandra- but still- whats in a name?

I'm hoping for great interiors, as the exterior leaves a lot to be desired.  There are several design firms involved so not sure how cohesive it will be, but the direction they are taking are cues from the past to create a modern interpretation.  I like the fact they might use the original Verandah Grill chair design from the original Queens.  We shall see.  I can't say I've been excited about this ship, but I hope that will change as more details are released.    

eroller- so do I - seeing those old chairs from the Verandah Grills calmed my " ruffled feathers" so to speak! LOL!

The should stick with the basics- a propper prommenade deck, for example and built around the rest- with a nod to the past and a look forward, too!

Nobody wants to go back to " bathrooms and loo´s " not available in all staterooms...!

13 hours ago, rolfecms said:

I've not been on the Holland America Koningsdam yet, but from the deck plan the ship appears to indeed have a full promenade deck.  And it already has a "Queen's Lounge"!

Koningsdam Promenade Deck.JPG

In fact the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam DO have a full wraparound promenade deck although it is narrow in spots.  What people are complaining about is the absence of LOUNGERS on the promenade deck.  One of HAL's featured events is a walk for cancer including over 100 people.  I've done one each on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam and they came off without a hitch.

One matter of concern is that Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam are unable to go through the Panama Canal because their life boats hang over the side and future ships are rumored to mount the lifeboats a bit differently so that will not happen.  It remains to see how that will affect the promenade deck.

Roy

20 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

It's not been officially named by Cunard-- everything out there is just a well placed guess. Personally I'd like to see a 3rd Mauretania but will concede thats most likely a long shot. Queen Anne is pretty silly-- the ships Queen Mary and Elizabeth, while officially named for their Tudor predecessors, were absolutely a nod to the contemporary Queens-- George V's wife and the Queen Mother. Queen Anne is just marketing fluff. 

A nice "-ia" throwback name would certainly help me look past how absolutely ugly this new ship is though...

I dispute that the Queen Mary was named after the infamous Tudor "bloody" Mary.

Here's a portion of Cunard's press release about this morning's steel cutting ceremony. Pictures have also been posted on Cunard's various social media sites.

====================

Steel Cutting Ceremony Begins Countdown to New Cunard Ship

Fincantieri’s Castellammare di Stabia Shipyard begins construction on Cunard’s 249th ship

First piece of steel cut will be crafted into a unique sculpture by Sam Shendi and will be showcased on board the new ship

VALENCIA, Calif., October 11, 2019 – Today, luxury cruise line Cunard celebrated the beginning of construction on the line’s 249th ship with a steel cutting ceremony at Fincantieri’s Castellammare di Stabia Shipyard in Italy. The first piece of steel cut will be used as a sculpture displayed on the new ship for guests to enjoy and marks a landmark moment in the company’s 179-year history. The yet unnamed ship will be the second largest to fly the Cunard flag, and is set to reimagine the luxury cruise experience with an array of unique and exciting on board amenities. 

The steel cutting ceremony marks the commencement of the building process for Cunard’s new ship, which is set to join the fleet in 2022. Fincantieri will house and construct the first section of the new ship. The shipbuilding group previously delivered Cunard’s world-renowned Queen Victoria in 2007 and Queen Elizabeth in 2010. 

“After years of planning and design, we are thrilled to see the building process begin for our newest ship,” says Josh Leibowitz, SVP Cunard North America. “The new ship will be the fourth in our fleet, taking inspiration from our past, integrating the Cunard spirit with exciting new concepts and ideas that will provide a uniquely luxurious travel experience for our guests.”

Mr Gilberto Tobaldi, Shipyard Director for Fincantieri, added, “We are very proud to be embarking on this next chapter of Cunard’s history with the start of the build of their newest ship and we look forward to working with the Cunard and Carnival UK teams over the next months.”

Acclaimed sculptor Sam Shendi will craft a unique sculpture from the first piece of metal cut from the new ship. Known for using contemporary industrial metal, steel, stainless steel, aluminium and fiberglass to create his work, Shendi will commission the work for guests on board to view and enjoy.

Shendi said, “I’m really looking forward to working with the Cunard team and to be given the challenge of creating a sculpture from the first piece of steel cut for their new ship is such a unique opportunity. It would be exciting for any artist to be part of such a long history and know that their artwork will travel the world on the ship connecting guests from all corners of the globe.”

Cunard’s new ship is set to enter service in 2022 with bookings available next year. With construction underway, Creative Director and globally acclaimed designer Adam D. Tihany will work alongside Fincantieri to deliver a new standard of Cunard luxury. The award-winning design team also includes Simon Rawlings of David Collins Studio, Terry McGillicuddy of Richmond International and Sybille de Margerie of Sybille de Margerie Paris.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Cunard president Simon Palethorpe and Carnival UK president Josh Weinstein start proceedings for the steel cutting of the line’s first new ship in over 12 years @cunardline #cunarder

Queen Elizabeth 9 years - October 2010

Queen Victoria not quite 12 years - December 2017

There does seem to be some fuzzy math going on at first sight. I'll give them a break though in that they may mean it will be the first new Cunard ship in over 12 years when it enters service in 2022.

14 hours ago, eroller said:

This is generally what the promenade will look like.  

IMG_2354.jpg

There's quite a lot that I disliked about Koningsdam, but this uninviting walkway could well be the worst. 

Let's hope the design team (most of whom have never designed for a ship--I'm still deciding if that's a good thing) can make a more attractive interior than HAL's team did with the K. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Cunard came right out with the names Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth when announcing the ships back when. The silence and build up this time around really makes me wonder if we're in for a surprise. Or, it's just a clever marketing ploy. Seeing Mauretania and Aquitania on that list definitely intrigues me!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:13 PM, princeton123211 said:

It's not been officially named by Cunard-- everything out there is just a well placed guess. Personally I'd like to see a 3rd Mauretania but will concede thats most likely a long shot. Queen Anne is pretty silly-- the ships Queen Mary and Elizabeth, while officially named for their Tudor predecessors, were absolutely a nod to the contemporary Queens-- George V's wife and the Queen Mother. Queen Anne is just marketing fluff. 

A nice "-ia" throwback name would certainly help me look past how absolutely ugly this new ship is though...

Have to agree with you there Princeton 😉

Hi, 

I think Cunard did an excellent job in designing the Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth. Even though these are Vista Class ships, the public spaces are much grander than the Holland America ships built on the same platform. They definitely feel like Cunard ships. I am encouraged by the repeated acknowledgments during the video of Cunard's unique style and history. Hopefully, the designers will be able to sufficiently revise the Koningsdam design to produce a ship that feels like a true Cunard ship.

Last month, I visited Liverpool during a British Isles cruise on the Crown Princess. I enjoyed seeing the exterior of the impressive Cunard Building. I like the fact that plenty of Cunard references remain on the building.

Chuck

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abo said:

Probably a few red herrings in here, but for those interested in speculation on the name there's some interesting new words registered as trademarks by Carnival plc this summer...

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmowner/page/search?id=426401&domain=1&page=2

Fascinating list. Thanks, abo. I personally think that the name Queen Anne is the most boring on that list although I like the Queen naming convention. Looks like they're keeping their options open with the tm's doesn't it? Aquitania and Aurelia both have a 'golden' connection which Cunard would like.

15 hours ago, brian1 said:

I dispute that the Queen Mary was named after the infamous Tudor "bloody" Mary.

The ship was named after Mary of Teck, the wife of George V. Legend has it that Cunard wanted to name the ship Victoria, but after asking the king for permission to name the ship “after Britain’s greatest queen”, he replied that his wife would be delighted.

Remarkable things you didn't know about the ocean liner Queen Mary

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Underwatr said:

The ship was named after Mary of Teck, the wife of George V. Legend has it that Cunard wanted to name the ship Victoria, but after asking the king for permission to name the ship “after Britain’s greatest queen”, he replied that his wife would be delighted.

Remarkable things you didn't know about the ocean liner Queen Mary

I knew that but Princeton was saying that she was named after a queen that terrorised her subjects and burnt a lot of them at the stake.

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Just saw this Cruise Critic article posted earlier today.

Cunard Reaches First Milestone in Build of New Cruise Ship

Some interesting tidbits about the Queens Room and the theatre. Nothing about the promenade though.

"... don’t touch [the design of] the Queens Room." Is that the design of QM2's Queen's Room, or the QE/QV Queen's Room?

"Simon added that passengers have given the line the greenlight to change the new ship’s theatre." Is that a change from QM2's RCT or QE/QV's RCT? They are entirely different concepts.

20 hours ago, rafinmd said:

One matter of concern is that Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam are unable to go through the Panama Canal because their life boats hang over the side and future ships are rumored to mount the lifeboats a bit differently so that will not happen.  It remains to see how that will affect the promenade deck.

Roy

If I had to make a guess, I would say the interior public area space will just be reduced in size to make way for the more inward lifeboats.  I truly hope I'm proven wrong on this one, and I guess we will find out in early 2020.   

8 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Fascinating list. Thanks, abo. I personally think that the name Queen Anne is the most boring on that list although I like the Queen naming convention.

Queen Adelaide? - consort of William IV and aunt of Queen Victoria. Good nod to Cunard's increasing Australian trade: QE is making 11 visits to Melbourne in 2021-22 plus one from QM2.