Attaching Candy Bar to Tip- yes or no?

namowal

If you want to leave a candy bar in addition to an actual monetary tip, then you should.  If you want to leave candy during the cruise, then you should.  If you want to leave holiday-related candy for your steward/whomever, then you should.

We have seen crew members coming back from port stops with BAGS FULL of candy, soda & chips, cookies & crackers.  Crew members from all over the world doing so all around the world.  On just about every cruise we've ever taken.  BAGS full of candy, soda & chips.  All kinds of candy, some brands we recognize, others we don't.  

We sometimes buy local sweet treats and bring them to share with our cruising buddies at dinner.  The stewards ALWAYS want to know what they are, where we got them, how do they taste.  Not just the waiters for our table.  So we've learned to buy extras.

• Like 1

I try to get to know my cabin steward a bit...if he/she is interested and has time to talk.  When I do that, I decide whether or not cash only or something extra works.

Recently I had a cabin steward who was less than a month from time off and would celebrate his little boy's birthday shortly after getting home.  For him, I did the extra tip and bought a few small toys for him to take home for his son -- just to show his son how appreciated his dad is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

I try to get to know my cabin steward a bit...if he/she is interested and has time to talk.  When I do that, I decide whether or not cash only or something extra works.

Recently I had a cabin steward who was less than a month from time off and would celebrate his little boy's birthday shortly after getting home.  For him, I did the extra tip and bought a few small toys for him to take home for his son -- just to show his son how appreciated his dad is.

That's perfect.  Good for you.

2 minutes ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

Thanks, clo!

Each of my cabin stewards is told the same thing and asked the same question at embarkation: ~keep my ice bucket filled and I'll love you!

~where's home and when do you get to go there next?

Have loved them all!

I test out as an "extreme extrovert."  I love people and I love their stories.  And you bet re the ice bucket.  LOL.  

Cath

14 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

First, lets assume the tips have been left in place or tip has been given. On top of that, comparing whether you would leave a restaurant worker something is ridiculous. They have access to the corner drug store to purchase whatever they need/want which a cruise employee does not. I would much rather get a little treat than a note which BTW only serves to make the giver feel better (superior). Comment cards excepted. 

If they don’t want to keep the treat, they can always share.

I think it depends on the recipient which they would prefer.  Some people's love language is gifts (you likely fall in this category), so a treat will mean more to that person than a card.  Others love language is words, and a well thought out note would mean the world to them.  There are also acts of service, quality time, and physical touch - all of which are harder to provide to someone providing you service 😉 

A personal note, acknowledging me specifically would mean more to me than a random treat that implies the giver didn't give much thought.  A thoughtful small treat, however, that someone took the time to personalize for me would also mean more than a generic "Thanks for your hard work" note.

10 hours ago, clo said:

I hope it does.  But it seems like these folks do the same jobs forever.

Some benefits could be increased pay or time off rather than promotion if it is a hard to promote area.  Some promotions might not be as visible too.  A steward could be promoted from assistant to main steward (example, not sure if actual title), assigned a higher class of cabin (suite gratuities are generally more).  A head waiter in the anytime section might be switched to traditional dining.  Transfer to a different ship could also be a promotion depending on the ship/itinerary.

I work on the basis that this is their job. They work to earn money, and if they are like me, to earn as much as possible.

I wouldnt be best pleased if my boss indicated that I was to get a bonus for some deals I had put in place, only to find the bonus was a family sized Toblerone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Others love language is words, and a well thought out note would mean the world to them. 

This.  I once had a flight attendant give me a little goody bag along with a note that said I was her favorite passenger of the week. 🙂

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I wouldnt be best pleased if my boss indicated that I was to get a bonus for some deals I had put in place, only to find the bonus was a family sized Toblerone.

For the sake of argument, let’s say that your bonus is $1,000. Would you be insulted if you walked into your office and saw a check for $1,000 with a Toblerone on it? 

• Like 2

I had no idea this was such a polarizing topic. On the very first day, I greet our steward with a small gift. Usually a card, thanking them and telling them I look forward to cruising with them and some sort of candy. A small non-descript gift bag with a couple boxes of different candy and a card. 
I also always tip cash and formally compliment them through the appropriate customer service channels so they are recognized. Never once has anyone seemed insulted or put off by it. If anything, it gets me perks that I normally wouldn't get. We stay in balconies, but not suites, and the steward usually will give us robes, slippers, a bottle of champagne, etc - none of which I ask for or assume I will receive. 

Like most said, don't substitute candy for the tip, but if you want to add a little extra something, go for it. What's the worst that happens - they throw it away? Don't make it as serious as people are trying to make it. Do it if you want to, I will continue to do so. 😃 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SherieW321 said:

I also always tip cash

Do you mean that you remove the auto-gratuity and tip cash or that you always tip in addition to the auto?  Also there have been threads here where people who tip in advance have been labeled as bribing which I can understand.  

23 minutes ago, clo said:

Do you mean that you remove the auto-gratuity and tip cash or that you always tip in addition to the auto?  Also there have been threads here where people who tip in advance have been labeled as bribing which I can understand.  

I keep the auto gratuity but if someone goes above and beyond, I will tip cash on top of that. I do that at the end of the cruise, if I've had great service throughout (which I always have). 

I'm sure someone somewhere will find a reason to hate the $3 and 2 minutes of my time to write a card and give candy at the beginning of a cruise. Bribing, though? That's a tad dramatic from those people. 

I can't remember the exact board, but a while back someone posted they always take a really big bag of candy and give it to the customer service people for the engine room and maintenance staff.  Reports were they absolutely loved it - nobody thinks of the crew working to make the ship sail and keep us comfortable and safe on board.

I'm firmly in the leave the candy if you want camp (but if you, OP, have reservations about it, don't do it).  It's a gift, not intended to be a tip or replacement for a comment card or not a thank you note - just simply a nice thing to do for someone.

As a side note, we just purchased a vehicle a little over a week ago, and today we received a very nice thank you card and some good brownies from our salesman/dealership!  Now, we are fully grown mature people and we can afford to buy our own treats but for the life of me I can't figure out why I should be insulted by them sending us a gift as a thank you.  They don't know if we have food allergies, issues or preferences but they sent it anyway.  I appreciate the thought and I enjoyed one just now with my coffee!  However, had it been something I couldn't have, I would still appreciate it and make sure it got into the hands of someone who would like it (sort of paying it forward). 

• Like 2

It seems to me that, just as opinions of posters here vary, they would vary among the crew. Some would love a sweet treat in addition to their cash tips, auto-gratuities, and positive comment cards. Some would not, and would pass them along to others or trash them. 

In the long run, it seems that a kind gesture accompanied by good intentions and respect isn't necessarily something worthy of scorn. Different strokes for different folks. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tapi said:

For the sake of argument, let’s say that your bonus is $1,000. Would you be insulted if you walked into your office and saw a check for $1,000 with a Toblerone on it? 

No but I would be displeased if I was paid in dollars. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

It seems to me that, just as opinions of posters here vary, they would vary among the crew. Some would love a sweet treat in addition to their cash tips, auto-gratuities, and positive comment cards. Some would not, and would pass them along to others or trash them. 

In the long run, it seems that a kind gesture accompanied by good intentions and respect isn't necessarily something worthy of scorn. Different strokes for different folks. 

Of course it is an individual preference.    But, the OP is asking, and  I cannot help but think that cash is a far superior reward than a presumptive gift of candy, toys, or the keepsake type things folks come up with.   

So if you give an extra $5 instead of some candy, then the person can  buy whatever they might want, or stash the cash.  

21 hours ago, clo said:
On 10/29/2019 at 2:54 AM, LoisGriffin1 said:

It goes towards promotion opportunities and extra time off the ship.

I hope it does.  But it seems like these folks do the same jobs forever.

Clo having sailed the same line over many years I have seen stewardesses promotes to being house cleaning managers, others have moved to guest services and destination services. Some bar staff are now head of bar managers. Various other promotions. They all tell me the positive comments in the mid cruise and end of cruise surveys helped.

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Clo having sailed the same line over many years I have seen stewardesses promotes to being house cleaning managers, others have moved to guest services and destination services. Some bar staff are now head of bar managers. Various other promotions. They all tell me the positive comments in the mid cruise and end of cruise surveys helped.

Good to know.  Thanks for sharing.