Carnival charging more per person for rooms with more than 2 guest

Candace60

In my experience in cruising, whenever you have to have children in your stateroom, the 3rd and 4th person paid less. Well on the Panorama if you divide the total cost of the cabin by 2 in a room with 2 people vs the total cost of your cabin for 3 or 4 in cabins containing 3 or 4 guest, the price is much higher per person. Can someone explain the reason for this over charge. Like for instance right now for an interior cabin of June 13, 2020 sailing for two in cabin is total $1752 but for three in cabin the total is $3167image.thumb.jpg.d614db41be50a4b0c03480aa49fff927.jpg

Howdy Candace60! emo22.gif

Thank you for your first post and welcome to Cruise Critic! 👍

Since your post is a question regarding one particular cruise line, I have moved your thread to the Carnival Cruise Lines forum where it will be on topic. Also, the majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Carnival frequent this forum.

Cruise Critic is a great resource and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Categories list. Read a few threads in various forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads or Announcements on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Anytime you want to start a new thread on any forum, make sure you are on the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This will help the members that know the information and they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, ship, port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry if it will help the members with their answers.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication!

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to a new member and so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm a travel agent and noticed this last year when I was creating bookings for my clients. It totally depends on the ship. I haven't noticed this as much on older ships. It also depends on the sailing date. Summer is a more expensive time to cruise. We're booked on the May 23, 2020 sailing for the Panorama. The base fare for the 3rd person in our balcony cabin, our 10 year old, is $190 compared to $830 for guests 1 and 2. The base fare for the same cruise and cabin category is now $269 for guest 3 with guest 1 and 2 priced at $1,089. We booked in April. 

Edited by saharaga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was curious and looked at other room types on that cruise.  The third person is cheaper than the first 2 guests in the other rooms types ( ocean view, balcony, and suite). It is only the interior room where the third person is more.  In fact, an Ocean View room for 3 was only $20 more TOTAL for the cruise than an interior.  To me, it would be worth the $20 to have a window.

• Thanks 2

I recently experienced this as well...and it wasn't on just a newer ship.

My family and I were looking to book a 5 day cruise out of Tampa on the Paradise for 11/18 (Thanksgiving week).   While the first 2 passengers were paying $299/each, the 3rd person was being charged around $900!

So, it's not just the newer ships, but seems to be driven by demand during peek times.  Regardless, this seems to be a fairly new policy for Carnival.  In the past, based on my memory, the 3rd and 4th passengers usually paid about 40% of the 1st & 2nd passenger rate.

Garnett

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, N7786W Flyer said:

I recently experienced this as well...and it wasn't on just a newer ship.

My family and I were looking to book a 5 day cruise out of Tampa on the Paradise for 11/18 (Thanksgiving week).   While the first 2 passengers were paying $299/each, the 3rd person was being charged around $900!

So, it's not just the newer ships, but seems to be driven by demand during peek times.  Regardless, this seems to be a fairly new policy for Carnival.  In the past, based on my memory, the 3rd and 4th passengers usually paid about 40% of the 1st & 2nd passenger rate.

Garnett

Two cabins with the third passenger as a solo would be cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I pointed that out to them, but that didn't seem to faze them at all.  I'm sure they're trying to capitalize on families with small children trying to travel when school is out...or something to that effect.

Garnett

Edited by N7786W Flyer
  • Thanks 1

That 3rd passenger rate is insane. 

I do recommend that you shop around. Many times Carnival isn’t the cheapest. Other cruise lines offer kids sail free promotions which are truly kids sail free and which make the total

cost of the cruise much more affordable.

We cruised on MSC in 2018 and our kids base fare was $0. We are sailing on Holland America in 3 months and once again, their fare is $0. We have two more cruises booked after that. Another MSC in December 2020 and a cruise on NCL for February 2021. On every single one, the kids base fare is $0.

Apparently it's all over the map.  I recently booked a deluxe ocean view on an April Vista sailing.  Deducting the port and tax fees the cabin for two would have been 1,578.  Same cabin for three (again minus port fees and tax) was 1747.  That is considerably less per petson.

It's more common for the third and fourth person to be cheaper than the first and second person. But it's not always the case. Especially in the summer or holidays when more families are cruising. The ship has several occupancy maxes. There is a max in each cabin, there is a max in each section of rooms that muster together, and there's a max for the ship based on lifeboat seats available. The ship wants to sell every available cabin and every available lifeboat seat. If the ratio of 3rd and 4th person cabins being filled is higher than normal, they will fill up lifeboat seats before they sell every cabin. They could then end up in situations where they have several cabins that they can only fill with singles so they may drop the single supplement to fill those. In this scenario it makes sense for them to charge a premium for 3rd and 4th passengers because a.  they can, and b. they would just as soon have you book a second cabin at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After my wife and I got off the Miracle in July we decided to book our cruise for the following summer and this time we wanted to bring our youngest daughter on her first cruise. I used another site to price out the cruise before I called our TA. She found that the price for my wife and I was $ 200 less than what I saw online and my daughter's was about the same as I had found.  She said it was odd and checked a couple of different cabins to make sure it was correct before we booked it.

Supply and Demand being a new ship. Once they reach a certain capacity for more 3-5 people cabins than two people cabins, then they sale at "capacity" but with rooms still available. They set their profit for each sailing, and then adjust prices and offer sales and rate increases along the way to make sure than number is reached...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Candace60 said:

In my experience in cruising, whenever you have to have children in your stateroom, the 3rd and 4th person paid less. Well on the Panorama if you divide the total cost of the cabin by 2 in a room with 2 people vs the total cost of your cabin for 3 or 4 in cabins containing 3 or 4 guest, the price is much higher per person. Can someone explain the reason for this over charge. Like for instance right now for an interior cabin of June 13, 2020 sailing for two in cabin is total $1752 but for three in cabin the total is $3167image.thumb.jpg.d614db41be50a4b0c03480aa49fff927.jpg

I did a mock booking on this cruise and it is actually cheaper to get a ocean view than in interior. It was only $20 more PP for a balcony. 

This happened to us only once on carnival. It is all about supply and demand. 

Donna

Edited by jennas_mum