NSW and QLD Fires

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Bad fires down here on Far South Coast of New South Wales, Princes Hwy is closed to all traffic north and south, between Batemans Bay and Ulladulla.  Evacuation Centres set up at Ulladulla and Batemans bay for those affected.   Coastal communities like Bawley Point etc are cut off.   

The smoke around here has been a shocker around here for the past week.  A lot of water bombing and fire retardant carrying aircraft operating above us.

Not a day to be wanting to drive to/from Sydney, you would have a 3 hour detour via Canberra or Goulburn.

Stay safe, mate. 

3 hours ago, CupcakeSusie said:

The smoke is awful, but worse is losing someone we knew in the fires. We are praying that no more lives are lost. 

Oh no! Very sorry to hear that. I can't believe how bad the fires are this year, it's just shocking. And it's not just in one or two states, it's everywhere!

• Like 1

Just catching up here, hope everyone is safe. We have not had much news since being away, Andy talked to his dad today and there is still smoke around our area up north, just a horrible start to our summer in Australia.
No smoke in Darwin today, but 39c and a thunderstorm!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

It's in the 4th week now, can't believe how rapidly worse our climate gets.

A couple of decades back, just a single day of bushfire wafting to the city was rare and exceptional and noteworthy. A decade ago 2 days in a row was exceptional. Last year we had 3 days in a row for the first time. And now we're up to 4 weeks... with no end in sight.

Princes Hwy between Ulladulla and Batemans Bay has been closed to all traffic for the past 2 or 3 days .   Now the Kings Highway near Braidwood is also closed to all traffic. In essence the Far South Coast of New South Wales is isolated.

Several suburbs have been evacuated because fires out of control.

We live on the southern edge of Batemans Bay, ok for now.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, hancock said:

So sorry you are dealing with all those fires.  Will be visiting Sydney soon.  Are the fires affecting the air quality in Sydney?  Thanks

Yes Sydney air quality is heavily impacted. Health alerts for those with asthma etc.

2 hours ago, hancock said:

So sorry you are dealing with all those fires.  Will be visiting Sydney soon.  Are the fires affecting the air quality in Sydney?  Thanks

Some days are worse than others, it depends on what the winds have been doing. 

4 hours ago, hancock said:

Air quality is poor in Greater Sydney area and other areas impacted by fires, i.e. north and south coast.   Hope fully will clear in the next week.    Princes Hwy between Ulladulla and Batemans Bay still closed both directions.   Some local service stations and supermarkets are feeling the pinch with no deliveries for a week.  Quite a few evacuations in the north of Batemans Bay.  I have just come back from my Meals on wheels duties, we could not deliver to some clients because of fire and smoke.  We are making arrangements for the Rural Fire Service to deliver the meals for us as a couple of their members also work with us at Eurobodalla Meals on Wheels.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear how long these fires have been going for and just how widespread the issue is.  It really is terrible and I have been following along seriously hoping some of the rain we have been getting here heads your way instead.  I say some as I doubt you want all of it.

A month or so ago the ground was so dry where I live and fire risk was so high that even starting up lawn mowers was banned at the risk of creating a spark.  Now we are getting so much rain that the lake is lapping at town and dozens of shops have had to sandbag. The threat of serious flooding has now become all too real.  

It’s such a concern what’s happening with these changing weather patterns and how they’re effecting our different environments.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Air quality in Sydney is pretty bad😷☹️. How you react to it will probably depend on your health. My mum has been getting burning eyes, congestion and struggles sleeping. I really hope these fires end.

The smoke sure does get to you, my lungs are not that good due to Sarcoid, I am staying indoors, too much smoke around for this little black duck.  The big fires are only 5 or 10 km up the road.

• Thanks 1

I'm currently on Ruby Princess running up the NSW coast. According to our position on Google maps we're running about 200km offshore. Very hazy conditions but no actual smell of smoke. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On 12/5/2019 at 12:10 AM, Adventures ahead said:

Also sad to read the news yesterday of fire in the Blue Mountains. Have been looking forward to visiting the national park in early Feb. Everyone, stay safe.

Just read this morning that 2 million acres (800,000 hectares) of forest have been burnt in the Blue Mountains in last few months.

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm currently on Ruby Princess running up the NSW coast. According to our position on Google maps we're running about 200km offshore. Very hazy conditions but no actual smell of smoke. 

The sea breeze is God's A/C. Enjoy your cruise and remember....'Come Back New.' !!

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The sea breeze is God's A/C. Enjoy your cruise and remember....'Come Back New.' !!

Absolutely! We're further offshore now, 300+ kms and the sky is blue with just a faint haze remaining. 

Stay safe, Les.