3 couples in Aqua Class...1 not. Sailing Dining strategies???

zdad59

Our group of 4 couples are sailing on Summit in February.    3 of the 4 couples will be in Aqua suites.   The other chose not to do it.    So we're going to have dining issues.   Group 4 won't have any access to Blu, but we surely can go to the MDR.    We'll do the last night in a specialty restaurant, so that night isn't an issue.     he other nights, maybe we alternate dinner locations ???     Group 4 can buy a pass to Persian Garden to join us there daily.    Off the top of my head I don't see any other conflicts.

Has anyone sailed with a mixed group like this?    This is our 1st time on Celebrity, typically being RCL folks.   We are really looking forward to Celebrity.

Secondary question.....we are used to same table, same servers for the whole cruise and therefore tipping our servers is easy.    Now when we may have different servers each night in Blu, whats the tipping strategy ?     (We don't believe in tipping.   We believe in OVER tipping.)

TIA

• Thanks 1

Dining services are part of your daily gratuities fee.  If you want to tip extra as you go, it would be easiest to just give them cash.  You can ask to be assigned to the same service team every night, and they'll do their best to accommodate you.

You're paying a premium for access to Blu, so if you're not going to eat there more often than not, I'd look into downgrading to a regular balcony room instead.  Blu and the Persian Gardens access are the two big Aqua Class amenities.  The Persian Gardens on the M-Class ships are really not much to write home about, IMO.  They're interior rooms (no sea views).  If you're really into thermal spa therapies, it is ok for that.  It's not what I would consider an oasis to hang out in for several hours, though.

This thread gives lots of opinions about Aqua Class.  Just keep in mind that you're on a M-Class ship.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2676415-is-aqua-class-worth-it/

If  1 couple can’t dine in Blu so you’ll be eating in the MDR, why don’t you all save some money and book non AQ cabins for the other 3.  Seems like couple 4 are making you change your plans, odd.  

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oville said:

If  1 couple can’t dine in Blu so you’ll be eating in the MDR, why don’t you all save some money and book non AQ cabins for the other 3.  Seems like couple 4 are making you change your plans, odd.  

The three of us booked very early and got a crazy deal for AQ and all 4 perks.    A rate cheaper than a regular cabin.     the 4th couple chose to join us at a later date, and at that point the AQ prices were outside their budget.

We will use Blu a lot, just wondering if anyone tried and alternating dinner strategy or some other method to not leave the one couple hanging at dinner each night.

Edited by zdad59
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

The three of us booked very early and got a crazy deal for AQ and all 4 perks.    A rate cheaper than a regular cabin.     the 4th couple chose to join us at a later date, and at that point the AQ prices were outside their budget.

We will use Blu a lot, just wondering if anyone tried and alternating dinner strategy or some other method to not leave the one couple hanging at dinner each night.

Well that makes it more complicated.  Hopefully the last couple will understand the rest of you should have a number of dinners in Blu and you can work out a few nights to dine together.

Hope you all have a great cruise and everything works out.

• Like 1

I also hope everyone in your group has a great experience, but also hope that the non-Aqua folks understand that there is no mechanism in which they can be guests in Blu (ie, the Blu eligible couples can't pay a surcharge to have the non-Blu eligible folks join them).

But just a quick comment about Blu tips -- Blu, like Luminae, has a shared waiter tip pool.  So while you may hand your extra tip envelope to a favorite waiter, the contents of that envelope will go into the pool.  So no issues with not having the same wait staff every evening.  That being said, if you have a favorite waiter it is easy to ask to be seated in their section every night.

• Like 1

Personally I won’t pay for a pass to the Persian Garden on aM class ship, which is what the Summit is.  The PG is heated benches in a interior space vs the S Class ships where the PG are heated loungers with a great oceanview.  

As to dining, the first question is are couple #4 in Select (any time dining)  or traditional fixed time/table.  If they are in Select dining then ask the MaitreD in Blu if he/she can arrange for the 3 other couples to join your friends in the MDR for a couple of nights.  If your friends are in traditional dining then it becomes a bit more complicated as they have a assigned time & table mates so accommodating 6 friends is a bit challenging.  But it never hurts to ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Since 3 of you got such a great deal you could balance the cost by slitting the difference of their cabin with the cost of the AQ by 4 with with the other 3 couples helping to pay 1/4 of the difference.  That way everyone will be in AQ and share in the great deal.  

The other alternative is to have one couple each night join them in the MDR.  On a 7 day cruise  you could do that for 6 days and let them dine alone 1 night.  This is probably the best scenario as a table for 8 or 6 in Blu isn’t always possible and dining with 4 is more reasonable as you normally only converse with the people near you.

If you don’t want to do that then let them dine on their own as they knew what the situation was when they booked.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did the 4th couple understand the dining concerns when they booked? If so, then I really feel the other 3 couples should be free to enjoy Blu without worrying too much. You seem to be already planning the last night for everyone in a specialty restaurant. Beyond that, I might arrange to join them for 1 night in the MDR, but otherwise eat in Blu which is by far the main perk of AQ. I’m sorry if this sounds harsh, but the 4th couple came late to the party. Their unwillingness to pay AQ rates shouldn’t ruin it for the rest of you. There are plenty of chances to spend time together during he day and evening, you don’t have to downgrade your dining to accommodate them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is entirely possible that just nicely explaining the situation to the Blu maitre 'd on day 1 might get them to let the other couple join you as guests for at least a night or two.  The most they can say is no.  I know some here will think this is unfair, crowding in Blu,  whatever but sometimes it just pays to be nice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It is entirely possible that just nicely explaining the situation to the Blu maitre 'd on day 1 might get them to let the other couple join you as guests for at least a night or two.  The most they can say is no.  I know some here will think this is unfair, crowding in Blu,  whatever but sometimes it just pays to be nice.

I've never seen or heard of them making this exception.  It never hurts to ask but expect to be told no.

11 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Our group of 4 couples are sailing on Summit in February.    3 of the 4 couples will be in Aqua suites.   The other chose not to do it.    So we're going to have dining issues.   Group 4 won't have any access to Blu, but we surely can go to the MDR.    We'll do the last night in a specialty restaurant, so that night isn't an issue.     he other nights, maybe we alternate dinner locations ???     Group 4 can buy a pass to Persian Garden to join us there daily.    Off the top of my head I don't see any other conflicts.

Has anyone sailed with a mixed group like this?    This is our 1st time on Celebrity, typically being RCL folks.   We are really looking forward to Celebrity.

Secondary question.....we are used to same table, same servers for the whole cruise and therefore tipping our servers is easy.    Now when we may have different servers each night in Blu, whats the tipping strategy ?     (We don't believe in tipping.   We believe in OVER tipping.)

TIA

We have experience with this, and we had it on Summit last October. Three couples, two in Blu and one (us) in the MDR. It was our worst cruise. Every night we would go for drinks and then we would go off to dinner. We felt totally left behind. We only did this because we had an aft cabin and if you have been in the aft cabins on the M-Class you understand. 

If we had it to do again, we would NEVER do this. It really made our cruise much less than it could have been. We have sailed with the other two couples (one of whom is my brother and his wife) on other occasions and all been in Blu. Wonderful cruises. 

Make sure the couple not in Blu see this and understand how alone they will feel (especially with three other couples) when you walk off to Blu. Since we (and our friends) also love Blu for breakfast, it also meant we ate breakfast alone every day as well. This sucked. Our aft cabin (which we have had on every M-Class we have ever sailed) just wasn't worth it. If we had to do it again, if we weren't in Aqua, we would not go.

Jim

PS: Unless your friends are in a suite they will NOT be allowed to join you in Blu for breakfast or lunch. 

Edited by DrKoob
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

We have experience with this, and we had it on Summit last October. Three couples, two in Blu and one (us) in the MDR. It was our worst cruise. Every night we would go for drinks and then we would go off to dinner. We felt totally left behind. We only did this because we had an aft cabin and if you have been in the aft cabins on the M-Class you understand. 

If we had it to do again, we would NEVER do this. It really made our cruise much less than it could have been. We have sailed with the other two couples (one of whom is my brother and his wife) on other occasions and all been in Blu. Wonderful cruises. 

Make sure the couple not in Blu see this and understand how alone they will feel (especially with three other couples) when you walk off to Blu. Since we (and our friends) also love Blu for breakfast, it also meant we ate breakfast alone every day as well. This sucked. Our aft cabin (which we have had on every M-Class we have ever sailed) just wasn't worth it. If we had to do it again, if we weren't in Aqua, we would not go.

Jim

PS: Unless your friends are in a suite they will NOT be allowed to join you in Blu for breakfast or lunch. 

Next time on the M-class get one of the Aqua Class AFTS - but they do book up very early.

1 minute ago, warmwinds said:

Next time on the M-class get one of the Aqua Class AFTS - but they do book up very early.

You must never have been in a regular aft cabin on an M class. They have HUGE verandas. You could play football on one. The aft Aquas were add-ons and not in the same ballpark 😀

• Like 1

For whatever reason, couple #4 chose not to join their friends in Aqua Class. Appears that was their choice knowing that they might be unable to join "friends" for dinner. I don't think that the 3 couples that chose Aqua Class to be together are under any obligation to go to the MDR to be with couple #4. they can chose to go or not to go to the MDR as they wish. They can always meet for lunch, or share time at a bar, or go touring together.

• Like 2

We had a similar situation. We had booked Aqua and friends decided to join us on the cruise. They decided not to book Aqua and instead booked a regular balcony knowing the dining issue. They chose Select dining. We dined in Blu, they dined in MDR at the same time and we met before or after for shows and other evening entertainment. We dined in MDR one night with them to celebrate a birthday together. As long as everyone understands the arrangements going in there shouldn't be issues. The one rule I've seen strictly enforced is that those not booked in Aqua (except for suite passengers on a space available basis) aren't allowed to dine in Blu for breakfast or dinner.

• Like 1

Let me add that most passengers (myself included) feel that Blu is an upgrade over the MDR in food quality, ambiance and service. You could certainly eat with your friends in the MDR, but it will likely be a downgraded experience. Do you really want to do this because couple 4 didn’t want to pay the going rate for AQ when they booked?

• Like 2

Honestly, you have a couple of options if the fourth couple wants to dine with you- all should take an unlimited specialty dining package- or have meals in different dining rooms.  Persian garden isn't a great perk IMO- but we aren't fans of Blu either- 

Honestly, if all couples book a regular balcony cabin and pay for an unlimited speciality dining package- so much better then either blu or the MDR.

We did AQ  on a couple of different ships and the first time was fine when Blu was introduced, but downhill on our two sailings after.  If you need the points- consider CClass if the price is right.  Also the location of most AQ cabins isn't ideal.  They might be under the gym or pool.  That is my opinion others might disagree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cynbar said:

Did the 4th couple understand the dining concerns when they booked? If so, then I really feel the other 3 couples should be free to enjoy Blu without worrying too much. You seem to be already planning the last night for everyone in a specialty restaurant. Beyond that, I might arrange to join them for 1 night in the MDR, but otherwise eat in Blu which is by far the main perk of AQ. I’m sorry if this sounds harsh, but the 4th couple came late to the party. Their unwillingness to pay AQ rates shouldn’t ruin it for the rest of you. There are plenty of chances to spend time together during he day and evening, you don’t have to downgrade your dining to accommodate them.

Not harsh at all.     I was actually shocked they booked, but we'll love to have them along.    They did understand the differences.   We'll all have a great time together during the day and on excursions, but they may be relegated to a romantic dinner for 2 each night.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zdad59 said:

TIA

z - to answer your questions, directly and without prejudice (well maybe a bit LOL), I have sailed with 'mixed' cabin groups before and what has been done was, we let our friends dine in their AQ or Suite dining room on most nights and they dined with us from time to time in the MDR and/or Specialty.

For us, it was not a disaster or doom and gloom of eating without them... we met people in the MDR to whom we could chat or dine with... after dinner our group(s) all met up and carried on with activities we were doing together... We almost always had lunch and excursions together...

I do not think it will be awkward for you to go off to your assigned dining and #4 to theirs, just as long as they know... You will have Specialty Dining together and at least one (1) MDR together. I will presume that your friends (#4) do not really need you to dine with them every night or expect you to down grade your cabin category just for food. You will have plenty of time to socialize with each other for sure.

Your or their enjoyment of the X experience will not be ruined because of this, I Am sure.

In all dining venues, if you find staff with whom  you click and feel very comfortable with, by all means let the Maitre d' know that way they can insure you are in their section continually. I have had one instance where we had to be seated in a different section but they permitted our preferred staff (Waiter, Asst Waiter and Sommelier) serve us directly... other times we waited until a table in their section became available.

Once you board, then you can determine if the AQ cabins the "value added" amenities are to your liking or not, and by all means come back to let us know, please...

Enjoy, bon appetite and bon voyage

• Like 2