favorite airline

MSUjohn

22 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Long Haul, Short Haul, Coach, Business, First?

USA, North America, Worldwide?

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

Exactly - much too broad a question.

overthinking it gentlemen;  although I did specify no "ME3". just your all around favorite airline.

Edited by MSUjohn
addendum

For flights within North America, my favourite is Alaska Airlines. I appreciate their airmiles program and have benefitted from many free flights, as well as many companion fares (though their credit card). Every single flight I have taken on Alaska has had a friendly crew, I have never had a flight delay, and their food for purchase is quite good.

• Like 1

In our case, its more about "most convenient airline". As we live close to SFO, where United has a very large (their largest?) hub and United can get us to a huge number of places relatively easily, without lots of connections, we fly United. I don't argue they are the best, or the worst. Just the most convenient, in the big picture. We don't have any complaints with them. We fly them 6-8 roundtrips a year, sometimes 10, domestic and international.

delta airlines.

great onboard service, with the cabin crew being friendly and attentive. delta is also bucking the global trend of trimming inflight comfort, by maintaining or even adding amenities such as retaining current seat back IFEs for domestic routes AND expending IFE availability during their current fleet rejuvenation.  delta has also recently introduced new international coach upgrades.

finally, delta also has a fortress hub in DTW.

I fly delta exclusively for domestic flights & most international flights.

• Like 1

We only fly cattle.SA were good on their internal hops,even offering drinks and snacks free.Perhaps that's maybe why they are in trouble.EK,I hate admit have overtaken BA with food and service IMO..

I agree its a bit of a broad question and these days unless you are flying 20-30 trips or internationally a lot airline loyalty is almost useless. 

For a while and still its Jetblue. I hate that they added in a "basic" fare (which is just a fee for the regular fare now), but Jetblue has IMO the best economy product. Good IFE, great comfort, decent snacks included etc.. The legroom and IFE makes the trip much more enjoyable. 

Long Haul: Whoever is the cheapest with all cost/fees included. I typically fly American. Their international product is decent. 

If Ia m flying first or business give me Cathay. 

For a short flight, these days it does not really matter. I flew Allegiant for the first time this month and enjoyed it very much. Great flight attendants, got extra legroom seat for $14 a flight and had two great, comfortable on-time flights non-stop flight for hundreds cheaper other airlines wanted to fly to the same place with a connection. 

Edited by Flymia

I hate flying.  Since we live on an island, our options are limited to American, Delta and in the summer, United.

American would be my choice but their only destination is Charlotte, NC from our island.  That's fine, I can

then change to whatever destination American flies to.  Hate Delta.  Cancelled our early morning flight 3 times

then left with an empty plane because 'the intercom wouldn't work', they only fly to Atlanta (heaven forbid!) and

the ticket agent/ramp agent sent DH only suitcase to Kansas City when we flew to Seattle last September.

Done with them. United only flies during tourist season - May to Nov so they're useless the rest of the year.

45 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

I hate flying.  Since we live on an island, our options are limited to American, Delta and in the summer, United.

Didn't know the bridge was out, keeping you from driving to SAV where there are 8 carriers.

48 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Hate Delta.  Cancelled our early morning flight 3 times then left with an empty plane because 'the intercom wouldn't work',

You do realize that the PA system is necessary for flights with passengers, due to safety concerns.  If the PA is broken, and there is no powered megaphone aboard, no passengers can be carried per federal aviation regulations.  Thus the "empty plane".

• Like 2

Drive to SAV and pay to park for a week or more then have to drive home afterwards?  Yeah, okay, it's 'only' 30 miles but the Hilton Head airport is 1.5 miles from our house.  A neighbor or relative drops us off in 5 minutes- don't have to pay to park.

I know that the PA system is required to work but it would have been nice for Delta to advise everyone waiting in that temporary mobile waiting room what was going on.  No one, including the gate agent knew. We got one story after another, telling us not to leave, it'll only be a while longer.  So our 9am flight, changed to 8am then turned into a 3:30 pm flight, which meant connections had to be rebooked.  Some people did give up and drive to SAV but it was a hassle retrieving their luggage,  The ticket/gate/ramp agent was too busy to do that.  I'll stick to American.

13 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

I know that the PA system is required to work but it would have been nice for Delta to advise everyone waiting in that temporary mobile waiting room what was going on.  No one, including the gate agent knew. We got one story after another, telling us not to leave, it'll only be a while longer.  So our 9am flight, changed to 8am then turned into a 3:30 pm flight, which meant connections had to be rebooked.  Some people did give up and drive to SAV but it was a hassle retrieving their luggage,  The ticket/gate/ramp agent was too busy to do that.  I'll stick to American.

American aren't immune to technical issues either, and at an outstation with minimal service you'd be in the exact same predicament on AA too.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 7:55 PM, Diver2014 said:

Drive to SAV and pay to park for a week or more then have to drive home afterwards?  Yeah, okay, it's 'only' 30 miles but the Hilton Head airport is 1.5 miles from our house.  A neighbor or relative drops us off in 5 minutes- don't have to pay to park.

On 12/27/2019 at 9:49 AM, fbgd said:

American aren't immune to technical issues either, and at an outstation with minimal service you'd be in the exact same predicament on AA too.

HHI?

that would NOT be a delta mainline or American airline for that matter. you will be dealing with contract feeder airlines. this service cannot be compared to a mainline fleet. nor can the gate service.

On 12/26/2019 at 6:20 PM, Diver2014 said:

American would be my choice but their only destination is Charlotte, NC from our island.  That's fine, I can

then change to whatever destination American flies to.  Hate Delta.  Cancelled our early morning flight 3 times

then left with an empty plane because 'the intercom wouldn't work', they only fly to Atlanta (heaven forbid!) and

the ticket agent/ramp agent sent DH only suitcase to Kansas City when we flew to Seattle last September.

Done with them. United only flies during tourist season - May to Nov so they're useless the rest of the year.

we just had the opposite experience. An early flight on american getting pushed back from 8:40-1:30, an hour at a time with zero information given. We did end up switching to a delta flight that day (our of pocket, american did nothing to assist us) and delta was absolutely wonderful. On ours though, we didn’t even know what the issue was. Literally the gate agents just charged the time on the board, no announcements, and then left the gate (I assume to avoid dealing with the customers). 

I think it was a mechanical issue. But don’t really know because not s single announcement about the delay was made. I’ve never experienced a delay before on delta where they just changed the time and then ran into the back to hide from customers.

Edited by sanger727

Our first choice is always Delta. Have issues come up? Yes but always resolved quickly and to our satisfaction. We also like Alaska although we have limited experience with them and almost always on flights operated by a regional such as SkyWest.

Sometimes the gate agents, baggage handlers etc are not employees of the airline operating the flight but are employees of a 3rd party. For example, at some airports, usually the smaller ones in my experience,  DGS handles the ground operations for Delta. DGS  is no longer owned by Delta but by Agenbright Management which kept the DGS name. While their service is usually quite good, this isn’t always the case with other, similarly operated 3rd party companies.

Flying, like all life experiences, doesn’t always go smoothly-that’s just a reality. However, if one hates flying, I am guessing that dealing with issues that are sure to come up sooner or later will be much more stressful. 

As DogLover said, I too wish all a happy 2020 and may your travel tribulations be few.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:55 PM, Diver2014 said:

Drive to SAV and pay to park for a week or more then have to drive home afterwards?  Yeah, okay, it's 'only' 30 miles but the Hilton Head airport is 1.5 miles from our house. 

The (SAV) airport is even called "Savannah / Hilton Head International" ?  

I lived on an island for 25 years, and there was no bridge.  90 minute ferry ride +to/from ferry, or fly; it's a very different situation.

Edited by scottbee

LOL- I was just thinking of posting a thread like this.

Domestic- Alaska

International- really do not yet know. Last year was our first international

flight and it was British Airways. It was fine from SEA to LHR

but from LHR to FCO, pretty nasty and appalled.

So, hopefully more will comment on their favorites.