Crown misses 3 ports

flyers1976

Out of 6 ports on this 10 day cruise, we missed 3.  Princess cay due to generator issue and ship not being at full speed.  Then we missed antigua and st kitts (due to.wind).  Im not entirely convinced we couldn't have made st kitts or antigua if the ship was operating at full capability.  I hope those of you getting on Thursday have a better cruise. 7 sea days on a 10 day cruise isn't for me.

• Like 2

Wow, that is terrible!  We all know that the contract states that it might happen, but I know you didn't make your plans based on that many sea days.  Hope you were able to find some fun things to do aboard.

42 minutes ago, flyers1976 said:

Out of 6 ports on this 10 day cruise, we missed 3.  Princess cay due to generator issue and ship not being at full speed.  Then we missed antigua and st kitts (due to.wind).  Im not entirely convinced we couldn't have made st kitts or antigua if the ship was operating at full capability.  I hope those of you getting on Thursday have a better cruise. 7 sea days on a 10 day cruise isn't for me.

Seems like lately we have had an epidemic of ships with engine problems not only with Princess but also Holland America and a few other lines. 

I love the ship experience, but my main reason for cruising is the ports.  Sorry you missed three.  I know money doesn't make up for the lost island time, but was their any additional compensation for missing so many ports? 

I booked this cruise after our Cuban Cruise on HAL was cancelled.

I loved the itinerary and was excited about the cruise. We had visited all the islands and were excited to revisit. 

Then came our Sapphire Princess Cruise in July. We disliked the cruise so much I cancelled the Crown when we got home. TA was not happy but was not passed final payment. 

Switched the Crown for HAL Nieuw Statendam. We had a great cruise and made all our ports.

DH is not fond of sea days....he was unhappy with the 2 on our HAL cruise! 

My perfect cruise is 2 ports....sea day....2 ports....sea day etc...

So sorry this has happened to you. We got of the crown last Monday and had an extra sea day and all days in ports we cut very short.

i enjoy sea days but like you say it’s getting of at the ports that’s nice. Hope they at least give you some form of compensation 

Honestly, I think there were issues all over the Caribbean. We got off the Sky on Saturday and I honestly don't remember having such tumultuous seas, including wind, as we did. In fact, our captain told us that we were lucky to dock in Cozumel as 3 ships were turned away that day.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@MissP22

I'm waiting for Princess to have a cruise to no where.....

See if they will let you board while they are in Dry-dock!!!  VBG

Actually I would love to see all the action taking place, especially the engine room. 

4 hours ago, flyers1976 said:

Out of 6 ports on this 10 day cruise, we missed 3.  Princess cay due to generator issue and ship not being at full speed.  Then we missed antigua and st kitts (due to.wind).  Im not entirely convinced we couldn't have made st kitts or antigua if the ship was operating at full capability.

Pretty unlikely.  A number of other ships also had to miss those ports.

• Like 3

I was vacationing at a resort in Cozumel last week and the port was closed for two days.  I remember seeing a HAL ship going out to sea in the early afternoon and thought that is really early to be leaving already.  Weather didn't impact my week except one rain shower that passed over.  The one excursion I had did have some rough water to start but calmed down over the day.   Thursday I counted six ships in port.  Town was busy!

4 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I say Princess needs to give out a do-over to all passengers.

Why a do-over?

Very disappointing to miss ports, but Princess does address that in their contract.

Perhaps a future cruise credit equal to a percentage of the fare paid for the current sailing.  But I don't believe a do-over is warranted, given that 2 of the 3 missed ports were due to circumstances beyond Princess' control.

Further, pax are eating, drinking, dancing.  They are being entertained.  Pax are flushing and bathing, and their cabins are being freshened and tended to.  It isn't like pax have been set adrift to fend for themselves or made to sleep on open decks.  Nor, presumably, to suffer in silence with noro or food poisoning. 

Admittedly over-dramatic ... but a full do-over is extreme compensation.

Edited by pms4104
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjmalino said:

Honestly, I think there were issues all over the Caribbean. We got off the Sky on Saturday and I honestly don't remember having such tumultuous seas, including wind, as we did. In fact, our captain told us that we were lucky to dock in Cozumel as 3 ships were turned away that day.

We were on this sailing too. There were five ships in port in Cozumel and they turned three more away? It was crazy as it was--I can't imagine three more ships.

7 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Why a do-over?

Very disappointing to miss ports, but Princess does address that in their contract.

Perhaps a future cruise credit equal to a percentage of the fare paid for the current sailing.  But I don't believe a do-over is warranted, given that 2 of the 3 missed ports were due to circumstances beyond Princess' control.

Further, pax are eating, drinking, dancing.  They are being entertained.  Pax are flishing and bathing, and their cabins are being freshened and tended to.  It isn't like pax have been set adrift to fend for themselves or made to sleep on open decks.  Nor, presumably, to suffer in silence with noro or food poisoning. 

Admittedly over-dramatic ... but a full do-over is extreme compensation.

Not sure why Flishing and Bathing would be covered in the contract.

That should be left to landlubbers IMO.

As far as a do over? 

It's the right thing to do.