Crown misses 3 ports

flyers1976

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Not sure why Flishing and Bathing would be covered in the contract.

That should be left to landlubbers IMO.

As far as a do over? 

It's the right thing to do.

My point was that pax still are enjoying the onboard services.

At what point is a do-over warranted?  After 2 missed ports?  Or 3 or more?

Why is it the right thing to do?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

We were on this sailing too. There were five ships in port in Cozumel and they turned three more away? It was crazy as it was--I can't imagine three more ships.

That's what the captain said during one of his updates. I guess they were limiting the amount of ships in Port. I also know that the ferries to Playa del Carmen were Rocky. So much so that on our way back they came around and passed out sea sickness bags before we set sail. 

Based on past history the best you can hope for is some compensation on a future cruise. A few years ago we were stuck in Southampton for 2 days before sailing on a TA missed 3 ports and got 50% of our base cruise fare off of a future cruise. We thought it was more than generous. Time at sea would have been a dream over being stuck in port

15 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

That's what the captain said during one of his updates. I guess they were limiting the amount of ships in Port. I also know that the ferries to Playa del Carmen were Rocky. So much so that on our way back they came around and passed out sea sickness bags before we set sail. 

We were on one of those rocky ferries a few years back. I'm not prone to motion or sea sickness, but I thought I was gonna die that time. We learned our lesson stayed on the island this time--tasting tequila is so much better than riding rough seas.

• Like 1

We were on the Crown for a 10-Day Caribbean cruise from Dec 27-Jan 6th, and we missed a port (Grenada) due to the generator problem. It was very disappointing because we were really looking forward to that port.

Interesting that they have not been able to fix the generator problem on the Crown.

This sounds a lot like the problem the Caribbean Princess had on my March 2018 cruise. Due to a generator problem we missed one port and had time changes at a few other ports. This was NOT an easy fix. The ship sailed for more than a year with this problem until they could get the needed parts and schedule a dry dock. The Crown is scheduled for a dry (wet?) dock in October 2020. This has been scheduled for quite a while so I don’t know if it will address this new problem. I am booked on the Crown in Feb 2021. This is a long time from now but I’m still concerned that it may not be fixed by then. Only time will tell.

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm waiting for Princess to have a cruise to no where.....with no port charges either. 😍

That's a good idea...no surprises.  While we love sea days because of the movement of the water; we do not like the NOISE and no where to find a chair to sit for a burger or slice of pizza as everyone is at those tables from dusk until dawn playing cards, etc.  We usually do room service on those days, eat in dining room or Sanctuary to avoid all that...it spoils the atmosphere.  When we were young....oh we were out @ 6 AM sleeping in our chairs right by the band on Royal Caribbean...now...well, gracefully why we are with Princess; however, mid 50s is not old...just prefer the more quieter cruises.  Just our 2 cents

We missed three ports on our transatlantic cruise on the Royal in the fall of 2018 but they added two different ports. We received a refund of $27.21 in port fees and  taxes and then $200 in refundable onboard credit. In addition, Princess gave us 25 percent of the cruise fare toward another cruise booked by the end of last year.

This fall we missed two ports on the Crown's transatlantic without any additional ports added to make up for them. We received $3.25 in port fees for missing Ponta Delgada and $23.08 for missing Portland, England. That was it. We did not receive any onboard credit or other consideration.

In other words, Princess is notoriously consistently inconsistent when it comes to whether people receive anything other than a refund of port fees and taxes when ports are missed, even if the problem is something that is their fault.

And I'm betting the Carnival Glory's recent crash into another ship in Cozumel has made the port authorities and cruise lines exercise caution there when there are high winds. They're probably docking the ships a little bit farther apart. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, memoak said:

Based on past history the best you can hope for is some compensation on a future cruise. A few years ago we were stuck in Southampton for 2 days before sailing on a TA missed 3 ports and got 50% of our base cruise fare off of a future cruise. We thought it was more than generous. Time at sea would have been a dream over being stuck in port

We were on that Crown Princess Transatlantic as well.  I call it my 14 day cruise to "almost" nowhere and I learned to NEVER plan a cruise because you want to go to a specific port.  We used our refund for a very nice cruise to Alaska.

Last fall we crossed the Pacific on the Coral Princess and missed a couple of ports because of the weather.  Then we had to spend two extra days in Yokohama waiting for fuel, but one day of it we were anchored out in the harbor with no tender service.  We were just stuck.  If Princess had been forthcoming about what was going to happen, I think a lot of passengers would have hopped a train and spent an overnight in Tokyo or Osaka.  We received NO compensation.

1 hour ago, Busy Mum said:

I’m sorry, but what is a do-over?  I’ve never heard of that saying.

Vicki. 🙂 

That is when you get to repeat something that was not right the first time. So in this case you would get the cruise again for no additional cost.

Thank you for the replies and the explanation.  I couldn’t imagine Princess giving you a ‘free’ cruise for missing some of the ports, that would be extremely generous of them!!

Thanks again,

Vicki. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Busy Mum said:

Thank you for the replies and the explanation.  I couldn’t imagine Princess giving you a ‘free’ cruise for missing some of the ports, that would be extremely generous of them!!

Thanks again,

Vicki. 🙂 

Thanks for asking Vicki. I had no idea what it meant either but was afraid to ask. 

35% of base fare in future cruise credit seems more than  fair to me.  Sure it's disappointing to miss ports, it does happen.  It happened to me on my British Isles cruise.  I lost only 1 port, but one never knows if or when they will get back there. 

38 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

35% of base fare in future cruise credit seems more than  fair to me.  Sure it's disappointing to miss ports, it does happen.  It happened to me on my British Isles cruise.  I lost only 1 port, but one never knows if or when they will get back there. 

Can the 35% off be used on the best price you find or only off of full fare?

1 hour ago, Tak8 said:

35% of base fare in future cruise credit seems more than  fair to me. 

More than fair!?

It's a GIFT!

In reality, Princess doesn't owe anyone anything for missing ports due to bad weather.

This is pure goodwill, to stop the kvetching of the self-entitled that don't think the terms apply to them.

Edited by CineGraphic

53 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

It's a GIFT!

In reality, Princess doesn't owe anyone anything for missing ports due to bad weather.

This is pure goodwill, to stop the kvetching of the self-entitled that don't think the terms apply to them

True.  Maybe it will be 35% off list price, so still higher than normal 🙂

We were on a Transatlantic Cruise in 2013 on the Crown and missed 3 ports. A couple of months after the cruise, we were informed that we would be getting cruise credits to the tune of $3200 from Princess. Not promising that this will happen of course, but that's what happened to us 🙂