Disappointing Elation Cruise- All ports missed

HMM

Just got back from a 5 night cruise on the Elation.  Departed Canaveral on 1/11.  Missed all scheduled ports of call!  Missed Amber Cove DR due to engine malfunction.  According to the crew the engine couldn’t maintain enough propulsion to make it to the port.  They didn’t bother to tell us until about 30 minutes before the scheduled arrival, even though they knew of the problem overnight.  They then said, don’t worry, we’ll be in Grand Turk the next day.  The next day, the captain called off Grand Turk due to high winds after a couple of failed approaches.  On the way out we saw another larger newer ship approaching Grand Turk.  A review of the Grand Turk port website showed that ship was able to dock.  After 3 sea days, we finally ported in Nassau.  Not a fan of Nassau.  The only compensation was $50 per person onboard credit for each port missed- total $100 credit.  Clearly insufficient.  If not for the fact we were a large group traveling together and made the most of it and still had fun, it could have been a real problem. 

I would suggest avoiding this ship.  It has had similar problems in the past.  In the past it was reported the passengers also got a 50% credit for future cruise, which was not offered to us.  Has anyone had success following up with CCL after the cruise to obtain more compensation such as future cruise credit?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HMM said:

Just got back from a 5 night cruise on the Elation.  Departed Canaveral on 1/11.  Missed all scheduled ports of call!  Missed Amber Cove DR due to engine malfunction.  According to the crew the engine couldn’t maintain enough propulsion to make it to the port.  They didn’t bother to tell us until about 30 minutes before the scheduled arrival, even though they knew of the problem overnight.  They then said, don’t worry, we’ll be in Grand Turk the next day.  The next day, the captain called off Grand Turk due to high winds after a couple of failed approaches.  On the way out we saw another larger newer ship approaching Grand Turk.  A review of the Grand Turk port website showed that ship was able to dock.  After 3 sea days, we finally ported in Nassau.  Not a fan of Nassau.  The only compensation was $50 per person onboard credit for each port missed- total $100 credit.  Clearly insufficient.  If not for the fact we were a large group traveling together and made the most of it and still had fun, it could have been a real problem. 

I would suggest avoiding this ship.  It has had similar problems in the past.  In the past it was reported the passengers also got a 50% credit for future cruise, which was not offered to us.  Has anyone had success following up with CCL after the cruise to obtain more compensation such as future cruise credit?

You're lucky they gave you $50/pp. They didn't have to give you a dime and will highly unlikely give you future OBC or more compensation. You acknowledged that you understood this and agreed to it when you accepted that cruise contract.

d) Carnival may change the duration and/or itinerary of the cruise at any time. The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Master's discretion and for any purpose, and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, hurricanes, tornadoes, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns, US or foreign governmental advisories or travel warnings, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Except as provided in Clause 7(c) with regard to early termination of a voyage, Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances for any change in itinerary, ports of call, ports of embarkation and debarkation, and/or or duration of the cruise, other than as provided by Carnival's change of itinerary policy at the time Guest or his agent acknowledges receipt and acceptance of the terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract. Carnival’s change of itinerary policy can be found at on Carnival's Website or at Carnival's FAQ page.

• Like 5

Although it is an inconveinence, why do people expect compensation for ports missed? Doesn't it say in the contract they can miss ports for any reason they see fit?  We missed plenty of ports while cruising, and never expected any kind of compensation.

• Like 11

In today’s world we have come to expect mediocrity. I, for one, do not accept that, and do not function that way in my business. When I screw something up, I try to make it right.  While the weather is beyond the control of a cruise line, when they have a ship that has had engine problems in the recent past, and they don’t adequately fix or repair it to the point it happens again causing many well laid out plans to get screwed up- I do expect adequate compensation.  Particularly when they don’t adequately keep customers informed.   I don’t expect handouts, but do expect a cruise line to give you what they represent, such as a properly functioning vessel, when you sign on and pay. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HMM said:

In today’s world we have come to expect mediocrity. I, for one, do not accept that, and do not function that way in my business. When I screw something up, I try to make it right.  While the weather is beyond the control of a cruise line, when they have a ship that has had engine problems in the recent past, and they don’t adequately fix or repair it to the point it happens again causing many well laid out plans to get screwed up- I do expect adequate compensation.  Particularly when they don’t adequately keep customers informed.   I don’t expect handouts, but do expect a cruise line to give you what they represent, such as a properly functioning vessel, when you sign on and pay. 

And you know that the previous problem was the same as the current problem?  I love that folks here lump every problem a ship has into "propulsion problem" or "engine problem".  Would you say that worn out brakes and a rusted out muffler are "repetitive" problems with your car?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HMM said:

Sorry you were unhappy with your cruise.  Still confused, did you not hit any ports. Your thread title implies this, but pretty sure Nassau is a port.  If we only had vision that a ship (or our car or whatever) past mechanical issue means future success or failure.  How soon do you want them to notify you of issues?  Sounds like sour grapes to me, happy cruising.

• Like 13

I am sorry you missed 2 ports, thankful you made it to Nassau. the cruise line owes you nothing, they gave you an on board credit, and by law they had to provide you with the port taxes for ports missed. that's all. Why on earth would you be offered a 50% future cruise credit or anything? No one can control the weather. Ports are missed almost every day. Read your cruise contract. A port can be missed for any reason the Captain decides. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HMM said:

The next day, the captain called off Grand Turk due to high winds after a couple of failed approaches.  On the way out we saw another larger newer ship approaching Grand Turk.  A review of the Grand Turk port website showed that ship was able to dock. 

First of all, sorry that you missed the ports. From personal experience, I know how disappointing it can be. 

About another ship making it later while yours didn’t, I know how infuriating that can seem. But keep in mind that various factors go into play. Ship capabilities, weather conditions at the specific time of arrival, and the Captain’s comfort level and decision making process.

In an attempt to explain your situation using aviation terms (where I have some expertise), I’m going to start by saying that not all airplanes have the same capabilities. Some have more strict wind limitations than others, and some can land in almost zero visibility while others aren’t certified to go that low. There are times when airplanes can’t make it into an airport due to winds/visibility and they need to divert, but 30 minutes later the conditions have improved enough for other airplanes to land safely and within limitations. While not exactly the same, similar factors most likely apply to cruise ship operations

Maybe at your specific time of arrival, winds were not conducive to safe docking while an hour or two later they could’ve been. but by then, the window to go to Nassau so that the ship would have enough time to cover that distance and at least give you a day in port would’ve been missed. Rather than bobbing around near Grand Turk waiting for conditions to maybe improve, and then potentially missing the chance to go somewhere else and thus being forced to have even more disappointment with another day at sea, it seems that Carnival made the right decision under the circumstances to go to Nassau.. 

There are many behind the scenes factors and people involved that go into making these decisions, several which are beyond the comprehension of the average passenger. Decades of training an experience are many times hard to condense into a few sentences which passengers can understand, which in turn leaves many feeling the way that you’re feeling. 

Once again, sorry to hear that your original ports of call were canceled and that you went to Nassau instead, but I’m confident that the decisions made were with safety as the top priority, and giving you the best vacation possible under the circumstances as a second priority. And that, in my humble opinion, is more than enough compensation. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 13

21 minutes ago, Tapi said:

First of all, sorry that you missed the ports. From personal experience, I know how disappointing it can be. 

About another ship making it later and you didn’t, I know how infuriating that can seem. But keep in mind that various factors go into play. Ship capabilities, weather conditions at the specific time of arrival, and the Captain’s comfort level and decision making process.

Comparing your situation using aviation terms (where I have some expertise), not all airplanes have the same capabilities. Some have more strict wind limitations than others, and some can land in almost zero visibility while others aren’t certified to go that low. Also, maybe at your specific time of arrival, winds were not conducive to safe docking while an hour or two later they were, but by then, the decision had already been made to go to Nassau so that the ship would have enough time to cover that distance and at least give you a day in port, rather than bobbing around near Grand Turk waiting for conditions to maybe improve, and then potentially missing the chance to go somewhere else and thus being forced to have even more disappointment with another day at sea.

There are times when airplanes can’t make it into an airport due to winds/visibility and they need to divert, but 30 minutes later the conditions have improved enough for other airplanes to land safely and within limitations. While not exactly the same, a similar thought process most likely applies to cruise ship operations. 

There are many behind the scenes factors and people involved that go into making these decisions, several which are beyond the comprehension of the average passenger. Decades of training an experience are many times hard to condense into a few sentences which passengers can understand, which in turn leaves many feeling the way that you’re feeling. 

Once again, sorry to hear that your original ports of call were canceled and that you went to Nassau instead, but I’m confident that the decisions made were with safety as the top priority, and giving you the best vacation possible under the circumstances as a second priority. And that, in my humble opinion, is more than enough compensation. 

You always so it so well....

• Thanks 1

Why so many people cruise and then complain when ports are missed is beyond me.

If you are on land then you are not cruising. It's not like you've booked a flight and it has to divert for technical or other reasons. You are on a ship "CRUISING".

The ports, (though I accept not to many people), are largely irrelevant. I couldn't care less where the ship gets to, the vacation is the ship not the ports.

Hope you stuck your hands in your pockets and gave out all those extra tips for the extra service you got.

• Like 2

Having watched the video of two ships being blown into each other a few weeks back, skipping a port due to high winds sounds like a smart decision to me.  Especially if that ship had been having propulsion issues the previous day.  I would much rather have a sea day than be stuck in a port because it crashed into something. 

So often you hear of ports having to be skipped, but little mention of compensation for it.  Getting $100 OBC as compensation, I feel, was very generous and out of the norm.  I hate that you are disappointed, but hope that you had some fun spending that OBC on board

• Like 1

At least you got some OBC.  Sounds like you actually missed one port that could be considered Carnivals fault, Amber Cove.  Grand Turk was due to weather which is not something Carnival has control over and if it was unsafe to port, then it was the right decision.  It is unfortunate when ports are missed, but it part of cruising.

2 hours ago, HMM said:

Sorry to hear your cruise got so messed up. Yes most of us have to plan vacation cruises a year out. To finally have the day arrive and the excitement begin is awesome. I would feel much like you that i did not get the vacation i awaited and paid for. True the contract says (whatever). You would hope that Carnival just makes it right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HMM said:

You could also make the argument it would be foolish to book a cruise on a ship that has known engine problems. Also, you should understand any contract you sign, including the contract between you and Carnival. 

While I can certainly understand your frustration about missing ports, Carnival is under no obligation to provide you with any form of compensation. 

Hi

I understand your frustration, it's always disappointing when the cruise doesn't as you had booked. 

I think you also understand, whether you are willing to admit out loud or not, there is nobody at fault here.

So, it just comes down to compensation. Since most (here) would agree, there was no "fault", no compensation is actually due. You did get $50 p/p. How much more do you feel would make you "whole" (again remembering no one is at fault)? That's the actual amount that you could possibly get. You won't likely get more than you ask for. Now, the question as you posed, is whether it's worth pursuing. I would say that most often, if you tried to get more, you would not be successful. I would also say that you may be successful. However, it would involve some effort and more importantly, time. Obviously, you are not going to just make a telephone call, or write a letter, and have them say... we apologize profusely and say we made a mistake and here is more money. If that was the way it worked, everybody would do it and it would be common knowledge. That is not the case.

the decision is yours if it would be a waste of your time

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Why so many people cruise and then complain when ports are missed is beyond me.

If you are on land then you are not cruising. It's not like you've booked a flight and it has to divert for technical or other reasons. You are on a ship "CRUISING".

The ports, (though I accept not to many people), are largely irrelevant. I couldn't care less where the ship gets to, the vacation is the ship not the ports.

Hope you stuck your hands in your pockets and gave out all those extra tips for the extra service you got.

Let's put it in another perspective.  I usually do two types of Caribbean vacations, cruising and all inclusive.  The entire reason we cruise is not to be on a boat but to have an all inclusive vacation where we get to site see in other countries.  If I wanted to be stuck at the resort all the time I would go to an all inclusive instead.  With an all inclusive you get better food (at least at the ones I go to), you get a bigger room, you get a beach there and larger pools.  Some like cruising to stay on the boat but there are a LOT of people like me that like the fact that you are going to different countries and get to have your room and dining go along with you.

If I was on a cruise that couldn't dock because of ship difficulties then I definitely would want some sort of compensation because I went on the cruise to go places and see new islands etc...

On airplanes whenever I travel if there are mechanical difficulties that delay or change my itinerary there is usually compensation.  When I fly to Europe those airlines actually have to pay $800 euros for a disruption for more than 2 hours to someones trip on an international flight.  You might not get annoyed when your trip is completely changed on you but it is completely unreasonable to expect someone else who is cruising to not be disappointed and not want compensation.  I would go stir crazy if I was on a ship for 5 days straight.  I need to get off at ports and sight see.  My wife is completely different and that is why cruising works for us.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

Sorry to hear your cruise got so messed up. Yes most of us have to plan vacation cruises a year out. To finally have the day arrive and the excitement begin is awesome. I would feel much like you that i did not get the vacation i awaited and paid for. True the contract says (whatever). You would hope that Carnival just makes it right.

Carnival already make it more than right with $100 pp

OPs title was a bit over the top. They did have a port stop. Yes, I have missed several ports for various reasons but I would never plan a cruise with so few planned stops if my main reason was to see ports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HMM said:

I would suggest avoiding this ship.  It has had similar problems in the past. 

2 hours ago, HMM said:

...when they have a ship that has had engine problems in the recent past, and they don’t adequately fix or repair it to the point it happens again causing many well laid out plans to get screwed up- I do expect adequate compensation.

OP:

Respectfully, can you please answer:

- What maintenance issues did the Elation have in the past?

- Does she still have the same issues?

- Did the ship miss these ports specifically because of said maintenance issues?

If the answer to the last question is yes, then you have an understandable reason to be upset at Carnival. But if you don’t have confirmation that this is true, and your thread is based on hearsay evidence or conspiracy theories that you heard or read from others who may not be well versed in the matter, then you need to understand that your dissatisfaction doesn’t have a solid foundation.

Edited by Tapi

2 hours ago, robc1972 said:

Rather be on a cruise no matter where it stops or doesn't stop than at work.

Didnt really miss much with the two stops you skipped anyway.

People say this all the time about all kinds of vacations. Like, a rainy day at Disney is better than a nice day at work! While that may hold true for some, when you've saved your money and used your precious vacation time, and things don't turn out they way you'd hoped for, it can be very disappointing. You spent money in exchange for a "product" and when that didn't deliver it sucks. Yeah I know, we can't control the weather and other circumstances, but it doesn't mean that you can't be disappointed and bummed out you didn't have the experience you'd hoped for.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ummgood said:

On airplanes whenever I travel if there are mechanical difficulties that delay or change my itinerary there is usually compensation. 

Once again, the OP speculated that the ship couldn’t dock due to mechanical issues. She has no confirmation or reason to believe that this information is accurate. 

That aside, it’s not quite apples to apples comparing flying with cruising. When you fly, the airline is responsible for getting you from point A to point B, period. When you cruise, you’re purchasing “a” cruise, and the cruise line is responsible to deliver exactly that: “a” cruise. Ports of call are not part of the cruise line’s responsibility just like getting you to your destination specifically on your original flight or equipment is not the airline’s responsibility.

As mentioned above, the airline’s responsibility is to get you from point A to point B, and the “compensation” that you receive is proportionate to the level of inconvenience and delay that you experience getting to your destination. If you’re quickly rebooked on another flight that gets you to your destination within a few hours of your original arrival time, chances are that your compensation will be zero. But if your reroute requires long layovers or overnights, then you may get food vouchers and hotel stays. Anything additional is out of the goodness of their heart, at least in the USA. But you’re not going to get compensation because you flew on an Airbus instead of on a Boeing, or because you connected in Chicago with a 2 hour layover instead of Dallas with a 1 hour layover even if that’s what you originally booked and you really, really wanted to see Dallas. 

In the OP’s scenario, Carnival fulfilled their contractual obligation. They delivered a cruise for the number of nights. Any compensation for a missed or exchanged port of call is purely out of the cruise line’s discretion. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ummgood said:

On airplanes whenever I travel if there are mechanical difficulties that delay or change my itinerary there is usually compensation.  When I fly to Europe those airlines actually have to pay $800 euros for a disruption for more than 2 hours to someones trip on an international flight.  You might not get annoyed when your trip is completely changed on you but it is completely unreasonable to expect someone else who is cruising to not be disappointed and not want compensation.  I would go stir crazy if I was on a ship for 5 days straight.  I need to get off at ports and sight see.  My wife is completely different and that is why cruising works for us.

Compensation for flight delays are totally different.  You are either stuck in plane or at an airport. Boring!  And compensation is only paid after 2 hrs, as you stated.  Missing ports does suck and is annoying, but you are 'stuck' on a ship with an unlimited amount of activities to choose from.  Yes, the port would have been better and maybe you had an excursion booked, but $100.00 of OBC sounds very reasonable to me.

• Like 1