lobster & seafood in the dining room

TXRed

Hi y'all, since it has been a while since we cruised we were wondering if they still served lobaster in the dining room and if so can you still order more than one? 

We are going on an Alaska cruise and are wondering if there are any options that are Alaskan...not sure what that would be...caribou? moose? (asking for my son) Alaskan salmon?

Thanks again...as usual I appreciate all your responses.

Hey @TXRed, welcome back to cruising! I haven't been on an Alaskan cruise yet so I hope this still applies. But from my experience, you will get lobster tail on a formal night (usually the later/latter ones) and during that night, you can definitely order more than one. Note that it comes on top of a bed of lemon-arugula risotto, so if you only want more lobster but less risotto, you can ask them to have your additional lobster tails on the same plate.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

Hey @TXRed, welcome back to cruising! I haven't been on an Alaskan cruise yet so I hope this still applies. But from my experience, you will get lobster tail on a formal night (usually the later/latter ones) and during that night, you can definitely order more than one. Note that it comes on top of a bed of lemon-arugula risotto, so if you only want more lobster but less risotto, you can ask them to have your additional lobster tails on the same plate.

Thanks we are so excited to be able to cruise again...and thanks for the tip...I try to limit my intake of carbs anyway!! 

57 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

So, is it cold water or warm water lobster.  What size?  And quality of the product?

Thanks,

40 minutes ago, Justalone said:

So, is it cold water or warm water lobster.  What size?  And quality of the product?

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure Princess uses warm water lobster. However, I've only ever eaten lobster from the MDR and not anywhere else on the ship, so I can't speak for other venues. The lobster tail is small (maybe 5 inches?) and isn't the most flavorful, but given that we don't eat it at home, it's fine by me.

• Like 1

Although we have not enjoyed dinner in the Crown grill ,we would think that the lobster they serve would be Maine Lobster; which are cold water lobster tails .The difference in flavor is huge between warm water & cold water lobster tails  .I personally do not care for the taste of the MDR ,warm water lobster tails & I do not order them there .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Justalone said:

Thanks,

It's lobster tails....who knows if it is cold or warm water....they were good and we each ordered two!  I also got 2 escargots!

• Like 1

We sailed the Royal in Alaska in July 2019 and had to pay extra to have lobster tail AND steak.  It was  $19 upcharge.  I was surprised because so many people had encouraged us to eat in the MDR (we prefer “grazing” at buffets, pizza, burgers, salads, sandwiches,  etc).  We were told by family who had cruised previously that you can order as many entrees as you want.  Well, that was not our experience having a $19 upcharge because we wanted lobster AND steak.  We are going on another Princess cruise, a different ship, next week an will check this out again to see if maybe it was just the ship that we were on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mar18519 said:

We sailed the Royal in Alaska in July 2019 and had to pay extra to have lobster tail AND steak.  It was  $19 upcharge.  I was surprised because so many people had encouraged us to eat in the MDR (we prefer “grazing” at buffets, pizza, burgers, salads, sandwiches,  etc).  We were told by family who had cruised previously that you can order as many entrees as you want.  Well, that was not our experience having a $19 upcharge because we wanted lobster AND steak.  We are going on another Princess cruise, a different ship, next week an will check this out again to see if maybe it was just the ship that we were on.

You paid the $19.00 for the steak not the lobster, cause I ordered the steak in the MDR on our last cruise and was charged $19.00

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mar18519 said:

They have "free" lobster on one of the formal nights, but they have an upcharge option on the menu each night. 

• Like 2

For a more Alaskan meal, do a princess run fishing excursion.  And if you catch a salmon,  they will cook it for you and serve it in the main dining room for about $40.  Or at least they used to offer this.

Regarding wild ungulates (moose, caribou, deer, etc),  I’m fairly certain the whole US has made it unlawful to sell wild game meat due to the history of unregulated market hunting prior to 1900.  Here in Colorado it’s a felony.

I doubt moose do well in farmed situations.  I was served some in Estonia once, and in that case I’m assuming it was from a wild source, but who knows.  I believe caribou (Reindeer)are Still farmed in places, Scandinavia being the first region to come to mind, and you can try that meat some time.  
it’s possible Alaskan native corporations have some other arrangement allowing them to sell other wild game meats, but I’m not sure about that one.  So it’s highly unlikely that Princess would serve those things but you may be able to eat some while off the ship.

• Like 1

' So it’s highly unlikely that Princess would serve those things but you may be able to eat some while off the ship.'

Thanks for your reply and I am sure my son will seek those items when on shore... I am good with plain old beef ☺️

5 hours ago, skynight said:

The DR lobster tail is small, maybe 6 ounce size. I have seen when a person wanted two tails the waiter actually brought another fully plated meal. Can happen. Lobster tails in the Crown Grill are larger, maybe 8 ounces.

We usually order 2 or 3 tails. Most of the time they are placed on the same plate which is great for us. We do not eat sides.

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

They have "free" lobster on one of the formal nights, but they have an upcharge option on the menu each night. 

thanks for your reply....is that new? to have upcharge items in the MDR?

We have crab legs on our recent Alaska cruise.  If I am not mistaken I believe we had some Alaskan Salmon and Halibut.  Also reindeer sausage.  ( since we did a land tour pre cruise I might be mistaken about the sausage)

We had a wonderful land tour and cruise with our grandkids.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TXRed said:

thanks for your reply....is that new? to have upcharge items in the MDR?

I don't believe it's new. It's branded as "Crown Grill Selects," essentially asking if you would like *one* entree item (i.e. lobster OR steak) from Crown Grill ($19), or choose a Crown Grill entree entirely ($29), just as you would at the actual restaurant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

We have crab legs on our recent Alaska cruise.  If I am not mistaken I believe we had some Alaskan Salmon and Halibut.  Also reindeer sausage.  ( since we did a land tour pre cruise I might be mistaken about the sausage)

We had a wonderful land tour and cruise with our grandkids.

WOW...crab legs....sounds great as does both Salmon and halibut. We would have loved to do a land tour with the cruise .....just couldn't happen this time. Thanks for your reply.

6 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

I don't believe it's new. It's branded as "Crown Grill Selects," essentially asking if you would like *one* entree item (i.e. lobster OR steak) from Crown Grill ($19), or choose a Crown Grill entree entirely ($29), just as you would at the actual restaurant.

Thanks for making that clear. We plan to go to the Crown Grill for my DIL's birthday. 

12 hours ago, skynight said:

The DR lobster tail is small, maybe 6 ounce size. I have seen when a person wanted two tails the waiter actually brought another fully plated meal. Can happen. Lobster tails in the Crown Grill are larger, maybe 8 ounces.

True ....  Probably not the best lobster you're ever had ....  problem is getting the real drawn butter in a little side bowl for them.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Right!  It has been around for a couple of years already.  

I'd still rather go to the Crown but, it works for some.  

• Like 1