Just booked Apex (1st celebrity cruise) - why so much hate for edge class?

Docbizarro

27 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I am not sure you can throw out that generalization. I get it you and others didn’t like the ship. We sailed in an inside room and really enjoyed the experience. Then again we don’t hang out at bars or lounges. Everyone cruises different and enjoys different things. 

We found good food and music on the ship, the shows were the best we have seen at sea, and enjoyed sitting out on the Magic Carpet. It’s not a perfect ship and I stated that in my review, but we have yet to find one that is. 

I know you recommend an S class ship to someone based on your experience and comments on this board. We are booked on the Constellation, not sure the class, and I am very nervous it won’t meet our expectations. A few on here were positive when I brought up sailing a non E class ship, so we will give it a go since a day cruising is better than a day working. 

Thank you for the observation, much appreciated...

Constellation is a M Class ship which are some of the smallest/intimate ships in the fleet.

bon voyage

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

To the comment about the review section of this site. I personally find it to be a waste of time and don’t use that section nor did I post my review there. I did however do a long detailed review on the forum allowing people to ask questions and I could do lots of pictures and link in videos as well. 

The reviews live and post on this board are where I get my info. A lot of you have been extremely helpful before our Edge trip, and hope the same will be true for the Apex (have forward facing oceanview so we have our front view:) ) and when we branch away from the E class and sail the Constellation in 2022. 

I’m looking forward to reading about your experience in that lovely Ocean View cabin. When is your Apex cruise? Ours is in November.

5 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I’m looking forward to reading about your experience in that lovely Ocean View cabin. When is your Apex cruise? Ours is in November.

Early 2021 and we will do a full review. We had a forward facing oceanview on the Brilliance of the seas an loved it. To actually have a sitting area will be over the top. Just hoping our college grad, we hope, likes it. It will be her first non Disney Cruise. 

This year we are on Adventure of the seas, will be interesting after last sailing the Edge:)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you for the observation, much appreciated...

Constellation is a M Class ship which are some of the smallest/intimate ships in the fleet.

bon voyage

That is great, we generally like sailing smaller ships. Our three favorites, can’t really give an order are the Edge, Disney Magic, and RCCL Brilliance of the Seas are all smaller ships. We have just found the smaller ships to have happier and more friendly staff. The performances venues also have a more intimate feel which is huge when listening to singing acts. 

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Easy, because it's true.  Edge was designed to benefit the suite guests not the rest of us.  If the IV balconies were so good, they would have put them in the suites.

Than how can you explain that some non suite guests enjoyed it? Including some regular posters/Celebrity cruisers on this board. We are new to Celebrity, but so far like what we are seeing. 2022 will be the test to see if we are all in. 

I can definitely see why some don’t like it, but we all like different things. Watching the RCCL board and seeing the outrage of the Diamond level cruisers losing their concierge lounge access, 470 replies since Friday, tells me how different people value different things. Having sailed concierge level in the past I am glad to see this, but don’t tell that to the people being kicked out during happy hour. I would be happy to have the free drinks I could get at any bar. 

I will say when we were onboard we definitely saw a bunch of people that didn’t appreciate a majority of the performances, partly due to the style of music, but that definitely changed when another style of music was played one night.  The music was definitely current when we were on, but sadly I here that is changing. Most people we chatted with liked the ship overall. 

We will likely never sail the infinite veranda. It’s either insides, oceanview, or someday again the concierge level staterooms. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Than how can you explain that some non suite guests enjoyed it? Including some regular posters/Celebrity cruisers on this board. We are new to Celebrity, but so far like what we are seeing. 2022 will be the test to see if we are all in. 

I can definitely see why some don’t like it, but we all like different things. Watching the RCCL board and seeing the outrage of the Diamond level cruisers losing their concierge lounge access, 470 replies since Friday, tells me how different people value different things. Having sailed concierge level in the past I am glad to see this, but don’t tell that to the people being kicked out during happy hour. I would be happy to have the free drinks I could get at any bar. 

I will say when we were onboard we definitely saw a bunch of people that didn’t appreciate a majority of the performances, partly due to the style of music, but that definitely changed when another style of music was played one night.  The music was definitely current when we were on, but sadly I here that is changing. Most people we chatted with liked the ship overall. 

We will likely never sail the infinite veranda. It’s either insides, oceanview, or someday again the concierge level staterooms. 

You've heard all of the criticism of the IV balconies, elimination of the Sky Lounge and other common areas, if those don't bother you then enjoy your cruise.  Please allow others to have the opportunity to inform people of their problems with the design.  It's really nothing personal.  Many people seem to equate criticism of the Edge to be equivalent to criticism of their first born. 

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

Never sailed in a balcony suite but the Edge has had the best cabin- an IV balcony we have ever had out of balconies/ OV/ Large OV suites / insides.  We loved the Edge especially how many nice quite little hide away areas near bars to just sit and chat quietly with  great mellow background music something we found hard to do on our last Celebrity sailing on the Infinity 

That's great, many people don't share your opinion.  Please allow those people to have a voice.

32 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You've heard all of the criticism of the IV balconies, elimination of the Sky Lounge and other common areas, if those don't bother you then enjoy your cruise.  Please allow others to have the opportunity to inform people of their problems with the design.  It's really nothing personal.  Many people seem to equate criticism of the Edge to be equivalent to criticism of their first born. 

I am ok with people criticizing it, but also let people share their positive reviews as well. I attempt to be balanced and realize the Edge isn’t for everyone, I witnessed that on the ship. My comments are my opinion, you have yours.

I personally thought your comment that most non suite guests were less then ecstatic about the ship seemed off based on what I have read on the forum. Seems like the negative comments try to minimize the positive ones. That was the only comment of yours I responded to, so not sure how I am not allowing you to comment about what you feel about the ship lol. Maybe you didn’t fully read my reply, because I agree some won’t like it. 

I think the thing we can agree on, is that the E class was designed to bring in new cruisers to Celebrity and be very different from their other ships. Well they brought us onboard and we now have two more Celebrity cruises booked. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I am ok with people criticizing it, but also let people share their positive reviews as well. I attempt to be balanced and realize the Edge isn’t for everyone, I witnessed that on the ship. My comments are my opinion, you have yours.

I personally thought your comment that most non suite guests were less then ecstatic about the ship seemed off based on what I have read on the forum. Seems like the negative comments try to minimize the positive ones. That was the only comment of yours I responded to, so not sure how I am not allowing you to comment about what you feel about the ship lol. Maybe you didn’t fully read my reply, because I agree some won’t like it. 

I think the thing we can agree on, is that the E class was designed to bring in new cruisers to Celebrity and be very different from their other ships. Well they brought us onboard and we now have two more Celebrity cruises booked. 

Our next 3 Edge and Apex cruises are not in suites as was our April ‘19 cruise.  There is no doubt they will be wonderful.  We were very happy with our IV cabin in April but almost canceled based on people posting here who haven’t cruised on the ship, so glad we didn’t.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Perhaps you need to read more about the Edge to better understand my perspective about the suite guests.  I'm fine with the suite guests having their dedicated areas, but I believe the design of the Edge has utilized too much of the prime areas of the ship for the suite guests.  Specifically forward facing areas of the ship.   A non suite guest does not have any areas to go tp watch as the ship sails into a new port or to look for whales in Alaska, etc.  They have eliminated the Sky lounge and the forward facing open areas on the top deck.  I'm not aware of any other ship that does not allow guests a forward view.   This, coupled with the poorly executed IV balcony concept and poorly designed balcony furniture has turned the E-class ships into a non-starter for me.   This has been discussed in depth many times before.

If you like the Edge that's great, but please don't minimize the perspective from those of us that don't.

The original question was: "Why are there so many negative things being discussed about the E-class?"  The answer is simple: The E-class does not meet the needs of many cruisers.  This is not an issue about old cruisers liking their old ships, it's about the E-class not meeting the needs of new cruisers.  It's really a simple answer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What I notice in all discussion about the edge is many comments from many different people that are positive - including most of the recent actual reviews on here - there are a few ongoing right now with nice photos included.  But we keep seeing that the most negative comments come from the same names again and again some of which cruised it way back before changes were made and things were tweaked and more bizarre is some of these commentators have never sailed the ship. 

I only have just started commenting since I returned last week, I have no idea how I could have made any judgement at all if I had not been on her.  I read so much stuff that was negative and can't understand a lot of it, except the valid comments from ipeeinthepool  regarding no forward facing indoor lounge restricted to suites.  There is forward facing outdoor space, from spa but I think you need to be using this to go or be aqua but there are no chairs.  So I agree this is a change and some may/do hate this aspect no longer being available, so worth considering if you liked spending a lot of time inside looking out the front. But I didn't miss it as don't really like being stuck inside much and when there has been outdoor space here I have always found it too sunny with no shade &/or too windy.  On my cruises and  the magic carpet was so nice, quite and very comfy and has views to the front ,oneside and the rear  with the added advantage of shade, so hard to beat.

As for Alaska, whale watching or Norway this is the ship I plan to choose if it goes to these, as even in bad weather the view from my IV will be to die for- cannot stress how lovely it was.  But I am not a sun person so I do understand that if someone wanted a very sunny balcony this may not suit you but on saying most other balconies we have had have had over hangs that shaded them for a good part of the day.

I would say for people unsure I find the best way to asses the ship is reading most reviews on this part of the site as they quite often have pictures esp if its an organised person doing a diary type review. 

As they say a picture says a thousand words. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If you like the Edge that's great, but please don't minimize the perspective from those of us that don't

But those of you who don’t are constantly minimizing the perspective and even experience of those who do and who try to offer balance to those of us who have not sailed her yet and are preparing.

The “let us (them) speak” road runs both ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just returned from the Edge yesterday.  The greatest discontent on this thread seems to be with the IV.  We stayed in the Sky Suite but poked our head in the IV.  I would gladly stay in one.  The design increases the average size of a veranda cabin by 23 percent.  Other than that, it looks like any other veranda cabin.

The loyalty program happy hours were different from our Celebrity cruises more than a decade ago which we liked very much.  They are now in The Club (a disco) which would not be our first choice. However, they appear to extend the happy hour all bars with no stated limits.  This eliminates a bunch of loyalty members sitting in a room speed drinking to try to get hammered (used to be us also which was really stupid because we had the drink package).  The main reason these folks are at the event is for the appetizers.  

The Suite experience was wonderful.  You did get a lot of attention, but we also visited Blu, the main dining room, Oceanview Cafe and other areas.  I would find these areas as good or better than any other cruise.

We're Diamond Plus on Royal, but are probably going with Celebrity due to a decidedly elevated experience.  We've sailed with most every major cruise line.  The Edge is one of the most intelligently designed ships I've ever sailed on.  It does have fewer bars but better run.  Never waited long for a drink.  

I would say if you're predisposed to having a bad time, you're going to have a bad time.  We're the type that think every ship we've sailed on has a good product and each just has a few difference we like better which is why we've gone with Royal/Celebrity.  The Edge was a cut above the rest for us.  It pressed all the right buttons.

Edited by Caribbean Tom
Corrected typo.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

What a few of the 'critics' of The Edge Class of ships fail to realize IMO, it is generally the same individuals making the comments.

As you stated, most of us do not mind 'criticism' of The Edge or any other ship or service or tours or ??? about X and its' ships. Most of us value first hand experience and if not, value that too, except when either experiences are repeated by the same individuals under the guise of 'letting new posters' know what they think when ones' question is not, specifically, about like of the IV's, lack of bars, or ???.

I trust many who ask for info, input or thoughts on specifics will realize that there are many passengers not only here on CC but those who are not, really enjoy The Edge, albeit with comments about how to improve their experience(s) aboard going forward. Very few sailings are perfect, but we make them so, in our own way, regardless of some issues. We know some passengers have major issues on any sailing and they need not be discounted at all... to be sure. We learn from them on these.

I must say that our group of 13 which had a mix of veteran and first time cruisers, the first timers were overwhelmed with the beauty and layout of The Edge... most of the veteran's loved the IV's and the child loved Camp At Sea...  Yes, we had a few issues not to the degree worth posting more than once or twice about.

Come to think of it, those who have spoken up about not liking The Edge for other reasons have yet to chime in on Camp At Sea, yet.

Thank you for your input and thoughts on this.

bon voyage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Perhaps you need to read more about the Edge to better understand my perspective about the suite guests.  I'm fine with the suite guests having their dedicated areas, but I believe the design of the Edge has utilized too much of the prime areas of the ship for the suite guests.  Specifically forward facing areas of the ship.   A non suite guest does not have any areas to go tp watch as the ship sails into a new port or to look for whales in Alaska, etc.  They have eliminated the Sky lounge and the forward facing open areas on the top deck.  I'm not aware of any other ship that does not allow guests a forward view.   This, coupled with the poorly executed IV balcony concept and poorly designed balcony furniture has turned the E-class ships into a non-starter for me.   This has been discussed in depth many times before.

If you like the Edge that's great, but please don't minimize the perspective from those of us that don't.

The original question was: "Why are there so many negative things being discussed about the E-class?"  The answer is simple: The E-class does not meet the needs of many cruisers.  This is not an issue about old cruisers liking their old ships, it's about the E-class not meeting the needs of new cruisers.  It's really a simple answer.

we will have to agree to disagree on the fact about minimizing your viewpoints because we really liked the Edge warts and all. Just because I say something positive doesn’t discount what others say. Heck maybe Celebrity should just scrap the Edge and Apex;)

I do agree that the lack of forward facing views sucks, and I noted in my review on here and in a pointed after cruise email to Celebrity. We worked around it by being out on the Magic carpet during sailing in and out of ports, actually really cool. Hoping they will modify future designs to fix this. We booked the forward facing oceanview on the Apex just to get this view. 

The opposite of what your saying could be true. Seems like anytime something good is posted, others have to shoot it down. 

I think if we ever met on a ship we could have a fun debate on cruising and what directions lines should go. 

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

we will have to agree to disagree on the fact about minimizing your viewpoints because we really liked the Edge warts and all. Just because I say something positive doesn’t discount what others say. Heck maybe Celebrity should just scrap the Edge and Apex;)

I do agree that the lack of forward facing views sucks, and I noted in my review on here and in a pointed after cruise email to Celebrity. We worked around it by being out on the Magic carpet during sailing in and out of ports, actually really cool. Hoping they will modify future designs to fix this. We booked the forward facing oceanview on the Apex just to get this view. 

The opposite of what your saying could be true. Seems like anytime something good is posted, others have to shoot it down. 

I think if we ever met on a ship we could have a fun debate on cruising and what directions lines should go. 

This seems to be the real issue with many of the Edge fans.  You may like the IV balconies and I don't.  That doesn't mean that you are wrong or you are a bad person.  No one is trying to "shoot down" your perspective.  It simply means that we have different needs and desires and it beneficial for others to hear both viewpoints.  I'm not sure why this has become so personal with many people.  

As far as minimizing the viewpoints of those who don't like the E-class, from my perspective, that was the tone of this thread.  To paraphrase it, "I liked the Edge why are so many people posting negative comments?"

I think we likely agree on more things than we disagree, hopefully we'll meet on a future cruise and have a drink.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Amen to all of that! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

But those of you who don’t are constantly minimizing the perspective and even experience of those who do and who try to offer balance to those of us who have not sailed her yet and are preparing.

The “let us (them) speak” road runs both ways.

It's certainly a two-way street.  However the tone of this thread indicates an implied dislike for anyone that doesn't like the E-class ships.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It's certainly a two-way street.  However the tone of this thread indicates an implied dislike for anyone that doesn't like the E-class ships.  

As do the ones that are all negative imply a dislike - and even dishonesty - of anyone who likes it.. I have seen far more people say that they have or have almost canceled Edge cruises based on the vitriol of the threads by those who do not like it both on their own threads (the ones who do not like it) as well as on threads of those who do enjoy it. They definitely outnumber those of us who have chosen to give it a chance with an open mind based on positive reviews - and perhaps just an optimistic attitude that any day at sea is better than none.

But again, a two-way street.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

As do the ones that are all negative imply a dislike - and even dishonesty - of anyone who likes it.. I have seen far more people say that they have or have almost canceled Edge cruises based on the vitriol of the threads by those who do not like it both on their own threads (the ones who do not like it) as well as on threads of those who do enjoy it. They definitely outnumber those of us who have chosen to give it a chance with an open mind based on positive reviews - and perhaps just an optimistic attitude that any day at sea is better than none.

But again, a two-way street.

Based on your signature, it looks like we'll be seeing each other in a couple of weeks in Grand Cayman.  I'll be on the Silhouette enjoying lunch on my balcony.  I hope you can open your window. 😉

I'm sure we'll both enjoy our cruises.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Based on your signature, it looks like we'll be seeing each other in a couple of weeks in Grand Cayman.  I'll be on the Silhouette enjoying lunch on my balcony.  I hope you can open your window. 😉

I'm sure we'll both enjoy our cruises.

And honestly it doesn't matter if I can't. The fact that I can have a solo stateroom that actually looks out rather than being an indoor padded coffin is already a win in my books.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And honestly it doesn't matter if I can't. The fact that I can have a solo stateroom that actually looks out rather than being an indoor padded coffin is already a win in my books.

I agree, solo staterooms are a good add for the Edge.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I have seen far more people say that they have or have almost canceled Edge cruises based on the vitriol of the threads by those who do not like it both on their own threads (the ones who do not like it) as well as on threads of those who do enjoy it. 

I was one, and following the Edge build thread being excited about a new ship and trying a new cruise line, it was difficult staying excited reading some of the posts. When I first saw the renderings of the Edge I told my wife we are sailing on that ship and booked it 2 days later, so the ship brought us to Celebrity. People like VT, Hcat, Oville and many others kept me excited about the brand and the ship.

I am a glass half full person when cruising. We note and comment on the negatives in reviews and to the cruise line, but always try to find the good and and enjoy the heck out of that. Heck our last Disney cruises were the most boring ever, but we found an amazing piano player and singer, general cruise staff, that we became groupies of and it made our trip. At the end of the trip he actually came over and thanked us for coming to all his performances, which I thought was cool that he didn't think we were creepy;).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And if it gets really bad you have lots of pillows to take out your frustration on;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2