Music in the MDR and Specialty Restaurants (Sabatini's, Crown)?

need2cruisesoon

I'm glad it's here so I can comment 🙂 I don't do very well hearing when there's background noise. Nothing that requires treatment but it is tiring to try to listen to and particpate in a convo when there's other noise. And if it's live music then some people will have to sit closer than perhaps they want. My two cents.

I haven't been on the Coral or Island in years so I don't know if they still have live music in the Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse. Back in the day they had trios playing light jazz and, IIRC, a small dance floor.   I'm sure someone with current experience will chime in.

Never have seen music on Princess ship dining rooms... years ago on some Holland American ships there were life 3 piece combo groups... actually was very pleasant... now that you mention, I would enjoy some background music.  

13 hours ago, mom says said:

How would you avoid that? Take out your hearing aids, or put in ear plugs?

I do not wear hearing aids.I love music .I have written songs.I have many friends who are singers,musicians,song writers.It is just my opinion that people in general do not listen to background music whether it be in elevators,restaurants,etc.

• Like 1

There's never, in my experience, been piped-in music in any dining rooms, which I am grateful for. I'm choosy about what kind of music I enjoy, and most likely, the classical music I prefer would not please some other passengers. Plus, my elderly ears wouldn't want any music as the dining rooms have plenty of ambient noise that sometimes makes hearing conversation a bit iffy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Just curious if there has ever been or is currently live music in any of the dining venues on Princess ships?

On the old Crown Princess, there was a single main dining room.

(The galley was one deck down, with escalators)

I remember a string trio playing in the dining room when I first went on the ship,

but on later cruises, they were gone.

I guess they were downsized with Pelican Pete...

P.S. According to one maitre d', the escalators were a major source of work-place injury.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:59 PM, capriccio said:

I haven't been on the Coral or Island in years so I don't know if they still have live music in the Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse. Back in the day they had trios playing light jazz and, IIRC, a small dance floor.   I'm sure someone with current experience will chime in.

When we were last on Coral (about 10 months back) this nice bit of entertainment was absent.  It was, as you say, very nice years ago.  We're on Coral again in April and if the music has returned I'll be sure to note it in my voyage report.

Edited by jondfk

On 1/25/2020 at 5:04 PM, need2cruisesoon said:

Just curious if there has ever been or is currently live music in any of the dining venues on Princess ships? Or piped in music to give a soothing ambiance while dining?

Certainly even Pavarotti would be enjoyed while dining at Sabatinis?

yes some Pavarotti, Bocelli or Caruso would be nice.