PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

I cannot imagine Japan letting any non citizens disembark at the end of 14 days and those citizens that do would I expect, go into another mainland isolation facility. 

The issue is where can Diamond port next? No one will take them. There is a lot more story to unfold. 

1 minute ago, Tamerton said:

We are booked on the 15 March Diamond Princess cruise and they are offering a 50% cruise credit if we cancel now.

It looks like they will cancel a few future cruises.

Should we take it or hang on in case of a better offer?

Will you get a full refund as well?

• Like 1

We are due to be boarding the Sapphire Princess on Thursday 13th from Singapore. As of yet,we have received very little from Princess rather than the global alert from the website. We fly to singapore on Monday. 

Edited by strachan01

21 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I have a feeling the quarantine will be longer than 14 days. I think I read somewhere that the virus can survive on surfaces for 28 days.  

I agree, this ship quarantine is going to be a very valuable controlled scientific study of the virus.  Hopefully the virus stops spreading/appearing so they can all go home soon!

I don't see how 14 days works, even if the longest incubation period is at or less than 14 days.  So on day 7 or 12, the Nth patient gets sick, and thus infects a few others (or might).  That's a new start for the 14 days...

There IS some interaction, even if passengers are confined to cabins.  What happens to the used food trays?  Do the crew change safety suits between visits to cabins (for food delivery, cleaning - IS there housekeeping provided??)...

A lot of information is possible from this, but at considerable inconvenience to a lot of people.  It almost seems that keeping everyone ON the ship is almost guaranteed to facilitate at least *some* viral transmission.  The ship is not set up like a hospital, with all of the isolation procedures, and staff *familiar* with those procedures.  And disposable gowns for each entry into each room, and then disposal...  etc...

GC

55 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

The US navy has two hospital ships that are in San  Diego

When not in use, these ships operate with a skeleton crew. But in as little as five days, each can be converted into a 250-, 500- or 1,000-bed mobile hospital with a crew of 1,200 Navy physicians, nurses, corpsmen, technicians and support staff. These are some of the most highly trained medical personnel in the world – working together as only a Navy crew can – with the skills to handle primary, trauma, pediatric, and orthopedic care. Each ship has 12 operating rooms, with specialized trauma centers and post care-unit beds included.

It is amazing what can be accomplished medically on these ships, both for military personnel and civilians. No wonder these two ships have become a symbol of hope around the globe whenever disaster strikes.

US already has a fully staff and well equipped military hospital in Japan. Many serious casualties during the Vietnam war were flown directly from Vietnam to Japan for medical treatments.

10 minutes ago, Tamerton said:

Yes

That's not what I got. I talked to Princess about our March 15th cruise also and I was told I don't get any refund. Just 50% FCC. I am very unhappy about this. Seems like they don't have a consistently policy on how to deal with this. Would like to know more people what they are offered by Princess Cruises.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tamerton said:

Yes

I'm not acting as your lawyer (or anybody else's!) but I would be my entire annual cruise budget that there is fine print in your contract allowing them to cancel for natural disaster, act of God, etc. without any compensation (edit: beyond refund of cruise fare). 

Assuming you have insurance to cover the cancelled flights, I would take it now with the credit.  If you don't, I'd counter with a request for the credit and the cost of your cancelled flights and see what happens.

Edited by JennAngel9
to make clear i think they have to pay back cruise fare

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

The US navy has two hospital ships that are in San  Diego

When not in use, these ships operate with a skeleton crew. But in as little as five days, each can be converted into a 250-, 500- or 1,000-bed mobile hospital with a crew of 1,200 Navy physicians, nurses, corpsmen, technicians and support staff. These are some of the most highly trained medical personnel in the world – working together as only a Navy crew can – with the skills to handle primary, trauma, pediatric, and orthopedic care. Each ship has 12 operating rooms, with specialized trauma centers and post care-unit beds included.

It is amazing what can be accomplished medically on these ships, both for military personnel and civilians. No wonder these two ships have become a symbol of hope around the globe whenever disaster strikes.

Note they are equiped for trauma, not isolation and quarantine.  Not a good fit to be used to handle quarantine passengers.  Of course by the time the ships got there the quarantine would be pretty much over.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tamerton said:

We are booked on the 15 March Diamond Princess cruise and they are offering a 50% cruise credit if we cancel now.

Actually normal penalty is 50% refund of fare plus port fees, not FCC.  They will try and steer you to FCC, but at this time it is 50% refund.  Your only other option is wait and see if more cruises get canceled.

45 minutes ago, Tamerton said:

Interesting.  Myself and daughter are on the 24th March sailing.  Watching this thread with interest. 

8 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

I'm not acting as your lawyer (or anybody else's!) but I would be my entire annual cruise budget that there is fine print in your contract allowing them to cancel for natural disaster, act of God, etc. without any compensation (edit: beyond refund of cruise fare). 

Assuming you have insurance to cover the cancelled flights, I would take it now with the credit.  If you don't, I'd counter with a request for the credit and the cost of your cancelled flights and see what happens.

So, does this mean if a cruise company cancels a cruise they don't have to refund the money?  

25 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I don't see how 14 days works, even if the longest incubation period is at or less than 14 days.  So on day 7 or 12, the Nth patient gets sick, and thus infects a few others (or might).  That's a new start for the 14 days...

There IS some interaction, even if passengers are confined to cabins.  What happens to the used food trays?  Do the crew change safety suits between visits to cabins (for food delivery, cleaning - IS there housekeeping provided??)...

A lot of information is possible from this, but at considerable inconvenience to a lot of people.  It almost seems that keeping everyone ON the ship is almost guaranteed to facilitate at least *some* viral transmission.  The ship is not set up like a hospital, with all of the isolation procedures, and staff *familiar* with those procedures.  And disposable gowns for each entry into each room, and then disposal...  etc...

GC

The passengers are isolated from each other, restricted to cabins or when allowed on deck kept atleast 3 feet apart, no touching, no gathering in groups etc.  Basically it is isolation procedures, under the control of the Ministry of Health and Welfare.

Normal services are stopped (no stewards cleaning room)  Food is left outside of room.  Those delivering do not enter room.  Dishes left outside of room.  Occupants are responsible for  keeping room tidy.

1 minute ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

So, does this mean if a cruise company cancels a cruise they don't have to refund the money?  

No if they cancel they refund.  If they don't cancel normal penalty policy exists.

17 minutes ago, mcfly666 said:

That's not what I got. I talked to Princess about our March 15th cruise also and I was told I don't get any refund. Just 50% FCC. I am very unhappy about this. Seems like they don't have a consistently policy on how to deal with this. Would like to know more people what they are offered by Princess Cruises.

So  -  is your March 15th cruise not yet cancelled and you are desiring to cancel; or did they cancel it and they will not refund your money, but instead are giving you FCC?

As I have been reading the threads regarding the novel corona virus I am reminded of the H1N1 “swine flu” epidemic in 2009.  I can identify with the OP.  In May of 2009 we were booked on the Sapphire Princess for a 7 day western Mexico cruise leaving from LA.  Up until just a few days prior to the cruise Princess did nothing.  Nearly all other cruise lines either cancelled or changed their itineraries, but most importantly they offered their passengers the opportunity to change their booking to a different cruise at no additional cost if they were not comfortable going to Mexico, not Princess.  Even other cruise lines under Carnival’s umbrella provided that option, not Princess.  Finally a few days before the cruise Princess decided to change the itinerary to a California coastal cruise, BUT NO ONE was given the option to cancel or to switch to a different cruise.  The irony was that there were more cases of the H1N1 in LA than in any of the port towns to be visited in Mexico!  (Mexico did not close their ports.)  

Most of the passengers on board were from California and none of us were happy about visiting ports where we lived.  Princess finally caved to media pressure and gave each of us 50% of the cruise cost back in credit to be used toward another cruise.  To this day we refer to that cruise as the “Princess swine flu cruise”.  Even though they were within their contract of passage, Princess handled that situation poorly when nearly every other cruise line gave their customers flexible options.  I realize that diseases are out of Princess’ control, however how they manage the situation defines them. Those of us on the cruise felt that Princess held our vacation money captive.  

We have gone on to sail with Princess again.  However before we book we ask ourselves if we would be content not to be allowed to get off the ship in any of the ports on the itinerary.  Because of that experience we have taken more land based trips vs cruises if the destination is the priority.  

To the OP I understand your anxiety.  In unusual circumstances like this virus uncertainty can leased to frustration.  You want to keep yourself safe and you don’t want to lose your hard earned money.  I wish you the best.

1 hour ago, Tamerton said:

If they are offering a 50% cruise credit and a refund for the March 15th cruise take it now.

My guess is they will be cancelling this cruise. I'm starting to wonder how many of the crew may be quarantined now , possibly with symptoms like fever, cough. It has been reported that 33 crew members on the ship in Hong Kong have symptoms of the virus.

32 minutes ago, npcl said:

The passengers are isolated from each other, restricted to cabins or when allowed on deck kept atleast 3 feet apart, no touching, no gathering in groups etc.  Basically it is isolation procedures, under the control of the Ministry of Health and Welfare.

Normal services are stopped (no stewards cleaning room)  Food is left outside of room.  Those delivering do not enter room.  Dishes left outside of room.  Occupants are responsible for  keeping room tidy.

Thanks.  This is good to know, and encouraging...

... except those bed and bath linens will be getting rather ripe after a while...  🙁

And those items would be a real source of contamination from any room with sick passengers.

At least they seem to have the food sorted out, and ditto the meds.

I'd think they could have some smaller boats (Coast Guard equiv?) bring some meds to the ship if someone has a real need for something the ship doesn't stock or doesn''t have i sufficient quantity, without needing to dock.

GC

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks.  This is good to know, and encouraging...

... except those bed and bath linens will be getting rather ripe after a while...  🙁

And those items would be a real source of contamination from any room with sick passengers.

At least they seem to have the food sorted out, and ditto the meds.

I'd think they could have some smaller boats (Coast Guard equiv?) bring some meds to the ship if someone has a real need for something the ship doesn't stock or doesn''t have i sufficient quantity, without needing to dock.

GC

I expect that they will distribute new towels and linens the same way as food after a few days.  New ones left at the door.  Old ones left outside door for someone to pick up.  Laundry will have to be checked and cleared prior to that occurring though.