Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

On 2/3/2020 at 4:16 AM, dog said:

Some on elite board have got notice that ports have changed for their Asia cruise. Call Princess

Can someone please tell me how to access the ELITE BOARD. It has been mentioned in a few posts but I can’t find it.

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SakeDad said:

So there is an IMPORTANT NOTE here....of the 273 tested that had symptoms only 31 (THIRTY ONE!!!) have been returned and of those 31 10 have been positive! So it's NOT 10 of 273, it's 10 of 31 with all the rest to still have results come back.....BIG DIFFERENCE!

We do not know if the 31 tests completed were people chosen at random our of the 273 people who had symptoms, or if they were people who had been in closer contact with the infected person. It is possible that a couple of these people occupied the cabin that was previously occupied by the infected person. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Confined in their cabins- inside cabins for some- what a nightmare- confined in an inside cabin for two weeks. Uhh- i wonder how that works out.

I personally would love two weeks in an insde cabin right nowas dear MiL is coming to stay for a couple of days☠️🙊🍻

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Credit 00 said:

Just no, we’re stuck on a balcony and this is completely unfunny 

I agree, not funny at all. Please just try to ignore those who are so insensitive as to make light of the situation. I am so sorry that you are going through this. This, too, shall pass.

Edited by hllwdcruiser
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, MaudeLou said:

Can someone please tell me how to access the ELITE BOARD. It has been mentioned in a few posts but I can’t find it.

Thanks

I cannot post a link. It is a facebook group.

David Abel has posted on this site with his live updates from the Diamond.Someone posted a link to his fb video on one of these threads.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dog said:

I cannot post a link. It is a facebook group.

David Abel has posted on this site with his live updates from the Diamond.Someone posted a link to his fb video on one of these threads.

group is called Princess Captain Circle elite

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 4:19 PM, gvre said:

We are booked on Diamond B2B April 2nd thru the 20th .

We are healthy in our 60’s. We have been debating should we cancel.  Why risk it. If we cancel by Wednesday we lose about a $1,000 after that it will be about $3,000.

I know this is a popular cruise for Chinese passengers.  They say about 20% of the passengers. Right now it looks like they would be denied boarding. Right?

Anyone’s thought or opinion are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich and Deb

Hong Kong media are reporting on Saturday evening that an 80-year-old cruise passenger has been tested positive for the Wuhan coronavirus, pending further testing.

Early reports are suggesting that his cruise itinerary involved a stop in Kagoshima and he had not visited mainland China the entire trip. Prior to the vacation, he had visited a local hospital for follow-up on Jan 15.

Ming Pao reported that the man flew to Tokyo on Jan 17 and went on the Jan 20 Yokohama > Kagoshima > Hong Kong voyage. Diamond Princess arrived and left Hong Kong on Jan 25, the first day of Lunar New Year. 

The man reported that he has been coughing since Jan 15 and developed a fever on Jan 30. But it is important to note for now that it cannot be concluded that if the five-night voyage was "in the loop".

Authorities are investigating if the old man caught the virus from his wife, who might have recently made trips to mainland China. It is now known that your healthy family member may still pass you the virus - a Taiwanese man had returned from Wuhan and infected his wife with the virus, while he has shown no symptom.

It is also entirely possible that he caught the virus locally in Hong Kong after the trip, as incubation period for the novel virus is believed to be 2-14 days.

Understand 

Just now, Lynneeee said:

Understand your dilemma ans sympathies to all involved in current situation.

we are due to go on Sapphire Princess from Singapore to Thailand and Vietnam on 22nd Feb following a land tour through Cambodia.

all these 4 countries have reported several cases

Obviously don’t want to catch it but also don’t want to spend our holiday worrying , watching other people for signs or bad hygiene and wearing masks.

although the cruise starts 22-2 we actually have to leave home on 15-2 and would like some info before we leave.

19 minutes ago, Credit 00 said:

Yes, can’t imagine being inside.

Inside cabin passengers and many crew members stuck inside with no sky, sun, moon.

(Is there is a bow/stern camera view broadcast on TV for INSIDERS to at least see the outside?)

Drinkers unable to receive drinks.

Smokers unable to smoke.

None of those issues are as big as the virus, but those issues can lead to other medical and/or mental health issues for passengers who are alcohol dependant, nicotine dependant, or claustrophobic.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Where did you see or read  that the passengers are confined to their cabins? Maybe I missed something. I think they’re just confined to the ship. They may have been confined to their cabins for a short time so the medical personnel could check everyone. 

I see now where the passengers have been confined to their cabins ,but perhaps now that’s changed. Seems as though they actually might be getting food now ,not sure if it’s being brought into their cabin or out and about the ship. I did see Mr. Abel’s videos( hope authorities have as well) and while I feel for everyone on that ship. Seems like things are being updated minute by minute and changes are being made as they go along.  Still can’t believe that passengers medical concerns on the ship have not been addressed. Very concerning especially if you’re made to stay in your cabin. Let’s hope passengers can get out of their cabins and eat normally as they do. Even though they’re confined to a ship .

The Diamond Princess cruise ship has been quarantined off Japan for 14 days because a number of passengers were determined to be carrying the coronavirus. The infected parties were taken to hospital while the remaining passengers and staff remain on the ship.

A second cruise ship from Genting Cruises was quarantined off Hong Kong as well. Hong Kong-based Genting is  owner of Crystal Cruises, although this ship isn't a Crystal ship.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadians-coronavirus-cruise-ship-japan-1.5452345 

I'm sure there are a lot of pissed off cruisers being quarantined for 14 days aboard a cruise ship as undoubtedly there were some B2B cruisers onboard, not to mention many people have work and other commitments during those two weeks. I can see tempers running short pretty quickly being confined to a cruise ship for 14 days, not to mention the future passengers as the Princess Diamond is out of service for the next two weeks (as a minimum - there might be some sanitation downtime after the quarantined passengers debark).

From the article: 

Princess Cruises said the affected patients include:

• 2 from Australia.
  • 3 from Japan.
  • 3 from Hong Kong.
  • 1 from the U.S.
  • 1 from the Philippines.

They were among 273 people tested because they had a cough or fever, which are symptoms of the virus, or had close contact with a man who got off the ship in Hong Kong and was infected.

Edited by bigbadandugly

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

Inside cabin passengers and many crew members stuck inside with no sky, sun, moon.

(Is there is a bow/stern camera view broadcast on TV for INSIDERS to at least see the outside?)

Drinkers unable to receive drinks.

Smokers unable to smoke.

None of those issues are as big as the virus, but those issues can lead to other medical and/or mental health issues for passengers who are alcohol dependant, nicotine dependant, or claustrophobic.

Honestly we feel lucky to have the balcony, got 1 can of Cider 😜 We are both feeling quite gloomy about everything you’ve mentioned. Such a shame, princess isn’t sure what to do but the kitchen delivered us hot fresh dinners after we rejected the original. As normal the staff are amazing.

oh, yes there is bridge cam. And for the person asking about confinement, I’m on the ship.

Edited by Credit 00
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Normally, I can imagine how I would deal with a dead engine or a storm shortening/lengthening my trip, etc...

But to be told I have 14 more days of involuntary confinement to a 10x20 (or whatever they are) cell could easily turn me off cruising forever.   How do they come up with variety, etc to pass the days, on top of the constant worry that every little X or Y might be the first symptom... 

• Like 1