Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

will the US provide a plane to get the Americans home - then preform strict medical tests and additional time in quarantine if needed ?

There are recent numerous posts from a number of sources sources (NY Times, CNN, WSJ, etc.) on the Corona Virus thread stating:

About 380 people will be offered seats on two evacuation flights from Japan back to the United States. The evacuees will arrive in the United States as early as Sunday, the newspaper said, citing Henry Walke, director of the CDC's Division of Preparedness and Emerging Infections.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02/14/world/asia/14reuters-china-health-japan-ship.html

10 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Good summary here. Conditions are rapidly deteriorating on the ship according to an American doctor who is a pax on the ship. This apparently led to the planned evacuation.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/14/lawmakers-seek-evacuation-of-americans-from-cruise-ship-quarantined-over-coronavirus/

Also: The U.S. evacuees will likely arrive first at Travis Air Force Base in California, where they will undergo additional health screenings. Some may remain at Travis, where they will face a mandatory quarantine of up to 14 days, while others may be moved to Lackland Air Force Base in Texas for quarantine, according to The WSJ.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/15/national/us-citizen-evacuate-yokohama-coronavirus/#.Xkdx7RNKjPA

So another quarantine up to 14 days?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2020 at 7:22 AM, luckyinpa said:

http://crew-center.com/diamond-princess-crew-get-two-months-paid-time

are they normally paid those 2 months off. good deal!

In the shipping industry crew does not get vacation pay.  They sign on for a contract which may be defined in days, months or a voyage.

I knew someone who signed up for a voyage thinking it was only going to be a few months. His ship got rerouted and it and he ended away for over a year until it returned to home port. He ended up being quite pleased with that as he was domiciled in the UK and that meant he did not have to pay income tax for that year. On top of that the house he rented was put up for auction a few days after he returned home. He had enough cash from the voyage to be able to bid and buy it out right.

46 minutes ago, capriccio said:

There are recent numerous posts from a number of sources sources (NY Times, CNN, WSJ, etc.) on the Corona Virus thread stating:

About 380 people will be offered seats on two evacuation flights from Japan back to the United States. The evacuees will arrive in the United States as early as Sunday, the newspaper said, citing Henry Walke, director of the CDC's Division of Preparedness and Emerging Infections.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02/14/world/asia/14reuters-china-health-japan-ship.html

I understand that the US citizens previously evacuated from Wuhan had to pay $1,100 each for the flight. It is likely that those who chose to be evacuated from the Diamond Princess will also have to pay for the flight. Their alternative is to stay on the ship until they are released to take up Princess' offer of a free flight home.

• Like 1

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

I understand that the US citizens previously evacuated from Wuhan had to pay $1,100 each for the flight. It is likely that those who chose to be evacuated from the Diamond Princess will also have to pay for the flight. Their alternative is to stay on the ship until they are released to take up Princess' offer of a free flight home.

I assume Princess will pick up the cost for the passengers.  It would probably cost them more to have them fly on commercial flights.  

• Like 3

Thankfully, for the US passengers on board, there is a primary care doctor.  He has proven that sometimes it's what you know AND who you know. 

Interesting read about the behind-the-scenes of the evacuation decision.  No paywall on this one:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/14/escaping-the-coronavirus-petri-dish-doctor-lawmakers-seek-evacuations-from-quarantined-cruise-115143

• Like 1

Interestingly, the Hoplands are from the area where I grew up. All my family still lives there,

so I follow the local news stations

online. It’s been interesting to see how Congressman Roe - who’s also a physician - has played a role in bringing these folks home. You can read the local stories at wjhl.com. Here’s one:

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/congressman-roe-assisting-tri-cities-couple-on-quarantined-coronavirus-ship/

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The State Department, by law, cannot pay for evacuation flights and I wouldn't be surprised if that is true for other US government agencies including the CDC.  I haven't seen who will be paying but I'm sure someone will and that could very well be Princess. At this point I'm sure passengers are just eager to get back to the States and I doubt if the government is going to throw any barriers in their way (or at least I hope not).

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

https://japan2.usembassy.gov/pdfs/alert-20200215-diamond-princess.pdf

In any event the US people are undergoing another 14 day isolation in the US. 

Thanks for posting this. I've just started seeing this in the news reports this morning.

Matthew Smith gives his view to this on his twitter feed.

Cannot post link.

Edited by dog
  • Thanks 1

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/14/national/japan-clear-coronavirus-cruise-ship/#.XkepdaaIafA

Two interesting things from the article, first it appears what will happen on 2/19, when quarantine is ‘over’ isn’t yet clear.

Second, the positive case in Okinawa from Friday 2/14, was a taxi driver being monitored because she had contact with passengers from Diamond Princess when they ported in Naha on 2/1.

Edited to add - based on the post above it looks like plans for how to end the quarantine have firmed up.

Edited by sndral

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

https://japan2.usembassy.gov/pdfs/alert-20200215-diamond-princess.pdf

In any event the US people are undergoing another 14 day isolation in the US. 

That's not going to make them happy little vegemites! I suspect some of them thought they would be going straight home after arriving in the US.

But a wise precaution. Taking them off the ship and bundling them all on plane breaks the current quarantine so a second quarantine period is sensible.

• Like 2

After the 19th of course it’s probable there will still be new cases .. crew have been amongst the people who have been taken from ship and hospitalised.  They were not in quarantine.  
Perhaps when all passengers have left the ship the crew will then go into a 14 day quarantine period.  Who will take care of them?  

• Like 1

More positives of late. A total of 285 “onboard” now positive. Would likely include crew as well. 

I cannot imagine the angst when the “day” comes and goes and you are still on the ship. 

After the 19th of course it’s probable there will still be new cases .. crew have been amongst the people who have been taken from ship and hospitalised.  They were not in quarantine.  
Perhaps when all passengers have left the ship the crew will then go into a 14 day quarantine period.  Who will take care of them?  

The crew starts their isolation period when the last passenger has left. Can’t see Diamond being ready for a while. 

Edited by Pushka

Pretty smart move by the US government.

First they waited until the 14 days are almost up - so presuming the quarantine within the ship is at least mostly working most infected people will have been identified.

They then only take the remaining passengers as long as they look completely healthy and stick those in another 14 day quarantine, thus eliminating all risk.

6 hours ago, Just_Westy said:

This is quite good news and hopefully other governments will take their citizens off the ship as I don't see any other way to end the situation.  

Is it though? It has the positive effect of getting them off the ship and back to the US. But they thought they'd be done the 19th. Now they'll be quarantined until sometime in early March.

We've questioned whether the quarantine on the ship is 100% effective, but Japan, a modern country by anyone's definition, apparently feels it is good enough that after the 19th those passengers will be released to presumably go anywhere in Japan they want to. Why is the US not accepting that? One of the two countries is wrong. It's either safe to let them be exposed to the general public on February 19th, or it's not.

Unless come February 19th Japan announces some further quarantine of course, which wouldn't shock any of us.

Or unless you meant it was good news from a world health perspective, rather than a ship passenger perspective.

Edited by Earthworm Jim