Worried About the Worst

CodyMiles1994

We are going on a cruise again in a couple months on the Carnival Sunshine, a vacation I love taking & a ship I love being on, I thought I was going to be ok, but I'm not apparently.

Yesterday we made final payment, so I should be excited right? Not really.

The last time we took a cruise, we were on the Sunshine & the ballast went out one night (Halloween Cruise 2018) & we tipped so far I nearly was flung out of our room onto the balcony & we were very close to sinking, our side of the ship going into the water. 

I had no issue continuing on that cruise, ***** happens & we were safe. We drive cars daily when people die/crashes happen so going again should be ok.

But this morning going to work I broke down. What if if happens again? What if this time when it happens I'm nowhere near my wife to keep her safe. What if we do start to sink & we're apart, how do I know she gets out?

I can't stop thinking about the worst.

• Like 1

sounds like you have a bit of PTSD! I can't imagine how scary that was! I've seen some videos out there with that happening! Maybe someone that has experienced similar and has sailed again with offer some wise words! I know this may sound stupid, but there's an old saying, "when you fall off the bike, get right back on" Maybe just confront your fears?  Although a cruise is a LOT more expensive!!  I wish you well in whatever decision you make!! 

12 minutes ago, CodyMiles1994 said:

The last time we took a cruise, we were on the Sunshine & the ballast went out one night (Halloween Cruise 2018) & we tipped so far I nearly was flung out of our room onto the balcony & we were very close to sinking, our side of the ship going into the water. 

The accident occurred during a 5-day Eastern Caribbean cruise (Oct 28 - Nov 2nd 2018) roundtrip from Port Canaveral to Amber Cove and Grand Turk.

Due to a technical issue (fin stabilizer), the ship experienced severe listing, resulting in terrified passengers and broken furniture. According to the Captain, stabilizers' malfunction was caused by an electrical switchboard issue.

You mentioned that you can't stop thinking of the worst. It clearly sounds as if you're looking for either reassurance or a way out after the ship listing scare you experienced. Do you have travel insurance????  You just made final payment yesterday.  I'm not gonna beat around the bush, contact Carnival & start working on your refund now. Don't wait....

✌️

• Like 1

I won't try to advise on the psychological or emotional problems caused by this incident, but I will make some comments about the facts.  I cannot find any reports of the actual angle of list that the vessel experienced, and I really have my doubts about the "fin stabilizer" cause given by Carnival.  These types of listing incidents, while at sea are caused by a large change in course while at high speed, where the ship leans outwards from the direction of the turn, called "turn induced heeling".  A stabilizer does not have enough power to create a considerable list.  Now, to the OP's fears, you were never "very close to sinking", despite the panic onboard, and the dishes and furniture sliding all around, and people being thrown off their feet.  A ship with intact stability (meaning there are no holes in the hull causing flooding), is virtually impossible to roll over, especially from forces generated by the ship, and even if the ship rolled to around 30* (and it may have, I've seen turn induced heeling go this far on a cruise ship I was on), the ship will naturally right itself.  Scary, yes, life threatening, no.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

In my opinion there are three ways to deal with the aftermath of a traumatic experience:

1) Force yourself to get over the fear and just do it.  This worked for me when learning to ride horses, I had my horse refuse a jump, went over it's head and busted through 2 jumps head first, shattered my helmet and put a gash on my arm.  My instructor forced me to get back on and make the horse do that jump.  I am pretty sure if I hadn't done that I would have quit.

2) Avoid that situation going forward.  If you are so stressed you can't push yourself to be back in that situation, don't do it.  There is no harm or shame in not doing some optional recreational activity.

3) Go to Therapy to work it out.  Too many people feel that therapy is a stigma and a crutch.  But in truth it can be a huge help to come to a rational decision and reduce levels of fear and anxiety.

No matter which path you choose, i wish you well.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CodyMiles1994 said:

We are going on a cruise again in a couple months on the Carnival Sunshine, a vacation I love taking & a ship I love being on, I thought I was going to be ok, but I'm not apparently.

I had no issue continuing on that cruise, ***** happens & we were safe. We drive cars daily when people die/crashes happen so going again should be ok.

But this morning going to work I broke down. What if if happens again? What if this time when it happens I'm nowhere near my wife to keep her safe. What if we do start to sink & we're apart, how do I know she gets out?

Do you worry the same way each time you get behind the wheel? If the answer is no  then go on the cruise enjoy and don’t worry about what could happen. We had a problem a few years ago, though not as bad as you ship listing. Coming back from Alaska on the Miracle we passed adjacent to Portland Or. and lost complete power. Floated around the Pacific for about 45 minutes then power was restored. 

I am a very nervous traveller and I went to therapy for my anxiety (I have a brain thing so can't take meds)

I found it really worked and can't recommend it enough. It didn't cure me completely, but he taught me techniques to calm myself. It has reduced my stress greatly.

On the whole travelling is a much better experience now. 🙂

• Like 3

That sounds like a very traumatic experience and I can understand the anxiety. I think therapy is a great suggestion. If that's not something you are interested in doing, maybe taking some time each day to imagine yourself getting on the ship and having a good time. Replace the negative thoughts with positive ones. Read recent reviews to see that everything was fine. Watch YouTube videos of the ship and cruises.

Allow the anxious feelings to pass and focus on having a positive experience. Maybe a self help book dealing with fears would be helpful. Good luck. I hope you can go on the cruise and relax. Fear can be all consuming if we let it.

• Like 1

We were on the Sunshine back in 2015 and a similar thing happened, although not nearly as bad it seems. We were in a rough storm and the boat listed to one side for several minutes. It was the only time and ship that’s happened to me before on.

If you are truly frightened, then cancel. If you call Carnival and voice your concerns they will help you move to another ship/sailing. I personally think you should still go. The chances of that happening again are very low and I’m willing to bet you are now more prepared in the event it does. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I think the memory is still very much there and (having read other reports about that incident you went through)  I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been.  

I think perhaps just being on a different ship would help a lot.   Just knowing that whatever issue your  ship encountered that day is now even further away as a possibility would be helpful.  

Do also keep in mind just how many cruise ships are out there and how many sail peacefully and calmly each and every day all over the world.    Not discounting what you went through at all, but I do think that being on that very same ship for your first time since might not be helpful and would still cause you worry.  After all, this is about your vacation and you paid a good amount of $$ for it, so there should be no stress or worry anywhere around you.    I wish you smooth sailing regardless!

Edited by F27TW

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I won't try to advise on the psychological or emotional problems caused by this incident, but I will make some comments about the facts.  I cannot find any reports of the actual angle of list that the vessel experienced, and I really have my doubts about the "fin stabilizer" cause given by Carnival.  These types of listing incidents, while at sea are caused by a large change in course while at high speed, where the ship leans outwards from the direction of the turn, called "turn induced heeling".  A stabilizer does not have enough power to create a considerable list.  Now, to the OP's fears, you were never "very close to sinking", despite the panic onboard, and the dishes and furniture sliding all around, and people being thrown off their feet.  A ship with intact stability (meaning there are no holes in the hull causing flooding), is virtually impossible to roll over, especially from forces generated by the ship, and even if the ship rolled to around 30* (and it may have, I've seen turn induced heeling go this far on a cruise ship I was on), the ship will naturally right itself.  Scary, yes, life threatening, no.

This is how I would look at it. I doubt very much that the ship was actually close to sinking or that you were in any real danger outside of falling objects. Only you can decide if rationally realizing that relieves any of this stress you are feeling. I wasn't on that situation but I was on a NCL ship when there was some kind of any issue. No idea what it was, they made a brief announcement and said something about the stabilizers. It was likely less dramatic because there wasn't any furniture flying. But the ship did suddenly list to one side in very noticable way. These things happen and it could happen again. You can either do the studying to understand the physics for why the ship isn't going to sink from this accept that the captain has no intention of letting the ship sink and you will just have to trust him on that. Same as when you get on a plane. And  yes, I do realize ships have sunk, but you can't live you life assuming that one in a million will be you. If you do, then blow your life savings playing the lottery.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, F27TW said:

I see your point.   I prefer to curse and drink.   Whatever works, right?  😉

Hmmm, curse, drink and pray? The trifecta to me.

To the OP, I can’t imagine what you went through and I’m not going to tell you how to deal with it. That would be silly of me to do.

But you raised a great analogy with a car. Lots of people get in accidents. And it can be very traumatic. But they drive again. Now, a huge difference is that driving is something you may need to do while cruising isn’t. 

I look at it this way: when was the last time a cruise ship had an accident where people were killed? The Concordia? So, as long as the captain doesn’t have a girl he wants to impress, I’m guessing you’ll be fine.

4 hours ago, CodyMiles1994 said:

At the end of the day, only you can decide what the right thing to do is.  I sincerely doubt anything said here will really change your mind.  I hope you make the right decision.  Happy cruising

I recommend you reconsider your upcoming cruise. No one wants you to worry or feel uncomfortable for you or your family. Play it safe and you’ll be fine.  Oh, I do recommend that you at least take into consideration chengkp75’s advice on the mechanics of a cruise ship before you make your final decision. 

-Snowflake

Edited by 4hunters

Hi there. I love cruises, as they stay relatively close to sea level...but I am terrified of flying. I used to love it, but a bad experience has left me pretty panic-stricken for most of every flight. Like, three-Xanax-and-still-crying-and-in-the-fetal-position panic-stricken. 

I wish I was different. I wish I wasn’t afraid. I adore planes and travel...but I’m not. Will I get on a plane to go somewhere? Yes. Will so much cortisol go through me that I struggle sleeping for days? Yes. 

I am a researcher- I research everything, hence why I found CC- and I know all the stats, sounds, and skills of planes, air travel, and pilots. I know turbulence isn’t really a big deal. I know the plane can be a giant glider if the engines go out.  I know.

And yet. 

If it’s just the sunshine, book another ship. If it’s cruises in general...seek some therapy to help with the PTSD (yep, that’s what it is) and have a different type of vacation until you do. 

The chances of it happening again- to you- are slim and nearly none. FWIW, a friend and his wife were on the Costa Concordia and did not die. But when panic sets in, it’s hard to get your brain to listen to facts. 

Praying for you.