RCL Stock

heidikay

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

That all changed last June 1'st.  The stock OBC is now basically combinable with everything for cruises booked after June 1 2019

Thanks. I saw the 2019 date but didn't know about the changes. Is it combinable with C&A balcony discounts?

We bought the stock a long time ago to get the OBC and rode it up (now down), for us it's a long term hold.  It could end up badly.

For the OBC, we did hit a few instances where we could not combine it - then worse, when we tried to get the (larger) OBC in place of the (smaller) discount we had in another offer we were told the prior combined offer was no longer available and to get the shareholder OBC we would need to re-book (and pay net more).

The policy was rationalized in 2019 and we got the (higher) OBC on our last sailing in December which was booked after the new policy was instituted.  Sadly we have a 26 day back-to-back coming up in May which was booked far in advance and they are still denying us the (higher) shareholder OBC.

Still... we've been shareholders almost all along our path to making Diamond last December so the OBC we could get over time is not nothing.

Was able to get the shareholders credit for the first time in a decade on our Allure cruise in January.  We booked in June (when they changed the rules without me knowing) and got the credit. We have a TA on the Anthem in November we booked 6 month earlier and are unable to get the credit.

Biker, sometimes individual stock buys are good.  In 1987 we bought a thousand dollars worth of a local savings and loan in Chapel Hill when I was still in grad school, we could have bought a lot more, that became what we have now, which is worth about 90K.  I am going to cash it in when I retire and buy something really nice. 😉

JC

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

Put options on the way down, stock purchase at the bottom, and call options on the way up. Just got to time it correctly. 

The problem with options for most people is that you can lose more than you invested, which really freaks most people out.

just sayin...

jc

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

The problem with options for most people is that you can lose more than you invested, which really freaks most people out.

just sayin...

jc

BUYING call and put options the maximum you can lose is your initial investment. It is impossible to lose more than you invested. Your options are either in the money and you profit, at the money so zero profit/loss, or out of the money and the most you can lose is your initial investment. I bought a put contract on Carnival this morning and at one point today doubled my money. I'm holding to increase my gains.

Options are not for everyone. Do not take this as investment advice but I see a long decline for cruise line stock prices before they go back up.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. increased its estimated impact from coronavirus to 90 cents per share from 65 cents previously.

If the company were to cancel all its remaining sailings in Asia through the end of April, there would be an additional 30-cent per share impact on full year earnings.

30 sailings canceled to date

Royal Caribbean has canceled 30 sailings in Southeast Asia, up from 18 on Feb. 13, its previous update, and modified several itineraries in the region.

‘There are still too many variables and uncertainties regarding the impact of this outbreak on our business in Asia and elsewhere to reasonably forecast the full impact on our business, including what our yields and earnings for 2020 will be,’ the company said in a filing Tuesday. ‘These concerns and restrictions over the outbreak are impacting our bookings and are having, and are likely to continue to have, a material impact on our overall financial performance.’

Adverse impacts include ‘a drop in demand for cruises, guest cancellations, travel restrictions, an unavailability of ports and/or destinations, cruise cancellations, ship redeployments and an inability to source our crew, provisions or supplies from certain places.

Spread to Italy 'disconcerting'

‘Royal’s stock is already down 33% year-to-date on concerns related to the coronavirus impact, which we remain hopeful will prove to be a transitory issue,’ analyst Sharon Zackfia of William Blair said in a note. ‘While the current outbreak is unique and the spread to Italy is disconcerting as it could impact another key cruise market, we view the risk/reward profile as favorable for Royal’s shares at current levels given an already depressed price to earnings multiple of nine times our new 2020 estimate.’

Comparison to Costa Concordia impact

For perspective, Zackfia said RCL’s stock valuation bottomed at roughly eight times forward earnings after the Costa Concordia incident then rose about 50% in the subsequent year.

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

History says that over the long term, overall, passive investing is best.

Biker, likes his chances with passive investing.

Unfortunately, for me, I am like you Biker, I mostly invest thru my 401K.  I only wish I had put everything I owned in that small savings & loan when they did the Initial stock offering.  Minimum of 100 shares at $10 per share.  Which is what I did.  If I had slid everything I could have gotten my hands on into that stock, I would not still be working 33 years later....

jc

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I only wish I had put everything I owned in that small savings & loan when they did the Initial stock offering.

But it could also have gone bust and lost everything.

Biker, who no longer works for the money.

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

But it could also have gone bust and lost everything.

Biker, who no longer works for the money.

It was an obviously safe investment, I knew would not lose money, but I had zero expectation that they would get acquired by a huge bank and it became stupid lucrative.

Rubbing it in is not nice.😂

jc

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

It was an obviously safe investment, I knew would not lose money, but I had zero expectation that they would get acquired by a huge bank and it became stupid lucrative.

Rubbing it in is not nice.😂

jc

The savings and loan crisis of the 1980s and 1990s (commonly dubbed the S&L crisis) was the failure of 1,043 out of the 3,234 savings and loan associations in the United States from 1986 to 1995: the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation (FSLIC) closed or otherwise resolved 296 institutions from 1986 to 1989 and the Resolution Trust Corporation (RTC) closed or otherwise resolved 747 institutions from 1989 to 1995.[1]

If we purchase 100 shares, this would qualify us to get $100obc...right?

(June/2019 or after bookings.)

Does this mean we can apply for and get $100 for EVERY sailing?

So if we had a B2B, can we get $100 for each sailing?

Is this the same for B3B?

Guessing there must be some restrictions to the number of $100 obc you can apply for.

Thank you.

58 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

If we purchase 100 shares, this would qualify us to get $100obc...right?

(June/2019 or after bookings.)

Does this mean we can apply for and get $100 for EVERY sailing?

So if we had a B2B, can we get $100 for each sailing?

Is this the same for B3B?

Guessing there must be some restrictions to the number of $100 obc you can apply for.

Thank you.

https://www.rclinvestor.com/faqs/shareholder-benefit/