Carnival Stock Price Dropping

Daniel A

On 2/27/2020 at 10:39 AM, IPB4IGO said:

At this moment, CCL is  at 32.37. I bought our 100 shares in July 2011 for 34.75. Not exactly a growth stock!

That may be true, but it has spent a lot of time above $50 and surpassed $70 in the last few years as well.  You could have definitely sold it for a profit had you chosen.  I have been tracking it for some time and finally purchased today at just under $33.

• Like 1

ONE year ago CCL was 58.68......5 year high was 72.   Not a bad return if you bought in at low 30's plus got dividends and OBC.

What will it be one year or five years from now?  Nobody knows but I am betting it will be well above the low 30s.

52-wk high 58.68
52-wk low 30.19
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, dockman said:

ONE year ago CCL was 58.68......5 year high was 72.   Not a bad return if you bought in at low 30's plus got dividends and OBC.

What will it be one year or five years from now?  Nobody knows but I am betting it will be well above the low 30s.

52-wk high 58.68
52-wk low 30.19

in the same time that CCL doubled, the S&P 500 tripled. So if one is doing it as an investment there are better places to put your money. Cruise line stocks are a lot like airline stocks. lots of ups and downs.

the last few years have been kind of a golden age for cruise lines. Low interest rates, low fuel costs, good demand to fuel major expansion.

much better than historical norms.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

I bought in Oct 2010 at about $39.

If I cashed in today - I'd have "lost" $540 but I've had my dividends and $850 in OBC.

I'll be keeping an eye on it and if it drops lower - I might try to buy another 100... and once it comes back to $39 then sell the original shares without capital gains.

24 minutes ago, npcl said:

in the same time that CCL doubled, the S&P 500 tripled. So if one is doing it as an investment there are better places to put your money. Cruise line stocks are a lot like airline stocks. lots of ups and downs.

the last few years have been kind of a golden age for cruise lines. Low interest rates, low fuel costs, good demand to fuel major expansion.

much better than historical norms.

not sure where u got figures that show s & p tripled...per my charts is was 2000 in 2015 and five year high was about 3300....that is not double or triple...maybe i am looking at wrong charts?

ok i was looking at s & p index fund...so i guess that is different?

Edited by dockman

3 minutes ago, dockman said:

not sure where u got figures that show s & p tripled...per my charts is was 2000 in 2015 and five year high was about 3300....that is not double or triple...maybe i am looking at wrong charts?

2011 to peak  in 2019. has gone up and down quite a bit in that time.

Regardless of what happens to the price, I am a long term holder.  What goes down, will recover, eventually. 

If one buys a quality company, one ought to be able to sleep well at night regardless of what Wall Street does. 

The question I have is:  when/if to buy more and when.

This is not IMO a tradeable stock in my portfolio. We bought it years ago <$30 with the intention of using the OBC. Over the years (600+ sailing days) we’ve earned way more in OBC than we spent. Almost $1000 for this upcoming year alone. If you are retired or nearing retirement so you have more opportunity to take longer cruises this is great!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

Well, I finally took the plunge and picked up some 300 shares.

We are also thinking of buying, just curious if you have 300 shares do you get triple the OBC per cruise, or just the regular OBC and the rest of the shares is just for investment purposes.

43 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

if you have 300 shares do you get triple the OBC per cruise

No, the benefit is payable for a minimum holding of 100 shares.  Only one benefit per share holding no matter the size of the holding.

37 minutes ago, jacksonx said:

No reason to think it won't drop further. Hold off buying!

If it drops off too much further, they'll probably suspend the Stockholder's OBC and dividends.  So why buy it at that point?

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jacksonx said:

Well then, why buy it now?

Too much uncertainty.  

The CCL Conference Call for the financial community will be coming and can be heard online.  (At least, I have been able to do so in the past.)  I checked the CCL website and don't see the time of that Call.  Interested in an investment in CCL?  That ought to be a Call one ought not to miss.

$27.63 in premarket trade this am. Wondering how low it will go. I keep thinking of adding to my current 116 shares(100 plus reinvested dividends), but then things get worse and it drops again. I would expect a dividend cut. No way CCL can sustain a 7.2% dividend. This whole virus is a nightmare for everyone. Can't even imagine running a cruise line now. And now another Princess ship is being tested for the virus. Hoping it all subdues sooner than later. We cancelled three cruises last year due to health, and now we are ready to go, but we have Corona to deal with. 

Edited by wesport
spell

On 2/27/2020 at 1:20 PM, npcl said:

For the first time in 11 years I am not holding any CCL stock in my portfolio.  Sold late last week.  Will buy back in once there is some clarification in how bad this might get this year. Current indications are that it will get much worse before it gets better. If it follow cold-flu season type patterns then will probably buy back in a couple of months.  If infection spreads throughout the summer then it could be a very very bad year for cruises.  The problem at this time is a few canceled cruise, plus some closed ports.  If you see additional spread in Europe then the European summer season could easily be a risk.

We are in the same state, but for us its been over 15 years. We bailed on our CCL & RCL just as the market turned south last week. As we already have our OBC credited for our August Cruise, we don't need to hold any until sometime later this year for our 2021 cruises. Going to watch and pick up shares of both once we bounced off the bottom of this market. 

On 2/28/2020 at 7:59 PM, VermeulT said:

I bought in Oct 2010 at about $39.

If I cashed in today - I'd have "lost" $540 but I've had my dividends and $850 in OBC.

I'll be keeping an eye on it and if it drops lower - I might try to buy another 100... and once it comes back to $39 then sell the original shares without capital gains.

My financial advisor is thinking of doing something similar now that we are doing my yearly RMD calculations and manuevers.

On 2/28/2020 at 8:14 PM, dockman said:

ok i was looking at s & p index fund...so i guess that is different?

You are correct the S&P has not tripled in the past five years.  The other poster was probably referring to the bottom of the market that was seen in late 2008.  The S&P has tripled since that point.  Carnival bottomed out at about $15.  Of course if you wanted the real cruise stock steal of the century RCL (Royal Caribbean) was at $6 a share at that point and even though it to is currently down from its high of $135 you could still sell today at about an 1100% profit plus have earned dividends.    

On 2/28/2020 at 8:20 PM, npcl said:

2011 to peak  in 2019. has gone up and down quite a bit in that time.

According to one financial expert, the actual annual increase of the S&P has been about about 5.9.  I don't think that computes to tripling in five years.

4 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

According to one financial expert, the actual annual increase of the S&P has been about about 5.9.  I don't think that computes to tripling in five years.

I should have said that the average annual increase has reportedly been about 5.9%.

Questions from a newbie who had never heard of OBC for stock owners before:

1. How much OBC do you get per cruise if you own 100 shares?

2. How do you prove you own the stock so that you get the credit?

3. Can you get double credit by owning 100 shares in your own name and 100 more shares in your spouse's name?

Thanks!