Inside the mega cruise ships

DarrenM

Was a documentary on the TV last night in the UK.

They showed a lot of the behind the scenes stuff on board MSC Seaside.

Now this was described as one of the worlds largest mega ships, but when I looked online, its actually the 22nd largest.

What did strike me though was just how many people they cram onto this ship.

Cattle market springs to mind.

I really couldnt think of anything worse than being on board this ship at a busy time.

They even had a clothes market where people were fighting over tonnes of cheap gear.

Downmarket doesnt do it justice.

One I will be avoiding.

Interesting programme though, especially on the bridge and in the engine room.

I was on the Seaside for two weeks and agree with the comments of the op. The pool areas were so packed that it was difficult to just walk around all the loungers and the pools looked like people soup. The  evenings and sea days are so crowded, especially with the impact of so many young children in big strollers. 

The Effy manager kept interrupting the entertainers in the Piazza lounge to announce sales. This lounge was one of the three dance floors that people had to also use as a walkway. l

The typical positive comment is that it is a lovely ship, but then reviews tend to go down from there.

Edited by Markanddonna

We were aboard for two weeks in January.  It is twice the size of ships we usually sail.  It did not feel especially crowded, although I can't comment on pool deck, as that is something we rarely go to.  We always found a table in the buffet, we were always able to stroll through music venues in the evening, etc.  It felt about the same as the smaller ships we're used to.  

We liked it so much that we came home and booked two more MSC cruises.

However, we have no interest in some of the other mega ships with interior promenades, ice rinks, etc.

We're just off the Symphony of the Seas which is advertised as the largest ship on the oceans. 5,500 people!! Having said that the only time it really felt busy was when the shows finished and people flooded into the Royal Promenade.  We never had a problem with finding somewhere to sit for breakfast and lunch and were always able to get our first choice dining time of 7.30   We didn't go on to the pool area until late afternoon preferring the solarium and again always managed to find a lounger.

Maybe we were just lucky?

• Like 1

I would venture to say that the majority of cruisers here roll their eyes when they hear about the doom and gloom of overcrowded ships. That mostly comes from people who have never sailed, or made up their mind before they even gave it a chance.

I can go to any resort, and have a problem finding a good chair by the pool at peak time. It's no different. I just wouldn't be as "informed" as knowing cruises hold thousands.

• Like 3

It is true that, using as example, the Oasis class ships on RCI are the largest cruise ships afloat with the highest amount of passenger capacity of any cruise ship today.  But what is also true of these ships is that they also have a large number of diverse venues and big areas to balance the passenger load throughout the ships. Everything is to scale relative to size and passenger capacity.

And it is true that during certain times, such as the dinner hours, large amount of people will congregate near the MDR either entering or exiting the venue.  But that is true of any ship relative to its size and passenger load.  My point is we have felt far less crowded at any given time on the Oasis class ships than on several of their smaller ship classes as a result of the well designed venues and passenger balance relative to ship size.

I also agree that many of the perceptions regarding size and passenger load of the larger ships are often held by those who have never experienced cruising on them. I will also suggest that some cruise lines handle the passenger load better than others, and my comments are only base on RCCL (and Celebrity), on which over my 28 years of cruising, I have been on several ships in every ship class currently in service with both from which I base my comments. 

But certainly that doesn't mean that these larger ships are for everyone and not everyone will have the same experience with them.  Nor does it mean that everyone should try one - that is why there are ships of all sizes and cruising styles offered.  But to provide an accurate comment about them would only come from direct experience on one.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Cruise experiences can vary from one sailing to the next.  When we sailed the Seaside, it rarely felt crowded,  but it just seemed enormous. Got lots of exercise walking from one end of the ship to the other.

We also sailed the Symphony of the Seas this January, and again, we found very few lines.  The only bad part was when we had pre-reserved theater seats, and others were saving seats (a no-no) for their friends and family on the non-reserved line.

The buffets were well laid out, and it was easy to get breakfast and lunch foods although sometimes it was difficult to find a table at high volume times.

We have sailed many ships half their size and pax volume which have felt much more crowded than these mega ships.  It seems the larger ships have so many different offerings and venues that crowd dispersal occurs naturally.  We found that the crowded areas on the mega ships like buffet tables were also crowded on smaller ships but without the wait at  food lines.

If folk are off zip lining, riding slides, ice skating, riding bumper cars, playing pickleball and rock climbing etc., that means there are that many less pax in other areas and the crowd density is more laid out.

JMO, YMMV.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

I would have liked to have seen that show. 

Me too.  And in support of the OP's comments, I have also heard that relative to size, the passenger density on that particular ship is pretty high.  But also in fairness, when RCI has their "sales" in the Royal Promenade, it can get pretty crowded and "aggressive". 😉

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

Me too.  And in support of the OP's comments, I have also heard that relative to size, the passenger density on that particular ship is pretty high.  But also in fairness, when RCI has their "sales" in the Royal Promenade, it can get pretty crowded and "aggressive". 😉

Elbows flying, pushing, grabbing by discount seekers, watch out!

8 hours ago, DarrenM said:

What did strike me though was just how many people they cram onto this ship.

Cattle market springs to mind.

That's what a lot of people said about Oasis when in fact, it's one of the least crowded ship classes I've cruised.  

Carnival Mardi Gras on the other hand, with a ratio in the 20s, no thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I was on the Seaside for two weeks and agree with the comments of the op. The pool areas were so packed that it was difficult to just walk around all the loungers and the pools looked like people soup. The  evenings and sea days are so crowded, especially with the impact of so many young children in big strollers. 

The Effy manager kept interrupting the entertainers in the Piazza lounge to announce sales. This lounge was one of the three dance floors that people had to also use as a walkway. l

The typical positive comment is that it is a lovely ship, but then reviews tend to go down from there.

May want to update your signature to show the MSC Seaside and when you sailed on it.  Was it during a school holiday or summer?  We didn't see many kids on our sailing, but every sail date has a different blend of demographics.

I think the weather plays a big part as to whether the ship feels crowded, having been on one vast ship where most of the attractions were on the outside decks, but couldn't be used because of high winds, rain and even a little snow.... And yes, the inside of the ship was very overcrowded.

We also watched the Symphony OTS sail out of Barcelona on her first cruise, into enormous gales, and although the reviews were good, we did wonder how it was inside during the next few days- we followed her round the Med in an older, smaller ship and weren't able to be out on deck very much.

7 hours ago, davekathy said:

I would have liked to have seen that show. 

It was genuinely interesting. How they removed waste, food and human, the shifts on the bridge, how the motors worked, the back of house secret walkways etc. Really interesting.

I wasnt critising MSC generally, but the preception anyone would have got from this ship was not great. Maybe it was just the pool area, but it seemed horrendous. And the sales was like something on Black Friday.

• Like 1

I'd be thrilled to go on another Oasis-class ship. Despite her size and the number of guests onboard, the only time I felt the crowds was upon embarkation. Small inconvenience for such a magnificent ship. They really do an excellent job of dispersing the crowds. 

I'd be interested to see that show. MSC is not a line I've been on. 

Edited by wampuscat7

20 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Lots of kids were on the Feb 15th sailing. Most were school age. The week before lots of babies and preschoolers. The sailing on Feb 15th had MANY children of all ages. 

I think any ship would have been overrun by kids that week as numerous states use it for a winter recess or presidents day holiday.  Sorry you had to deal with it.

Seaside was least crowded ship I ever was on , at least the Yacht club on seaside was, never more than a few people in there private pool , never issue getting table, lounge was great and always found a table by piano. Did attend a few things outside of YC to listen to music etc and it wasn't that bad. Always nice to have a butler also.

1 hour ago, George C said:

Seaside was least crowded ship I ever was on , at least the Yacht club on seaside was, never more than a few people in there private pool , never issue getting table, lounge was great and always found a table by piano. Did attend a few things outside of YC to listen to music etc and it wasn't that bad. Always nice to have a butler also.

Hardly apples to apples.  As this is their top level suite program and is a separate area altogether from the rest of the ship, as Markanddonna suggests, it really isn't a fair comparison at all.  Yacht Club, as a "ship within a ship," is specifically designed to be exclusive and private as only 86 of 2066 total staterooms are included there.  The other 96% of the ship and it's passengers are the basis for the OP's discussion. 

Kind of like saying that first class was fine when someone complained about their seats when flying basic economy on an international flight.  Of course it would be! 😉

Edited by leaveitallbehind

10 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Hardly apples to apples.  As this is their top level suite program and is a separate area altogether from the rest of the ship, as Markanddonna suggests, it really isn't a fair comparison at all.  Yacht Club, as a "ship within a ship," is specifically designed to be exclusive and private as only 86 of 2066 total staterooms are included there.  The other 96% of the ship and it's passengers are the basis for the OP's discussion. 

Kind of like saying that first class was fine when someone complained about their seats when flying basic economy on an international flight.  Of course it would be! 😉

Strangely this documentary didnt venture into the privileged and pampered part of the ship.

There again this programmes target audience in the uk probably couldn't afford it so would just be put off.

A black friday style jumble sail on the other hand............

1 minute ago, George C said:

Yacht club inside cabins were about 1500 per person for a week, which is in many people’s price range. Not bad deal since premium drink package is included. 

Which is still typically about double other lines standard inside staterooms - and about on par with a balcony.  Even with a drink package included (and YC benefits), IMO that is still a lot to pay for an inside stateroom.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Which is still typically about double other lines standard inside staterooms - and about on par with a balcony.  Even with a drink package included (and YC benefits), IMO that is still a lot to pay for an inside stateroom.

While we did more than our share of inside rooms, with price of drink packages going well over 400 a week it is getting close. Really liked msc ten percent discount to veterans and some other occupations. 

8 minutes ago, George C said:

While we did more than our share of inside rooms, with price of drink packages going well over 400 a week it is getting close. Really liked msc ten percent discount to veterans and some other occupations. 

Agree with their discount policy - most others have similar discounts but on varying itineraries.  At least for military IMO they all should offer it on every cruise.