Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

35 minutes ago, arabrab said:

Confirmation that ALL current GP passengers have been ordered to stay in their rooms. Test results expected Friday morning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/05/coronavirus-live-updates/#link-JJOY5YDLCVF45OKSUDYNAZCFIQ

But the meals being delivered to their rooms are still being prepared, and delivered, by the same crew that sailed with the infected passengers on the last cruise. Really can't see the point in that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, debsjc said:

But the meals being delivered to their rooms are still being prepared, and delivered, by the same crew that sailed with the infected passengers on the last cruise. Really can't see the point in that. 

I suspect that all the symptomatic crew are already quarantined...so for now, it would be the asymptomatic group doing the work.

And having learned from the last ship, I suspect they are taking more precautions, including probably full protective gear in the cook/prep area...

Again, in a bad situation, you mitigate, not eliminate...95% solutions are sometimes all you have...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

This has hit way too close to home for us.  We were on the Grand princess to Hawaii January 27- February 11th.   There were so many crew members I talked to that were slated to go home sometime in March.   A sweet girl that worked in the Piazzo is pregnant and was heading home in March on maternity leave.  They will all have to stay on and be quarantined the way things are looking.  

• Like 1

I see from the ladies video, that the decision to confine passengers to their cabins came from the CDC, not from Princess. I don't think Princess would have made such an illogical decision.

7 hours ago, joepeka said:

Put me down as skeptical of this notion that Princess had anything to do with the "On the Grand" thread being deleted. The cruise lines do purchase advertising space on this web site but as far as Princess "sponsoring" this forum, well, right now there are a couple of items above advertising a "Win a 7 Night Cruise on Royal Caribbean...." and I don't believe Princess would stand for that if they truly had influence with CC over this forum and it's contents.

If anyone wants to know why that thread has disappeared, just email the forum moderators and ask (community@cruisecritic.com). When I've done that in the past, I've always gotten fairly prompt and reasonable responses.

The "On The Grand" thread was combined in here.  The original post there was the picture of the letter, lying on their sheets (at least that is where it looked like it was placed).  I know because I was the second comment on that thread and my comment is two under that post.  I'm sorry I don't remember what the post number was, but it's on page 6 or 7 of this one, I believe.  

EDIT - I found it!  The Original "On The Grand" post is #85 here on page 4 - my reply to that post is #88.  Post #86 on this thread is from one of the mods, who I think might have been the one to place the "On The Grand" thread within this one.  I am probably wrong.  

Edited by Mibele
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, bateau4 said:

CBC is reporting that a Peel Ontario man who was on the Feb 11 sailing tested positive for COVID-19:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-confirms-3-new-cases-coronavirus-1.5486670

Thanks for posting that, that’s the 4th person from our Mexico cruise to test positive....we  are  approaching our 14th day tomorrow and are feeling fine.  I hope no more cases come up and everyone stays well.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CruisinCindy said:

Thanks for posting that, that’s the 4th person from our Mexico cruise to test positive....we  are  approaching our 14th day tomorrow and are feeling fine.  I hope no more cases come up and everyone stays well.

I know it's already been 2 weeks since your cruise but do you remember anything unusual about the cruise? Were there more coughs & sneezes than usual? Any medical emergencies?

Also if you mind sharing, did you try to avoid ppl that were sneezing or coughing? Did you attend shows, eat in the main dining room and cruise as normal? Do you two use hand sanitizer and wash hands often?

I only ask if it's confirmed that corona virus is on the ship, I wonder how you stayed clear. Thank God you did though. Glad you're safe.

Edited by flyguyjake

Couple of quick things going forward:

• Please keep this discussion cruise related
  • Pleasure ensure that you do not copy and paste entire articles from other sites...instead select a key paragraph (usually the first) and LINK TO the article
  • Keep things polite

The community team will be following this discussion closely, and will remove any posts without notice to the author.

Thank you for your cooperation

LauraS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arabrab said:

Confirmation that ALL current GP passengers have been ordered to stay in their rooms. Test results expected Friday morning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/05/coronavirus-live-updates/#link-JJOY5YDLCVF45OKSUDYNAZCFIQ

yep that is what the chicken ladies say. They don't have any masks. crew will do meal prep just like Diamond even though many of them probably have it...this seems like ground hog day!!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

I know it's already been 2 weeks since your cruise but do you remember anything unusual about the cruise? Were there more coughs & sneezes than usual? Any medical emergencies?

You know, after over 30 cruises, my husband and I are very conscious of the cruise coughs and following sanitary practices.  On this cruise, it seemed like more people than in the past, were complying with the staff's reminders to wash their hands, especially at the sinks by the Horizon Court.  We used to see people just walk by and ignore the staff.  Not this time, either due to increased health consciousness or peer pressure, most people washed their hands and used the Purell.  We actually noticed that there weren't many coughs or sneezes, or people hacking away.  We usually see it more during the last days of the cruise, but not this time.  We thought maybe all the precautions had helped more people stay healthy.  But for this virus, as we know from Diamond Princess, it only takes 1 person to bring it onboard... No medical emergencies that I recall.

EDIT:  I just noticed you added questions to your post:  Yes, we attended everything as normal, theater shows, ate in the MDR every night (but we had a table for 2 that had a little breathing room around it).  We did try to avoid people who coughed or sneezed near us, just by leaving the area when it happened.  We washed our hands every time we returned to our cabin, without fail, as well as any public restroom stop or entering any dining area or theater venue.   When I went to the gym, I used the available sanitary wipes and towels to wipe handrails of the equipment as well as washing hands after I was done exercising.  On this particular cruise, we did not disembark on any of the ports, we were on the ship the entire time.   I don't know how we avoided staying clear, but even Diamond princess had just 700 out of 3000 get infected, not everyone, so there are decent odds to stay healthy.

Edited by CruisinCindy
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I suspect that all the symptomatic crew are already quarantined...so for now, it would be the asymptomatic group doing the work.

And having learned from the last ship, I suspect they are taking more precautions, including probably full protective gear in the cook/prep area...

Again, in a bad situation, you mitigate, not eliminate...95% solutions are sometimes all you have...

But the symptomatic crew would have been mixing with the other crew, and the passengers before they even knew they were unwell. Plus, if the virus is on the ship there are likely other crew without symptoms that are carriers.
The passengers have been interacting with each other, and the crew for the last 10 days. No point in confining them to their cabins now. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

yep that is what the chicken ladies say. They don't have any masks. crew will do meal prep just like Diamond even though many of them probably have it...this seems like ground hog day!!

Who else would do meal prep? In n Out?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

A couple new links

Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health, provided details about the patient, who is a woman in her 50s and was on the cruise ship currently under quarantine off the coast of California.

She is a resident of Calgary and is currently in self-quarantine at home.

"This person returned to Alberta on Feb. 21 and went into self-quarantine on Feb. 28."

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-reports-first-presumptive-case-of-covid-19-1.4841008

And this:

3 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

LOL never heard that. You guys have some great slang

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Grand has around 2600 pax and 1000 crew.   Capacity can extend to around 3000 pax if they use the fold down bunks in the 4 berth cabins.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, glam mistress said:

A couple new links

Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health, provided details about the patient, who is a woman in her 50s and was on the cruise ship currently under quarantine off the coast of California.

She is a resident of Calgary and is currently in self-quarantine at home.

"This person returned to Alberta on Feb. 21 and went into self-quarantine on Feb. 28."

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-reports-first-presumptive-case-of-covid-19-1.4841008

And this:

Oh no, that would be #5 and #6 from the Mexico cruise...