Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

27 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Am I correct if they are the first cruise passengers in quite a long time to sail under the Bay Bridge?

The only times I know of when cruise ships sailed under the Bay Bridge was when they were headed to dry dock at Pier 70, between Hunter's Point and Mission Bay.  There would not have been any passengers on them though.

I hope it is was a bit of a thrill and entertainment for the Grand's passengers today. Those out on balconies probably got some good pictures!

• Like 1

Just now, ams cruiser said:

The only times I know of when cruise ships sailed under the Bay Bridge was when they were headed to dry dock at Pier 70, between Hunter's Point and Mission Bay.  There would not have been any passengers on them though.

I hope it is was a bit of a thrill and entertainment for the Grand's passengers today. Those out on balconies probably got some good pictures!

I believe they did 🙂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Cruise ships don't ever go under the Bay Bridge because the only place on the other side is the Port of Oakland. And it is a cargo/container port without passenger facilities. 

28 minutes ago, Buddy604 said:

Although, if I’m not mistaken, one of the cruise ship dry dock locations for maintenance and upgrading is located beyond the bay bridge. Cruise ships getting refitted dock there, though of course there are no passengers aboard.

San Francisco Dry Dock is south of the Bay Bridge in the "Dogpatch" area of SF.  While US yards are not attractive to cruise ships, the yard has done several cruise ship dockings in the past, most often the NCL Pride of America, which has to dock in US yards or pay a 50% customs duty on all work done.  The yard used to be owned by BAE, but was closed about 3-4 years ago, due to costs to repair the docks and remediate pollution issues.

• Like 4

Word of advice, if your cruise ship becomes news media attention, please do not be naked on your balcony...

I was watching the CBS news, and the helicopter circles around the ship every few minutes, and I had too see that naked man just as frequent...

I can't believe it's that warm in Oakland. It's 64 degree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Word of advice, if your cruise ship becomes news media attention, please do not be naked on your balcony...

I was watching the CBS news, and the helicopter circles around the ship every few minutes, and I had too see that naked man just as frequent...

I can't believe it's that warm in Oakland. It's 64 degree.

I blame the lack of laundry facilities 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

Cruise ships don't ever go under the Bay Bridge because the only place on the other side is the Port of Oakland. And it is a cargo/container port without passenger facilities. 

It was either 2005 or 6 we did a Coastal Cruise on RCL Vision of the Seas and we docked at pier 30-32 in SF, which is just south of the Bay Bridge. Back then Pier 35 was the main SF cruise pier and they did occasionally use pier 30-32 if they needed an overflow dock.  

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, newcruiser1956 said:

Silly question but the passengers that are being help in quarantine,  who is paying for it?  Are they able to have family send things to them that they need?  How does this forced quarantine work??

For the Diamond Princess, the government covered the costs. They were able to have family ship things, though not drop things off. It took an extra day to get to them as it had to go through security.

They got food dropped off for three meals a day. Since they were on base the only thing they could order for food were grocery delivery (they had jack-and-jill style rooms, the ones I followed, with two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom) or Dominos pizza. This was Lackland AFB in Texas. They did get Whattaburger to make a special delivery to everyone there, though!

I too am wondering how it will work for test negative non-California passengers getting off this boat. Who arranges their plane trip home, can they get “stuff” like warmer clothes or work laptops etc fed-exed to them wherever they are being sent and how many times do they have to test negative before they are allowed to go home. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

They got food dropped off for three meals a day. Since they were on base the only thing they could order for food were grocery delivery (they had jack-and-jill style rooms, the ones I followed, with two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom) or Dominos pizza. This was Lackland AFB in Texas. They did get Whattaburger to make a special delivery to everyone there, though!

Yes, that was quite interesting to read. They blogged about it as it happened, first on reddit, and are continuing now on their web site (with discussions of integrating back into normal life). It gives a real sense of what the whole quarantine process was like, both on board and at the base. Their site is at https://www.thetorrestravels.com/

8 minutes ago, brisalta said:

In some circles, there's ALWAYS a reason to sue.   The usual group of attorneys who specialize in this type of thing will get richer off this whole spectacle.    If it were me, I'd just want to do the best I could to get/remain healthy and move on with life.           

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

Guess that's what happens when you are on the Grand dealing with this situation and you have a daughter who is a personal injury attorney in Broward County that deals with cruise ship issues.  The clients she filed for are her parents.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, newcruiser1956 said:

Silly question but the passengers that are being help in quarantine,  who is paying for it?  Are they able to have family send things to them that they need?  How does this forced quarantine work??

I'm pretty sure the governments of each country are paying for their resident's quarantines but, I did see that the World Central Kitchen, who also prepared food for the Diamond Princess passengers, was at the port of Oakland today for the Grand Princess.  

This doesn't really answer your question but thought it was interesting that they brought in a non-profit to feed these people ... I had no idea such an organization existed.  

World Central Kitchen is funded by individual donors, foundations, and businesses that enable their work around the world.  

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

It may have proved difficult to requisition the Grand Princess by the Federal government as she is NOT USA flagged.

She is flagged in Bermuda and if I remember correctly she is owned by a non USA company and then leased to a subsidiary of Princess.  It has been a while since I looked that information up but the ownesrhip paper trail was complicated as it is with many ships.

The fact that the company that owns her may be a subsidiary of Princess would prove irrelevant.

The government can pretty much do what ever they want under the regulations that apply in a quarantine situation.  They do not have to requisition anything.  They could have kept all passengers on board though after the Diamond not a good idea, they can keep the crew on board (plenty of space to spread out with the passengers gone).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Guess that's what happens when you are on the Grand dealing with this situation and you have a daughter who is a personal injury attorney in Broward County that deals with cruise ship issues.  The clients she filed for are her parents.

Wow!!!

• Like 1

Glad the ship is safely docked at Treasure Island in Oakland.  Only visited there once when I was in the Navy.  Now the long multi day disembarkation begins.  Best wishes to all of the Grand passengers.  I for one am grateful everyone will be off the ship and there will not be a repeat of the spectacle in Japan!

Now it seems like the CC "attorneys" are going to take over this thread.  Hopefully we don't have any further ships having similar virus issues! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1