Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

The only thing I know about luggage is that the Hot Chicken ladies on You Tube said that they were asked to pack a small bag (their term was "hand bag") with whatever they'd need for 24 hours. When they made their video this afternoon (Pacific Time), they did not know when or how they would get the rest of their luggage. 

Edited by ChiCruiser758

5 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

The only thing I know about luggage is that the Hot Chicken ladies on You Tube said that they were asked to pack a small bag (their term was "hand bag") with whatever they'd need for 24 hours. When they made their video this afternoon (Pacific Time), they did not know when or how they would get the rest of their luggage. 

As I remember it, yesterday they said they were to pack up there regular luggage and put it out, just like a regular disembarkation. The small bag was for what they needed and what they still had without their regular luggage, just like everyone does on the last night of a cruise.

As I remember the Diamond situation, each person was allowed 50 pounds of luggage. Never did read what would happen to the rest of their belongings that were left behind on the Diamond.

3 hours ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

A handbag is a ladies purse or pocketbook.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brisalta said:

In certain sectors the quality of reportage and fact checking has gone down unfortunately.

It is 19 crew and 2 passengers infected is what was discovered by the first round of testing on the Grand Princess.

this to me indicates that had a strong reason to suspect crew in general had a higher risk and were showing more symptoms...and tested more of them in that 46...that result just indicates they can and probably do expect many more.

As and FYI WCK, was founded by Jose Andres.  In the food world he is well known for his excellent restaurants.  I have eaten at the newly open one at Walt Disney World.  If you want an excellent Spanish inspired meal without having to fly to Spain, you should try one of his location here in the states.

• Like 5

CNN is reporting difficulties with disembarkation. People waiting in lines, then being turned around and back to cabins. Cannot tell if this was an isolated incident or a more general issue. Anyone else hearing anything?

Below is the Roll Call thread for the Grand.  We have been asked to not post there unless one is on the ship however reading the thread shows what those folks are going through; not much info and lots of uncertainties.  Some are travelling alone, sad, and many do not know where they are going.  Being on the Grand is no fun, a nice cruise turned into a big mess to put it politely. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2565540-grand-hawaii-feb-21-2020/page/21/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kimanjo said:

I heard a couple of interesting items while watching the ship sail into Oakland. Not sure if they are true or not?

1.  GP can't dock at that pier for very long, one reason there isn't sufficient "power" for her since its been closed for a few years?

1. A cruise ship is supposed to use shore power when docked in San Francisco bay and cut the engines.  Port of San Francisco Pier 27 is configured so it can supply the required power and has the equipment to connect the ship.

The pier that is being used in Oakland is old and generally not used so does not have the basic facilities necessary to supply shore side electricity at the level required.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brisalta said:

1. A cruise ship is supposed to use shore power when docked in San Francisco bay and cut the engines.  Port of San Francisco Pier 27 is configured so it can supply the required power and has the equipment to connect the ship.

The pier that is being used in Oakland is old and generally not used so does not have the basic facilities necessary to supply shore side electricity at the level required.

Not just cruise ships, all ships.  And, the law only requires the ship to go on shore power, when it is available.  So, if it is at a dock that does not have shore power, then it can stay using its engines burning CARB compatible fuel (ultra-low sulfur diesel).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, brisalta said:

So would that have any direct effect on the length it can be docked there?

1 minute ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Pence said that they would test all passengers, but quite a few have already been disembarked to Canada.   What is the plan there?   We just don't care?

they don't want to test anyone but US citizens I guess....quite different than in Japan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I would like to ask a question.  I got cancelled off my March 22nd Grand Princess cruise. I'm concerned about my March 29th one. So I'm asking for input to someone who's got expertise in this stuff.

If the passengers are off by Thursday then the crew quarantines for 14 days, do you think it can still go?

Edited by Ombud

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I would like to ask a question.  I got cancelled off my March 22nd Grand Princess cruise. I'm concerned about my March 29th one. So I'm asking for input to someone who's got expertise in this stuff.

If the passengers are off by Thursday then the crew quarantines for 14 days, do you think it can still go?

There is virtually no way the March 29 cruise will take place.  Once the 14 day quarantine is over, massive cleaning will need to take place.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Pence said that they would test all passengers, but quite a few have already been disembarked to Canada.   What is the plan there?   We just don't care?

All passengers, USA or elsewhere, will be tested in their home countries once they are evacuated to there.

Pence, being USA V.P., was not trying to cover passengers going to other countries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Canada said they will quarantine their 237 or 240 passengers at one of their military bases as well as test everyone when they arrive at the base. UK doing the same for their 140ish passengers.  I have No idea about other countries yet.

chicken ladies are on now...things are changing for them...last night got call from their governor...I think it is Nevada and they are going to get tested before they fly...apparently test used is fast results? If positive they stay in Ca. if not fly home and self quarantine.  I am wondering if this is special for them?

• Thanks 1