When will Regent drop their prices?

49 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

One thing that I fear will cut bookings far into the future just happened today. Yesterday, US travelers in the U.K. and Ireland were fine. Now according to NBC news, they need to get out by midnight tonight. Airlines simply aren’t able to respond that quickly. And the travelers who are able to fly home are worried about what they will face when they get back to the US. No one has told them. So it is the uncertainty resulting from ever - changing rules and restrictions that will deter all international travel well into the future, I fear.

This is probably not the last international crisis that will impact US residents who are vacationing in other countries (or at sea).  It is the uncertainty from changing requirements, and very short notice on the changes, that will weigh on my mind when making vacation plans well into the future. I doubt that I am alone in this concern.This will be a negative factor for many in considering travel, including and especially by cruise ship, well into the future.  One way the cruise lines could combat this is by cutting prices, just like they did after 9 - 11. 

That is why I posted this thread. It is not to tell Regent and NCLH what to do, as that would be well beyond what little authority I have in any area. My purpose is only to remind Regent of what it’s direct predecessor (Radisson) did after 9 -11. And it worked then.

Regent is not Radisson and what applied 18 years ago does not necessarily apply now.  While some cruises were cancelled after 9/11, trying to comparing one horrible day in the U.S. to a global pandemic just doesn't work.  

After Regent has accommodated all of the passengers that have been affected (booked all of their cruises) and the pandemic subsides, if there are itineraries with a lot of availability, Regent will likely look at the situation further.

In terms of this pandemic causing problems after it subsides, I envision more people - not less that will be cruising and/or flying.  We are already looking at Regent itineraries.  We do not have a fear of flying - only a fear of flying with people that are unwell.  I see no reason why international travel will be affected. Once it is clear to fly again, it will likely take the airlines a couple of day to resume flights all over the world!

• Like 2

I agree with Jackie and cruiseluv in that we just don’t know and can only share our concerns. In my case, we have four cruises booked with Regent starting next November and hope that this madness corrects itself by then. Regardless, we stand to potentially lose out in a worse case scenario. But, We are staying positive and are taking a wait and see attitude.  
Z and TB 

We too, have four future cruises booked on Regent, starting in November 2020. We will look at it positively. 
Although we have both isolated ourselves at home, this shall pass. 

It’s so good to stay in contact with cruise friends on CC, during this time. It gives us something to look forward to......

Sheila

13 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes, I agree.  Now what shall we talk about? 🙄

I hope that when Regent starts sailing again, they move a ship to the Caribbean so it’s easy to cruise without flying internationally. I would love to sail right after the “all clear”. 
None of us can predict the future, so let’s be kids again and dream.

sheila 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I hope that when Regent starts sailing again, they move a ship to the Caribbean so it’s easy to cruise without flying internationally. I would love to sail right after the “all clear”. 
None of us can predict the future, so let’s be kids again and dream.

sheila 

Sheila, I'm with you. I have two land trips planned for later this year in Europe, and I feel that even if the situation there is "fixed" I might be a bit skittish about flying there. A Caribbean cruise right after this nightmare is over sounds like a great idea!

• Like 2

I could get "on board" with an interesting Caribbean cruise. By interesting I mean some of the less frequented Caribbean ports...Martinique, Guadaloupe, St. Vincent, Haiti?,  Bonaire? Something besides the usual Bermuda, St. Thomas, etc. Could deal with those but would be so much more interested in a little off track from the norm...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, spindrift said:

papaflamingo, that is somewhat incorrect. You lose more than $100.  My final is due 3/16, and I have a $4,000 + deposit which will be lost if I cancel, plus the insurance which I bought.  That does not include bankruptcy either.

That may be the best loss to cancel anyway rather than losing $30,000.  I wish Regent could give us a little better guarantee that the "reassurance" plan in the event of a major loss.

I love Regent, but I'm not is a position to lose $30,000.

You can purchase a third party policy that will cover cessation of service by the cruise line. The premium and their cancellation rules are between you and them.  But you can usually change the dates of the policy if you rebook before the first day of your original cruise.  And I wasn't talking about insurance anyway, that is a personal choice of if and when to purchase.

Since your final payment is coming due (tomorrow I see), you can still cancel and, assuming you're in the U.S. {I can't speak for other country rules, you can cancel) get a full refund minus $100 per person (except World Cruises, then it's $500 per person). But that $100 per person can be used as a future cruise credit.  Here is a copy and paste from their website: 

"Cruises 14 Nights or Less

From date of deposit to 121 days prior to vacation date: $100 per person administration fee. This admin fee will be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time.
120-91 days prior to vacation date: 15% of cruise fare per person
90-61 days prior to vacation date: 50% of cruise fare per person

60-31 days prior to vacation date: 75% of cruise fare per person 30-0 days prior to vacation date: 100% of cruise fare per person

Cruises 15 Nights or Greater

From date of deposit to 151 days prior to vacation date: $100 per person administration fee. This admin fee will be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time.
150-121 days prior to vacation date: 15% of cruise fare per person
120-91 days prior to vacation date: 50% of cruise fare per person

90-76 days prior to vacation date: 75% of cruise fare per person 75-0 days prior to vacation date: 100% of cruise fare per person"

Here's the link: 

Edited by papaflamingo

I really don’t understand all the complaining. No one has to lose $30,000. Stop whining!

We were fully paid for the Splendor Cruise (3/14), which we cancelled last Monday. We got the FCC and applied it to our already booked cruise for November. There was a small balance, which we can use on another booked cruise.

We switched our fully paid insurance policy for the cruise to the November sailing. 
We may be out a couple of hundred dollars because we had shipped our luggage to San Diego and then paid to have it shipped back. 
Yes, Regent might go bankrupt. That’s life. 
All first world problems..
Hey Guys.... things could be a lot worse! 
(we could get the COVID- 19 virus and die)
sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Sheila, I'm with you. I have two land trips planned for later this year in Europe, and I feel that even if the situation there is "fixed" I might be a bit skittish about flying there. A Caribbean cruise right after this nightmare is over sounds like a great idea!

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

I could get "on board" with an interesting Caribbean cruise. By interesting I mean some of the less frequented Caribbean ports...Martinique, Guadaloupe, St. Vincent, Haiti?,  Bonaire? Something besides the usual Bermuda, St. Thomas, etc. Could deal with those but would be so much more interested in a little off track from the norm...

OK! We will wait and see what future plans Regent has. I bet so many people would decide to book, it would be on overdrive...

sheila

Even a couple of the less visited ports of eastern Mexico could be interesting....Tampico? Veracruz? Just something a little different and it would really get my attention. I know it takes some time to put the ground operation into effect, but Regent has certainly done few dicer ones in Europe....thinking Albania....Albania? What were they thinking?....haha!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I really don’t understand all the complaining. No one has to lose $30,000. Stop whining!

We were fully paid for the Splendor Cruise (3/14), which we cancelled last Monday. We got the FCC and applied it to our already booked cruise for November. There was a small balance, which we can use on another booked cruise.

We switched our fully paid insurance policy for the cruise to the November sailing. 
We may be out a couple of hundred dollars because we had shipped our luggage to San Diego and then paid to have it shipped back. 
sheila

Totally agree, a balanced response

We have a lot to be grateful for

Let's hope it is resolved before the autumn and that the Regent product we all enjoy survives this

Keep well and lets cruise again in the future

2 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

What a perfect post!  What cruise are you doing in November?  

14 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

What a perfect post!  What cruise are you doing in November?  

We are scheduled on Splendor TA from Barcelona to Miami, 11/13/2020. Planning to spend three days in Barcelona before the cruise. We booked this several months ago. Air and hotel already booked. 
I like to plan for the future.. I am an optimistic person.
We have reached a point in our lives that our cruising is more about our lifestyle onboard the ship, than the ports. We have three additional cruises on Splendor after that one.  
Let’s all take a positive view about the future!

sheila

On 3/14/2020 at 7:22 PM, Dolebludger said:

That is why I posted this thread. It is not to tell Regent and NCLH what to do, as that would be well beyond what little authority I have in any area. My purpose is only to remind Regent of what it’s direct predecessor (Radisson) did after 9 -11. And it worked then.

Richard, you and I were on this (and another now defunct) board after 9/11; we both loved Radisson at the time.  After 9/11 we realized life was too short and we started traveling.  We benefitted from Radisson's drop in price.  I have perused Regent itineraries for the next two years and there haven't been any price drops.  One cruise, 21 May 20 Splendor was modified to Athens to Barcelona instead of Rome to Barcelona losing two ports in a seven day cruise; the price is atrocious; more than double what it should be.  If that cruise hasn't been discounted there might not be much hope to see discounts.  I wouldn't mind seeing some great deals in 2021 and 2022; if so, I would book giving them a 15% deposit; more cash when they desperately need it as they have used up both of their lines of credit.

Just my two confederate sense,

Marc

My take on cruise prices - supply and demand.  If you think the prices are too high, don't book.  Pretty straightforward.

If Regent can fill cabins at the prices they're asking, the prices aren't too high.  If they can't, they are.  Pretty basic concept.  Personally I think they're going to have to find their break-even point and price to hit it.  It should lead to some discounts on some sailings, but if not, well, they're obviously satisfied with the occupancy rate and revenue generated at whatever percentage they're sailing at.  Too many factors for someone like me (with no access to their pricing models and actual numbers) to even SWAG it...

• Like 1

mrlevin, 

Well, hello again! I think my original post may have been misstated or misunderstood. I really have no fear of any disease from a Regent cruise, and we've been on a few in recent years, despite the high prices — which they may well have been worth. My concern is that our investments have lost the equivalent of 10 nice Regent cruises since this emergency began. (Not world cruises, but nice ones averaging 10 nights with domestic air upgrade to business and pre and post hotel). Capital losses like that make one hesitant to take a cruise in Regent’s recent price range. Before the current health and economic crisis, Regent cruises were sailing pretty full, with some waitlisted. So their pricing was (by definition) good — at least for it. But when the health crisis subsides, the economic crisis may be slow to abate,— at least that’s what my financial advisor tells me. In that event, Regent may not find it possible to fill their cruises at recent pricing. That’s what my original post was intended to address..

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

First of all why would Regent lower prices---you get what you pay for, if anything they may give a few extra benefit when they restart up, but lower prices.

Oh, I don't know, maybe if they can't fill their ships... I would say that's a great incentive to lower prices. I'm not saying it would be a fire sale, but when things "quiet down" I dont think people are going to jump back in droves

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 4:24 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I didn’t know you could do this. Was your policy through Regent or a third party? If the latter assume you just call and say I’d like to transfer?

7 minutes ago, macbest said:

I didn’t know you could do this. Was your policy through Regent or a third party? If the latter assume you just call and say I’d like to transfer?

Our insurance is with Travelguard. We cancelled our Splendor cruise on Monday 3/9, which was scheduled to sail 3/14. Got FCC, which we applied to our cruise in November. I could not get through by phone to Travelguard to check if I could make a claim, instead of the FCC. It was impossible to get through to them. After several hours, I decided to complete their online form to change the existing policy date to our future booking. It was the only choice left to me. I did it just before the policy went into effect. 
I was delighted five days later when I received confirmation of the change of date. 
Hope I answered your question. 
sheila

Sheila can I please ask were you able to use the FCC that you recieved to pay the balance on an existing booked cruise for November?
This is the question that I asked our TA to ask Regent UK if we could use FCC for our existing November cruise that we booked about last June, and Regent said that it would have to be used for a new booking completely.

Sorry if I am putting you in the spot but I am possibly misunderstanding the situation?
Thanks much,  Jean.