125% for credit or take the cash

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Going ahead and making final payment this week on our July Alaska cruise.  I already have the same week booked for next year as a back up.  If the cruise gets cancelled the 125% FCC will cover the new cruise with a bit left over. I’ll also take the 125% OBC offer to rebook our shore excursions. Luckily being from Ontario our entire trip is covered under TICO in the event Royal goes under.  No risk for us. 

Maybe I should take the cash-😇 Don't have TICO here 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Going ahead and making final payment this week on our July Alaska cruise.  I already have the same week booked for next year as a back up.  If the cruise gets cancelled the 125% FCC will cover the new cruise with a bit left over. I’ll also take the 125% OBC offer to rebook our shore excursions. Luckily being from Ontario our entire trip is covered under TICO in the event Royal goes under.  No risk for us. 

Hi Ken,  Does TICO cover us Canadians if we booked directly with Royal?  Or would we have to book with a travel agent to be covered?

Also would TICO cover our cruise planner purchases if Royal does go bankrupt? 

Hope you and the family are doing well! 

Serena

14 minutes ago, happy cruiser1234 said:

Hi Ken,  Does TICO cover us Canadians if we booked directly with Royal?  Or would we have to book with a travel agent to be covered?

Also would TICO cover our cruise planner purchases if Royal does go bankrupt? 

Hope you and the family are doing well! 

Serena

We are doing well, just staying out for now.  Unfortunately you need to be booked through a travel agent in order to be covered.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Maybe I should take the cash-😇 Don't have TICO here 

I live outside of the province of Ontario. Can I still obtain the protection of the Compensation Fund when I purchase my travel services from an Ontario registered travel agency?

Yes. There is no residency requirement to have an eligible claim against the Compensation Fund. No matter where a person resides, if they purchase their travel services from an Ontario registered travel retailer, they will benefit from the consumer protection provisions found under the Act and Regulation.

• Like 1

I just received my "125%" refund. What a joke. My amount was less than 105%. There is a statement that "if you see a lower value, you may have had a rate that lowered your cruise fare, like our Kids Sail Free promotion, BOGO, or other offers." So I got a deal, and paid less, and now they won't give me a decent credit. If I had paid full price, they would have to give me a higher credit. I have cancelled the cruise that I booked only yesterday and decided to stop cruising with Royal. It's too bad, as my children really liked cruising with Royal. I'm sure they'll like another line as well. Royal has started the refund process, which they said will take 30 days. Here's hoping it goes through sooner.

23 minutes ago, Euphboy said:

I just received my "125%" refund. What a joke. My amount was less than 105%. There is a statement that "if you see a lower value, you may have had a rate that lowered your cruise fare, like our Kids Sail Free promotion, BOGO, or other offers." So I got a deal, and paid less, and now they won't give me a decent credit. If I had paid full price, they would have to give me a higher credit. I have cancelled the cruise that I booked only yesterday and decided to stop cruising with Royal. It's too bad, as my children really liked cruising with Royal. I'm sure they'll like another line as well. Royal has started the refund process, which they said will take 30 days. Here's hoping it goes through sooner.

Wait, they refunded you 125% of exactly what you paid?  I don’t see what they did wrong.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Euphboy said:

I don’t understand?  Did you get 125% of what you paid?  

• Like 1

Taxes and port fees are separate, and will be refunded to you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Sounds like you are now considering rcl might go under?

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I think the thought has crossed everyone’s mind.  Do I think that they will...no.

There is a very good possibility since cruise lines are now the boogeyman.  Bankruptcy will mean some pain for a lot of people, but RCL will continue to sail and recover.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Yes, ok

Just taking the fcc over a refund feels like a gamble tbh.

It is now because we know the current circumstances.  Remember 2008-9? Everyone thought the party wouldn't end.  Then suddenly it did.

I took three  out of four on a refund.  Not necessarily by choice.  Then took FCC for a June 6th cruise only because it was paid for by a FCC.

3 hours ago, Euphboy said:

Right, so don't post while mad. That should have read "125%" FCC. The future cruise credit was $230 more than I paid. 125% would have been closer to $1100. The promotions cut the rest of my credit. The cost of the flight for my family of 4 (they cancelled when we were boarding my flight, and I didn't get the email until the next morning) was more than that.

17 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

It is now because we know the current circumstances.  Remember 2008-9? Everyone thought the party wouldn't end.  Then suddenly it did.

I took three  out of four on a refund.  Not necessarily by choice.  Then took FCC for a June 6th cruise only because it was paid for by a FCC.

You think that this situation is remotely like 2008? The disease then was unregulated banks. No vaccine needed.

It is individual conjecture, but I will take cash over FCC for several reasons.

• Don't want my money in a company that may be forced into Chapter 11.
  • How long do you think it is going to take to get this disease COMPLETELY under control? Mostly doesn't work when hosts don't have symptoms but can still pass the virus.
  • And if America does get it under control, how long do you think it will take to get everyone residing in every port cleared?
  • And then, how long will it take to regroup crew and be assured they have been safely isolated? They would be coming from all over the world.
  • I am not confident that international ports will let ships in from America unless there has been a vaccine. It takes a long time to inoculate the world.
  • There may have to be cruises to nowhere to restart the engine. 
  • In the back of my mind are the passengers who were confined to cabins cabins for weeks. One case could leave you at sea in an infected environment.
  • This ain't Noro, kids.
  • Can you imagine the cost of trip insurance, if you can get it at all?
  • It is quite likely, though I pray not, that the death toll in the U.S. alone will be 5 times the American  losses of life in the Vietnam War.
  • Until things are safe? Not weeks or months. I don't think there will be viable cruising by the 12/21 redemption date for FCC.

Just an opinion from a hospital ship veteran.

Cash.

28 minutes ago, John Reid said:

You think that this situation is remotely like 2008? The disease then was unregulated banks. No vaccine needed.

It is individual conjecture, but I will take cash over FCC for several reasons.

• Don't want my money in a company that may be forced into Chapter 11.
  • How long do you think it is going to take to get this disease COMPLETELY under control? Mostly doesn't work when hosts don't have symptoms but can still pass the virus.
  • And if America does get it under control, how long do you think it will take to get everyone residing in every port cleared?
  • And then, how long will it take to regroup crew and be assured they have been safely isolated? They would be coming from all over the world.
  • I am not confident that international ports will let ships in from America unless there has been a vaccine. It takes a long time to inoculate the world.
  • There may have to be cruises to nowhere to restart the engine. 
  • In the back of my mind are the passengers who were confined to cabins cabins for weeks. One case could leave you at sea in an infected environment.
  • This ain't Noro, kids.
  • Can you imagine the cost of trip insurance, if you can get it at all?
  • It is quite likely, though I pray not, that the death toll in the U.S. alone will be 5 times the American  losses of life in the Vietnam War.
  • Until things are safe? Not weeks or months. I don't think there will be viable cruising by the 12/21 redemption date for FCC.

Just an opinion from a hospital ship veteran.

Cash.

You missed my point entirely.  Which was you can't always predict risk.  I took cash where I could.  Thanks for your input.

BTW banks are heavily regulated now and then, your statement is false.  Brokerage firms, mortgage mills like Countrywide, FNMA, and Dodd/Frank were the root cause.

Right, so don't post while mad. That should have read "125%" FCC. The future cruise credit was $230 more than I paid. 125% would have been closer to $1100. The promotions cut the rest of my credit. The cost of the flight for my family of 4 (they cancelled when we were boarding my flight, and I didn't get the email until the next morning) was more than that.

The cruiseline isn’t required to make you whole on a flight that you bought from another company. A flight you took and got the benefit of already. 

Your trip interruption insurance will cover that...or did you not buy any?

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, steveru621 said:

There is a very good possibility since cruise lines are now the boogeyman.  Bankruptcy will mean some pain for a lot of people, but RCL will continue to sail and recover.

Nope, Main lines not going anywhere. Might loose few smaller ones like months after 9/11- Anthrax scares. Took about 6-9 months get back normal but after travel really took off. 

14 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Nope, Main lines not going anywhere. Might loose few smaller ones like months after 9/11- Anthrax scares. Took about 6-9 months get back normal but after travel really took off. 

I certainly hope you are correct.

Main lines will continue, but that does not mean they won't go bankrupt to protect them from crushing debt.  Many large companies have survived bankruptcy.