Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I used to like milkshakes but never really liked thickshakes for some odd reason. These days I couldn't handle that much milk. One regular latte worth is enough for me. 

I get them to make real coffee milkshakes for me (not syrup coffee).  I don't like thick shakes either.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They've grown since I was a kid, at least the ones that survived. They have a much bigger range of products these days. 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Now they are probably 711.

There are still a few dairy’s around but in order to survive they have had to expand into lunch bars ,superettes, grocery stores etc, Most survived on the sale of ciggies but those sales have slumped or they don’t stock cigarettes as they are a target for robbery .

My first first business was a dairy which we expanded and enlarged into a 7 day Superette . 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I often make chilled lattes in summer - espresso over ice with cold milk added. I should try blending it. 

I love affogato, made the best by Greek heritage cafes.  However, if I see it on a menu I'll order it instead of desert.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Tim Hortons make an "Iced Cap" which is basically a coffee Slurpee with milk blended in.

A lot of American coffee chains make ice blended drinks or frappuchinos but they tend to use coffee syrup so are sweeter than I like.

36 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I love affogato, made the best by Greek heritage cafes.  However, if I see it on a menu I'll order it instead of desert.

Affogato made by Greeks? The Italians would be most upset about that! 

It is nice though, with a shot of frangelico.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Affogato made by Greeks? The Italians would be most upset about that! 

It is nice though, with a shot of frangelico.

Could have been Italian!  I can picture my favourite cafe now, which was in middle of "Little Greece", not far from the Greek Club.

42 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Could have been Italian!  I can picture my favourite cafe now, which was in middle of "Little Greece", not far from the Greek Club.

Reminds me of my first visit to Greece, where I told the sweet seller "We call that Turkish Delight".  With a smile, he replied "We call it Greek Delight".

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

In summer a niced iced coffee is my favourite, milk, ice cream, coffee, in the mixer if home or nice at a cafe.

Iced coffee here in cafes has 1" of cream on the top, which I don't like.

Reminds me of the look on my daughter's face, when iced coffee in Hawaii was cold black coffee with ice!

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Reminds me of my first visit to Greece, where I told the sweet seller "We call that Turkish Delight".  With a smile, he replied "We call it Greek Delight".

Iced coffee here in cafes has 1" of cream on the top, which I don't like.

Reminds me of the look on my daughter's face, when iced coffee in Hawaii was cold black coffee with ice!

You have to have cream. We were in Waikikki last year for 10 days post Noordam, syd to honolulu. I had a few iced coffees and asked for ice cream and cream, by the gallon. I hate black coffee. No short  blacks for me, cappucinos or lattes is my go or iced coffees in the manner aforesaid.

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You have to have cream. We were in Waikikki last year for 10 days post Noordam, syd to honolulu. I had a few iced coffees and asked for ice cream and cream, by the gallon. I hate black coffee. No short  blacks for me, cappucinos or lattes is my go or iced coffees in the manner aforesaid.

That was thirty years or so ago.  I guess they have learnt to make proper iced coffees since.  

When I first asked for a cup of tea in London, I was given milk tea.  When I said oh no I'd like a black tea please, the lady said "you didn't ask for black tea".  I didn't know I had to, but quickly learnt.  Same in USA

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

, I learnt to ask for hot black tea, otherwise I got iced tea.

That must have been a nice trip, with ten days in Hawaii.  We used to stop in Hawaii most years en route to the USA or UK.  I love all the islands - their flowers, music and dance.  As soon as you get off the plane, it feels like home in the tropics.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That was thirty years or so ago.  I guess they have learnt to make proper iced coffees since.  

When I first asked for a cup of tea in London, I was given milk tea.  When I said oh no I'd like a black tea please, the lady said "you didn't ask for black tea".  I didn't know I had to, but quickly learnt.  Same in USA

, I learnt to ask for hot black tea, otherwise I got iced tea.

That must have been a nice trip, with ten days in Hawaii.  We used to stop in Hawaii most years en route to the USA or UK.  I love all the islands - their flowers, music and dance.  As soon as you get off the plane, it feels like home in the tropics.

It was our last big trip, 14 day cruise there, 10 days in Waikikki and fly home. Great memories thank you.

19 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I used to always buy malted milks, which are still my favourite.  There is an old fashioned milk bar in Grafton where they sell malted milks in the correct metal ? containers.  Don't go past Grafton without taking a detour and having a malted milk.  

We have recently moved to Grafton! 

Tell me more about this milk bar, please. 

19 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

It is in the main street of Grafton.  From memory a couple of shops from the corner diagonally opposite the park.  

I Scream - 91 Princes Street Grafton. 

Enjoy Grafton and the beautiful Region. 

Edited by MMDown Under

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Dop they still have the Jacaranda Festival in Grafton, always worth a visit, popular.  When my Mother lived on the Gold Coast for 20 odd years, on the drive north, half way stop was generally Grafton, nice town.

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Dop they still have the Jacaranda Festival in Grafton, always worth a visit, popular.  When my Mother lived on the Gold Coast for 20 odd years, on the drive north, half way stop was generally Grafton, nice town.

Yes they still have the Jacaranda Festival in Grafton.  When I was there during the last Festival, keen photographers with their tripods kept setting them up on main roads to get the best pictures.  Must drive the locals crazy, but good business for the town.  Good to visit just before the Festival to avoid the crowds of tourists, who come by the bus loads. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, possum52 said:

No, thickshakes were around a long time before Maccas' version Les. We had them as kids. 

A REAL thickshake could hardly be sucked up the straw and often gave a brain freeze headache 🙂

When I was at uni in mid 70's, would often have a 50/50 (1/2 milkshake, 1/2 thickshake) for brekkie as the thickshake was too hard to drink in the limited time to get to class 😮

Somewhat surprised to still  read this - the crew still stuck on board, the countries are being difficult.

A longish article from USA Today - interesting points what the non-working crew does ( or cannot do) whilst waiting.

"12,000 crew members still on cruise ships in US waters months after COVID-19 pandemic shut cruising down"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/08/cruise-ships-us-have-12000-crew-members-amid-covid-19/5574288002/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

A REAL thickshake could hardly be sucked up the straw and often gave a brain freeze headache 🙂

When I was at uni in mid 70's, would often have a 50/50 (1/2 milkshake, 1/2 thickshake) for brekkie as the thickshake was too hard to drink in the limited time to get to class 😮

Yes, many a freeze headache from thick shakes, although not for years. 

Leigh

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes, many a freeze headache from thick shakes, although not for years. 

Leigh

Had a few freeze headaches from icy cold beverages, milk shakes, near frozen beers etc.  We did stupid things in our youth.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Had a few freeze headaches from icy cold beverages, milk shakes, near frozen beers etc.  We did stupid things in our youth.

So what does one call the ahem(clear throat) slight aberrations that one has in our more mature years? 🙂

• Like 1