Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

35 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

From The Age:

Home Affairs boss Michael Pezzullo has confirmed there will be no significant reopening of the international border before June 2022, but says discussions about travel bubbles with Singapore and Pacific countries are still a possibility before then.

Appearing at a Senate estimates hearing this morning, Mr Pezzullo also confirmed work is underway on establishing a new “Digital Passenger Declaration” which will include information about a person’s health and vaccination status.

He said the declaration could mean Australians won’t have to quarantine on return to the country if they have been vaccinated in Australia.

“At the direction of the Australian government the department is examining how Australia’s international border can be re-opened in a graduated way… guided by public health advice,” he said

Same old, same old.  'Discuss' is all they do, it's time we had a definite plan and some action.  Pity all those who've lost their jobs in tourism, not to mention the huge flow-on effect of those who provision the ships, right down to the farmers who grow the food. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That is going to be interesting when cruises have already been in sale and its likely more than 1,000 berths have been sold. Move over offers??

Just imagine the stink if people have to be bumped.

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They'll have to do something fairly quickly. If cruising doesn't resume this summer, even with restricted numbers, local popular holiday places are going to be swamped with people who were expecting to cruise all trying to find somewhere to holiday. Even now up in Queensland it's an issue as people who would have gone to Europe in our winter are now going to warmer climes here.  

Surely that's a good thing? Busy Australian holiday operators, I mean.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That is going to be interesting when cruises have already been in sale and its likely more than 1,000 berths have been sold. Move over offers??

We don't actually know that all cabins have been sold as usual, it is possible that the cruise lines foresaw restrictions on numbers and have already limited the number of cabins sold. If not there will be a lot of unhappy people, me included!

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Discussions, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

Royal are sending ovation and serenade to Alaska (Serenade has to go through the Panama Canal) .and strangely radiance is going to stay anchored off Singapore.

Radiance would be a good ship for a restart down here if passenger numbers are restricted to 1000, rather than bring one of the bigger ships down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Surely that's a good thing? Busy Australian holiday operators, I mean.

Yes for the operators, but not for people who are finding it hard to get accommodation anywhere so have to miss out on their holiday.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes for the operators, but no for people who are finding it hard to get accommodation anywhere so have to miss out on their holiday.

Surely those people can be flexible and make a second or third (or fourth or fifth...) choice? Go somewhere new or try something different?

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Surely those people can be flexible and make a second or third (or fourth or fifth...) choice? Go somewhere new or try something different?

Not if everywhere is booked up, which apparently is happening in Queensland this winter. I read something about that a few days ago, on either the ABC or SMH I think. People aren't going to want to travel long distance in Australia if they can only get one or two nights accommodation.

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Radiance would be a good ship for a restart down here if passenger numbers are restricted to 1000, rather than bring one of the bigger ships down.

It would work ,radiance has the capacity of 2500 .

Like I said, Alaska is a goer and they are leaving radiance anchored off Singapore.

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not if everywhere is booked up, which apparently is happening in Queensland this winter. I read something about that a few days ago, on either the ABC or SMH I think. People aren't going to want to travel long distance in Australia if they can only get one or two nights accommodation.

Both out of curiosity and because I have some business in the tourism sector in Queensland, which areas of Queensland have you heard this about? It's a big place as you know and there are lots of holiday 'centres' which extend for kilometers (Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, FNQ, islands etc).

26 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Both out of curiosity and because I have some business in the tourism sector in Queensland, which areas of Queensland have you heard this about? It's a big place as you know and there are lots of holiday 'centres' which extend for kilometers (Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, FNQ, islands etc).

I can't remember everywhere they mentioned but I do remember around the Whitsundays was one of the affected areas. 

Have just returned from Darwin courtesy of Scomo’s half price flights.  Darwin and surrounds are experiencing record numbers of booking this dry season.  

This was my first visit to Darwin.  Very impressed with the waterfront area which is close to where the cruise ships dock. Enjoyed visiting the WWII oil tunnels and the RFDS museum on Stokes Wharf.  A modern facility which is devoted to the bombing of Darwin and the history of the RFDS.

Do the ships ever dock overnight here, like they do in Hobart?  Plenty of day trips for the stunning Litchfield NP and the lovely Berry Springs. And in the opposite direction out of Darwin you have the amazing Jumping Croc Cruise and a little further the Corrobbee Cruise.

This is too far for a cruise day trip be we did the beautiful Yellow Waters sunset cruise at Cooinda. 2hrs of beautiful birds, lots of crocs and a stunning sunset.

Darwin, Litchfield (& Kakadu) impressed me.  Would love to cruise there one day when cruising resumes.

11 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Have just returned from Darwin courtesy of Scomo’s half price flights.  Darwin and surrounds are experiencing record numbers of booking this dry season.  

This was my first visit to Darwin.  Very impressed with the waterfront area which is close to where the cruise ships dock. Enjoyed visiting the WWII oil tunnels and the RFDS museum on Stokes Wharf.  A modern facility which is devoted to the bombing of Darwin and the history of the RFDS.

Do the ships ever dock overnight here, like they do in Hobart?  Plenty of day trips for the stunning Litchfield NP and the lovely Berry Springs. And in the opposite direction out of Darwin you have the amazing Jumping Croc Cruise and a little further the Corrobbee Cruise.

This is too far for a cruise day trip be we did the beautiful Yellow Waters sunset cruise at Cooinda. 2hrs of beautiful birds, lots of crocs and a stunning sunset.

Darwin, Litchfield (& Kakadu) impressed me.  Would love to cruise there one day when cruising resumes.

Yes I'd seen on the news about the heavy accommodation bookings in Darwin.  Sounds like you had an enjoyable holiday in Darwin.  I've always thought cruises starting or ending in Darwin would be a good idea, as there is so much to see and do in Darwin.  I did a cruise from Sydney to Darwin and loved it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I just booked accommodation in Cairns and PD for late Aug/Early sept. PD was fairly booked - but it does have limited availability that time of the year - I  got what  i wanted ie a heated  pool and under A$200/night. Cairns seemed to have plenty of options - I rebooked somewhere we'd stayed previously and liked. 

The papers today in NZ are full of sharp prices for Cairns and Gold coast family holidays - 7 days 2A+2C in an apartment style thing.  - that will be aimed at the July school holidays 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Docker123 said:

From The Age:

Home Affairs boss Michael Pezzullo has confirmed there will be no significant reopening of the international border before June 2022, but says discussions about travel bubbles with Singapore and Pacific countries are still a possibility before then.

Appearing at a Senate estimates hearing this morning, Mr Pezzullo also confirmed work is underway on establishing a new “Digital Passenger Declaration” which will include information about a person’s health and vaccination status.

He said the declaration could mean Australians won’t have to quarantine on return to the country if they have been vaccinated in Australia.

“At the direction of the Australian government the department is examining how Australia’s international border can be re-opened in a graduated way… guided by public health advice,” he said

That is the end of the May 2022 Coral Princess Worldie then, the ship will not even come here. And here was Uncle Les waiting in the wings to book Sydney to Dover. Plenty of cabins now.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, lissie said:

I just booked accommodation in Cairns and PD for late Aug/Early sept. PD was fairly booked - but it does have limited availability that time of the year - I  got what  i wanted ie a heated  pool and under A$200/night. Cairns seemed to have plenty of options - I rebooked somewhere we'd stayed previously and liked. 

The papers today in NZ are full of sharp prices for Cairns and Gold coast family holidays - 7 days 2A+2C in an apartment style thing.  - that will be aimed at the July school holidays 

The Gold  Coast and Sunshine Coast are very popular with Kiwis in winter, I have stayed in apartment complexes in both areas, normally half full of Kiwis escaping the chully wither un nu ziland. chiers 😎 Bro

I have been going up to the above areas since the late 70’s when my mother, sister and brother moved there, Currumbin, Tugun, Nerang. I love Mooloobala on Sunny coast too.

Edited by NSWP

4 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Sounds like a great trip. Ships doing an overnight in Darwin is a great idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lissie said:

Weather should be very nice at that time of year. We've always found that those times just before our local school holidays are very popular with both retirees and couples with pre-schoolers so August/September is normally busy.

45 minutes ago, NSWP said:

That is the end of the May 2022 Coral Princess Worldie then, the ship will not even come here. And here was Uncle Les waiting in the wings to book Sydney to Dover. Plenty of cabins now.

I agree that the May 2022 World Cruise is very unlikely to go ahead. I have booked on 2023 as a back-up.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that the May 2022 World Cruise is very unlikely to go ahead. I have booked on 2023 as a back-up.

I would book that as a halfie, but not sure if I will still be alive. Not real well.

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am sorry to hear you are not well ☹️. All the best.

Heart, AF, hypertension, prostrate, diabetes, gout, coeliac is a mere intrusion, you name it, I have it. My GP reckons I am a dead man walking. But I hope to have one last cruise, a biggy, 50 grand worth.

Thank you for your concerns my lovely.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Heart, AF, hypertension, prostrate, diabetes, gout, you name it, I have it. My GP reckons I am a dead man walking. But I hope to have one last cruise, a biggy, 50 grand worth.

I'm also sorry to hear you're not well. A long cruise might be just what the doctor (should have) ordered.