Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Perhaps for all cruising Julie. Travel insurance is my main concern other than passengers and crew being vaccinated about going on a cruise.

You got it in one - that's my thinking also. Many people who say they will be on the first ship to sail haven't even thought of travel insurance - likely they never do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I was listening to that dr Norman swan on the ABC .

he said that they are researching for older people in Australia will get the 2 AZ shots and a booster Pfizer one when it’s more available.

Its believed a combination will be very effective.

Plus a good bottle of Shiraz.   just to be sure......

Must admit   .. at the point of taking cruising off the holiday list....  Time for more Shiraz...

Don

Edited by getting older slowly

16 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Princess updated their website for cancellations a few hours ago but nothing new for Australian cruises.

Leigh

Thanks you the update Leigh

It is interesting that some of the cancelled cruises as within 90 day window,   you would  think they would  have the decency to cancel them before final payment...or did these cruises have a 60 day before final payment

Also one as seen of CC the suggested time frame to get ship ready is about 90 days..

Now waiting for the Australian season to be cancelled....instead of hold funds for the if, maybe, once in a blue moon cruise booked

Cheers Don

5 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Now waiting for the Australian season to be cancelled....instead of hold funds for the if, maybe, once in a blue moon cruise booked

I am in the same boat (pun intended) as you. One concern I have is, how long can the big 4 keep delaying the re-start of cruising before they run out of money? 🤔

21 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Thanks you the update Leigh

It is interesting that some of the cancelled cruises as within 90 day window,   you would  think they would  have the decency to cancel them before final payment...or did these cruises have a 60 day before final payment

Also one as seen of CC the suggested time frame to get ship ready is about 90 days..

Cheers Don

I think Princess is still offering 60 day prior final payment dates. At least the ones I have booked are 60 days.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

I am in the same boat (pun intended) as you. One concern I have is, how long can the big 4 keep delaying the re-start of cruising before they run out of money? 🤔

About another year or two. Someone posted an interesting video about the cruise industry and how they shut down. Carnival started with US$8 billion in reserve cash and have halved their operating costs. The others don't have quite as much in comparison but they also have lower operating costs in general. 

The US senate is pushing for a relaxation of the silly law that makes a ship stop at a foreign port.

I think this could be bad news for us. If our government is going to be so unreasonable the ships may stay away.

After the Alaska season they may just move to California.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25000-2021-alaska-cruise-season-may-be-saved-as-senate-passes-key-bill.html

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The US senate is pushing for a relaxation of the silly law that makes a ship stop at a foreign port.

I think this could be bad news for us. If our government is going to be so unreasonable the ships may stay away.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25000-2021-alaska-cruise-season-may-be-saved-as-senate-passes-key-bill.html

Please explain why any of this US business will be a problem for us.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Well if our government is difficult to deal with ,as in allowing a restart in cruises ,International travel and also theres a article that they will want the ships to have Australian crew.

The cruise line’s will take their ships somewhere else for better profits.
It has already happen with Florida,some ships have been pulled out and home ported on Carribean Islands.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

If they relax the PVSA,West coast USA cruises would be attractive to the cruise lines.

American   is a bigger market than Australia.

On 5/12/2021 at 11:37 AM, dandtgeddes said:

Gidday fellow cruisers-in-waiting 😉

I have our March 2020 trip rebooked for March 2022, what do you reckon, should I stop looking at Sydney hotels now?

TraceyG 🙂

Most likely, unless you book with the ability to get a refund if cancelled the day before your stay.

We have two cruises booked on Royal Princess in March 2022 and I'm not expecting these to eventuate. I also have a December 2021 New Zealand cruise from Sydney booked on Celebrity and again I'm expecting this to be cancelled.

Tania

On 5/12/2021 at 3:40 PM, possum52 said:

Perhaps for all cruising Julie. Travel insurance is my main concern other than passengers and crew being vaccinated about going on a cruise. As it is 6 months to our next cruise I looked at Insure and Go recently (our usual travel insurer). We usually have chosen their cruise cover. On their website, you can only choose domestic flights to be covered. 

Leigh

We have used our ANZ credit card insurance for overseas travel. They unfortunately do not cover COVID-19 related cancellations.

Tania

• Like 1

Singapore is going into a month long lockdown because of growing unexplained Covid numbers.

Reduction in gathering sizes.

Some differing commentary on the impact on cruises. But they seem to be continuing.

• Like 1

From Singapore Cruise Society fb page regarding Quantum (similar to Sea Dreams):

In an email sent to guests sailing between 17 May 2021 - 13 June 2021, the cruise line has stepped up and tightened its measures as the Singapore Government announced the "Phase 2 - Heightened Alert" restrictions due to a recent rise in local COVID-19 infections ashore.
[ Enhanced measures on Quantum of the Seas from 17 May 2021 - 13 June 2021 ]
■ Reducing guest capacity to 25%, group sizes to 2, thus allowing at least 16 sqm of distancing per guest in public venues.
■ Restaurants will be closed, guests are able to enjoy room service with main dining room selections. Takeaway will also be offered from several restaurants.
■ Capacity for live entertainment shows will be reduced to maximum of 50 guests and live singing will not be available.
■ Permitted onboard activities, like those in SeaPlex, Activity Zone and Pool Zone, will continue to operate at reduced capacity and with enhanced social distancing measures.
■ Masks will be required in the indoor pool.

49 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

From Singapore Cruise Society fb page regarding Quantum (similar to Sea Dreams):

In an email sent to guests sailing between 17 May 2021 - 13 June 2021, the cruise line has stepped up and tightened its measures as the Singapore Government announced the "Phase 2 - Heightened Alert" restrictions due to a recent rise in local COVID-19 infections ashore.
[ Enhanced measures on Quantum of the Seas from 17 May 2021 - 13 June 2021 ]
■ Reducing guest capacity to 25%, group sizes to 2, thus allowing at least 16 sqm of distancing per guest in public venues.
■ Restaurants will be closed, guests are able to enjoy room service with main dining room selections. Takeaway will also be offered from several restaurants.
■ Capacity for live entertainment shows will be reduced to maximum of 50 guests and live singing will not be available.
■ Permitted onboard activities, like those in SeaPlex, Activity Zone and Pool Zone, will continue to operate at reduced capacity and with enhanced social distancing measures.
■ Masks will be required in the indoor pool.

Thanks Adrian. That doesn't sound like a great, relaxing cruise. 

Leigh

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I wouldn't get too excited. Exceptions to the PVSA has only happened once in its history, on top of that so far no cruise line in the USA has been willing to comply with CDC conditional sailing rules. I reckon this is just a political stunt🙄

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It has already happen with Florida,some ships have been pulled out and home ported on Carribean Islands.

I doubt that will last. Too many Americans cruise without a passport.

56 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I wouldn't get too excited. Exceptions to the PVSA has only happened once in its history, on top of that so far no cruise line in the USA has been willing to comply with CDC conditional sailing rules. I reckon this is just a political stunt🙄

I doubt that will last. Too many Americans cruise without a passport.

And some Americans cruise without travel insurance too, I have met a few of them on the ships, thinking Uncle Sam will look after them, wrong !!

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Adrian. That doesn't sound like a great, relaxing cruise. 

Leigh

Agree, no way would I spend my money booking that ship. Uncle Les would not be able to even perform his Karaoke at 10pm after a few sherbets, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And some Americans cruise without travel insurance too, I have met a few of them on the ships, thinking Uncle Sam will look after them, wrong !!

To be fair the USA medical system is the most expensive in the world so they probably find the cost overseas to be cheap as chips😜. Though being serious I have read a few threads around CC concerning travel insurance and it seems American travel insurance is super expensive and doesn't really cover much so it doesn't surprise me there are many Americans who as they call it "self insure" (pay the cost of whatever the issue is when needed) 

18 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

To be fair the USA medical system is the most expensive in the world so they probably find the cost overseas to be cheap as chips😜. Though being serious I have read a few threads around CC concerning travel insurance and it seems American travel insurance is super expensive and doesn't really cover much so it doesn't surprise me there are many Americans who as they call it "self insure" (pay the cost of whatever the issue is when needed) 

For being half a world away, you seem to know quite a bit about life here in the USA.

Your comments about our travel insurance based on your CC authorities statements is quite telling too, just ..."to be fair".

Edited by 1980dory
spelling error

2 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Your comments about our travel insurance based on your CC authorities statements is quite telling too, just ..."to be fair".

There was a particular thread that was discussing travel insurance and lot of of USA posters were listing the cost of their insurance and especially the medical coverage and even after currency conversion comparing the insurance in Australia to me our coverage is much better. Even UK posters weighed in and their deals were much better I thought.