Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Not sure regarding cruising in the rest of the world, but certainly not this year. 

I am going suggest in AU, Spring 2021 closed loop cruises. Not sure about cruises like Celebrity seemed to have plenty of these couple of seasons. e.g. AKL-SYD etc, and re positioning. TBH, the complication of air travel and cruising, as we had booked this April for Solstice has put me off this combo again. Dealing with both an airline and cruise line, plus accommodation for refunds (who knows if we will all get our refunds of FFC's?) has added another layer of stress to the whole thing. 

Would I fly to ASIA to cruise? Not a snowballs chance in hell.

Perhaps the cruise lines could help themselves in future by being more transparent about passengers financial options should they self declare feeling unwell within say 72 hrs of embarkation and free treatment on board if they self declare becoming ill with flu like symptoms. Possibly cruise lines are financially generous in these instances, but I am not aware of how it works. And the self serve buffet needs to go. Perhaps passengers who fly internationally will need to spend x number of days on land before the ship allows them to board?

Unfortunately, the longer this goes on, I feel that many peoples financial sufferings will leave them in a position where they are unable to afford flying or cruising anywhere for at least 3-5 years. 

Gosh I miss dreaming about my next couple of cruises. Along with many others of us here I am sure. 

1 minute ago, ELep said:

Gosh I miss dreaming about my next couple of cruises. Along with many others of us here I am sure. 

Yep!!!  thats were the Virus really gets us it takes away our dreams ,,, Darn it

Regards

John

• Like 2

Not a chance with official gloating they have turned away 750.000 tons of shipping  tonight ...memories are not going to be short ,they will NOT be back 

Oh dear Cruising is Finished ...for a while at least... Sorry

John

they will not be back until 2023 if that  , I don't think they would get enough people to fill 1 ship a week now , this has destroyed the cruise industry in Australia and  the world  .. woohooo  .  misses wont be happy but I am.. woohoo  what a victory ..  I see they are trying to get a class action against the cruise ship .. this is one time I back the cruise ship . they knew this virus was spreading they watched what happen on the diamond and still went fully knowing that anybody on that ships could have it.. so cruise at there won risk , no compo for people who put themselves in harms way .   its just sad tho that some lost there lives , no matter my opinion I wouldn't like anybody to die from this virus  be it on land or the cruise ships .

21 hours ago, lyndarra said:

The have an election coming up this year i think. From when I was last in NZ in Feb this year, the Jacinda government seemed to be on the nose. This event may save it possibly? Interesting times ahead for NZ politics.

21 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The NZ Govt had already announced a humongous spend on infrastructure when this is all over .......yet to see if good intentions can be delivered.

There are rumours that the election may be postponed this year . Under the state of emergency declared , our Parliament has been closed and we are being governed by a committee made up of all parties . It’s quite interesting as the meetings are  being conducted via zoom and beamed out on the web . 

18 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

So my spy in NSW transport said he thinks they will build both the opinions at botany.

With a train service.

16CAB1DD-056B-4D4D-9E86-8BB592C569D7.thumb.png.a74a9e49e616d7a2ab3b85db865c8e7d.png

There is a greater chance of Botany cruise terminal being built now to rebuild our economy and encourage the cruise lines to come back. Our government will really need to eat its humble pie to encourage the lines to come back. A terminal in Botany Bay is the way to go and a sensible peace offering to entice the cruise lines to return. 

I will be writing to my local MP's State and Federal this week to express my disappointment about how the government treated the Ruby Princess and Pacific Explorer. I will be outlining the benefits cruising brings to our economy and the joy it brings to peoples lives. I will now include in that letter my support for a cruise terminal in Botany Bay to help rebuild the economy, give Australians jobs, and entice cruise lines to return. It is a win win for all sides.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

they will not be back until 2023 if that  , I don't think they would get enough people to fill 1 ship a week now , this has destroyed the cruise industry in Australia and  the world  .. woohooo  .  misses wont be happy but I am.. woohoo  what a victory ..  I see they are trying to get a class action against the cruise ship .. this is one time I back the cruise ship . they knew this virus was spreading they watched what happen on the diamond and still went fully knowing that anybody on that ships could have it.. so cruise at there won risk , no compo for people who put themselves in harms way .   its just sad tho that some lost there lives , no matter my opinion I wouldn't like anybody to die from this virus  be it on land or the cruise ships .

After being locked up in home prison for 6 months or longer people will be dying to book their first holiday and the ships will sell out instantly. They will be back. The class action will fail against the cruise lines. Now that the government has been exposed I dare say the lawyers will redirect their lawsuit against the NSW government. They have a better chance of getting a bigger payout and more compensation from a government than risk putting a cruise line out of business and getting nothing.

1 minute ago, DiamondFour said:

There is a greater chance of Botany cruise terminal being built now to rebuild our economy and encourage the cruise lines to come back. Our government will really need to eat its humble pie to encourage the lines to come back. A terminal in Botany Bay is the way to go and a sensible peace offering to entice the cruise lines to return. 

I will be writing to my local MP's State and Federal this week to express my disappointment about how the government treated the Ruby Princess and Pacific Explorer. I will be outlining the benefits cruising brings to our economy and the joy it brings to peoples lives. I will now include in that letter my support for a cruise terminal in Botany Bay to help rebuild the economy, give Australians jobs, and entice cruise lines to return. It is a win win for all sides.

Sydney needs more port space,even without the cruise industry.

It could be multiple use .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

How wrong you are on so many points.

• they will be back before 2023,
  • the cruises will sell just like before, the demand may even be higher due to not having had a cruise for so long.
  • I do not see how this is a victory in any sense, you must be heartless to inflict suffering on so many people (sickness and deaths) just to see cruise ships leave the shores.

The only thing you are right about is the class action having no grounds for a win, but they may well be compensated if it gets up.

• Like 1

wishfull thinkers on here don't hold ya breath it wont be back here for ages .  wont even be going to start up in most countries either . the first mention of any virus and everybody will cancel  nobody is going to want to go thru this nightmare again on cruise ships ,  so don't think it will start up for a hell of a long time..   if ya get itchy dry feet and need to get on the water , I can take you;s on my boat I can fit ten on it . ill be going out next week ill take a few pics of the ruby for you's  ill going looking for her 

8 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

wishfull thinkers on here don't hold ya breath it wont be back here for ages .  wont even be going to start up in most countries either . the first mention of any virus and everybody will cancel  nobody is going to want to go thru this nightmare again on cruise ships ,  so don't think it will start up for a hell of a long time..   if ya get itchy dry feet and need to get on the water , I can take you;s on my boat I can fit ten on it . ill be going out next week ill take a few pics of the ruby for you's  ill going looking for her 

It's not named the S.S. Minnow is it? 

9 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

Rod old mate.

I would like to thank you and your mates for giving a few hours of recreation each week  in Yarra bay and letting it being transformed into a cruise port, a industrial port.
‘It’s a noble and selfless act.

Just think of the employment for your fellow country men and women.

When you sit back and see those huge Royal Caribbean ships coming into port.You can say to your self.This is for my mates on cruise critic.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

Breaking the rules, no thank you, we are supposed to be at home unless it is essential work. 

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The entire world is working on vaccines,anti virus treatments .They have a river of money and experience.

It won’t be long before we have something to slow it and then stop.

I have my doubts about that. I was just reading the story of the Ebola vaccine and from inception to finished product took over a decade even with all the fast tracking during the epidemic. Ebola was already known so there was a head start whereas this Novel Coronavirus there is so little known about it. I would a love a vaccine soon but I'm starting to think we are a long way off. 

4 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have my doubts about that. I was just reading the story of the Ebola vaccine and from inception to finished product took over a decade even with all the fast tracking during the epidemic. Ebola was already known so there was a head start whereas this Novel Coronavirus there is so little known about it. I would a love a vaccine soon but I'm starting to think we are a long way off. 

For what its worth my local GP said with confidence that a vaccine will be developed. Also from what I am seeing in the news there are rapid drugs being tested that could rid the virus from your system within days.

Lets pin our hopes on a combination of factors. Vaccines, drugs to eradicate it, cure it, quick response tests, immunity certificates. It won't be long before things return to normal. With instant test results you could board a plane or ship and just have the fingerprick test before you board and clear you. Temperature checks. Time will tell. It will work. The added bonus is that airlines may have to give us more legroom in the future.

8 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

This coronavirus is the same species as the earlier SARS from 2002, but a new strain. This SARS coronavirus was also identified by the WHO as the likely cause of a future epidemic - as has been borne out - so was recommended for research. While there wasn't a vaccine in place they did have a head start on this due to previous research.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

How wrong you are on so many points.

• they will be back before 2023,
  • the cruises will sell just like before, the demand may even be higher due to not having had a cruise for so long.
  • I do not see how this is a victory in any sense, you must be heartless to inflict suffering on so many people (sickness and deaths) just to see cruise ships leave the shores.

The only thing you are right about is the class action having no grounds for a win, but they may well be compensated if it gets up.

that's a bit of double standards isn't it...

you's are willing to support the destruction of the last indigenous beach still in use by them today with thousands of yrs history to them ,  destroy a whole ecosystem  of marine wildlife dolphins and seal habitat reefs etc,  dredge up that cancer causing pfas that will spread thru  the whole bay,  just for a cruise terminal but im heartless hey,  what about having a bit of a heart for those indigenous communities that have seen there beaches destroy bit by bit and now the last remaining  one they have in botany bay was under threat..  like I said double standard .  now im going to lay the boot even more into the cruise ships and entice others to do the same.. 

you all might as well face the facts there will be no cruising in aus and many other countries in the world after this great big mess . for min 2yrs ..  slightest mention of another virus and there goes that industry again .. 

Edited by in rod we trust

3 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

don't email them write to them on toilet paper roll so at least they can do something useful with  your letter lol

Edited by in rod we trust

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Breaking the rules, no thank you, we are supposed to be at home unless it is essential work. 

I can at least still go fishing which is good , not to mention I have been taking my 3 old cars out at night getting a feed .. drive right into Sydney city and surrounding suburbs the cars love the open air and no traffic feels amazing to drive on the roads without traffic , although last night newtown and city was packed out with those delivery uber drivers or what ever company they are never seen so many in my life , there were about 150 of them at least maybe more from enmore to broadway ..  

27 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

that's a bit of double standards isn't it...

you's are willing to support the destruction of the last indigenous beach still in use by them today with thousands of yrs history to them ,  destroy a whole ecosystem  of marine wildlife dolphins and seal habitat reefs etc,  dredge up that cancer causing pfas that will spread thru  the whole bay,  just for a cruise terminal but im heartless hey,  what about having a bit of a heart for those indigenous communities that have seen there beaches destroy bit by bit and now the last remaining  one they have in botany bay was under threat..  like I said double standard .  now im going to lay the boot even more into the cruise ships and entice others to do the same.. 

you all might as well face the facts there will be no cruising in aus and many other countries in the world after this great big mess . for min 2yrs ..  slightest mention of another virus and there goes that industry again .. 

What about relocating Yarra bay sailing club and your mates to North Bourke?

Theres a bridge there.

Edited by Chiliburn

40 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

I can at least still go fishing which is good , not to mention I have been taking my 3 old cars out at night getting a feed .. drive right into Sydney city and surrounding suburbs the cars love the open air and no traffic feels amazing to drive on the roads without traffic , although last night newtown and city was packed out with those delivery uber drivers or what ever company they are never seen so many in my life , there were about 150 of them at least maybe more from enmore to broadway ..  

I suppose there will always be some who think they are above the lockdown rules. Sort of proves a point, you know.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

This coronavirus is the same species as the earlier SARS from 2002, but a new strain. This SARS coronavirus was also identified by the WHO as the likely cause of a future epidemic - as has been borne out - so was recommended for research. While there wasn't a vaccine in place they did have a head start on this due to previous research.

That would definitely help but I think overall vaccine development is so complex it is still probably a long way off. With the Ebola vaccine apparently it took a whole year just to prepare the proteins for the delivery mechanism of the vaccine. Some processes can be rushed but some need to be done at the slow tedious pace that is required. I think we will develop better testing before we get a vaccine so hopefully that will make life easier. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I suppose there will always be some who think they are above the lockdown rules. Sort of proves a point, you know.

Delivery drivers picking up takeaway meals from restaurants is permitted, and helps keep those restaurants from going out of business as well as providing meals for people who don't want to cook.