Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

7 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

would of been nice if the cruising community did that after the diamond  but oh no lets get more ships in Sydney and go on more cruisers.  now they all want gov to rescue them from all around the world , that's fine so long as they the crusiers pay for it out of there back pocket ..  cruising in sydny and Australia . wont be happening for yrs and yrs .  

Rod

I was just listening to Rob Stokes,the NSW planning minister in a interview.

He was talking about fast tracking state significant projects to boost the economy so we can hit the ground running when all this is over.

He mentioned a few projects and one was your cruise port.

Rod isn’t that FABULOUS.

Cutting all that red tape and green tape.Lets just do it.

It just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling and proud of our government.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Rod

He was talking about fast tracking state significant projects to boost the economy so we can hit the ground running when all this is over.

Rod isn’t that FABULOUS.

Indeed lets get that new Port Botany Cruise Terminal up and running, with a 10,000  bed ICU unit built next door to it.  We could have State Lottery to fund both, like we had for the Opera House.  Opera House Lottery, ran for years $6 a ticket from memory, bought a few of those.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Rod

Rod isn’t that FABULOUS.

lmfao your trying hard to get me to bite on your posts , wont happen buddy keep trying 

only 1 thing I will say if the port botany goes ahead doubt it very much but at least on the bright side for you cruisers is you wont have to be carted to far to get buried , lol  graveyard is right in sight so they can just wheel you's over and dump you's in a big hole  lol

Edited by in rod we trust

4 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

lmfao your trying hard to get me to bite on your posts , wont happen buddy keep trying 

When I’m at those sail away parties on those big Royal Carribean ships .

I’ll raise my martini glass in the direction where Yarra bay sailing club used to be.

Just now, Chiliburn said:

When I’m at those sail away parties on those big Royal Carribean ships .

I’ll raise my martini glass in the direction where Yarra bay sailing club used to be.

The party has started,

Love the Yarra Bay Sailing Club, plenty of liquid lunches there back then.safe_image.gif.a1f0d189f2dcddcf654749f20959b890.gif

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Indeed lets get that new Port Botany Cruise Terminal up and running, with a 10,000  bed ICU unit built next door to it.  We could have State Lottery to fund both, like we had for the Opera House.  Opera House Lottery, ran for years $6 a ticket from memory, bought a few of those.

Don’t need a ICU.
There’s plenty of refrigerated shipping containers on site

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 7:33 PM, VK3DQ said:

Hi Folks

After we find "The Cure" for the virus it will take time to spread the cure around the world , it will take a great deal of time before some nation states allow cruise ships in their waters ... I think we all must prepare for the news of a number of cruise lines going broke .  Fred Olsen , Saga , just a couple that spring to mind ....any other candidates you can think of??

Regards

John

Not sure whether this announcement today is good or bad!

The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia today a reported an 8.2% stake in Carnival Corporation in a filing, sending Carnival stock surging more than 25 percent.

The Public Investment Fund is the sovereign wealth fund of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The fund disclosed they now own over 43 million Carnival Corp. shares in a filing.

13 minutes ago, Ondine said:

The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia today a reported an 8.2% stake in Carnival Corporation in a filing, sending Carnival stock surging more than 25 percent.

The Public Investment Fund is the sovereign wealth fund of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The fund disclosed they now own over 43 million Carnival Corp. shares in a filing.

Very interesting news.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

100,000 pound prize, 5 pound per ticket if I recall. One unfortunate side effect of the lottery was the Graeme Thorne kidnapping. I was 15 when our next door neighbours, late 20's from memory, won it. At the time I couldn't understand why they still went to work, a few years and inflation changed my mind. 🙂

Edited by Russell21

56 minutes ago, Ondine said:

That explains the jump this morning.

58 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I'd say it's 'interesting' given the US administration's close ties with S.A. and its royal family. De facto government assistance?

19 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

100,000 pound prize, 5 pound per ticket if I recall. One unfortunate side effect of the lottery was the Graeme Thorne kidnapping. I was 15 when our next door neighbours, late 20's from memory, won it. At the time I couldn't understand why they still went to work, a few years and inflation changed my mind. 🙂

I am only a 'young dinosaur' I only remember the Opera House Lottery as $200,000 first prize and $6 ticket.  I only arrived in the 'colony' by convict ship in mid 66.  (1866 or 1966, I cannot remember.)🤣

Yes I have read plenty on the Grahame Thorne kidnapping/murder, it put a few people of the day off buying lottery tickets.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Opera House Lottery, ran for years $6 a ticket from memory, bought a few of those.

You brought back memories for me with this. I recall an Opera House Lottery Ticket was very often the wager for a bet. I can recall "I'll bet you an Opera House Lottery Ticket" was often the way a dispute was settled, pretty much on any subject. My old Dad was involved many times. No on-line buying then. Down to the barbers to order the ticket & then wait several days & then back to collect it & then wait for the results in the paper.

A good friend of mine won the lottery as a result of a bet on a Rugby League game - she brought her Mum a car (used, not new) with part of her prize.

Who's up for a Port Botany Cruise Terminal Lottery Ticket 🙂

13 minutes ago, mr walker said:

You brought back memories for me with this. I recall an Opera House Lottery Ticket was very often the wager for a bet. I can recall "I'll bet you an Opera House Lottery Ticket" was often the way a dispute was settled, pretty much on any subject. My old Dad was involved many times. No on-line buying then. Down to the barbers to order the ticket & then wait several days & then back to collect it & then wait for the results in the paper.

A good friend of mine won the lottery as a result of a bet on a Rugby League game - she brought her Mum a car (used, not new) with part of her prize.

But in 1966-67 $6 was a lot of money.  Basic lottery ticket was 55 cents from memory, then there was the $2 jackpot ticket. We used to play for lottery tickets on golf days.   Now in 1967 a schooner of Tooheys New at St George Leagues Club or Yarra Bay Sailing Club was 10C.  One could get well oiled for a buck, 10 schooies was a nice drink back then.  Anyway, send me a dozen Port Botany Cruise Terminal Lottery Tickets, I will give them to the kids and grandkids instead of Easter Eggs.

So there endeth today's history lesson folks.  Stay safe, it is a jungle out there.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I'm in of course I don't have a vested interest at all.

Did'nt they build the new Parliament House out of the ACT State Lottery Mic or was it the Southern Cross Yacht Club ? 😁

Edited by NSWP

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Did'nt they build the new Parliament House out of the ACT State Lottery Mic or was it the Southern Cross Yacht Club ? 😁

I'm feeling out of the loop a bit on this, but I chuckle at these little mini thread breaks back trolling an angry fisherman....nice

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm feeling out of the loop a bit on this, but I chuckle at these little mini thread breaks back trolling an angry fisherman....nice

We are known to go off topic or thread hijack, now and then, which is every day. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

Doesn't make much difference - unless you're a Carnival shareholder, or Exec.

40 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Doesn't make much difference - unless you're a Carnival shareholder, or Exec.

or perhaps a keen cruiser anxious for some prospect that someone. somewhere, even a Saudi, thinks that perhaps cruising will continue as a viable business in the future after this is all over??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

I remember my mum driving a group of friends down to Sydney from the Hawkesbury.

in her brand new XW falcon.

We went somewhere and bought a heap of tickets (it was a place of madness) and then went to Anthony Hordens.