Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Simple answer - COVID test then quarantine before they can work on a ship. You can see that I am keen for answers. 🙂

And the gubberment would have to allow them in. How would that go with all the hostile press lately?

Alright so today society is descending into chaos. Checkout staff abused and reduced to tears, chemist staff punched in the face and spat at. Attacks against Asian background people. The stress is obviously getting to society.

I am wondering how much further society will plunge before things get better. Will we see civil unrest, will see riots and communities taking back the streets and forcing the police and emergency services to retreat, will see killing sprees of chinese looking people.

The media is painting a picture of doom and gloom above. The media is saying get used to this, things will never be the same again. If a vaccine is never found we will be living like this forever.

To be honest I don't want to think of a world where that will happen. Is anyone else seriously thinking that we will see cruise ships back here again this year?

I think not. I think with sham criminal investigations, state premiers telling ships to leave and never come back, border force ganging up on them and lawsuits that the companies will err on the side of caution and not send ships back to Australia for a long time. That is how I am reading the situation.

I am also thinking that for cruising to resume it will need to be international.

That being said I cannot see international borders being reopened this year.

Does anyone else see this scenario as a possibility?

On 4/1/2020 at 7:45 AM, MicCanberra said:

Strange how Diamond Princess has it's own category rather than be part of Japan's. While Ruby's are all part of Australia's tally

Maybe because Diamond was in on board quarantine and Ruby was allowed to spill out into the general population in Australia

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiamondFour said:

Alright so today society is descending into chaos. Checkout staff abused and reduced to tears, chemist staff punched in the face and spat at. Attacks against Asian background people. The stress is obviously getting to society.

I am wondering how much further society will plunge before things get better. Will we see civil unrest, will see riots and communities taking back the streets and forcing the police and emergency services to retreat, will see killing sprees of chinese looking people.

The media is painting a picture of doom and gloom above. The media is saying get used to this, things will never be the same again. If a vaccine is never found we will be living like this forever.

To be honest I don't want to think of a world where that will happen. Is anyone else seriously thinking that we will see cruise ships back here again this year?

I think not. I think with sham criminal investigations, state premiers telling ships to leave and never come back, border force ganging up on them and lawsuits that the companies will err on the side of caution and not send ships back to Australia for a long time. That is how I am reading the situation.

I am also thinking that for cruising to resume it will need to be international.

If we don’t understand by now that we have an invisible indiscriminate incredibly infectious killer out there - yes it does kill healthy children adolescents in fact every age group and all we need to do is stay safe and minimise risk so our hospitals can cope and save lives until maybe and only maybe we can kill this thing What a small sacrifice to make for humanity.

We cruise a lot and dodged a bullet on a three day Ruby cruise to nowhere early Feb  . It was a great little cruise on a great ship.

We originally booked it as a great seque  so we could jump on Majestic to Singapore the next day on the 12th Feb like many of you Micanberra NSWP chezNandy to name a few frequent posters. Sadly I cancelled Majestic  due to work issues and it terminated in Freo anyway. But in retrospect was it a cautious  move by Princess or maybe Singapore was going to close to cruise ships disembarking by arrival time so the most economical port to terminate was Freo anyway given the huge Aussie contingent on board 

We love cruising but not enough to risk a life - as bad as noro is THIS  one can kill you, your loved one and countless innocent strangers. 

We have witnessed cruises embarking at all costs only stopping when governments closed ports and even then embarking with modified itineraries when the risk was

great. 

In spite of the “increased safety measures ““ promised was there any real effective screening ever done 

... ever ???

If I had a cruise line in this environment I would have ceased cruises immediately when covid appeared on Diamond to protect my guests my staff and my reputation. I’ll bet my cruise line will be full to capacity when I declare it’s safe to resume. Right now I feel the potential monetary loss of voluntary cruise cancellations by most cruise lines took precedence over lives

I think we will resume cruising when we know we will “come back new” and not end up in a box . Let’s say vaccine O’clock

would be the right time

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think cruising will be back before the end of the year world wide.

I don’t know ?

The Saudi investment Fund just bought a heap of shares in carnival and now own a big chunk.

They must be pretty confident or have money to burn.

I must have missed something here ,there’s been some more cleaning? The op?

Edited by Chiliburn

11 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

Diamond Four, I can see that you have a great regard for Japanese culture and I share it, unfortunately your own words used in many of your posts where you rail against the chinese virus, could be seen as contributing to the likelihood of: "Attacks against Asian background people" and "will see killing sprees of chinese looking people" It is time for all to moderate their communication. Yes the virus originated in China, but continually referring to it as a Chinese virus or blaming the Chinese for it as you have done in other posts, feeds a need some people have to find a scapegoat. It isn't helpful.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nnps said:

Diamond Four, I can see that you have a great regard for Japanese culture and I share it, unfortunately your own words used in many of your posts where you rail against the chinese virus, could be seen as contributing to the likelihood of: "Attacks against Asian background people" and "will see killing sprees of chinese looking people" It is time for all to moderate their communication. Yes the virus originated in China, but continually referring to it as a Chinese virus or blaming the Chinese for it as you have done in other posts, feeds a need some people have to find a scapegoat. It isn't helpful.

I agree. Asian xenophobia could also backfire and affect those of Japanese origin as most westerners can't tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Korean.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I agree. Asian xenophobia could also backfire and affect those of Japanese origin as most westerners can't tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Korean.

That is what I am worried about as I am often out with Japanese people regularly when this crisis is not on. There are some goons in this country who cannot tell the difference.

I have lost all faith in humanity and no longer feel proud to be Australian seeing all that this has done to our society, the reactions, the abuse, the hoarders and now the attacks on cruise ships which I will defend vigorously.

10 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

That is what I am worried about as I am often out with Japanese people regularly when this crisis is not on. There are some goons in this country who cannot tell the difference.

I have lost all faith in humanity and no longer feel proud to be Australian seeing all that this has done to our society, the reactions, the abuse, the hoarders and now the attacks on cruise ships which I will defend vigorously.

If you're looking for the bad in humanity you will certainly find it. Try looking for the good, it will far outweigh the bad.

• Like 2

To me, I think many of you are being way too optimistic of when cruising will begin again. I understand the keenness & would love for things to return to somewhere near what existed before the current crisis.

- I can't see that mass market cruising can resume prior to availability of a mass vaccine

- I see that cruiselines will require proof of vaccination & a medical certificate for certain passengers, based on age & certain conditions

- ports will need to open, & some sort of certainty around access not being denied with late notice

- clarity around safe havens in the event of onboard outbreaks

- travel insurance will need to be clarified. This includes coverage for 'pandemics' & the need for this to be an escape clause for insurance companies

I, for one, can't imagine embarking on a cruise until these issues are settled. We have missed one cruise - due to have returned this morning on Voyager OTS. We have one booked and substantially paid for Oct, which I can't see us taking. We have deposit paid for another in April next year.

After 18 cruises (almost 200 nights at sea) in just 9 years it is sad to think that it may be a long wait for the next one, if ever.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mr walker said:

To me, I think many of you are being way too optimistic of when cruising will begin again. I understand the keenness & would love for things to return to somewhere near what existed before the current crisis.

- I can't see that mass market cruising can resume prior to availability of a mass vaccine

- I see that cruiselines will require proof of vaccination & a medical certificate for certain passengers, based on age & certain conditions

- ports will need to open, & some sort of certainty around access not being denied with late notice

- clarity around safe havens in the event of onboard outbreaks

- travel insurance will need to be clarified. This includes coverage for 'pandemics' & the need for this to be an escape clause for insurance companies

I, for one, can't imagine embarking on a cruise until these issues are settled. We have missed one cruise - due to have returned this morning on Voyager OTS. We have one booked and substantially paid for Oct, which I can't see us taking. We have deposit paid for another in April next year.

After 18 cruises (almost 200 nights at sea) in just 9 years it is sad to think that it may be a long wait for the next one, if ever.

Royal seems confident it will start around October.

Serenade as a example has scrapped most of the Alaska season and they are advertising the trans pacific and the Australian season .

If the virus is very well contained in Australia and the ships are heavily quarantined before and clean of the virus  . I can’t see a problem with a domestic cruise season .

We are talking 7-8 months,a week seems a long time 

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

One big problem is finding crew that are free of the virus because a lot come from developing countries with questionable standards

Unfortunately developing nations are going to struggle with flattening the curve. I expect the infection will still be going long after we have gotten it under control. Can't imagine we will open the border to those countries in the meantime. 

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Quarantine and testing before any new crew board the ship.

I was listening to some one on the coral princess.

Apparently the ship  hadn’t had contact with anyone for 20 days and all of a sudden just before Miami they had 6 cases and 2 died.

They have no idea where it come from ,maybe someone was careless.

It would have to be strick and thorough. Possibly if they flew crew in and quarantine them. Maybe Hamilton Island?

14 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Unfortunately developing nations are going to struggle with flattening the curve. I expect the infection will still be going long after we have gotten it under control. Can't imagine we will open the border to those countries in the meantime. 

My wife is stuck it the Philippines, If you’re caught on the street during curfew , the police are ordered to shoot to kill.

I might get rid of her.LOL

30 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was listening to some one on the coral princess.

Apparently the ship  hadn’t had contact with anyone for 20 days and all of a sudden just before Miami they had 6 cases and 2 died.

They have no idea where it come from ,maybe someone was careless.

It would have to be strick and thorough. Possibly if they flew crew in and quarantine them. Maybe Hamilton Island?

That's very sad. It seems that the symptoms are usually very mild in the beginning and things change rapidly at about the 10 day mark of illness (so that could be 14+10 days after having contact with anyone). So they must have had it on board without knowing. And that illustrates one of the reasons this damn thing is so very dangerous.

31 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

SARS there wasn’t a vaccine 

35 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I don’t think there will be a vaccine. 

It has started to sound as though that is a possibility with many people not developing antibodies after they've been infected.