P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You have a great deal more commonsense than Michelin, that is for sure. I had looked at their menu online a few days ago, and it is just about the most pretentious I have ever seen.

Ha! I don’t think the locals think a lot of it - they want ‘proper’ food!  Once we started giggling, we couldn’t stop. The poor waiters were so evangelical  and enthusiastic and thatmade it even worse. It was an experience, no doubt about it! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Ha! I don’t think the locals think a lot of it - they want ‘proper’ food!  Once we started giggling, we couldn’t stop. The poor waiters were so evangelical  and enthusiastic and thatmade it even worse. It was an experience, no doubt about it! 

We stayed at Bodsygallen Hall in your neck of the woods. The food at dinner was really excellent.

The afternoon tea was traditional and extremely substantial! We were served in the library as there was a group in the main area, really enjoyed it.

Had lots of really amazing meals in North Wales.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Could you share the biscuit recipe please, sounds absolutely lovely.

I like homemade lavender syrup, lovely mixed with sparkling water and ice as a summer soft drink. (In winter it’s a spiced syrup with hot cider).

@Eglesbrechphoto of the recipe for lavender biscuits is attached.

20220703_175828.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

You have a great deal more commonsense than Michelin, that is for sure. I had looked at their menu online a few days ago, and it is just about the most pretentious I have ever seen.

OMG 350 quid pp and if you die from allergy,tough luck.

6 hours ago, pete14 said:

Beautiful 10 course tasting menu at Lunar restaurant last night. Superb.

723A5194-AA9C-45F7-8EEF-9AEFBAE5BD6C.jpeg

26057FBF-B1A2-4C7A-BFF2-F16269A4BC6B.jpeg

62D4F927-2436-4C6C-92C0-F856F3911FD4.jpeg

702C4B3D-F8F4-4713-BEAD-BB50F29AAFFC.jpeg

Wow that looks amazing !!!! Not so sure about the Hungry Horse one though 😉

We had a meal at The Crown at Wrinehill last night, near Betley. It wasn't quite that standard but it is definately worth checking out if you live this end. 🙂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We had a meal at The Crown at Wrinehill last night, near Betley. It wasn't quite that standard but it is definately worth checking out if you live this end. 🙂

I have to agree about the Crown at Wrinehill I have eaten there several times and it has always been good.  If you don't mind a little drive out to the Northwich area I can also recommend The Spinner and Bergamot at Comberbach, we had a lovely family meal there last weekend.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

We stayed at Bodsygallen Hall in your neck of the woods. The food at dinner was really excellent.

The afternoon tea was traditional and extremely substantial! We were served in the library as there was a group in the main area, really enjoyed it.

Had lots of really amazing meals in North Wales.

I’ve also heard good things about this hotel, but it’s quite a distance from us. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Lunar is a rare indulgence. We booked the ‘chef’s table’ for 10 of us which had a great view into the kitchen. Lots of tweezers being used for bits of garnish but everything was so calm and orderly. Head Chef Niall Keating was not there but it really didn’t matter. Beef had been aged for 97 days, and tasted really good. Sweetbreads were something I never intended to eat but they were gorgeous. I still can’t believe it.

As for the Hungry Horse, at least it was cheap.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kalos said:

Out for a Sunday dinner at Doncaster again. Had the lamb hock which just fell off the bone. Had the place to ourselves today. 

20220703_123556.thumb.jpg.b14fc1b6c0d741afddb7519e582f0645.jpg20220703_122813.thumb.jpg.d7fdcb5cfa0863e9a8b22a3ba32f5d90.jpg

Do you think word got around the local community that you were going there today? The lamb looks nice but do I spy a Yorkshire pudding?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Could you share the biscuit recipe please, sounds absolutely lovely.

I like homemade lavender syrup, lovely mixed with sparkling water and ice as a summer soft drink. (In winter it’s a spiced syrup with hot cider).

I think this Lavender place has missed a trick, they sold lavender biscuits in the shop but I didn’t know if I’d like them. If they’d had some small pieces for tasting we might have bought some! We did buy some lavender ice cream in a tub . It was a delicate flavour and we liked it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Lunar is a rare indulgence. We booked the ‘chef’s table’ for 10 of us which had a great view into the kitchen. Lots of tweezers being used for bits of garnish but everything was so calm and orderly. Head Chef Niall Keating was not there but it really didn’t matter. Beef had been aged for 97 days, and tasted really good. Sweetbreads were something I never intended to eat but they were gorgeous. I still can’t believe it.

As for the Hungry Horse, at least it was cheap.

Now you've said it was sweetbreads it sort of paints a different picture .... ekkkkkkkkk

Have to ask what the dish was with the lattice whatever on top. It looked amazing

59 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Now you've said it was sweetbreads it sort of paints a different picture .... ekkkkkkkkk

Have to ask what the dish was with the lattice whatever on top. It looked amazing

The dish with the lattice was the second dessert. It was a sort of rhubarb, ginger and cardamom light mousse with lumps of rhubarb in it and with a gingerbread lattice on the top. It was extremely nice and the young girl who made it was delighted that we all enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I'm just concerned about whether or not we will get back across the Atlantic in time to make it into Guernsey the next day 🤣

If you are unable to dock in Guernsey, as seems rather common, it won’t matter.

8 hours ago, kalos said:

Out for a Sunday dinner at Doncaster again. Had the lamb hock which just fell off the bone. Had the place to ourselves today. 

20220703_123556.thumb.jpg.b14fc1b6c0d741afddb7519e582f0645.jpg20220703_122813.thumb.jpg.d7fdcb5cfa0863e9a8b22a3ba32f5d90.jpg

Earl of Doncaster I presume ?

The food looks great, but the atmosphere looks distinctly lacking. 

We want to eat out surrounded by people,  having a chat,  discussing our food.  

Not for us, I'm afraid.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Earl of Doncaster I presume ?

The food looks great, but the atmosphere looks distinctly lacking. 

We want to eat out surrounded by people,  having a chat,  discussing our food.  

Not for us, I'm afraid.

The place had plenty in the bar later we were there early. A bit like Harry  it was ideal for us,last thing we  need is crowds. Each to their own circumstances I suppose. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

The place had plenty in the bar later we were there early. A bit like Harry  it was ideal for us,last thing we  need is crowds. Each to their own circumstances I suppose. 

I agree,you and Harry are vulnerable and in different circumstances from Wowzz and me.At least you're getting out and about.The new variant is rife at the mo and the symptoms are more unpleasant.We caught it in May and it was just like a common cold.Friends and relos recently have caught it and it aint good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I agree,you and Harry are vulnerable and in different circumstances from Wowzz and me.At least you're getting out and about.The new variant is rife at the mo and the symptoms are more unpleasant.We caught it in May and it was just like a common cold.Friends and relos recently have caught it and it aint good.

Listened to a professor from Exeter Uni (I think🤔) yesterday, who was saying that the vaccines are helping somewhat with this new variant, but not as effective, so to take extra care.

Sis

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Listened to a professor from Exeter Uni (I think🤔) yesterday, who was saying that the vaccines are helping somewhat with this new variant, but not as effective, so to take extra care.

Sis

Hi sis,I didn't mean to scaremonger,just saying the symptoms are a bit more uncomfortable at the mo but recovery in a few days for the majority.Cheers,bro.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi sis,I didn't mean to scaremonger,just saying the symptoms are a bit more uncomfortable at the mo but recovery in a few days for the majority.Cheers,bro.

You're not scaremongering at all bro, merely saying what most already know. Finally managed to book our spring boosters at last, but not until July 16th, so they're busy.

Sis

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You're not scaremongering at all bro, merely saying what most already know. Finally managed to book our spring boosters at last, but not until July 16th, so they're busy.

Sis

Not 70 until October sis,although they might lower the age.I think our infection back in May is a bit like an unofficial booster,but do they tweek the boosters to take in the latest variants,bro.