Jobs savaged in travel

7 minutes ago, subaru94 said:

With the Government stimulus in Australia announced last night for businesses, will this help the travel industry?

Possibly, it would depend on the structure of the set up. Eg Franchise and how that's structured. I know it assists our company (not in travel) immensely. It's an amazing package. 

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Possibly, it would depend on the structure of the set up. Eg Franchise and how that's structured. I know it assists our company (not in travel) immensely. It's an amazing package. 

Yes think it will save a lot of companies going under. 

8 hours ago, subaru94 said:

With the Government stimulus in Australia announced last night for businesses, will this help the travel industry?

Not so much. It helps with salary cost, but for businesses that have lost consumer demand (principally hospitality, street retail and travel) it's not going to keep revenue coming in, so they'll still run losses against other costs and essentially need to shut down.

8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Not so much. It helps with salary cost, but for businesses that have lost consumer demand (principally hospitality, street retail and travel) it's not going to keep revenue coming in, so they'll still run losses against other costs and essentially need to shut down.

Yes, there isn't income coming in at all. It does help pay salary costs in trying to keep employees around. We had planned to dig into our cash reserves to keep one person on but there will be no profit for us this year. GST income for the Govt will vanish. Down the track, say January, the Govt coffers will be very thin meaning less revenue for every state. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 2:00 PM, NSWP said:

Good work, now you get the cheap 'stay alive pills'  and the Govt stimulus package handouts coming soon.  We have the CSHC too, god help me if we lose it one day, one monthly pack of my AF pills is $93 full price, currently $6.50 at the dinosaur price.🤐

That is one of my biggest fears that the US giant pharmaceutical companies will force changes to our CSHC (Is that its name?) when Aus does trade deals with US.

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That is one of my biggest fears that the US giant pharmaceutical companies will force changes to our CSHC (Is that its name?) when Aus does trade deals with US.

CSHC or CSHCC = Commonwealth Seniors Health (Care) Card.   For retirees self funded - with no pensioner concession card.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

CSHC or CSHCC = Commonwealth Seniors Health (Care) Card.   For retirees self funded - with no pensioner concession card.

Yes, I have one.  They are a godsend for seniors.  Good idea, keeps self funded retirees off the pension.  Although I prefer the NZ system, pensions for all.  

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, I have one.  They are a godsend for seniors.  Good idea, keeps self funded retirees off the pension.  Although I prefer the NZ system, pensions for all.   

I would rather be a self funded retiree and on a centrelink pension, after all we paid our taxes for 40 years. We are penalised by the government for planning our future via super.   UK, USA, not sure about Canada also have aged pension for all, not means tested.  In this country, the less you have the more government give you, ain't always right. At least we get the $750 stimulus money don't we? or do we?  I don't do on line banking, so I don't know if it went into my a/c or not,  I am a dinosaur.

Had my rant, is it wine'o clock yet? 🍷

Edited by NSWP

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

We don’t have an old age pension in NZ . Our system is a Government operated Superannuation scheme paid for by all taxpayers and pay payable  to all at 65 .

40 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

We don’t have an old age pension in NZ . Our system is a Government operated Superannuation scheme paid for by all taxpayers and pay payable  to all at 65 .

I know. It is the envy of many.  We also have a Superannuation Scheme  paid for by many workers throughout their working lives.  I don't believe it is as good as your Government operated one.  We got conned into moving from a defined benefit scheme, which was a far better scheme.  

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I would rather be a self funded retiree and on a centrelink pension, after all we paid our taxes for 40 years. We are penalised by the government for planning our future via super.   UK, USA, not sure about Canada also have aged pension for all, not means tested.  In this country, the less you have the more government give you, ain't always right. At least we get the $750 stimulus money don't we? or do we?  I don't do on line banking, so I don't know if it went into my a/c or not,  I am a dinosaur.

We are also self-funded retirees, both paying tax for a lot of years. I believe we get the $750 stimulus money: this will be the first time we ever got any hand-outs as there has always been a reason why we didn't quite qualify.🙂

We also don't do on-line banking. One of our sons is in IT and years ago he advised against on-line banking for security reasons.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Me neither  Some of us still have our passbook accounts.  My daughters are telling me we soon won't have cash.  Last year, in London both my credit cards were frozen.  Thank goodness for cash.  The only problem was some shops take only credit cards.  However, I was told to try cc with small amounts, which I did.  Yes, I bought a coffee on cc - a coffee never tasted so good!  My daughter bought all my last minute theatre tickets in Aust for 25 pounds and I collected tickets at the theatres.  This was less expensive than buying tickets at theatre.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Don’t forget in the UK, at least, although everybody gets the aged pension they have inheritance tax. Your beneficiaries are allowed £325000 tax free, anything above that is taxed at 40%. Inheritance tax was abolished years ago in Australia. I’ll leave you to decide which system you like best now.

1 hour ago, jland said:

Don’t forget in the UK, at least, although everybody gets the aged pension they have inheritance tax. Your beneficiaries are allowed £325000 tax free, anything above that is taxed at 40%. Inheritance tax was abolished years ago in Australia. I’ll leave you to decide which system you like best now.

Plus some countries require additional compulsory contributions, on top of tax. And others charge much higher consumption taxes than here.

It's not sufficient just to pay personal taxes to expect a pension comes free and ignore the rest of the welfare and tax environment. 

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Just got notice that my application for CSHC has been approved. They said it's in the mail. Now I'll have to find out what to do with it. Initially I need it for a discount on power.

10 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Just got notice that my application for CSHC has been approved. They said it's in the mail. Now I'll have to find out what to do with it. Initially I need it for a discount on power.

plus car registration, prescriptions from chemist, check fine print for concessions (some only for pensioners but some for CSHS)

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Australian system may not be perfect but then no other system is either. I know where I want to live.

Yes, we are very fortunate living in this country.

Despite all the difficulties I believe our leaders are doing a great job.

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

plus car registration, prescriptions from chemist, check fine print for concessions (some only for pensioners but some for CSHS)

Not in NSW, free of charge car registration and free licence is only for those with a Centrelink pensioner concession card, not self funded retiree holding only a CSHCC.   Perhaps Qld Govt gives those benefits.   We get the cheap 'stay alive pills in NSW., but not a lot else.

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Not in NSW, free of charge car registration and free licence is only for those with a Centrelink pensioner concession card, not self funded retiree holding only a CSHCC.   Perhaps Qld Govt gives those benefits.   We get the cheap 'stay alive pills in NSW., but not a lot else.

We are in Queensland. Definitely no free rego, just a slight reduction. The main benefit is on prescription pills and medical: some doctors bulk bill people who have a CSHCC.

Edited by Aus Traveller

12 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks. I'm guessing there will be some sort of brochure with it explaining what I qualify for.

22 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

The $750 arrived in my account today.  Boy was I surprised.

How does it work anyway? Were you just refunded all of a sudden or compensated? What is this?
I always hear people recieving money from the government, companies and etc but I have never gotten any. I always thought that you have to apply, fill up some form, wait like forever in order to get anything on your account. Well, I am happy that it works for someone. Hope you know what to do with all this money 😄

Edited by Roger88

The Australian Government paid a one-off $750 to any australian receiving any form of government pension or family payment.  This was done to assist them and help the economy because it was considered that they would most likely spend it and thus boost the economy.  No forms to fill out, it just arrived in my account.