And now Alaska is going to quarantine visitors.

Prost Seattle

3 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

My train of thought is that they can only handle “so many” cancellations at a time and perhaps struggling with current cancellations and to find some kind of replacement itinerary for the ships who usually do Alaska (IF that’s even logistical or feasible, considering the current climate).  

So, although their web site is a mess and not accurate (not defending the mess at all); but at some point - passengers need to take responsibility and make their own decisions of whether to cancel or not and not wait for the announcement from X.

I couldn’t even imagine travelling in May or June at this point in time - COVID19 is far from being under control.  

I totally agree about passengers needing to take responsibility and making their own decisions. Unfortunately, I think that there are a lot of passengers who simply don't seem to understand the realities of such things as closed ports, closed borders, enforced isolation and the fact the COVID-19 won't disappear and all returns to normal in a couple of weeks.

While you are 100% correct that they are struggling to keep up with the current volume of cancellations, I still think that it's incumbent upon them to announce the cancellation of cruises that they know full well will never sail. They could do so with an accompanying announcement that, due to the unprecedented situation, refunds and/or FCC's would be delayed by "x" many weeks or months, and that in the meantime, they will be working on establishing replacement itineraries. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

While you are 100% correct that they are struggling to keep up with the current volume of cancellations, I still think that it's incumbent upon them to announce the cancellation of cruises that they know full well will never sail. They could do so with an accompanying announcement that, due to the unprecedented situation, refunds and/or FCC's would be delayed by "x" many weeks or months, and that in the meantime, they will be working on establishing replacement itineraries. 

Exactly!!  To call in 3 times to reservations to get updates and to have them say this sailing isn't cancelled it's still happening just makes me shake my head.. It was almost 2 weeks ago that Trudeau said no ships. You think at-least giving your reservations staff something intelligent to pass along to customers would be helpful LOL

• Like 3

Two things I’ve noticed about this board and X.  I haven’t been on CC for long, but from the get go people have bemoaned the poor IT of X and their woefully inadequate website.  My partner is an IT director of a company, and IT is generally considered to be a necessary expense, but one that frequently gets shortchanged or is an afterthought.  In normal times this might be good enough, but in trying circumstances like we’re going through now, a robust IT department and website might actually be helping X with customer service and customer retention.

Another observation I can make is whether strict adherence to scientists and medical personnel is an attack on our leadership in this country.  I understand people can be polarized on conservative/progressive issues, but I just wish people would do a better job educating themselves so their decisions are well informed.  

4 hours ago, KristyMisty14 said:

On March 13th the government of Canada said no cruise ships over 500 people until at-least July 1st in our ports... The transport minister will not review the policy until June 30th.... I have 10 people on the Eclipse on June 28th and final payment is due March 30th.... they still don't know what they are doing with this ship and they say it's not cancelled and they have not modified the itinerary yet and I would sure hope for the good of all the passengers that they decide before the March 30th final payment date.  I'm sure this is affecting all the other customers on earlier sailing in and out of Vancouver as well and hope they will have some info before March 30th 

I have 6 of us going on July 3 on the Millennium. FInal payment is coming up on that one in 7 days.  We have already decided to cancel at that point.  Tis is a cruise that I booked 2 years ago while on another cruise. It is supposed to be a family celebration for our 50th.  We are  now hoping to do it next year. I just don't want to tie up $12,000 dollars for 3 months on the hope the port is open by July 3.  Just too closer for comfort.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I totally agree about passengers needing to take responsibility and making their own decisions. Unfortunately, I think that there are a lot of passengers who simply don't seem to understand the realities of such things as closed ports, closed borders, enforced isolation and the fact the COVID-19 won't disappear and all returns to normal in a couple of weeks.

To the contrary, I think most fully understand the realities as you've stated. We have and April 11th cruise booked and had every intention on going under normal circumstances. But these aren't normal circumstances and Celebrity should be far more forthcoming than they have been.

• Like 1

Alaska isnt the first State to do it. California, New York, Florida, Virginia. It was predictable. Any country that has a seaport will now put everyone who arrives into quarantine. I heard there no fishing boats either. People are so afraid of being put into quarantine and I can understand them. One thing is to know that you are not infected and the other is to be put along with a bunch of people who have high chances of being infected.. 🤔

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Totally agree..that's the responsible approach and good customer relations!

Instead, it seems  they are dragging it out forcing folks to cancel on their own and take a credit instead of a refund.  Beyond X, people have to deal with travel, hotels, pet sitters etc. No consideration given to that.,,.

I see no way Alaska is a go in the near term,...

12 minutes ago, treehugr said:

To the contrary, I think most fully understand the realities as you've stated. We have and April 11th cruise booked and had every intention on going under normal circumstances. But these aren't normal circumstances and Celebrity should be far more forthcoming than they have been.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with you that most understand, but there are still posts every day from people asking if their cruise is likely to go ahead, even though it obviously won't. And if CC members reading this board don't understand, what of the thousands of cruisers who don't have the benefit of the information found here?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

My train of thought is that they can only handle “so many” cancellations at a time and perhaps struggling with current cancellations and to find some kind of replacement itinerary for the ships who usually do Alaska (IF that’s even logistical or feasible, considering the current climate).  

So, although their web site is a mess and not accurate (not defending the mess at all); but at some point - passengers need to take responsibility and make their own decisions of whether to cancel or not and not wait for the announcement from X.

I couldn’t even imagine travelling in May or June at this point in time - COVID19 is far from being under control.  

However,  it appears that X is not too understaffed to handle final payments being made by people not sure what to do 😞

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with you that most understand, but there are still posts every day from people asking if their cruise is likely to go ahead, even though it obviously won't. And if CC members reading this board don't understand, what of the thousands of cruisers who don't have the benefit of the information found here?  

Point taken. However I still don't think this absolves cruise lines of their responsibility of better communications with their customers. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Provence55always said:

No one will be cruising anywhere until there is a vaccine. Totally irresponsible to suggest otherwise in my humble opinion.

This exactly what I said a week ago and they deleted me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KristyMisty14 said:

Isn't that kind of shi&&y for their customers though... doesn't really look good on them IMO

Why?  You can cancel now and get a refund or FCC or a combo depending on how far out for your planned sailing.

If I had a June or July cruise planned I would cancel and if a NRD let it go. There are far worse things to worry about.

What Celebrity is trying to do is sort of like the health departments - flatten the curve of cancellations.  They already were taking 4 to 6 weeks to issue FCC in early March.  Last Saturday my TA stated she was told to expect FCCs for cruises cancelled then to be 6 - 8 weeks.

They are buried with no good way to dig themselves out unless they can have their IT design a fully online system - My TA's comment. (That works - my thought).

The cancellation through May 11 came through as I was writing.

Edited by az_tchr

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

Why? 

The reference was not about what you were getting back or credit or whatever, I could care less about that part....the conversation with the other CC member based on the fact that for 2 weeks the information on Canadian ports closures was out for public knowledge and backed up by the Canadian Government websites and as of yesterday Celebrity still had not given their reservation staff any direction on it.  At all.   Now leaving your staff to have to say "We are hoping the Canadian Government changes their mind" or "Really,  I haven't hear anything about the Canadian Ports closing, on our end this ship is still sailing on June 28th"  is IMO not a great way to service customers or staff

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KristyMisty14 said:

The reference was not about what you were getting back or credit or whatever, I could care less about that part....the conversation with the other CC member based on the fact that for 2 weeks the information on Canadian ports closures was out for public knowledge and backed up by the Canadian Government websites and as of yesterday Celebrity still had not given their reservation staff any direction on it.  At all.   Now leaving your staff to have to say "We are hoping the Canadian Government changes their mind" or "Really,  I haven't hear anything about the Canadian Ports closing, on our end this ship is still sailing on June 28th"  is IMO not a great way to service customers or staff

I could be wrong but I think they were amongst the first to announce these cancellations.  I think they were working on exemptions to the PVSA ... but them Alaska out heir restrictions in place over the last couple of days and that more or less ruined the early season up that way. 
I am booked on an early season sailing on another cruiseline and no cancellation announcement as of yet ... although now, I know it’s coming!  

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I could be wrong but I think they were amongst the first to announce these cancellations.  I think they were working on exemptions to the PVSA ... but them Alaska out heir restrictions in place over the last couple of days and that more or less ruined the early season up that way. 
I am booked on an early season sailing on another cruiseline and no cancellation announcement as of yet ... although now, I know it’s coming!  

The Canadian Goverment banned cruise ships over 500 people back on March 13th.... for arrivals into Canadian Ports until at least July 1st  - with a policy revisit date of June 30th.  It was just today (this afternoon) that X and RCI finally came out with information on it (2 weeks later)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, az_tchr said:

On a pure business perspective, X is hoping to cruise maybe on late May to some places. IMO, not likely. Once cancelled the cruises are gone.

More likely that Celebrity's business perspective is hoping people will not cancel and pay their final payment hoping to get 125% FCC - thereby increasing Celebrity's cashflow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Provence55always said:

With the above post I rest my case!!

Did you post the wrong chart by mistake? That chart provides a comparative distribution by age but doesn't answer the question posed by @PTC DAWG on the number of people a year who die from the flu.

18 hours ago, KristyMisty14 said:

Isn't that kind of shi&&y for their customers though... doesn't really look good on them IMO

While I'm definately not a cheerleader; I think you are being a tad bit hard on them right now. Your sailing isn't until late June. They are currently trying to deal with cancellations around sailings set to leave in April/May before they are going to tackle June sailings. Perhaps they are holding out to see if Canada changes their mind (June is still a long time away, never say never); Perhaps they are holding out to see if they can change the itineary to eliminate the Canadian ports; Perhaps they just have more urgent fish to fry at the moment. 

I don't think they are intentially trying to hold out in the hopes to get more money. I think we are just in a situation that is changing rapidly day to day. Two weeks ago Ohio had like 30 cases and we could still move freely and all businesses are open. Now we have over 500 cases, increasing at over 100 cases a day, and most businesses are closed and there's as stay at home order in effect. It would crazy to try and make a prediction at this point of what 2 months out will look like. And I think that is the point, Canada may say they won't revisit, but who really knows. I don't blame them for being unwilling to commit to a course of action over 3 months away at this point. 

But you have the power to cancel. So, really the ball is in your court at this point. Not sure why are you hesitant to cancel. I would only keep the sailing if you would be willing to accept any itinerary change that may be offered.