Americans, how long until you received your refund?

sbd78

I cancelled my 5/30 cruise the first day MSC announced it was being cancelled on 4/30. I received an email from MSC that I would be refunded in 60 days. Well that 60 days has come and gone and no refund. I paid in full $6,800 on Jan 15th for this cruise. My concern is that I paid $2,500 with my Visa card and the balance right out of my checking account with my travel agent. I emailed my travel agent and was told that MSC is backed up and are processing it and that I'm in the loop. I will file a dispute tomorrow with my Visa card, but I'm afraid I'm going to be screwed the balance I paid with my personal account. I"m so fed up and will not be sailing with MSC in the future. I booked a cruise in 3/2021 with Celebrity a few weeks ago instead. 

3 hours ago, lastchamp64 said:

I cancelled my 5/30 cruise the first day MSC announced it was being cancelled on 4/30. I received an email from MSC that I would be refunded in 60 days. Well that 60 days has come and gone and no refund. I paid in full $6,800 on Jan 15th for this cruise. My concern is that I paid $2,500 with my Visa card and the balance right out of my checking account with my travel agent. I emailed my travel agent and was told that MSC is backed up and are processing it and that I'm in the loop. I will file a dispute tomorrow with my Visa card, but I'm afraid I'm going to be screwed the balance I paid with my personal account. I"m so fed up and will not be sailing with MSC in the future. I booked a cruise in 3/2021 with Celebrity a few weeks ago instead. 

We are at 104 days and one of the first to cancel.  Been told 60, then, 90, then another three weeks.  What a bunch of lies on the part of MSC.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is worth "bumping" up or not. Still waiting - time frame way beyond what it should have been - have been escalated and was even transferred to a supervisor over a week ago - still waiting. Would be nice to hear some positive reports. What has the Refund/Accounting Department been doing?

Woot Woot!  Money is coming in!  

Note:  When I spoke with a customer service rep last week to escalate a refund, he said that he could not give me an exact date, but that MSC did make recent changes to speed up refunds.  I was skeptical, but it seems like they are improving.  Today, I received the refund that was escalated on 7/2/2020.  Hope more of you receive good news today!  Here are my timelines so far:

Seaside Spa pass:  Total wait days - 65 👏

Expected refund date 7/1/2020 

Received: 7/6/2020 

Seaside for 5/30/2020 - Total wait days - 65 💃

Cancelled 5/2/2020

Expected 7/1/2020

Called and Escalated 7/2/2020

Still waiting for refunds on 2 fully paid cruises and 2 deposits that are just past due date.

Edited by APDMOM
clarify

The money owed to me from MSC has officially cleared. 90 days after sail date. Approximately 110 days after I requested refund. Here is the timeline:

1. Applied for Refund March 14
2. Original sail date April 4
3. Disputed charge with American Express May 21. American Express immediately deposited the funds back to my account, but the dispute was listed as pending awaiting response from MSC
4. On May 30th, Received notice from MSC that the money would clear on my June statement (they held it another 30 days)
5. Today is July 6th  (first day of my billing cycle) and pending has been removed from the dispute by American Express. I have my money in full. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, APDMOM said:

Woot Woot!  Money is coming in!  

Note:  When I spoke with a customer service rep last week to escalate a refund, he said that he could not give me an exact date, but that MSC did make recent changes to speed up refunds.  I was skeptical, but it seems like they are improving.  Today, I received the refund that was escalated on 7/2/2020.  Hope more of you receive good news today!  Here are my timelines so far:

Seaside Spa pass:  Total wait days - 65 👏

Expected refund date 7/1/2020 

Seaside for 5/30/2020 - Total wait days - 65 💃

Cancelled 5/2/2020

Expected 7/1/2020

Called and Escalated 7/2/2020

Still waiting for refunds on 2 fully paid cruises and 2 deposits that are just past due date.

Just received the refunds for the 2 deposits too  - expected on 6/29/2020, received 7/6/2020 at 67 days. 👍🙂

Now we are just waiting for refunds for 2 fully paid cruises that are a little past due.

There is hope, everyone! 

MSC is doing better than RCL in our personal experience... Still waiting for RCL refunds and FCC’s.

Third update today:

We have now received all fully paid cruise refunds and both deposits that were overdue (by ~4-10 days).  I hope this rings true for everyone... maybe MSC really did step up to make changes and expedite refunds!  I think I will book another cruise. 😁

❤️

1 hour ago, APDMOM said:

Third update today:

We have now received all fully paid cruise refunds and both deposits that were overdue (by ~4-10 days).  I hope this rings true for everyone... maybe MSC really did step up to make changes and expedite refunds!  I think I will book another cruise. 😁

❤️

I Will for sure!!! 

• Like 1

We just got our refund today, but I'm not sure if it is for our April 18th that we canceled on March 17th or our Sept 19th cruise that we canceled on June 5th.I'm assuming it's for April, but still waiting for our FCC.  Sept was just canceled before final payment .

• Like 1

We just got partial refunds, are they doing it in the blocks of what we paid? I had one for $500 and one for $353 hit my credit card today, but that is a looooong way from the total paid for 2 YC cabins. 

1 hour ago, pirate4me2 said:

We just got partial refunds, are they doing it in the blocks of what we paid? I had one for $500 and one for $353 hit my credit card today, but that is a looooong way from the total paid for 2 YC cabins. 

Our refunds came exactly the way we paid.  We got the deposit separately from the final payment and then, in a separate refund the spa pass.  For example, for one cruise, we got $398 (deposit) then $3,170 (final payment) then $195 (14 day spa pass).  Hope this makes sense.

48 minutes ago, APDMOM said:

Our refunds came exactly the way we paid.  We got the deposit separately from the final payment and then, in a separate refund the spa pass.  For example, for one cruise, we got $398 (deposit) then $3,170 (final payment) then $195 (14 day spa pass).  Hope this makes sense.

It does, thank you! That means I will have several different refunds then, I paid in installments as we saved up money. Ugh. 

One out of three received today: cancelled an October cruise out of Barcelona on April 3 - non covid related, well non covid related at the time, I have no idea if it is still sailing, but did not want to wait for an official cancellation as I had to deal with flights and hotels and wanted to do that earlier than later - anyway, saw deposit of $398 today on credit card.

Will see what tomorrow brings!

Awaiting two separate taxes/fees to be applied to credit card on two cruises that I received FCC for in April, so certainly beyond number of expected days, but encouraged somewhat.

Edited by cellfree
added info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Até said:

A little twisted that a Canadian using the US booking system gets better service than most US citizens using the US booking system.

I guess MSC feels sorry for us Canadians since are dollar sucs, lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Até said:

A little twisted that a Canadian using the US booking system gets better service than most US citizens using the US booking system.

It's even more twisted because when I called MSC USA to cancel a US$ booking, I immediately received an email confirmation and credit card refund in 23 business days. I'm still trying to get MSC Canada to even acknowledge cancellation of my C$ booking after a month of trying. Fed up.....chargeback!!!

I've always had good/great interactions with the US call centre, but not so much with the Canadian one.

Don't know why MSC needs separate web sites, call centres and systems. Princess has just all-in-one and it works very well.

Also, if you're calling from Canada, you can't even call MSC USA directly any more. The call automatically gets forwarded to MSC Canada and then you get transferred to US.......really efficient 🙄

9 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

On June 16, I canceled my October 2020 cruises.  Received refunds on July 6. 

Canceled Feb. 2021 cruises on June 29 and received my refunds on July 1.

That must be a record 🙂 Were these only deposits, not fully paid cruise refunds?