Americans, how long until you received your refund?

sbd78

On 6/25/2020 at 10:15 AM, cruisingator2 said:

(snip) I was just under the impression that we would have to wait the entire 8 weeks for no response.(snip)

Yes Visa wrote us that MSC had 60 days to dispute the temporary chargeback, after which the credit on our acct would become permanent.  We're at 4 weeks.  CruisingGator2 it does sound like MSC decided not to dispute the chargeback, making it permanent.  I would have expected MSC to dispute the chargeback and tell the cc that the refund was "coming."  Maybe the card told MSC that "coming" is taking too long.  Their suggested timeline is 20 days.  Anyway good news.

For anyone hesitant to bug their cc about a chargeback, we found Visa very understanding and helpful, we asked their opinion about doing it and they suggested we go ahead with it right away.  They were on the same page and we certainly didn't have to talk them into it, and anyway we didn't plan on forcing it if they had other suggestions.  Perhaps they regard card holders as their primary customers and not vendors.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob7 said:

Yes Visa wrote us that MSC had 60 days to dispute the temporary chargeback, after which the credit on our acct would become permanent.  We're at 4 weeks.  CruisingGator2 it does sound like MSC decided not to dispute the chargeback, making it permanent.  I would have expected MSC to dispute the chargeback and tell the cc that the refund was "coming."  Maybe the card told MSC that "coming" is taking too long.  Their suggested timeline is 20 days.  Anyway good news.

For anyone hesitant to bug their cc about a chargeback, we found Visa very understanding and helpful, we asked their opinion about doing it and they suggested we go ahead with it right away.  They were on the same page and we certainly didn't have to talk them into it, and anyway we didn't plan on forcing it if they had other suggestions.  Perhaps they regard card holders as their primary customers and not vendors.

(snip) I was just under the impression that we would have to wait the entire 8 weeks for no response.(snip)

The quote above was actually another poster (aprilF) and not me.🙂 Just happy that one way or the other it has been settles. Hopefully others waiting will see results soon.

• Like 1

My TA called to inquire about my refund that was requested 71 days ago (prior to final payment being due on my 8/29/20 sailing). They told him that he “did it wrong and would have to wait another 60 days”! I trust my TA immensely and he’s not new to this rodeo! 

If nothing else, this did teach me to never pay in full BEFORE final payment is due! I’d only be out a deposit instead of abut $4K! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NayRN said:

My TA called to inquire about my refund that was requested 71 days ago (prior to final payment being due on my 8/29/20 sailing). They told him that he “did it wrong and would have to wait another 60 days”! I trust my TA immensely and he’s not new to this rodeo! 

If nothing else, this did teach me to never pay in full BEFORE final payment is due! I’d only be out a deposit instead of abut $4K! 

How can you do it wrong?  I filled out the simple form 96 days ago and still waiting.  Others reported they filled out form, got confirmation, called, then told wrong or not received.  

I know you are a loyal NCL cruiser like us who took leap of faith to unknown line in YC on MSC.  We've enjoyed our three past trips but this refund behavior is plain wrong.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, dexddd said:

How can you do it wrong?  I filled out the simple form 96 days ago and still waiting.  Others reported they filled out form, got confirmation, called, then told wrong or not received.  

I know you are a loyal NCL cruiser like us who took leap of faith to unknown line in YC on MSC.  We've enjoyed our three past trips but this refund behavior is plain wrong.

This put a pretty sour taste in my mouth regarding MSC. I had heard great things about the YC on MSC and was looking forward to it! My TA is calling back on Monday - and I rebooked with NCL on the Joy! I guess I’ll stick with what I know best for the immediate future.

• Like 1

Back to report....my chargeback credit is now permanent.

Short version:  I canceled an Oct 2020 cruise in mid-March. well before final payment.

I called after about a month, and I was told the TA did not do it correctly....so they "re-did" it, and I'd have to wait 60 days until I saw the credit.

I got annoyed...based on all the problems people were having.  I did a chargeback  in early May, got an immediate temporary credit...and received the permanent credit today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Back to report....my chargeback credit is now permanent.

Short version:  I canceled an Oct 2020 cruise in mid-March. well before final payment.

I called after about a month, and I was told the TA did not do it correctly....so they "re-did" it, and I'd have to wait 60 days until I saw the credit.

I got annoyed...based on all the problems people were having.  I did a chargeback  in early May, got an immediate temporary credit...and received the permanent credit today.

It is less than 8 weeks from early May indicating that MSC likely responded to your CC company as well. 

On 5/22/2020 at 10:07 AM, NameThatFunnel said:

Well, I just got the bad news that my refund request (supposedly submitted March 22) for my March 21st cruise was never received. I was told to submit a new form today, this is not right. Trying to escalate this up the chain.

Any updates on this?  I just called and got the same response, even though I have confirmation email dated 5/3 with the refund request confirmed.  She said she is escalating the refunds.  Did you receive the refund?  

I am wondering how long it takes, once they “escalate” the refund....?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aprilF said:

It is less than 8 weeks from early May indicating that MSC likely responded to your CC company as well. 

They didn't respond.  The cc told me that MSC had until 6/29 to respond on 5/5.  I didn't think they'd bother as they knew I was due the money, so responding was pointless and time consuming.

ETA....I'm really sad about this, as there are no cruises out of NYC.  I loved the 2 MSC cruises we took.

Oh well...now waiting for a refund on my 9/2021 cruise that was canceled 2 days after booking.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

APDMOM, my refunds (3) were escalated a few weeks ago, not sure if it is working, was initially hopeful, “escalating” sounds like a positive thing, but if everyone who calls in is escalated, well we are still in trouble, still waiting.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cellfree said:

APDMOM, my refunds (3) were escalated a few weeks ago, not sure if it is working, was initially hopeful, “escalating” sounds like a positive thing, but if everyone who calls in is escalated, well we are still in trouble, still waiting.

Yikes!  That is not good.  Thank you for the feedback!  I guess we will still be waiting.  😔 

• Like 1

Heard back from TA today after asking TA to check with MSC again.  MSC told TA it will be yet another THREE WEEKS as their Finance Dept is "overcharged".  Well, we are actually the ones who have been "overcharged" waiting nearly DOUBLE the time they first told us on 3/21 and then told later it would be 90 days.

We would have been one of the very first groups to have submitted claims - MSC, where is our refund???

I'm wondering if they are working on the smaller claims first?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

I'm wondering if they are working on the smaller claims first?

That may be true!  We received a $98 refund for a cancelled cruise.  When I called today, I was told our other two deposits ($398 each) have been processed, and we should receive the refund any day now.  These three were all cancelled after our fully paid cruises.  MSC has $12,246 of our money... 

• Like 1

I booked a cruise for my family and my in-laws for October, 2020.  Due to the change in my kids' school calendar, I cancelled on April 28, 2020 (well before the 90 day mark of July 3rd) to get my deposit back and was told it would be "up to 60 days" to get my deposit back. 

Today, June 29th marks 62 days and no deposit so I called. I was told "It may take up to 60 days." I informed them it was past 60 days. They repeated "It may take up to 60 days." At this point, i am under the impression that they were given a script and told not to deviate.  It appears that I will have to call up my bank's fraud department for this and dispute it. 

Goodbye, MSC.  I really wanted to give you a chance, but you burned me before I even boarded.

• Like 1

Just a follow up my credit card dispute is now permanent. I spoke with CC rep at length about the situation he told me that he has been processing a ton of these claims. He said he has yet see a cruise company respond back to chargeback. I wonder how all these chargebacks are going to effect the credit card industry going forward in respects to covering claims like this. all the best to everyone trying to get your money back. MSC unfortunately for them they are off the table for me in the future unless its a gift of course. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Billoftt said:

I booked a cruise for my family and my in-laws for October, 2020.  Due to the change in my kids' school calendar, I cancelled on April 28, 2020 (well before the 90 day mark of July 3rd) to get my deposit back and was told it would be "up to 60 days" to get my deposit back. 

Today, June 29th marks 62 days and no deposit so I called. I was told "It may take up to 60 days." I informed them it was past 60 days. They repeated "It may take up to 60 days." At this point, i am under the impression that they were given a script and told not to deviate.  It appears that I will have to call up my bank's fraud department for this and dispute it. 

Goodbye, MSC.  I really wanted to give you a chance, but you burned me before I even boarded.

As far as I'm concerned, we've been lied to three times now.

They probably mean another 60 days.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sds said:

MSC unfortunately for them they are off the table for me in the future unless its a gift of course. 

They are off the table for me.  The most recent customer "service" rep (Vickie) I spoke to kept on blabbing about how long it will take for the future cruise credit to to hit my account with them. No matter how much I tried to explain to her that I wasn't talking about future cruise credit, I was talking about my actual refund from cancelling a sailing six months ahead of the sail date, she just kept on shouting over me about future cruise credit and hung up after I raised my voice and asked if i was allowed to talk.

I figured this was a barometer of things to come once I boarded had I not cancelled.

On a more humorous note, when I was on the phone with Navy Federal Credit Union to dispute the charge as soon as I said "I booked this cruise a while back and cancelled..." their rep said "Not a problem, it has been happening a lot lately." I literally didn't even have to explain my situation that much. 

What annoys me more is that I cancelled another cruise with Princess on the same day and they told me the same thing, that it would be up to 60 days to get my deposit back.  It was there in just under three weeks.  A lot of people describe Carnival as the "Walmart of the Seas," but I have never been burned by them before.

• Like 1

Unfortunately some of the cruise lines forgot that they will need cruisers after this pandemic is over. Of course every cruise line has their loyal supporters no matter what  but for a cruise line that was trying to build their North American market they have failed to be transparent and for now have lost us. With two of their top U.S executives coming from Celebrity and RCI, I expected better. Disappointing. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

. With two of their top U.S executives coming from Celebrity and RCI, I expected better. Disappointing. 

Problem is everything needs green light from Italy when it comes to signing checks.

• Like 1

Although I am also frustrated about the long wait for our MSC refunds, I feel a little better after reading RCL boards.  They have the same problems with CSR’s telling different stories....

For Royal, we were supposed to have an FCC delivered by today.  Got nothing.  So, I went to investigate and saw on RCL boards that it takes longer for them too.  One waited 88 days for refund, one only received 12% of refund after 3 months.  Seems like a common problem.  Royal was supposed to do refunds within 45 days, now they have changed to “business days” also, but still not meeting deadlines.  

But, like stated, at least Richard Fain publicly apologized.  

• Like 1

Just to give people some perspective on people's frustration with MSC, we are on day 108 from the day we submitted our refund request (16 March).  We have the confirmation email that indicated that we would be paid back in 60 days (LOL-right).  Another refund timeline is at 93 days.  This is the primary reason that we submitted a Visa dispute case several weeks ago.  Almost immediately, Visa issued an temporary credit which will become permanent on or before 12 Aug.  But at least I have some resolution in my eyes.  If MSC gets off their butts and issues us a refund before this time, then I'll just cancel the dispute.  

• Like 2