NSW Police has ordered Pacific Explorer to leave Sydney!!

43 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Interesting points.🙂 If Australia would let the ships dock and non-essential crews disembark, I am sure that the cruise lines would arrange to fly them home - that is if their home countries would accept incoming flights.

I believe that is what Peter Duddon said today. Because the ships are now out of the 14 days isolation the crews on ships that are covid-19 free may be able to be sent home where possible and if not needed for their ships' return.

The medical teams are being sent to get a true assessment of the health of those on the ships. So far 14 crew from cruiseships have been brought ashore and treated. Voyager of the seas have cases also and are being treated onboard.

DiamondFour needs to calm down for their own sake. What will be is out of our hands atm. And not by any means meant to be a derogatory remark, just concerned how bad the situation is affecting you as all of us.

Edited by megsie

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

FYI  Most crew contracts include flights home after contract finishes , crew then pay their own fare to join their next ship

Regards

John

Crew on Princess ships have their travel expenses to and from the ship paid for by the cruiseline. I don't know about the contracts for the officers, but I would be surprised if it was different.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

You must be referring to the Pacific Explorer because you refer to " kicking them out". A few comments:

You say "By the time the ship reached Australia, the country has already been dealing with the crisis". Uh!!! The Pacific Explorer reached Australia many many years ago. She has been based in Australia as part of P&O sine 2017, and before that she was based in Australia as the Dawn Princess. Sorry - your comment is wrong.

Actually, he's right, which is what makes the Police Minister's assessment even more unreasonable and unjustified.

The Pacific Explorer was just refurbished in Singapore in February. After that it sailed back to Sydney, over 2 weeks before its first sailing on a domestic cruise with no stops, with pax for 3 nights on 13 March. The sailing finished on 16 March, when the 500 person gathering limit was introduced, and there have been no sailings since.

There were and are no passengers or crew on that domestic cruise with coronavirus and it has been an entirely clean ship. 

The whole thing is a farce, showing no commonsense or fair play, but just a trumped up witch hunt because they did a bad job managing ships prior.

I saw him on 7:30 tonight and he comes across as a political stooge. On top of the poor decisions so far, he was asked about the Ruby Princess debacle and where the issue may lie with Border force or Health, since nobody has admitted anything yet. He instead chose to deflect and say "there's another party - the captain" and 'he needs to investigate what role they played in the incident.' In other words, they are still looking for someone to blame as they don't want to blame the other two, but can't find anything to blame the cruise line on yet.

Subsequently, he said unprompted "the premier and PM have very difficult decisions to make" trying to drum up sympathy for them. It's clear where his allegiances lie - and it's not in serving the best interests of the people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Actually, he's right, which is what makes the Police Minister's assessment even more unreasonable and unjustified.

The Pacific Explorer was just refurbished in Singapore in February. After that it sailed back to Sydney, over 2 weeks before its first sailing on a domestic cruise with no stops, with pax for 3 nights on 13 March. The sailing finished on 16 March, when the 500 person gathering limit was introduced, and there have been no sailings since.

There were and are no passengers or crew on that domestic cruise with coronavirus and it has been an entirely clean ship. 

The whole thing is a farce, showing no commonsense or fair play, but just a trumped up witch hunt because they did a bad job managing ships prior.

I saw him on 7:30 tonight and he comes across as a political stooge. On top of the poor decisions so far, he was asked about the Ruby Princess debacle and where the issue may lie with Border force or Health, since nobody has admitted anything yet. He instead chose to deflect and say "there's another party - the captain" and 'he needs to investigate what role they played in the incident.' In other words, they are still looking for someone to blame as they don't want to blame the other two, but can't find anything to blame the cruise line on yet.

Subsequently, he said unprompted "the premier and PM have very difficult decisions to make" trying to drum up sympathy for them. It's clear where his allegiances lie - and it's not in serving the best interests of the people.

Yes I was very angry that he was attempting to use the captain as a scapegoat.

On A current affair they had a poll where they asked if the crew should be allowed to disembark here and the response was like 95% against. I was pretty upset that the people who make our holidays so wonderful would be treated like that. If they saw it they would feel terribly betrayed by us I think. 

What I am sensing is a lot of hostility towards cruise ships. I know people myself who have never gone on one, even before this pandemic, say they would never go. Of course, I find it very illogical that some people know what they would like or not like before they have tried it. My first cruise was on our honeymoon and a friend ( who has never cruised)  warned us that we would hate it and we would want to get off. Of course the opposite happened and we were hooked ever since.

9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

On A current affair they had a poll where they asked if the crew should be allowed to disembark here and the response was like 95% against. I was pretty upset that the people who make our holidays so wonderful would be treated like that. If they saw it they would feel terribly betrayed by us I think. 

What I am sensing is a lot of hostility towards cruise ships. I know people myself who have never gone on one, even before this pandemic, say they would never go. Of course, I find it very illogical that some people know what they would like or not like before they have tried it. My first cruise was on our honeymoon and a friend ( who has never cruised)  warned us that we would hate it and we would want to get off. Of course the opposite happened and we were hooked ever since.

Newspapers are there to sell papers and TV channels are all about ratings.  As they say Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  I heard Channel 7 are doing a Special on the  Ruby Princess on Sunday night.  Bet it will be very one sided and sensationalised.

Funny how Melbourne and Brisbane have ships at anchor but we have not had the hysteria that Sydney and Perth are experiencing.

We have not been told whether the sick crew taken off the Ruby are COVD19 cases or suffering from something else.  I hear that some were pregnant and taken off as a precaution.

12 minutes ago, christodan said:

I suspect most people are upset at the large number of people infected with the virus in Australia, from cruise ships.  The majority of people infected in Australia are because of cruise ships and people returning from overseas (including Aussies returning).  People are dying in Australia as a result of cruise ships.  These are the facts.  I don't think it is unreasonable that people were against crew disembarking. Aust is letting all ill crew infected with the virus to disembark for medical attention. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I suspect most people are upset at the large number of people infected with the virus in Australia, from cruise ships.  The majority of people infected in Australia are because of cruise ships and people returning from overseas (including Aussies returning).  People are dying in Australia as a result of cruise ships.  These are the facts.  I don't think it is unreasonable that people were against crew disembarking. Aust is letting all ill crew infected with the virus to disembark for medical attention. 

True but whose fault is that? The NSW government let the people off the ship. It was their mishandling of the situation. People got off planes too and we don't know if they have brought the virus in as some passengers said they were let in and weren't tested. I think planes are just as bad for spreading diseases. I have caught colds a few times after catching  planes. 

Having had a good nights sleep to think about it I am still bitterly disappointed by the NSW police minister. He is a disgrace to humanity and I will hold that opinion for good now.

Having thought about this it appears the government is trying to blame the cruise industry which injects 5 billion into our economy and provides countless jobs in the supply chain as well as tourism.

It appears to me that this was both a federal and state government stuff up and probably negligence. Let me explain.

The Ruby Princess has been in our waters since at least October or September. It has been no where near the scene of the virus which originated in china. The Australian government knowing their was a risk of pandemic allowed countless people in by the plane load into our country without proper screening who in turn boarded that cruise ship which was so far safe and far away from the virus. The virus was brought onto the ship by either passengers or crew who had flown into our country. If there was no recent crew rotation then it could only be passengers form Europe or America who brought it with them. For a two week incubation period that means the virus was on the ship earlier as a result of neglect and insufficient screening by our government allowing sick foreigners into our country. The Australian Border Force, federal government and police force have blood on their hands over this.

To cover up their incompetence and divert attention from their stuff up they have created a situation of the Pacific Explorer by ordering to leave. They have laid a smoke screen and the media fell for it hook line and sinker. The NSW police ignored the advice of Border Force on the situation in Western Australia and ordered the ship to leave. This is disgraceful. It is inhumane and I have lost faith in all political parties now.

16 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I am not surprised they kicked them out lol. I am surprised they allowed it to dock in the first place. By the time the ship reached Australia, the country has already been dealing with the crisis.. and I am not even talking about those wild fires that covered the entire country. btw I heard that high tempretures kill the virus and by summer it will be eliminated by itself. Not sure how reliable is this information. Anyhow, hope this cruiser has a place to go. Feel kinda bad for it 

It's not reliable at all.  High temperatures have no impact whatsoever.  It's not the flu.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Newspapers are there to sell papers and TV channels are all about ratings.  As they say Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  I heard Channel 7 are doing a Special on the  Ruby Princess on Sunday night.  Bet it will be very one sided and sensationalised.

According to the promo Channel 7 have an email that proves a cover up. Also showing footage unrelated to Ruby Princess no doubt all this to get the viewers outraged enough to watch. I wish the Police Commissioner would say this matter is under investigation and do not broadcast until said investigation is completed and the report released by authorities.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.  I just read an article as follows -

Coronavirus: Cruise ships refuse to leave Australia

A Current Affair07:14, Apr 03 2020

It's the Australian cruise ship standoff that could become an international crisis. Eight vessels are currently in New South Wales waters, refusing to leave.

On the ships are 8500 crew members, no passengers, and no Australians.

Yet the cruise ships are refusing to leave, fearing they have Covid-19 victims on board.

"If you are moving further away from help and people get sick - critically sick - then what are your options?" maritime lawyer John Kavanagh told Australian show A Current Affair.

He believes the ships are in a serious dilemma and have a duty of care to those on board.

"If I have thousands of people on board and some of them are already sick and I'm expecting more of them to get sick, I'm not going to go further away from help, no matter what people say," he said.

Yet, the Ruby Princess debacle two weeks ago has meant officials are extremely hesitant to let the ships disembark people in Australia.

"Eight-thousand-five-hundred people in New South Wales ... if a small percentage ended up with the virus it would overwhelm our health system and everything we have done to date would be wasted," NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said.

The ships off the NSW coast are the Ruby Princess, Pacific Explorer, Carnival Splendour, The Ovation of the Seas, Spectrum of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Celebrity Solstice, and Voyager of the Seas.

The Pacific Explorer was ordered out of Sydney Harbour on Thursday.

"It is unprecedented for Australia's homegrown cruise liner to be ordered to leave Australia," Carnival Australia president Sture Myrmell said.

He noted there had been no illnesses on the Pacific Explorer.

Medics are currently being ferried to the troubled liners to test those on board. So far, 14 people have been taken off the ships for testing in recent days and more are expected.

"If the crew is fit and healthy then I have no hesitation in asking (home affairs) minister (Peter) Dutton or Border Force to enforce the orders to make them to leave our shores," Fuller said.

Kavanagh maintains that departing is simply too risky.

"If I'm the master of a vessel and I can stay a couple of days steaming from assistance, or a relatively short helicopter ride, then that's exactly what I am going to do and, frankly, if that means I go to jail because I've contravened some order then I think, certainly my conscience, if I was in that position, I would be taking that risk," he said.

44 minutes ago, christodan said:

True but whose fault is that? The NSW government let the people off the ship. It was their mishandling of the situation. People got off planes too and we don't know if they have brought the virus in as some passengers said they were let in and weren't tested. I think planes are just as bad for spreading diseases. I have caught colds a few times after catching  planes. 

This is not the time for allocating blame.  This is the time to support each other and to pull together and learn from our mistakes.  

Stay inside.  Stay safe.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

To cover up their incompetence and divert attention from their stuff up they have created a situation of the Pacific Explorer by ordering to leave. They have laid a smoke screen and the media fell for it hook line and sinker. The NSW police ignored the advice of Border Force on the situation in Western Australia and ordered the ship to leave. This is disgraceful. It is inhumane and I have lost faith in all political parties now.

I won't quote your whole post because it is long🙂, however, I agree with your comments. In politics (and the NSW Police Commissioner is involved in political 'gaming') people usually blame the other fellow. Yes, this is what is happening here.

When people want to blame cruise ships, they should consider that EVERY case of covid-19 in Australia could be traced back to its origin in China. Someone brought it into this country, and in some cases, onto a cruise ship.

54 minutes ago, christodan said:

It is only very very recently that there has been any checking of passengers for the virus when they arrived by plane. Back when the Ruby Princess started on her last cruise (8th March) and for quite some time after that, there was no temperature checking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

This is not the time for allocating blame.  This is the time to support each other and to pull together and learn from our mistakes.  

Stay inside.  Stay safe.  

I am actually not blaming anyone but if they are trying to scapegoat the captain, then  I will point out their mistakes. You know: those in glass houses etc.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, christodan said:

I am actually not blaming anyone but if they are trying to scapegoat the captain, then  I will point out their mistakes. You know: those in glass houses etc.

Agree no-one should blame a Captain, of all people, until all the facts are known.

12 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

It has been clear that in most of your 16,000+ posts that you are the wanabe campaign manager for the Labor party. I do not personally know Mr Fuller, but it is offensive for you to post your comments about him, and certainly says more about you then about him.

I suggest that the Federal & States & Territories governments of both political persuasions are facing many challenges & are working cooperatively together as has never been seen, at least in my lifetime. Mistakes are being made of course, but they are all doing their best in these unprecedented times. Give it a rest!

Stay safe all.

18 minutes ago, mr walker said:

It has been clear that in most of your 16,000+ posts that you are the wanabe campaign manager for the Labor party. I do not personally know Mr Fuller, but it is offensive for you to post your comments about him, and certainly says more about you then about him.

I suggest that the Federal & States & Territories governments of both political persuasions are facing many challenges & are working cooperatively together as has never been seen, at least in my lifetime. Mistakes are being made of course, but they are all doing their best in these unprecedented times. Give it a rest!

Stay safe all.

I have not seen that being new but I am not linked to any political party. I am apolitical. I think Fuller is a disgrace to humanity and needs to pull his head in and take a long hard look at himself. He is showboating and being a political stooge. Now he is launching an investigation into letting passengers off the ship. I am sure his investigation will not include how our government allowed viral infected passengers onto a virus free cruise ship in the first place. That is a testament to the mans integrity and character and as such I have no respect for him and what he represents. Should he prove me wrong then I will concede that.

35 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

I have not seen that being new but I am not linked to any political party. I am apolitical. I think Fuller is a disgrace to humanity and needs to pull his head in and take a long hard look at himself. He is showboating and being a political stooge. Now he is launching an investigation into letting passengers off the ship. I am sure his investigation will not include how our government allowed viral infected passengers onto a virus free cruise ship in the first place. That is a testament to the mans integrity and character and as such I have no respect for him and what he represents. Should he prove me wrong then I will concede that.

I won't comment about Commissioner Fuller personally, but I feel he was unreasonable regarding the Pacific Explorer.

Clearly, someone took the virus onto the Ruby Princess, most likely on 8th March, but there is a possibility it was when the ship was in Napier.

If the government is going to have an enquiry into the Ruby Princess debacle, let everything come out - emails between the ship and NSW Health prior to docking and who authorized the disembarkation of guests. NSW Health obviously knew there was illness on board: an ambulance left the ship at 2.30am with an ill woman who was infected with flu-like symptoms that turned out to be covid-19. She would have been at the hospital before 3am - more than four hours before passengers started to disembark. The ill passenger was in a hospital that would have its own pathology lab. If a test was expedited, there should have been a result within that four hour time frame before passengers were due to start disembarking. Maybe NSW Health didn't feel there was any urgency in the matter.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

Stay safe all.

An interesting, though absurd assessment by you. Though perhaps understandable given where your posts have made clear of your political preferences, and the view some of those have of any criticism towards their party.

However, he is making decisions that substantially affect people's lives so I believe the comments were warranted, and he certainly should not be immune to criticism as you imply.