Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

One of the first things I had done after buying my first house was replace the driveway. I shopped around, talked to neighbors, talked to people I know "in the business", got 4 or 5 estimates, thought I did my due diligence and went with a guy that gave me a great price. Not the lowest price but what I thought was a very reasonable price based on several neighbors experiences. I was so proud of myself! 

A fleet of trucks show up, rip out the old driveway, and down the  base layer all in a day, then the guy tells me he'll be back in 2-3 weeks after the base layer "settles".  I tell this to people and they give me a weird look saying it's not typically that long.  I figured the guy saw the "new homeowner" look on my face and took advantage of it.

It turns out, this is how he operated. He's spend 3 weeks just ripping out as many driveways as possible in order to secure the job, then goes back to pave them.  I had to call several times & it still took him several weeks to get back to me.  The only thing I had in my favor is that I owed him money and wasn't going to pay for the work already done.

We have Travelers her that come by and offer to do asphalt resurfacing. It always generates a flurry of complaints from neighbors. So that was nice that they finished it. 😊

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

One of the first things I had done after buying my first house was replace the driveway. I shopped around, talked to neighbors, talked to people I know "in the business", got 4 or 5 estimates, thought I did my due diligence and went with a guy that gave me a great price. Not the lowest price but what I thought was a very reasonable price based on several neighbors experiences. I was so proud of myself! 

A fleet of trucks show up, rip out the old driveway, and down the  base layer all in a day, then the guy tells me he'll be back in 2-3 weeks after the base layer "settles".  I tell this to people and they give me a weird look saying it's not typically that long.  I figured the guy saw the "new homeowner" look on my face and took advantage of it.

It turns out, this is how he operated. He's spend 3 weeks just ripping out as many driveways as possible in order to secure the job, then goes back to pave them.  I had to call several times & it still took him several weeks to get back to me.  The only thing I had in my favor is that I owed him money and wasn't going to pay for the work already done.

That's terrible!  I called a bunch of guys too and this guy was our second choice.  The company we wanted was already booking into late November when I was scheduling two months ago and doubted he could do it this year.  This company knew he could get to it.  We have seen him working at other jobs that were done in one day, so I am hopeful he will be here Tuesday at 7am as he said. 

We had three days of rain prior to them removing the driveway.  There is water coming out of the bottom of the driveway and flowing down the street as the hill drains.  It usually comes out of my neighbors yard beside my stonewall but with the driveway out, it is coming from my yard.  I walked the driveway with them and part of it feels like you are walking on a trampoline and the part along the wall at the stairs is muddy with standing water.  It needs to dry out but 1 to 2 more inches of rain is not going to help!

I am hoping two warmer days will be enough for this to dry out before Tuesday.  I hope the next picture I post is the fully paved driveway!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We have Travelers her that come by and offer to do asphalt resurfacing. It always generates a flurry of complaints from neighbors. So that was nice that they finished it. 😊

By Travelers, do you mean those "fly-by-night" ( @dani negreanu there is a term for you to look up 🙂) guys that are here today & gone tomorrow. Licenses, permits and insurance optional?

Early on, we'd have work crews coming by knocking on the door to see it we needed our driveway sealed, trees trimmed, gutters cleaned etc. Stuff that could be done right away & completed quickly.  Haven't seen any is several years now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

That's terrible!  I called a bunch of guys too and this guy was our second choice.  The company we wanted was already booking into late November when I was scheduling two months ago and doubted he could do it this year.  This company knew he could get to it.  We have seen him working at other jobs that were done in one day, so I am hopeful he will be here Tuesday at 7am as he said. 

We had three days of rain prior to them removing the driveway.  There is water coming out of the bottom of the driveway and flowing down the street as the hill drains.  It usually comes out of my neighbors yard beside my stonewall but with the driveway out, it is coming from my yard.  I walked the driveway with them and part of it feels like you are walking on a trampoline and the part along the wall at the stairs is muddy with standing water.  It needs to dry out but 1 to 2 more inches of rain is not going to help!

I am hoping two warmer days will be enough for this to dry out before Tuesday.  I hope the next picture I post is the fully paved driveway!

You did just remind me that the guy told me - after the driveway was ripped up - that the ground underneath was very wet. No doubt caused by my cracked gutters and clogged  downspouts which was to be my next home improvement project. LOL.

I do remember that everything was pretty dry after 2 or 3 sunny, low humidity days.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures of the completed project on Wednesday.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@HBE4

As a "laywoman", I assumed that may be the amyloid deposits may precede, by a good number of years, the onset of the disease. Allowing an individual, with "history" / predilection / genes to prepare for the future [like taking early retirement, living the "day" and not the "future", making financial arrangements, etc.]

My assumption was based on the cases [in Israel] where a woman [mainly from Ashkenazi / Eastern European ancestry] has a first-degree relative who had breast / ovarian cancer.

First, she is entitled / eligible to a free BRCA test.

2) If she has the mutation, and she decides to take "preventive measures", the insurance is paying for a mastectomy / oophorectomy, and for the "reconstruction" [if this is the case].

I understand what you are saying and do not disagree with it. Perhaps I'll talk to my family doctor when I have my next physical.    But there is still a lot of questions about the accuracy of the tests and there is really no preventive measure, just slowing down a very slow disease. Also, the rate of decline can vary greatly. It was described to me as a stair case where the size of each step can very greatly. 

When she was diagnosed, I was told my mother would live 18-24 months. She lived for 9 more years.

As for insurance paying from testing and possible preventive treatment, the last 7 months of dealing with insurance companies does not give me great hope. Yes, they have covered a tremendous amount of medical bills.  But it seems like they want to have guaranteed recoveries. I get it, they are a business, not a charity.

EDIT TO ADD: However, it is a great idea and thank you for thinking of me. 🙂

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

How about a couple sunrise photos from a few days ago. Who ordered the crows?  Mr Hitchcock, That’s the last thing I want to see before Halloween.  

2C51EBC7-36B7-4427-9F0F-32C8374B2096.thumb.jpeg.ceee3f8c4615decf6746224adfd4ac2d.jpeg

Crow free.  

2AE83431-41C6-4102-8548-1CDCB0A10A19.thumb.jpeg.c68b8b8750f48986a35b458b7d4edd74.jpeg

EE155E16-7E5D-4043-9DBC-D4F0BF5BEE6E.thumb.jpeg.eca754d6e0853ce4c4b378c2a3f45afa.jpeg

More beautiful photos and the colors are pretty.

50 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

By Travelers, do you mean those "fly-by-night" ( @dani negreanu there is a term for you to look up 🙂) guys that are here today & gone tomorrow. Licenses, permits and insurance optional?

Early on, we'd have work crews coming by knocking on the door to see it we needed our driveway sealed, trees trimmed, gutters cleaned etc. Stuff that could be done right away & completed quickly.  Haven't seen any is several years now.

Yes. That is exactly what I mean. The asphalt sealing repair was a popular one along with gutters. And you're right, it has been a couple of years. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

It is a cool 52°F this morning.

It has just started raining again.

Our clocks are put back 1 hour at 2am Sunday morning so we will get an extra hours sleep before we get up for church tomorrow.

My mam died 10 years ago on November 2nd so her memory will be read out during prayers in church tomorrow.

Graham.

• Like 8

Just now, grapau27 said:

Our clocks are put back 1 hour at 2am Sunday morning so we will get an extra hours sleep before we get up for church tomorrow.

Ours too.... It always seems like a loooong - looong day....

It's so nice that you've lived in this community for many years, that your mother is remembered in the prayers of the local church.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Hasn't sold yet. Having renters is a big negative

For me, an "outsider", it is baffling.... I would imagine that a good percentage of prospective buyers are looking for an investment, and not for a place to actually live in. Since it is a sellers market, should be plenty of those, since you have a corner unit with 3 bedrooms, direct on the beach, which you said not many are on the market.

So having renters from Day 1 will be a big incentive for me.

At least, that's how it is here....

Two of the apartments my cousin bought as an investment in Tel Aviv [she lives in Germany], were apartments where renters had at least 2 years of contract left.

She was very happy to get rent immediately, without looking for ones, and "loosing" months' rent, while the apartment is empty, but the taxes go on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

It's so nice that you've lived in this community for many years, that your mother is remembered in the prayers of the local church.

Thank you Dani.

Graham.

16 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you Dani.

Father David did my mam and dad's and Pauline's mam and dad's funeral services.

Our church is in my avatar picture.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

It looks, indeed, like a very old one. I should imagine at least 100 years?

Thanks Dani.

The build was was completed in 1873.

It is 52°F and raining here.

I have just received a hospital appointment for 11-17 about my Basal cell carcinoma.

Graham.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Did you look at all into heating your driveway?  I have no idea how expensive it is, and I'd guess that it would only work with concrete, not asphalt.  I really like the idea of flicking a switch and having light snow coverings just melt, or maybe never accumulate to begin with. 

I remember that the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, where the Buffalo Sabres played when I was growing up, had this outside their main doors.  You would walk through snow covered streets or sidewalks to get to the building and then find a big rectangular area that was either completely dry or clear of snow but a little wet.  I always though that was very cool.

• Like 6