Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

UGHHHHH. Fake. Hallmark and Lifetime stuff. And how everything falls into place is just amazing, right!🙄

BTW I do love that ad about the plumber Steve knocking the door!!!!! It's hilarious! And they have described themselves perfectly in that ad.😁

Toby can watch Hallmark movies 24/7.I want to leave the room when she is watching them.The only ones I can tolerate are the murder mystery ones.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That does not help.There is a guy who I post to a lot on CC.He asked if I wanted to exchange e-mail addresses with him.Both of us were reluctant to post our e-mail addresses on CC.I joined another travel board that he posts on solely to exchange e-mail addresses and immediately left the board.

Having said that the person who has the most adorable dog who posts on this thread posted his e-mail address on here and a guy who posts a lot on CC but not on this thread felt okay to post his on a CC board and we have become e-mail friends.

Boards like this disable PM because some people use PMs inappropriately.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We cut the cord about 2 years ago.  Our small cooperative that provides cable, phone and internet sent a letter explaining why they had to raise cable rates.  They also strongly suggested we switch to streaming and gave us the sites to see which service was best for us.  We thought it was amazing they were advising subscribers to drop them.  Being a cooperative, we get a rebate each year.  Our electricity comes from a cooperative too.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ATG said:

We cut the cord about 2 years ago.  Our small cooperative that provides cable, phone and internet sent a letter explaining why they had to raise cable rates.  They also strongly suggested we switch to streaming and gave us the sites to see which service was best for us.  We thought it was amazing they were advising subscribers to drop them.  Being a cooperative, we get a rebate each year.  Our electricity comes from a cooperative too.  

Our Condo only allows two Cable companies .We were using one and the charges got so high that we changed to the second one.

22 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot fathom how many times I saw the movie,probably more than 50 and I do not remember Bert and Ernie.😀

Even in the muppet movie “Elmo Saves Christmas”, the muppets Bert and Ernie are confused when they hear their names in It’s a Wonderful Life”. 

Now I know I pay too much attention to little things in some movies.

Edited by h20skibum
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I got a notice that rates are going  up next month. I'm tempted to call and cancel service to see what kind of deal they might offer.

Our DirectTV doubled at year one anniversary. 

I'd cancel but the wife signed a 2 year contract

Our HOA here has a decent negotiated rate for cable.  We have the option of antiquated DVR boxes or an app using a firestick. We moved to the firestick a few months back and have been happy, especially with the reduced rate, much better than our rates in NJ.  Our son is in PA and hus rates have gone thru the roof, hubby called saying he was son, threatened to leave, reduce, etc, and they said fine go, trying g to figure out what to do there.  None 9f it is easy, way too much.

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Will your HOA allow you to put an antenna on the roof?😇

Actually yes, we can attach to a dish on the roof 

But really no need. My cable bill for DVR, GOLD service, and land line is only $65

Gold includes about 500 channels including HBO and Showtime.  I can even watch HBO from Ocala using my Spectrum credentials 

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Actually yes, we can attach to a dish on the roof 

But really no need. My cable bill for DVR, GOLD service, and land line is only $65

Gold includes about 500 channels including HBO and Showtime.  I can even watch HBO from Ocala using my Spectrum credentials 

I pay more than twice that for far fewer channels and not includiing a landline which I have with a different company.

2 hours ago, Sheal said:

How does the youtube tv work?  Do you pay a subscription fee?  I would love to cut the cord but the DH has an addiction to cable TV. 

It’s a lot like cable TV but the signal comes thru your internet connection rather than a dedicated cable. Since it’s internet based, you can watch on a computer, tablet, phone, or TV. You must either have a smart TV that has the YouTube TV app, or a Roku like device plugged into your TV that gets the content from the internet. It has most of the same (85) channels as cable and costs $65 per month. That doesn’t include the separate monthly internet cost from your existing internet provider. If your internet is thru your cable provider, you will still need to pay them for internet and will likely lose a bundling discount. We pay AT&T for our internet and that’s it. 

The cloud based DVR is a nice feature. Instead of having a DVR box in your house, anything that you want to record is stored in the cloud. When you want to watch it, you play it back from the cloud on any device anywhere (so long as you have a reasonably fast internet connection). You get the same pause, rewind, fast forward as a cable DVR. Because it’s in the cloud, storage is unlimited. Whatever you select to record gets deleted after 9 months (I think). 

Our newer TVs are smart and our older TVs have Roku sticks plugged in. They all therefore have the YouTube TV app plus Netflix, Prime, Disney+, etc. Although YouTube TV itself is significantly cheaper than cable, I don’t think we’re saving a lot when you add up everything. But we do get a better selection than just cable with Netflix, etc. 

More info about YouTube TV here:

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've never seen It's a Wonderful life.  I've seen bits of pieces of some scenes (hard not to when channel changing at Xmas time), but never the whole movie start to finish.  Yes...there's something wrong with me.  

I've seen it several times. I ALWAYS cry at the end.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We just watched "It’s a Wonderful Life" earlier this week.

Jimmy Stewart at his best.

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

'A Christmas Story

A winner in our house.  Can't stop laughing at Cousin Eddy.  In ALL the vacation movies.

Favorite Christmas songs: Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Amy Grant or Andy Williams. 

Sleigh Bells - Johnny Mathis or The Ronettes.  Remember them?  I keep thinking of "Be My Baby" opening song for the movie Dirty Dancing!

Favorite Chanukah song: Chanukah Song- Adam Sandler

More than one version.  All hysterically funny.  1st version is my favorite and more accurate than the other 2.

@dani negreanu Dani here's hoping you and your DH can make the Bella Cruise. It would be amazing to finally meet you both.  Let's hope by then, the pandemic and all variants will be a distant bad memory never to appear again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

That's how I feel about "Die Hard". And just about every movie on the Hallmark Channel, they are really just cheesy love stories that happen to have a Christmas tree in the background.  They are not Christmas movies.

However, "Its a Wonderful Life" has Christmas magic in it, so therefore, its a Christmas movie.

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Die Hard and Meet me in St Louis

I used to hear all the arguments about Die Hard not being a Christmas movie. I finally watched it and yes I consider it a Christmas movie. It's no different than a lot of other holiday movies. It's a movie set at Christmas time.

Here is a song I put on my Christmas compilation CD a few years ago about Die Hard. It's really good and hilarious at 3:35 in...give it a listen.

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

'A Christmas Story

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is my all time favorite. I have watched it every year since it came out. It's one of my Christmas traditions.

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I love A Christmas Story.  It is so true to how things were back in the day😁

A Christmas Story is a great classic too. A cult favorite that will be popular years to come.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We cut the cord for our shore house.  Plan is to cut the cord at home too. 

Xfinity has been running a internet only special of $29.99 a month for 2 year contract. By the time your done with rental and taxes comes to little under $45 a month.  We did that at the shore house.

I tried to do at home but we have xfinity so they told us something like $75 a month.  Will probably cut the cord on the triple bundle this month as it just went another $20 something.

Where we live there is no internet competition.  Suddenlink or sloooow expensive satellite.  My cellular 5g is fast enough down the street but not my living room.  If it were faster I would be tempted to just use it.  

• Like 1

On another note, I just finished watching all 3 parts (nearly 8 hours) of the incredible Peter Jackson documentary on the Beatles "Get Back." This is watching musical history in the making. It is so good. The insight the doc gives onto the Beatles creative process as well as the pressures of being in a band with strong willed people is a must see for everyone. The music they created is timeless and the look into their personal struggles with each other is so candid and revealing. It's amazing all this footage sat unseen for years. Peter Jackson's edit and telling of their story without any narration is nothing short of brilliant. I do recommend anyone watching this to watch with the subtitles on as there is a lot of conversations going on at the same time. Go watch you will be glad you did. It is on Disney Plus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

What is Bella's Cruise?

Jimbo, where have you been? 🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Does anyone on this thread besides me work? How do you create soooo many pages between lunch and dinner?😯😯😯😯🤔🤔🤔🤔

It doesn’t help when someone writes each sentence separately and leaves one to two blank spaces above and below the sentences. 🙄  What can be written in one or two paragraphs takes up almost half a page. It looks weird.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3

We are having an extended wet spell here in Sydney. Apart from work, we have been going to cinema alot.

The Sydney Film Festival was on so we saw:

Dune (2021) Excellent 

The French Despatch (Wes Andersen) - did not understand. Need to watch again at home with subtitles…(We loved his previous film The Grand Budapest Hotel)

The Rescue - National Geographic documentary on the Thai soccer team & their young coach who were trapped deep within the cave system in Thailand for 18 days - fascinating documentary.

We also went to The Gutsy Girls Film Festival. A series of short films shown in a single screening of adventurous women doing outdoor challenges around the world.  The scenery is always stunning and the adventures, often done solo are impressive.   We watch it & the Ocean film Festival every year.

74EC52B2-1998-4CAE-8B46-2A141621204B.jpeg

DC2B360A-4A84-4EFA-BA5E-1515256EDEC7.jpeg

61A808C7-1A02-4E89-9E92-647345DB6A76.jpeg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

(We loved his previous film The Grand Budapest Hotel)

The Rescue - National Geographic documentary on the Thai soccer team & their young coach who were trapped deep within the cave system in Thailand for 18 days - fascinating documentary.

Welcome back 🌺

I too loved The Grand Budapest Hotel.

We were holding our breath and crossing our fingers for all those trapped kids. It's a miracle that they managed to save them all, albeit with the price of one of the divers' death...😢😢

• Like 3

Unfortunately, there is still no indication yet of when cruising will resume here….you are all so fortunate to be cruising.  My friend has a small ship cruise booked here in Western Australia for May.  WA border is still shut to us.  I hope that by the time May rolls around, they are permitted in…and I have my fingers crossed for friends who want to spend Christmas with their families in Queensland. It is also shut to us but the plan is for the border to open on the 17 Dec.  Hoping the new variant doesn’t affect that plan…

Missing seeing the cruise ships in Sydney Harbour…here is a flashback photo from 2012 when my daughter performed a flash mob with 200 fellow One Direction fans at Circular Quay (you were talking about 1D a little while back)

BDE9DD00-E997-4B6A-9A78-ADB166F1F9F8.jpeg

6D84CD03-CDAE-437B-90D9-679512575811.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1