Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes my SAG vote did win for best picture. I had most of the pics.

Now for my comments on the slap heard around the world. I wanted to wait a few days to see how the news played out.

I watched and was outraged what Will Smith did. He ruined  the night for himself, the others who won and the Oscars. Was the joke in bad taste yes but I never ever condone violence. I hope Will Smith gets banned from the Oscar’s to set an example that kind of behavior will not be tolerated.

I think Kareem Abdul Jabbar said it best in his op ed titled “Will Smith did a bad, bad thing.” He said “When Will Smith stormed onto the Oscar stage to strike Chris Rock for making a joke about his wife’s short hair, he did a lot more damage than just to Rock’s face. With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community”

The fact that Will Smith has apologized publicly to save face but has not spoken face to face with Chris Rock shows the cowardice of Smith.

I respect Smith as an actor and felt he deserved the Oscar but after the “Slap” he should have been forced to leave and not hear his name called. I now have no respect for him as a man.

just my two cents.

Excellent assessment,Greg.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@Ocean Boy How are things going with the new phone?  Did everything transfer the way you wanted?  Are you liking it?

The transfer was amazingly easy using Samsung Smart Switch. You can either use wifi or connect the two phones with a USB cable. You start Smart Switch on both phones then tell each phone if they are giving or receiving, check what you want transfered and tap start. Seven minutes later everything in my S8 was in my S22 including setting. The S22 even knew which of my photos I use for my home screen and set it up.

Oddly, some passwords transferred and some didn't. I had to reload my home wifi password but when I went over to my parent's house the phone automatically connected. Most of my apps needed passwords put in. I also had to pair it with my ear buds and my car.

I am liking the phone in that it feels very familiar so not much learning curve other than the camera. It reminds me of RCI where you sail on Oasis and then Allure or the V/F class ships and though they have differences, they feel very familiar. Though the phone is unlocked and not AT&T branded, it is able to do wifi calling which I am very happy about as my S8 could not. I'm looking forward to learning the camera. I'm still a little unhappy about not having an SD memory card capability but I'll manage.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Now for my comments on the slap heard around the world. I wanted to wait a few days to see how the news played out.

I watched and was outraged what Will Smith did. He ruined  the night for himself, the others who won and the Oscars. Was the joke in bad taste yes but I never ever condone violence. I hope Will Smith gets banned from the Oscar’s to set an example that kind of behavior will not be tolerated.

I think Kareem Abdul Jabbar said it best in his op ed titled “Will Smith did a bad, bad thing.” He said “When Will Smith stormed onto the Oscar stage to strike Chris Rock for making a joke about his wife’s short hair, he did a lot more damage than just to Rock’s face. With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community”

The fact that Will Smith has apologized publicly to save face but has not spoken face to face with Chris Rock shows the cowardice of Smith.

I respect Smith as an actor and felt he deserved the Oscar but after the “Slap” he should have been forced to leave and not hear his name called. I now have no respect for him as a man.

just my two cents.

I think you have it pretty much nailed.  I am pretty certain, if I had paid a bazillion dollars to sit on the front row of the Oscars and I had punched/slapped Chris Rock I would be in jail.  

Hence, the problem, as I see it.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

just my two cents.

Greg, very well said.  And in addition to the slap, Will Smith's shout to Chris about keeping his ****** mouth shut was vile.  Pure entitlement.  Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Has anyone been watching Below Deck Australia?  What’s you take?  The obvious one to me, is the Captain who is a micromanager.

No. I would watch if it was on Bravo but I don't want to pay extra for Peacock. After a while it should be shown on Bravo. We'll, at least that's what they did with the Real Housewives Ultimate Girls Trip.

I have heard the chef is a real jerk.

On another Below Deck note...remember The Queen of Versailles who sailed with Cap Lee twice? They were the ones who were told not to bring up the death of their son due to an overdose, so of course they did. Their own show will be on Peacock about building this huge house. 30-car garage and 90,000 sq ft (which she thinks might not be big enough).

Edited by Bailey & Sophie
Adding info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

just my two cents.

Will Smith was a coward , hitting a much smaller man that had his hands behind his back at the time, more or less he was just a punk . Whoever was in charge of the academy awards then should never be again allowed to run it. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The transfer was amazingly easy using Samsung Smart Switch. You can either use wifi or connect the two phones with a USB cable. You start Smart Switch on both phones then tell each phone if they are giving or receiving, check what you want transfered and tap start. Seven minutes later everything in my S8 was in my S22 including setting. The S22 even knew which of my photos I use for my home screen and set it up.

Oddly, some passwords transferred and some didn't. I had to reload my home wifi password but when I went over to my parent's house the phone automatically connected. Most of my apps needed passwords put in. I also had to pair it with my ear buds and my car.

I am liking the phone in that it feels very familiar so not much learning curve other than the camera. It reminds me of RCI where you sail on Oasis and then Allure or the V/F class ships and though they have differences, they feel very familiar. Though the phone is unlocked and not AT&T branded, it is able to do wifi calling which I am very happy about as my S8 could not. I'm looking forward to learning the camera. I'm still a little unhappy about not having an SD memory card capability but I'll manage.

Good to hear the transfer went well. Same thing happened with my wifi passwords.  I was also wanting the SD memory too but so far the 256 GB has been way more space than I need.  Lots of good YouTube videos on the camera.  Glad you are liking the phone.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning from North East England.

Snow and ice here this morning and 32°F but it is now sunny at 9 am and 38°F.

I hope everyone is well.

Take care

Is that your parish church in your profile photo Graham?

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Thanks 1

At a risk of sounding like a broken record, today was very wet. Several heavy downpours.  It was also much cooler, with winds and rough seas.  

My friend who is a frequent cruiser with Royal has booked two cruises in the upcoming Australian season.  First one on Ovation for 10 days to the South Pacific - Noumea, Vila (it’s an overnight docking there) and Mystery Island.  The second cruise is Ovation to New Zealand for 14 days.  This one is booked for early in 2023, by which time they are hopeful that the NZ ports will be open. They have not yet been advised what the cruising protocols on board will be.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Good to hear the transfer went well. Same thing happened with my wifi passwords.  I was also wanting the SD memory too but so far the 256 GB has been way more space than I need.  Lots of good YouTube videos on the camera.  Glad you are liking the phone.

One thing I found last night is I have several video files that have WMA autio tracks that played on my S8 but I only get the video on this S22. Any idea what I can do to get the audio to play?

One other thing I didn't mention was all of my calendar entries transferred which I was really happy to see.

• Like 4

On 3/29/2022 at 8:13 PM, Momof3gurlz said:

Thanks to both of you!

Update on supply issues, they are currently out of Grey Goose Vodka, but do have Belvedere. 

Also heard a very upset woman in MDR when told out of Canadian Club.    They offered her several other options and she was making quite a fuss.    Really!!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm still a little unhappy about not having an SD memory card capability but I'll manage.

How much memory did you end up getting on your new phone?  What % of it are you using after doing the transfer.  As @Ozark_Kid said, you'll probably find that you have way more space than needed, even without the SD card.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

One thing I found last night is I have several video files that have WMA autio tracks that played on my S8 but I only get the video on this S22. Any idea what I can do to get the audio to play?

One other thing I didn't mention was all of my calendar entries transferred which I was really happy to see.

I'm an iPhone guy so I can't help with any S22 settings.  If you can't figure it out on the phone, try copying the file to a computer and loading it into the free video editing program that came with the computer (iMovie on a Mac or Video Editor on a Windows computer).  Then just save/export to a common video format like .mp4 and copy back to your phone.  The software should transcode the file to the new format.  It's a little bit of a pain doing this so I'd only bother for videos that you will definitely watch on your phone in the future.  Leave the rest on your computer in an archive location so that they don't take up space on your phone.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Update on supply issues, they are currently out of Grey Goose Vodka, but do have Belvedere. 

Also heard a very upset woman in MDR when told out of Canadian Club.    They offered her several other options and she was making quite a fuss.    Really!!

I'd bet $100 that she could not pick out Canadian Club if she did a blind taste test with the other options, particularly if she drinks it with a mixer like ginger ale.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Here is the excellent op ed from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I think his take is spot on.

https://kareem.substack.com/p/will-smith-did-a-bad-bad-thing?s=r

Thanks for the link.  That was a very well written article.  I gave up watching any of these type of award shows several years ago.  For the people who do great work "behind the scenes" in movies and TV shows, the Oscars and the Emmys are a great chance to be recognized for your work.  Those awards often aren't even on TV anymore...they are given out at a separate event.  For the "talent" themselves, I think Kareem summed it up well:

But Hollywood awards shows are traditionally a venue where much worse things have been said about celebrities as a means of downplaying the fact that it’s basically a gathering of multimillionaires giving each other awards to boost business so they can make even more money.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

How much memory did you end up getting on your new phone?  What % of it are you using after doing the transfer.  As @Ozark_Kid said, you'll probably find that you have way more space than needed, even without the SD card.

256GB of storage with 69GB being used.

I did some googling apparently Samsung supported WMA files until the S20 came out. That is why my S8 played them. No idea why they changed this. I plan to pose the question to Samsung. I doubt I'll get a reply.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Thank goodness you did get notice.  It sure beats driving there only to find out they are no longer doing it there.

We go to Walgreens tomorrow morning for our tests..🤞

Good luck with your tests today.   Hopefully results are negative and arrive much sooner than previous tests😍

• Like 3

10 hours ago, George C said:

Will Smith was a coward , hitting a much smaller man that had his hands behind his back at the time, more or less he was just a punk . Whoever was in charge of the academy awards then should never be again allowed to run it. 

totally agree George. I hope he gets a lifetime ban. Academy needs to send a strong message.

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That is ridiculous. Canadian Club isn’t even that good. I’m sure they offered a higher end substitute. Shame on her for making a fuss.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks for the link.  That was a very well written article.  I gave up watching any of these type of award shows several years ago.  For the people who do great work "behind the scenes" in movies and TV shows, the Oscars and the Emmys are a great chance to be recognized for your work.  Those awards often aren't even on TV anymore...they are given out at a separate event.  For the "talent" themselves, I think Kareem summed it up well:

But Hollywood awards shows are traditionally a venue where much worse things have been said about celebrities as a means of downplaying the fact that it’s basically a gathering of multimillionaires giving each other awards to boost business so they can make even more money.

Yes it upsets me that many of the technical categories have been moved to another night and not televised. I was especially upset when they did not do the “Best Score” live but on tape. The music in a movie is just as important as the acting.

35 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Do you need the peacock plus or just regular peacock?

I can watch it on just the regular peacock app.

• Like 5