Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My dream would be to sail out of NY and pass by the Statue of Liberty on a cruise ship.  
We are fortunate to not need to book flights or accommodation prior to a Sydney departure.  We can be on a cruise ship at the OPT within 40mins of leaving home via public transport. A bit longer if the cruise departs from White Bay.

That is one thing I am looking forward to on our TA next year.   Although we are technically close to the port (less than 6 hour drive) we have never sailed from Cape Liberty.  We were supposed to, but that was the first cruise we had canceled by Covid.  

I started following a live thread by jim_lain for a B3B on the Celebrity Silhouette.  They just had a stop at Ponta Delgada, and it so happens that they did an excursion we are considering.  I have too many tabs open on CC for things I am following.

Happy Easter and Passover.  

In the meantime, my desert from yesterday!   Yum!

D0E71E97-B479-4D39-85F1-B5CC51B7BC44.thumb.jpeg.480e2b726dcabf65595b4dfad5e64fa2.jpeg

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@Sea Dog Ok, I was at the liquor store yesterday (gave up alcohol for Lent, wasted no time getting ready for it to end😇) and picked up a bottle of this Kraken Rum that you are always talking about. Now give me some ideas on what to mix it in that don't require much effort. I guess I could be described as a lazy drinker.🤔😀 Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Last I checked, Galveston Parking was approx. $90 for the duration of a week cruise.  It's why we always book a hotel pre cruise that keeps our car for no fee for the duration of the cruise.  

$90 a week is very reasonable compared to NJ for $175 week.     Last I heard Baltimore port is $15/day $105/week which isn't too bad.     Happy that we are able to drive to local ports of Baltimore in 2 to 2.5 hours and Bayonne in 1.5 to 2 hrs.   

I do enjoy some of the itineraries out of FL and have occasionally flown to FL but in the last year we didn't feel comfortable with the idea of flying so everything we have booked is out of NJ or MD.    

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

@Sea Dog Ok, I was at the liquor store yesterday (gave up alcohol for Lent, wasted no time getting ready for it to end😇) and picked up a bottle of this Kraken Rum that you are always talking about. Now give me some ideas on what to mix it in that don't require much effort. I guess I could be described as a lazy drinker.🤔😀 Thanks!

here is link with some easy drinks to make with Kraken.    I have never had a kraken espresso martini yet but sounds good! 

https://www.krakenrum.com/cocktails/#

I am sure @Sea Dogwill have some great recipes!

Also want to try a Dark n Stormy with Kraken after seeing the experiment the other day done by @bobmacliberty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Lenny, it’s clear to me that you have a loving family who take care of you and think highly of you. Obviously, the grand puppy feels the same way.

Yes,that is correct.My son in law who lives a few minutes away from me works from home two days a week.He calls every Sunday to let us know which days and tells us that he will make himself available to take me to doctors or anything else we may need.His wife,my daughter calls me at least once a day,every day to see how I am feeling.My granddaughters call or FaceTime be nearly every day.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My dream would be to sail out of NY and pass by the Statue of Liberty on a cruise ship.  
We are fortunate to not need to book flights or accommodation prior to a Sydney departure.  We can be on a cruise ship at the OPT within 40mins of leaving home via public transport. A bit longer if the cruise departs from White Bay.

Even though I have lived in NY my entire life I have only been to the Statue of Liberty 5 times.

Perhaps one day you will cruise out of NY😀

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

$90 a week is very reasonable compared to NJ for $175 week.     Last I heard Baltimore port is $15/day $105/week which isn't too bad.     Happy that we are able to drive to local ports of Baltimore in 2 to 2.5 hours and Bayonne in 1.5 to 2 hrs.   

I do enjoy some of the itineraries out of FL and have occasionally flown to FL but in the last year we didn't feel comfortable with the idea of flying so everything we have booked is out of NJ or MD.    

We are 5 hours from the Baltimore cruise port and 90 minutes from Bayonne .Although we live in NY we have never driven to the Manhattan cruise port.When we have cruised out of the port we either take a car service or have a family member take us.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Last I checked, Galveston Parking was approx. $90 for the duration of a week cruise.  It's why we always book a hotel pre cruise that keeps our car for no fee for the duration of the cruise.  

Where do you like to stay? First time to Galveston this October. Staying at the Beachfront Palms.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Casamigos Tequila Anejo

I'll have to try that. I had no idea George Clooney was a cofounder.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Debbie's link is a good one. The one I make the most is a Kraken Colada.

Kraken colada recipe 

16oz ice

5oz colada mix

2 oz Kraken rum

Mix in blender

Pour 1oz of Kraken on top after filling glass.

Kraken Lava Flow 

1.5 oz light rum

1oz Kraken

2 oz coconut cream

2 oz pineapple juice

2 oz fresh or frozen strawberries 

1 banana 

Mix strawberries and rum place contents at bottom of glass mix together then mix unused ingredients with crushed ice pour into glass

Top with 1oz shot of Kraken Rum

Kraken Dark ’N’ Stormy

2oz Kraken Rum

3 1/3oz Ginger Beer

couple dashes of bitters 

garnish with lime wedge

Have fun and cheers!

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

here is link with some easy drinks to make with Kraken.    I have never had a kraken espresso martini yet but sounds good! 

https://www.krakenrum.com/cocktails/#

I am sure @Sea Dogwill have some great recipes!

Also want to try a Dark n Stormy with Kraken after seeing the experiment the other day done by @bobmacliberty

Great list Debbie! That Kraken Espresso Martini sounds very interesting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Even though I have lived in NY my entire life I have only been to the Statue of Liberty 5 times.

That's 5 times more than me & I've lived in NY all my life too. 

I tried once, 30-35 years ago. Got to the island but the line to get into the statue was 2 - 2 1/2 hours long. The heat was oppressive with no relief in sight so I jumped off the line vowing to come back some other day.  That was 30+ years ago. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I tried once, 30-35 years ago. Got to the island but the line to get into the statue was 2 - 2 1/2 hours long. The heat was oppressive with no relief in sight so I jumped off the line vowing to come back some other day.  That was 30+ years ago. 

My parents took me there when I was 6.The next time I was there was when my wife and I were dating.The next time was 34 years later when we went with a group of friends.In 2007 I was the organizer for a school reunion.Even though everyone who attended grew up in NY many had never been there and I booked a group tour.My wife and I went back in 2018.

In 2015 we joined a Senior Tour group and got to see many historic sites in NYS that we never went to before.In a 5 year period we went to 45 places.

• Like 6

From 1970 to 2015 my wife and I chose a different state to self tour and see as much as possible.We did not go every year but most years.The states we went to were New York,New Jersey,CT,Rhode Island,Vermont,Virginia ,Texas ,PA and Maine.We did some with our children .We also toured as much of Canada as possible.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I was there once as part of a school trip and what I remember most of all was the naked man trying to climb the Statue of Liberty.    

He was then on our ferry ride under custody.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

9 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I took the Staten Island ferry to summer day camp for 9 summers passing the Statue of Liberty.  My parents sailed into NY harbor from Europe so many years ago.  That statue always made me stop and stare at it thoughtfully.  I will never forget the meaning it had for me; freedom and hope.

I hope you get to experience that feeling in person one day soon.

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Hope those celebrating have a wonderful Easter!!

Debbie, you're lucky you have not 1 but 2 ports to  cruise from. I wish the Bella cruise did a different itinerary than W. Caribbean.  Sailing mostly out of Galveston, that's the itinerary most of our cruises took. 

We once sailed out of Manhattan for a Canada itinerary.  Even though I grew up in lower Manhattan it was cool to sail along all of the landmarks I was familiar with.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Where do you like to stay? First time to Galveston this October. Staying at the Beachfront Palms.

I'll have to try that. I had no idea George Clooney was a cofounder.

Debbie's link is a good one. The one I make the most is a Kraken Colada.

Kraken colada recipe 

16oz ice

5oz colada mix

2 oz Kraken rum

Mix in blender

Pour 1oz of Kraken on top after filling glass.

Kraken Lava Flow 

1.5 oz light rum

1oz Kraken

2 oz coconut cream

2 oz pineapple juice

2 oz fresh or frozen strawberries 

1 banana 

Mix strawberries and rum place contents at bottom of glass mix together then mix unused ingredients with crushed ice pour into glass

Top with 1oz shot of Kraken Rum

Kraken Dark ’N’ Stormy

2oz Kraken Rum

3 1/3oz Ginger Beer

couple dashes of bitters 

garnish with lime wedge

Have fun and cheers!

Great list Debbie! That Kraken Espresso Martini sounds very interesting.

Greg, last time we stayed in Galveston was in 2018.  I think we stayed at  Quality Inn on Seawall.  Free breakfast, free parking for duration of the cruise and one block from a Kroger supermarket to fill in on stuff we forgot to pack.  Great location on Seawall.  Rooms were ok for the night.  We used points so not sure how much it was per night at that time.  We would not hesitate to book it again.

Galveston is a great town. We love to meander up and down The Strand.  Lots of quaint shops.  Walking along the Seawall so close to the sea is very soothing.

@firefly333Jane would know more about Galveston hotels having cruised a few times very recently.  She does her research well.

• Like 6