Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Today is a picture perfect day on the RI coast. It is 76°F with a slight breeze, blue sky, and the fog bank had moved out to sea. Just finish a 30 mile bike ride and feeling really good. Loads of people on the beach. Good day in RI.

Same here except for the bike ride.I have never been on a bike.

16 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Our long day is over.  I have never seen such an outpouring of love from so many people.  There were my daughter’s fellow teachers, family , friends and even some strangers who just felt sad.  The kids said their goodbyes and our hearts broke a little more.

Going to bed now and hope to finally get a decent sleep.  Thanks again for your kind thoughts and prayers.

Marietta

We were thinking of you yesterday Marietta.

Sending our love and prayers 🙏 to you,your daughter, grandchildren and all your family.

Graham and Pauline xx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good evening.

We were at church this morning then had a drive to the beach and had lunch and a coffee looking out to sea.

We have been sitting in our conservatory relaxing for a few hours now.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

16532442583934811191178869389443.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

There's nothing like a stay in the home pet sitter.  Which I have had for years for free.  Now she doesn't want to stay on any trips longer than 7 nights so I have found a lady that takes dogs in her house and they have free range.  I would like to pay an overnight person but for some trips that cost would be more or close to what my cruise costs😇  Cost prohibitive for me

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Today is a picture perfect day on the RI coast. It is 76°F with a slight breeze, blue sky, and the fog bank had moved out to sea. Just finish a 30 mile bike ride and feeling really good. Loads of people on the beach. Good day in RI.

30 mile ride I'm impressed.   I only did 8 or 9 miles today.  It sure is beautiful here too!    Enjoy!

We are all done our weekend chores and about to start happy hour on the deck with 2 of our neighbors.   Time for Mojitos.  Cheers!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

30 mile ride I'm impressed.   I only did 8 or 9 miles today.  It sure is beautiful here too!    Enjoy!

We are all done our weekend chores and about to start happy hour on the deck with 2 of our neighbors.   Time for Mojitos.  Cheers!

A mojito was my end of day drink that I would have on Allure before getting cleaned up, showering, and getting the evening's activities. Geeze I miss being on that ship.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Greg, what does bottled in bond mean??  I'm glad to hear you've gotten to acquire your own bottle!!  I'm not a bourbon drinker, but at a gathering at my neighbors back in October, I met a young man who is a distributor?? and was given a shot of some bourbon that is/was not available at the liquor stores here.  Anyway, I was told it was very "smooth"...I had no idea what that meant..lol!  It was delicious, by the way!😉

Thanks for asking Maryann. A lot of people don't know about bottled in bond but it's been around for many years.

Bottled in bond is a label for an American-made distilled beverage that has been aged and bottled according to a set of legal regulations contained in the United States government's Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits, as originally laid out in the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897

So what's does it take for a bottle of whiskey or bourbon to be BIB?

1) The liquor must be the product of one distillation season (January–June or July–December) by one distiller at one distillery.

2) It must have been aged in a federally bonded warehouse under U.S. government supervision for at least four years and bottled at 100 (U.S.) proof (50% alcohol by volume).

3) The bottled product's label must identify the distillery where it was distilled and, if different, where it was bottled. Only spirits produced in the United States may be designated as bonded.

"Smoothness" is simply that. Smooth whiskeys are typically defined as those that are easily drinkable without producing a scratching or burning sensation in the mouth. It usually has a lower proof so the alcohol content does not burn going down. Some people prefer the burn I don't.

I'm curious to what he served you. I imagine it was pretty good.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Greg for this explanation about Bottled in Bond.  Very interesting!  Jim had heard of BIB, but didn't know what that meant.  So, now he knows also, since I just read this post to him.  😊

The bourbon that was served to me was very good.  If I can remember to ask my neighbor, I'm sure she will remember what bourbon it was that I was given.  It was smooth!😉  Thank you for the explanation of smooth, also!   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks for asking Maryann. A lot of people don't know about bottled in bond but it's been around for many years.

Bottled in bond is a label for an American-made distilled beverage that has been aged and bottled according to a set of legal regulations contained in the United States government's Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits, as originally laid out in the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897

So what's does it take for a bottle of whiskey or bourbon to be BIB?

1) The liquor must be the product of one distillation season (January–June or July–December) by one distiller at one distillery.

2) It must have been aged in a federally bonded warehouse under U.S. government supervision for at least four years and bottled at 100 (U.S.) proof (50% alcohol by volume).

3) The bottled product's label must identify the distillery where it was distilled and, if different, where it was bottled. Only spirits produced in the United States may be designated as bonded.

"Smoothness" is simply that. Smooth whiskeys are typically defined as those that are easily drinkable without producing a scratching or burning sensation in the mouth. It usually has a lower proof so the alcohol content does not burn going down. Some people prefer the burn I don't.

I'm curious to what he served you. I imagine it was pretty good.

Very interesting.  Thank you for the explanation as I had no idea what BIB meant either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Geeze I miss being on that ship.

I miss being on it, and I just got off this morning.  

Maybe it had something to do with trying to find food, and mixing my own drinks. Susan kept rejecting my sea pass card. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Very bumpy ride from Ft. Lauderdale to Pittsburgh today.  

Got home to check out the storm damage from last night.  No trees down on our property, but lots of branches and leaves. Largest branches were about 6 inch diameter. 

A couple of our neighbors were not so lucky. They lost a couple 30 + inch diameter trees. 

I spent about 5 hours on storm clean up, and will have a full day tomorrow to finish it.  Meanwhile, Susan got all the laundry done an put away.  She is amazing!!!

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Everyone seems to be different on when they test negative.   Did he get a PCR test or the rapid antigen test?    Sorry to hear you have a lingering cough.    Does your Doc want you to get chest xray or scan?    My MIL was told to get an xray 2 weeks after her positive test. But she's in her 90s.  

We both got rapid antigen tests done at CVS. I haven’t contacted my dr about my covid. I don’t think my cough is bad enough to let her know.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

@aussielozzie18Are you familiar with the hotels in the Rocks? I was looking at the Rendezvous and the Harbor Rocks Hotel. Still looking to see if there are others also that might be of interest. Any thoughts on any of them?

Hi Renee.  I would recommend asking in the Sydney TripAdvisor forum.  KVE is the hotel expert and will give you excellent current feedback on the best options for you.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Hi Renee.  I would recommend asking in the Sydney TripAdvisor forum.  KVE is the hotel expert and will give you excellent current feedback on the best options for you.

Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.

58 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.

Renee, we stayed at HI Old Sydney, now Rydges. The location was excellent, the hotel was clean and the staff very nice. Not luxurious. Location, location, location. I would stay there again.

Located in the historic Rocks district, Rydges Sydney Harbor (formerly Holiday Inn Old Sydney) features a rooftop swimming pool offering views of Sydney

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Keksie said:

That is why we use a house sitter.  Expensive but I know what is happening with the pets and the house.  In Texas we used to use a pet sitter who did not stay at the house.  Came home to a frig that had not been cooling for several days.  Icky.  When we had a house sitter the air conditioner quit on a Saturday.  He and the neighbor across the street (who has a million relatives in the area) had someone out that day and got it fixed before night.  Several times the house sitter has gotten a pet to the vet before the illness became severe because by staying at house they could observe changes in behavior.  

Our last two trips we've come up with a new solution, more for Molly the Collie than the house.  The original deal when we got molly was our son would co-parent, but times change and with a new baby on the way and a crazy pup who molly doesn't really like we had to come up with a new solution. 

So one of his school friends who we've also know since childhood lives in a house share and is more than happy to have sole occupancy of our house with garden. He WFH so is there all the time, and walks molly twice a day.

We trust him and our son is around to keep an eye on things.  Win win for us and him, though we also give him £20 a day to keep it on a semi formal basis 

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love riding.

When Gary worked at offices near Heathrow he often cycled the 22 miles each way to work. He's also done numerous charity bike rides London to Paris. But his longest bike ride was Victoria Island to Halifax. He got knocked over in the prairies and broke a rib so took a train part way to Ontario. Then cycled back to Stratford to stay with friends and then carried onto the Maritimes. 

He now uses a electric bike, helps with the hills

• Like 8

Containing the chat on whisky, our youngest son is getting into single malts and bought a bottle of Japanese whisky for Gary for birthday. Its quite strong 43% proof but smooth.  TBH single malt is wasted on Gary as he drowns it in ginger ale

20220523_093929.thumb.jpg.d859b7de09a8445104345748c5d48fb4.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

We both got rapid antigen tests done at CVS. I haven’t contacted my dr about my covid. I don’t think my cough is bad enough to let her know.

A cough will often linger after an infection has resolved. It happens because of residual inflammation and secretions that takes time to clear.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4