Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We just returned from Denver for a funeral and wedding, seems to be a shame that some families only get together for when someone is born, dies or gets married. We see most family members yearly , it was a great get together, my mom was 96 and was happy to pass so no tragedy,all three of her children are collecting social security and fairly successful. 

Edited by George C
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

It’s not the home; we love our house.  We’ll never live in a home as beautiful.  It’s the town.  Getting smaller and smaller.  Grocery stores closing…must drive two hours round trip for restaurants or doctors.  Contractors are few and far between and only interested in a whole home remodel.  I’ve tried for three years to get a ground floor bathroom made accessible…no luck.  No bonded house cleaning services…. And my last family member died last year and I realize I have no family there anymore…most of my friends have also passed…. I need a larger town, a smaller newer home and a wider pool of potential new friends.

This is heartbreaking. 😢

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

This is heartbreaking. 😢

Don’t let my husband hear that!  I barely convinced him to look at houses!  I choose to look at it as a new beginning.  Lesser home, better town.  I’m only 62.  Only thing that worries me about moving is…moving the cats.  🙀🙀

• Like 8

@HBE4 I am with you re: holidays. I like to enjoy the Fall and Thanksgiving before moving onto Christmas. Each season has its’ special pleasures.

The first Christmas catalogue arrived in the mail today. I am thinking that I should start thinking about presents for our loved ones. Maybe after Halloween....

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 6

On 10/15/2022 at 1:29 PM, Luckynana said:

Hello my dear friends.  Jim and I got home Thursday evening from Halifax.  I've been too exhausted to read  any posts, or write until this evening.  I know the last time I'd posted was after having our lobster roll in Bar Harbor.  The next day we were in Portland and had a much better lobstah roll, along with excellent chowda.  That evening after having dinner in the Dining room, Jim started to feel uncomfortable.  We went back to the room and he just couldn't get comfortable....by 2:00 a.m., he said he had to go to Medical, since he was in too much pain.  The Doctor did some bloodwork and put him on an IV to hydrate him, and gave him some pain medicine.   We were scheduled to be in St. John in the morning, and the doctor advised us to get off the ship and go to the hospital there, so around 4:30 am I went to our room and packed everything up.  Jim came back upstairs around 6:30 and said we're to be back at Medical for 8:00 debarkation.  The Paramedics came on board and took Jim and I to the hospital.  Several tests were performed, and the Doctor felt it was Jim's Gallbladder.  The Doctor said it should come out.  Jim wanted to get back on the ship and thought he'd get it taken care of once the cruise was over, so we got back onto the ship.  Bad idea, since the next day we were at Sea, he wound up in the Infirmary hooked up to another IV.  Halifax was our next stop, and it became our home for the next week.   That was last Thursday.  Jim was taken to the ER and by evening was finally admitted.  Emergency surgery was performed early Friday morning.  Excellent care was given to Jim while there.  

So sorry to hear about Jim, but glad he had the surgery and was given execllent care. That must have been scary. I also had gall bladder issues on a ship. Had tests done and was told to take care of it when I got back. At least my pain was on the second to the last day of the cruise. It was just out of Fort Lauderdale so we didn't have to fly home. Wishing Jim a speedy recovery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Don’t let my husband hear that!  I barely convinced him to look at houses!  I choose to look at it as a new beginning.  Lesser home, better town.  I’m only 62.  Only thing that worries me about moving is…moving the cats.  🙀🙀

How far is the move, not sure I caught where you live now? 

We moved in a RV with a large cage inside for our cats...............The move was about 500 miles.

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/

Front view of standard RV, showing side with door.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Luckynana said:

@bobmaclibertyHow is Michelline since your cruises, Bob?  All good, I hope!

Micheline is doing great.  Thanks for asking.  She was almost good as new during our cruise to Hawaii.  She was more worried about moving too quickly the wrong way and popping her hip out again, than she was dealing with pain.  She's had some Active Release Therapy done in the past that's work very well for her and she originally called from Hawaii to book another treatment for when we got home.  By the end of our trip though she felt so good that she called and cancelled her ART treatment and replaced it with a massage. 😁

• Like 13

11 hours ago, helen haywood said:

@bobmacliberty We’re in your neck of the woods actually looking at houses…to move for good.  Took this today from our rental.  Not that we’re looking at oceanfront property!!

DF64D628-A88F-4695-A710-6AA649952D4C.jpeg

Welcome to the neighborhood (almost)!  Sorry to hear that you will be leaving your current house, but I think you'll love it here.  We were just saying how nice it is to return from a vacation to a place where it feels like you're on vacation all the time.  😁  Looks like your rental is in Amelia By The Sea??  We were across the street from you on Sunday at The Surf, watching football. 

Let me know if you have any questions that I can answer, or if you're looking for another opinion about anything.  Happy to help.  One thing we were told when we were looking, that we didn't know, is that the north part of the island is part of the city of Fernandina Beach and therefore you pay city taxes.  Outside of the FB city limits...no taxes.  I don't recall how much of a $$ difference that makes.  I don't think it was a lot, but something to consider.

Happy house hunting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Nnoooooo.

Lol, sorry.  I'm one of those guys that take my holidays one at a time.   No thinking of Christmas until after Thanksgiving.  Which is an improvement for me. Used to be no Christmas until the first week iof December. I might be in the minority with this. 🙂

However, as the song goes. We  need  little Christmas 

I'm with you!   

• Like 4

@helen haywood I understand why you want to move.  You will find a wonderful new home and someone else will have a lovely old home to enjoy.  Don't stress about the cats.  Cats sleep the majority of the day.  Mine are up for about an hour and then nap.  You can put them in good size carriers, they may fuss at first but should settle down and nap for the trip.  We moved seven cats and 2 dogs 12 hours to our current home.  The dogs were loose in the back with potty stops along the way.  I had 4 of the cats in carriers and they were fine all day until the last hour when it had gotten dark and they all woke up.  Then they started to complain a bit.  Our really old cat had a dog crate with a small litter box and water.  The first thing we did was set up litter boxes and water dishes for them and showed each one where everything was.  Then we put out food.  They spent a good amount of time walking each room.  My husband had 3 with him and he had the one on the 10 second delay all the way to Houston (2.5 hours).  Even he settled down eventually and took a nap.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

How far is the move, not sure I caught where you live now? 

We moved in a RV with a large cage inside for our cats...............The move was about 500 miles.

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/

Front view of standard RV, showing side with door.

You are braver than I!  I’d rather have two caterwauling cats for the five hour drive than attempt to navigate that!!  Are you for hire?  😜

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Happy house hunting.

Ha, ha.  As if.  I could find a house in an afternoon.  My husband is going to want to keep looking forever as he thinks there is only one house for us.  I think there are plenty I could be perfectly happy with.

Yes, we’re at Amelia by the Sea.  Had this trip scheduled before the hunt started.  

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

You are braver than I!  I’d rather have two caterwauling cats for the five hour drive than attempt to navigate that!!  Are you for hire?  😜

My Wife did give the cats some kind of pill that calmed them down the morning of our drive. Put each cat one at a time in a small carrier like you use when you take them to the vet. Take that carrier and then transfer them to the cage in the RV, The cage had a litter box water and food and some of their play toys, blankets, pillows that they are used too.

As far as driving the RV, it was super easy. You just take your time, you are not going to drive as fast as you would with a car. All the cats were very good on the trip, no problems at all.

Btw, you are the same age as me, so you could do the drive with no problem.

Where is your present house now?

Make me an offer I can't refuse and I may be for hire. 🙂

We took our time, drive in a car would have been about 8 hours, with the RV we took our time, probably made more stops in the RV then we would have in a car.......But made the drive in about 10 1/2 hours.

Once at our new house we took the cats one at a time  into our new house...........Putt the litter boxes in the laundry  room upstairs first to get them used to the house for about 2  weeks.

Then set up litter boxes down stairs in the mechanical room. Once they got used to the whole house.

With our Kitchen remodel going on, the cats adjust pretty fast. One day the old kitchen was there 2 days later the whole old kitchen was  removed and now it's one big open room. The cats walked around at first just looking around saying "What the heck"?  But now they are fine walking around upstairs again.

Another test will be when they start putting in the new kitchen, and then they will adjust again.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

On 10/15/2022 at 9:24 PM, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Just about all meat is “edible” if it’s fried right.  🙂

I had crocodile in Nairobi. 
it was yellowish and oily. 
Just about inedible, especially compared to gator. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2022 at 9:52 PM, A&L_Ont said:

Things we did today. 

1) Put away all the outside patio furniture.

2) Went for family photos, most likely for Christmas Cards. 

These are our photos of the backdrops to where they were taken. Minutes from our house. You all might get to see a photo early. 

7B3713A0-B693-47E6-AAD8-407D9771ADD0.thumb.jpeg.6c66094fab65918230b4b2a4d8a364a2.jpeg

B7D4DCAD-3830-44BA-B3D7-181126E37FFB.thumb.jpeg.5e536d8d108ebdefdc1dc97ee1866280.jpeg

C93580C3-2762-4B0A-A9CE-31EC095F2E65.thumb.jpeg.39f801d078f8889df3e84f8fbd6df346.jpeg

F4DFB14B-0125-4B90-8ABD-C1B619590CCD.thumb.jpeg.def8fbfe9e1afee5ac8e68486e11b09d.jpeg

The most absolutely gorgeous fall colors I’ve ever seen were in Canada. 
Mont Tremblant on a dirt road looking out at a lake. 
it was like looking at a miracle. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 10:47 PM, brillohead said:

My appendectomy scar from the early 1980s is pretty much invisible these days, even though it was several inches long. 

Laparoscopic surgery is sooooooo much easier to recover from than the old "stick your hands inside the patient" type!

My gall bladder scars from the mid 70’s are still so bad a surgeon looked at my abdomen and said “Who did this to you!”

First surgery looked like a machete hit me. Second surgery to finish it was another machete slash, not through the first wound. 
My colon cancer surgery looks like a slight discoloration. Very slight. 

• Like 4

On 10/15/2022 at 11:42 PM, HBE4 said:

For @Ocean Boy

A different kind of Lighthouse.  This one is in the Hudson River, just north of Hyde Park, home to FDR, the Vanderbilts and a few other Gilded Age old money millionaires, about 100 miles north of NYC.  There is a state park with hiking trails, abandoned mansions, etc. 

20221015_175321.thumb.jpg.46b38874e7d28d887452d99615b1eda2.jpg

Can't see it? Let me zoom in a bit.  Those are the Catskill mountains in the background, not clouds.

20221015_175326.thumb.jpg.0944b5d0805d0fb686e605f2a995f46d.jpg

One of the mansions being restored to become a museum.  

20221015_162144.thumb.jpg.59c825f77e4ba78cc0095e8eadef4977.jpg

20221015_182337.thumb.jpg.dd77ff4908d7981a01234938fddcfce4.jpg

The Hudson River has always been the most scenic to me. Of all the rivers anywhere!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, helen haywood said:

.  Only thing that worries me about moving is…moving the cats.  🙀🙀

My older daughter moved to Texas in March, here and I drove there from upstate NY with her cat.  25 hour drive, we did stop overnight.  it was fine her cat got used to it after a while, a couple of weeks before the big move we took her cat from NY to our place so she could pack in peace, I think that 4 hour drive was more difficult than the 25 hour drive.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 8:48 PM, Luckynana said:

Aw, thank you so much, Bonnie!  Jim was very well taken care of, and the employees in the hotel took good care of me, also.  They watched out for me.  It feels so great to be back home again,

I’m way late reading about your ordeal, and glad that you’re home and Jim’s recovering. 

Getting yourselves off the ship must have been a nightmare when you were already worried about him and if he’d be ok. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1