Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 minutes ago, mets07 said:

It is a bit more expensive than Bayonne, but they have adequate parking at the NYC pier. We have done it multiple times. We are much closer than you, however I imagine you are leaving early to drive to NJ, and would need to do the same for NYC.

We prefer Bayonne as we can just roll out of bed and be there!!!!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mets07 said:

It is a bit more expensive than Bayonne, but they have adequate parking at the NYC pier. We have done it multiple times. We are much closer than you, however I imagine you are leaving early to drive to NJ, and would need to do the same for NYC.

We usually come in the night before just in case.  We have driven the morning of the cruise once but it makes for a long day since we are up by 5am.  We would likely stay a couple of nights in NYC as we haven't been since before covid.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We prefer Bayonne as we can just roll out of bed and be there!!!!

We are in Bergen County NJ and can be in either place (Bayonne or NYC) within an hour. We also prefer Bayonne, but my point was that if you are making a four hour drive to Bayonne, it is not a drastic difference driving to NYC. Of course if we are starting to discuss staying in hotels, that is a whole other subject! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mets07 said:

We are in Bergen County NJ and can be in either place (Bayonne or NYC) within an hour. We also prefer Bayonne, but my point was that if you are making a four hour drive to Bayonne, it is not a drastic difference driving to NYC. Of course if we are starting to discuss staying in hotels, that is a whole other subject! 

My DH travels a lot for business, not an issue.  We have lots of rewards with Hilton and Marriott.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, DaniDanielle said:

For us getting to Manhattan is a pain.  Our only option is to drive and from here we never know how the bridges are going to be.  We did our one Norwegian cruise out of Manhattan but we were lucky enough to get a ride so no parking worries.

Understand. We are more used to it based on many years of driving to Manhattan for work or other reasons.  We have done 4 cruises out of Manhattan, and many more out of Bayonne. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Captains club numbers won't affect pricing for Celebrity.  They don't offer balcony discounts.  You do get a one category upgrade within the supercategory.  Pay for an E2 infinite veranda and get berthed in an E1

You are correct about the category upgrade…except the ship being discussed is Summit which does not have infinite verandas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I hate those excursions that say you are too old to book them.  I have been told it an insurance decision for whatever individual operator Royal is using, and the age limitations are not determined by Royal.  They probably had too many people over a certain age getting injured in some fashion, so insurance carrier would tell them to put an age limit on them.  Of course, it probably doesn’t make much sense, since they have everyone sign a waiver anyhow.  It is just those out-of-shape old people that give us old people, that stay in shape, a bad name.

I would book Summit again in a heartbeat.  I liked that ship.

We have done two side by sides on RCI cruises since, we were last told that we were too old to book an excursion of the exact same nature.  My name here is XP… CDOO. SEADOO J me K DW…. I live on adventure sports, it is what I am.  I waterski, I wake surf, I ride the FlowRider, I ride side by sides, I snow ski, I play golf, heck I only quit playing softball a few years ago.  I get told I am too old to ride a side by side by RCI when it is no more adventurous than mowing the yard.  Wow…

Frustrating, I get it the lawyers run the world defending their client the insurance company, but good lord it sucks.

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk
  • Like 7

I would think sailing from NY City would be great… like the old days.  You could easily take the subway to the dock, I would like that.  

That said, I don’t think Royal ever sails from the city.  Royal is the only cruise with a Flowrider, so at this point don’t care where other ships sail from! 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Did anyone hear the story about a newborn baby rescued in the debris from the Earthquakes in Turkey?    Her Mother gave birth during or right after the earthquake as the baby was still connected by umbilical cord but the Mother and Father had passed away.     It's a Miracle he or she is a live.   God Bless this baby🙏

That’s horrible, but glad the baby is alive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Bayonne is garage (home) to garage (port)without any transportation involved, in one hour, so works for us.

We have done the train option to NYC pier many times. Just tired of it now. 😉

I think that which side of the Hudson River one lives on can have a big influence on opinions as trying to get across it can at times be challenging to say the least. 

Of course, showing up in NYC with a car is often no walk in the park either. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, mets07 said:

We are too and love not having to fly.  Taking the repositioning jewel cruise in November.  Was on the anthem and oasis last year.  Would like to see different itinerary’s 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't know as I haven't looked into it recently. However, we did sail Celebrity years ago from NYC to Bermuda and it was a very positive experience. 

Celebrity (and Royal) now sails from Bayonne.
I agree about sailaways from NYC, the thrill of almost reaching your hand out to touch Lady Liberty 😁 with Alicia Keys' New York playing in the back ground sitting on the Waterfront (NCL ships) or on top deck for bet views, but we now do what we do for convenience purpose.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think that which side of the Hudson River one lives on can have a big influence on opinions as trying to get across it can at times be challenging to say the least. 

Of course, showing up in NYC with a car is often no walk in the park either. 

Absolutely true!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maggieq said:

We are too and love not having to fly.  Taking the repositioning jewel cruise in November.  Was on the anthem and oasis last year.  Would like to see different itinerary’s 

We have this cruise booked also.  We’re trying to figure out our options. 
1. Take the train/commuter rail to Newark Airport the day before, stay overnight in a hotel and Uber to port.  Fly home from San Juan to Providence. 
2. Drive to Bayonne the morning of the cruise, park at the port, fly back to Newark from San Juan and Uber to the port to get our car. 
3. Drive to Bayonne the day before, use a cruise stay-n-park hotel, fly back to Newark from San Juan and Uber to hotel to get our car. 
If anyone here has done something like this, input is greatly appreciated.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I was going through all my pictures last night and found this one I forgot to post, taken from our stop at Great Stirrup Cay.  This is Oasis and Enchantment at CocoCay.  I love how it shows the size difference. 36140DFA-E199-4A62-9A3E-AB1BF8BBC439.thumb.jpeg.385df0ba1d234b1f6aacf2f9a878b1e9.jpeg

Case in point, Size does matter !!

One is a cruise ship and the other is a floating city/hotel/amusement park.

Icon will be even larger 😞

Royal Caribbean Ships by Size Largest to Smallest Infographic

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We have this cruise booked also.  We’re trying to figure out our options. 
1. Take the train/commuter rail to Newark Airport the day before, stay overnight in a hotel and Uber to port.  Fly home from San Juan to Providence. 
2. Drive to Bayonne the morning of the cruise, park at the port, fly back to Newark from San Juan and Uber to the port to get our car. 
3. Drive to Bayonne the day before, use a cruise stay-n-park hotel, fly back to Newark from San Juan and Uber to hotel to get our car. 
If anyone here has done something like this, input is greatly appreciated.  

We did something like this once, but traveling the other way...........Stayed at a ParkNFly near Newark Airport. Flew to San Juan, got on a Repo  on Empress of the Seas(2003), at that time they did port right in downtown Manhattan, NYC..............Then from there we got an Uber to take us back to the hotel where our car was at and then drive back home to South Jersey.

It's a full day traveling for sure. Yours might be a little easier, ending up at Newark Airport, ours ending up in the City, we ended up dealing with ALOT more traffic then you will from EWR to Bayonne.

When we did this I don't even think the Bayonne Port(1st sailing 2004) was even there at that time, this was a long time ago.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1