Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I am sitting here calmly under a tornado, hail storm watch.  Been there, done that.  I just yawn and wait for things to get back to normal.  Hope all our Dallas area friends stay safe.

We were under tornado warning for over a half hour last night.  Ryan and I were prepared to go into our pantry under the stairs;  Jim and two of our daughters and grandsons were at the High School production of The Little Mermaid, where our grandson Jack was in charge of the Sound effects for the play.  Everyone's phone warnings went off at the same time while Ariel was singing...she just continued on.

I hope the tornado watch doesn't change to a warning for you and Jack.  Stay safe!!!!

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

You go first and let us know.

You beat me to it, OB!😉  I was going to say the same to Greg!

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, akcruz said:

South?? We cant find a good bagel here in SC, nothing compares to a good NJ/NY bagel.  

Agree I moved to Dallas in 1982 from New York City, we all made frequent trips to New York we would bring back bagels , Italian bread and pastrami since they more or less didn’t exist , I used to visit New York about 6 times a year back then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

No.  That would be shrimp that goes on grits.  Cheese grits for us.

I LOVE shrimp and grits!!  The first time we had shrimp and grits was in a restaurant in Charleston, S.C.  It was amazing!!  I mean, with that much butter, how could it not be amazing?  So good!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I LOVE shrimp and grits!!  The first time we had shrimp and grits was in a restaurant in Charleston, S.C.  It was amazing!!  I mean, with that much butter, how could it not be amazing?  So good!

We have tried grits a few times since being here.  Some were wonderful, others not so much, still trying to figure out who has the good stuff.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

A response to a post on this thread realated to, well let's just say, it had nothing to do with kitchen renovations....

You are a Unique Individual....as are one million other people just like you! ☺️ If that was directed at me. 

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

South?? We cant find a good bagel here in SC, nothing compares to a good NJ/NY bagel.  

Don't look for any good bagels in Virginia either, have yet to find any here since we moved from NJ.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, akcruz said:

We have tried grits a few times since being here.  Some were wonderful, others not so much, still trying to figure out who has the good stuff.

I have grown to love grits.  The small diner in the next town over has great ones.  For those that don’t know grits, they are ground corn.  The best are stone ground.  I have heard that the only difference between grits and polenta is the grind.  Grits are usually served at breakfast and most people add butter and pepper.  Or they are served with cheese, often with shrimp.  Instant grits taste like wet sand.

There were a couple of places in Atlanta that had bagels.  Around where I live the only ones available are Thomas at the grocery store.  I know a real bagel person would not consider that a bagel.  I’ve tried to bake my own, but they weren’t very good.  I do bake my own English muffins.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The only thing we avoid in Chops is their lobster bisque.   Not sure how they make it but it is not the type of lobster bisque we are used to have at other restaurants

Totally agree. Their Lobster Bisque is not good. Wrong color and no pieces of lobster in it. The sauce should be a more creamy orange pink. I don’t know what they do to make it look like a brown sauce but it’s not good.

1EA02F6A-E358-4875-9C6E-DBC6B067994A.png.cd1df092305ec126077890dd537ba411.png

Chops not good.

4BBA8A47-9DFB-4833-ACB2-2F42A6C6E0EE.thumb.jpeg.b56d2d6bfd9b42320312f1df1007f714.jpeg

What it should look like.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

We were under tornado warning for over a half hour last night.  Ryan and I were prepared to go into our pantry under the stairs;  Jim and two of our daughters and grandsons were at the High School production of The Little Mermaid, where our grandson Jack was in charge of the Sound effects for the play.  Everyone's phone warnings went off at the same time while Ariel was singing...she just continued on.

I hope the tornado watch doesn't change to a warning for you and Jack.  Stay safe!!!!

You beat me to it, OB!😉  I was going to say the same to Greg!

Glad you and John's family are okay. They have tornado warnings (or tornadoes?) in New Jersey? I did not know that. All these geography and weather (and food 😄) things I am learning. Thanks! 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You belong up North.

That's where I started.  I do hot weather a lot easier than cold.  Although I do really enjoy vacationing up North on occasion.   We been considering visiting the New England area.  We would love to visit the Mayflower,  Old Ironside the Plymouth Colony etc.

A couple of thinks I have learned to love in the South,  Crappie,  Catfish, BBQ pork with coleslaw, Brisket etc.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ATG said:

I do bake my own English muffins.

I have thought about trying to bake some but haven't tried it yet.  I love English muffins!

As for grits, I may need to try them again.   I am wondering if the first time I tried them they were instant grits.  Trying anything with shrimp on them is worth a try.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

That's where I started.  I do hot weather a lot easier than cold.  Although I do really enjoy vacationing up North on occasion.   We been considering visiting the New England area.  We would love to visit the Mayflower,  Old Ironside the Plymouth Colony etc.

A couple of thinks I have learned to love in the South,  Crappie,  Catfish, BBQ pork with coleslaw, Brisket etc.

Well, here is the Mayflower for you...

20220403_134830.thumb.jpg.06dd359dd6de801b22b8d82c085d359a.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, George C said:

Storm passed us without damage, we had to move stuff so we could fix wife’s new Subaru Outback in garage while my old car was on the street since garage is filled with other furniture while kitchen is being remodeled.

Never had biscuits and gravy until moving to Dallas never saw white gravy either , really enjoy that now. 
  I read paperbacks either bought new or half price., I read mystery like Baldacci, Child, Patterson, I buy wife newest hardcover she reads mostly biography type 

We had torrential rain but luckily no tornadoes or hail.  Glad we all dodged the bullet this time including @Luckynana in NJ.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Do you folks put it on your grits?😉😊

Jack discovered on one of his past business trips he loves grits.  Plain grits.  I honestly have no idea what it is or how it's made.

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

How do you like your grits? Regular, creamy or AL Dente?

And you don't use instant grits, right? No self-respecting Southern would use instant grits! 

*** pumps fist in air *** Yes!  I worked two My Cousin Vinny quotes in one post. 😃

And let's not forget the 1st one in the movie "a grit, what's a grit"?  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, here is the Mayflower for you...

20220403_134830.thumb.jpg.06dd359dd6de801b22b8d82c085d359a.jpg

Thanks.  As a child we lived in Massachusetts for a year.   I remember touring the ship.  It looks smaller to me now.  Do they still let tourist board it?

This is the time we all became lobster 🦞 lovers.  Dad used to cook them at home.  Good memories. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks.  As a child we lived in Massachusetts for a year.   I remember touring the ship.  It looks smaller to me now.  Do they still let tourist board it?

This is the time we all became lobster 🦞 lovers.  Dad used to cook them at home.  Good memories. 

It has been completely refurbished. The picture is at Mystic Seaport where they did the work and just before going back to MA. Yes it can be boarded.

Can't find my pictures of the Constitution (Old Ironsides).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dpostman said:

If I may, I'd like to make a book recommendation.  It is non-fiction.

The Myth of Normal, by Gabor Maté.  This would interest a wider audience than the title would imply.  I would recommend this to anyone in the Health or Education services, and also anyone that may be going through some challenging times.  I just finished it last week.  It is a bit out of my usual genre (Steven Pinker, Michio Kaku...) but It has changed my perspective, understanding and compassion for people.

image.png.9688d38407915c9a6ba9f30f34fa504d.png

dp

By any chance does the author reference the MPLP ?